About 19 days before opening day.

Joe Kelly, reliever for the Dodgers, is out of action. Strained his back by "standing too long" cooking Cajun food. Probably the injury of the year.  Gumbo is a dangerous thing.

Original Post

Giving some love to the baseball thread here ...

- Ichiro retired after playing two games in Tokyo.  If you haven’t seen some of his career highlights, I highly recommend it.  It includes a laser throw from right field to throw out a fast base runner going from first to third, an inside-the-Park HR in an all-star game, and one-inning pitched in the last game of the season a couple of years ago.  First ballot HoF.

- Have the Yankees improved enough to beat the Astros?  

- How many games will Orioles win?

Hockey blows.

Opening day today.  Orioles visiting Yankees. Should be around 50 degrees, which is tolerable. 

I think the Orioles may win 62 games.  I have a bet with a friend on this...a steak dinner.  He thinks the Orioles will do much better than that.  He knows more about the current team than I do. 

Have the Yankees improved enough to beat the Astros? Or, put another way, have the Astros deproved (is that the opposite of improved?). Time will tell.  As Yogi Berra said, "It's hard to make predictions.......especially about the future.

And, yes, hockey blows.

Chris Davis.......
He’s the Orioles sometime 1st baseman, sometime DH.  The link is to his “achievement” in September 2018, the prior month he played.  You’ll see that he struck out on 9/21/18 four times in four at bats.  On 9/22/18 he struck out 3 times in 5 at bats.  So that is 7 strikeouts in 9 at bats.  All were at NY against the Yankees.
The Orioles opened the season today against the Yankees in NY.  Davis struck out in all three at bats.  So that makes 10 strikeouts in 12 at bats, all at NY.
He “earns” $23 million per year.   
Good grief.
John Means.....He’s a new Oriole pitcher. Turns 25 I think later in April.
In yesterday’s Oriole game at NY, when John Means gave up a home run in the 7th inning to Gary Sanchez, on Means’ 75th pitch, I felt that Manager Hyde would have been more than justified in pulling Means.  But, Means got the final out of the inning, and the inning ended peacefully.  Means wound up getting the win.

So, I guess, the ends do justify the Means?
bomba503 posted:

Harper signing looking pretty darn good thus far

Yup!  It didn't take him long to remind his former team how good he can be.  Still, not to sorry he's gone.  Nats need to lock down Anthony Rendon this year.  Probably my favorite National.  Just a great guy, and wonderful baseball player.

PH

oriole pitchers have now given up 57 HRs.  No team had ever given up more than 50 through the month of April. More days in April to pad the record ahead.  Not the kind of record you want to get.  This is in 23 games. (57 HRs in 23 games? Yikes) . 

Meanwhile, they played a double header on Saturday. The two teams combined in the doubleheader for 17 Home Runs, a major league record.

Orioles team ERA is well over 6.  Last in the majors.  They've used two position players so far as pitchers, including Chris Davis, who can't pitch like a pitcher, but he hits like one.

Not good.

I feel for you Irwin.  Seems like you love baseball, but your team is in the crapper.  Us San Diego fans no nothing about it. 

My favorite team, the A's, were handed a big blow when their best starter got suspended for 80 games and is ineligible for the playoffs.  Their ace closer is also hurt, and our number one set up guy from last year is pitching horribly.  Yet the A's keep battling and are still over .500.  I love their effort.  

Add Reply

Likes (0)