Skip to main content

I figured we needed a new thread where Board-O and Icewino can have at each other so here it is.

As for me, I am optimistic that the Giants now have enough hitting to support the best pitching staff in the majors. I am hoping for a good year.

However, some people around my school are having a little fun at my expense and I can't figure out whether it is my students or colleagues or administrators.

Two days ago, somebody taped a drawing on my classroom door with that ugly LA logo on it.

Yesterday, it happened again.

Today, my door is PLASTERED with drawings.

Then, right in the middle of my first period, an office TA brings to me a paper grocery bag that has been stapled shut. At this point I have a pretty good idea what is going on, so I shake the bag and think that it is a blue baseball hat with that ugly LA on it. My students are starting to laugh, and some of them know what is happening. I open the bag and it isn't a hat, but something wrapped in another grocery bag. I open it up and I see this horrible blue plastic with the D*$#%rs logo. I promptly drop kicked it out of my room.

When I find out who is doing this, retribution will be swift, and it will be merciless.

GlennK, if I find out you have anything to do with this all the way from London, you can forget the Flannery Rib Cap! Razz
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ah yes ... I'm surprised Icewino didn't start this thread. Nothing like baseball to signal warm weather, women in bikinis, and steaks on a charcoal grill.

I have a rotis draft next week with the 3rd pick. I don't think I'll be drafting Lincecum, but I do like Kung Fu Panda and Matt Cain somewhere in Rounds 6-9.

Go Yanks!
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Ah yes ... I'm surprised Icewino didn't start this thread. Nothing like baseball to signal warm weather, women in bikinis, and steaks on a charcoal grill.

I have a rotis draft next week with the 3rd pick. I don't think I'll be drafting Lincecum, but I do like Kung Fu Panda and Matt Cain somewhere in Rounds 6-9.

Go Yanks!

If there had been any sign of warm weather, girls in bikinis or grilling in these parts I would have started one up.

I think the Yankee's will slaughter inferior pitching all year long and win the AL East. The Red Sox however will roll to the wild card and through the post season to a championship IF their staff stays relatively healthy. The playoff schedule change will make it much harder for teams to get by with only three good starters like the Yanks did last year.

I'm not really looking forward to the Easter night kickoff. Just a money grab for MLB. Dumb that the Yanks, after winning it all last year, have to come to Boston in early April to start the season. Wouldn't be uncommon to have some snow then and I'm pretty sure it won't be a warm enjoyable night out on an early April eve in Boston.

Any friendly wagers out there this year? I'm up for something to keep it intersting if anyone else is.
Excited for baseball season as always, despite the Dodgers doing nothing in the offseason due to the divorce. The NL west should be a great race this year with the Dodgers, Giants and Rockies all with good young teams, and the D-backs not that far off if Webb can come back strong.

My predictions:

NL:
Dodgers
Cards
Phillies
Braves (wild card)

AL:
Yanks
White Sox
Angles
Rays (wild card)

World Series:
Phillies over Yanks with Halladay making the difference. The Dodgers just don’t have the pitching depth to do any damage in the playoffs.
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:

As for me, I am optimistic that the Giants now have enough hitting to support the best pitching staff in the majors. I am hoping for a good year.

:

Me too. That's why I drafted Aaron Rowand. He said his hitting hitch is fixed and is now leading off. With Sandoval behind him, he'll score if he gets on. And he's having a fine spring. The hope is he gets .290/80/15/60/10. But in the 21st round, if he doesn't I won't bitch. Oh and he'll help the real team too.

As for the Mets, I'm hoping for a race in the East. There are no Major League clubs here, but the Minor league affiliations of the Orioles, Nats, and Braves are scattered locoregionally, so I root some for them as well.

I like Glenn K's predictions,except I think Boston beats out the Rays for the wild card in the East and the Angels [not the Angles] win the West Cool
I'm sure most outside of Minneapolis, Detroit & Chicago will not care about it too much, but it will be interesting to see how the AL Central race plays out. None of them may get to 90 wins, but it should be quite a race. A lot of people seem to be leaning towards the Sox, which is probably the sensible call, but I am hoping the Tigers get it together and win the division this year (and not blow it away like last year).
My predictions:

NL:
Giants
Brewers
Braves
Phillies (wild card)

I think Manny will start imploding and bring the Dodgers with him. I realize the Cardinals are the obvious pick for the NL Central, but the Brewers behind Gallardo and pitching coach Peterson will put these guys over an injury-plagued season for Pujols and team. You would think Halladay will keep the Phillies on top, but I think the rest of their starting rotation and relief will blow a lot of games. Braves are well balanced and will make a good run for their manager.

AL:
Yanks
Twins
Rangers
Red Sox (wild card)

The Vasquez signing was a good insurance for a weak back end rotation, but the Yanks relief and consistent offense will make up for it. I think the Red Sox will just barely beat out the Rays and the White Sox for the wildcard. Jon Lester will be the stud pitcher out of the group. Beckett and Lackey will be good but not great. Say sayonara to Dice-K, adios to Big Pappi, and good-bye to Varitek. I see the Red Sox leading the league in Ks from both pitching and hitting perspective and also in double-play groundouts. The Rangers will finally win the West after consistently wilting in the Texas heat in August because of their offense and improved relief corp.

World Series:
Yanks over Giants in 6 games. I'll give 2 games to the Giants for Lincecum.
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
This morning, I had the pleasure of tossing a kid out of my first period for wearing an old Steve Sax jersey. Not the Yankees jersey. I told him he could come back to class when the jersey was off and stuffed into his backpack.

If all goes well...I'll be able to see that SoCal team lose down in Miami on the 10th.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:
CC looks like he ate well in the off season. He must be pushing three bills now. Doesn't appear to have affected his stuff though.
CC had plenty to celebrate during the offseason.

Not so much to celebrate after last night though. Hope he enjoyed the off season.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.