Game 1 of the NLCS, Anibal Sanchez takes a no-hitter into the 8th inning.  Game 2, Max Scherzer takes a no-hitter into the 7th.  No two pitchers on the same team have taken no-hitters past the 6th inning in history in consecutive games in the postseason.

The only thing close is when two pitchers took no-hitters into the 5th inning in consecutive games in the ALCS six years ago for the Tigers.  Guess who those two pitchers were?  Yup... Sanchez and Scherzer.  Damn.  On Monday night, the Nat's have some bum named Stephen Strasburg taking the mound.  GO NATS!

PH

irwin posted:

Should be in the 40's tonight at game time in St. Louis, after some drizzle.  Ideal weather for baseball.  World series scheduled to start on Oct. 22.  I sort of hope the Yankees beat Houston, just to watch the Yankee fans shiver during the home world series games.

Pray for snow!!   Yankees deserve it

The Washington Nationals become the first MLB team from Washington to make it to the world series since 1933.  In the Washington suburbs there is a high school named "Walter Johnson High School" named, obviously, for the great pitcher of that era. (Actually, his last year was 1927).  Walter Johnson, the pitcher, threw 5900 innings and gave up fewer than 100 home runs in his career, against 3500+ strikeouts.

Anyway, if the Nationals can rest up while the AL teams battle it out, their pitching should be in good shape for the series.  Maybe they will name a high school after Strasburg or Scherzer.

Good for Nats.  I watched zero baseball this season but have been catching some of the playoff action. Having not really followed baseball, it is really interesting to see how the strike zone has changed.  A lot of these high pitches would never ever have been called strikes in the 90s early 2000s.  

Gerrit Cole is a nasty pitcher - didn't even have his best stuff last night.  Not sure if anyone saw the sequence, where he got a questionable low and away fastball called a strike, the next pitch slider looked that same pitch was the the exact spot, and the hitter had to swing based on the previous call and the thing dove like 8 inches - it looked like I was swinging or something.  Awesome

patespo1 posted:

Haven't watched an inning of playoff baseball this year, just popping in to wish PH and his Nationals good luck in the WS.  Oh, and F@ck the Yankees! (Love you DD).  

Thanks, Pat!  It's been a real rollercoaster of a season.  After they put up 7 in the 1st inning, I thought I might get to relax and enjoy the rest of the game stress free.  Should have known that wasn't happening.  Hope they can stay loose and be ready next Tuesday.  GO NATS!!

PH

Exciting finish to the Astros/Yankees game.  Big disappointment with the Yankees home run to tie the game in the ninth, followed by Altuves blast to win the game.  Seemed very appropriate for Altuve to win the game, how he hits the ball so far with his size is amazing.

Go Astros!

So the world series will be between 2 cities named for Generals.  Besides being generals, both were heads of state. Washington was President of the US.  Houston was President of the Republic of Texas.

Washington was sworn into office for his second term on March 4, 1793.  Sam Houston was born on March 2, 1793. 

Washington was known, among other things, for throwing a dollar coin across the Rappahannock river.  As a kid, I went to that place with my family and there is a plaque there which commemorates that event.  The river is quite wide, and it seemed to me that there was no way a human could throw anything across the river at that location.  I asked my brother what he thought.  He said, "Well, it's like Dad says..... A dollar doesn't go as far these days as it used to go."

Nats up 2-0. 

Justin Verlander has 225 wins, 3,006 regular season strikeouts, a record 202 postseason Ks.  He’s got eight All-Star selections, the 2011 Cy Young Award and Most Valuable Player award.

He is also the first pitcher in the history of MLB to lose his first five World Series decisions.

csm posted:

Jose Andres to throw out first pitch tonight in DC.  Interesting choice. 

He's actually scheduled to throw the first pitch in game 5.  I love Jose, but am hoping he doesn't get the chance.  Also, "he who should not be named" says he's planning on attending game 5 as well.  One strong reason to hope for a sweep.

PH

Congratulations to Carlos Carrasco for being the recipient of the Roberto Clemente Award which recognizes a player’s philanthropic contributions and community involvement.  Carrasco is a starting pitcher for the Cleveland Indians and was diagnosed with leukemia earlier in the year.

irwin posted:

Saturday night’s game could be rained out.  This could disrupt the schedule of the potus 

I predict he doesn’t show up anyway

Rain not forecast until after midnight tonight.  I think we're good to go.  Again, the idiot-in-chief has indicated he'd attend Game 5.  That would be tomorrow night.  Forecast for Sunday night is 67F at game time, with an almost zero chance of rain.  I really do not want the dotard anywhere near the ballpark tomorrow.  Nothing good can come from it.

GO NATS!!  C'mon Corbin!!

PH

For the 4th time these playoffs, it's again "win or go home" time for the Nationals.  Can't think of a pitcher I'd rather have on the mound tonight other than Strasburg.  Hope he can keep the adrenaline under control early on.

No matter what happens tonight, I'm very proud of our guys.  They are not just a team, they're a band of brothers.  Fun stuff.  Hope to be watching tomorrow.

GO NATS!!! 

PH

purplehaze posted:
csm posted:

I can't believe they didn't let Strasburg finish that one last night.  Taking him out was criminal. 

Apparently he signaled that he was done.  It was his call.  He was gassed.  Epic performance.

PH

I didn’t see any of the game. That’s incredibly smart and unselfish of him to do. 

purplehaze posted:
csm posted:

I can't believe they didn't let Strasburg finish that one last night.  Taking him out was criminal. 

Apparently he signaled that he was done.  It was his call.  He was gassed.  Epic performance.

PH

Makes sense then. I was wondering what they were doing. I thought leave him in until there is a baserunner.  I thought he'd hit the 100 pitch mark so modern analytics dictate he come out.  

99 pitches fine.  101 game over 

Add Reply

Likes (0)