Skip to main content

At local brasserie Saint Lawrence (Paris bistro month; prix fixe 3-course menus ended last night), we took/had

- NV Charles Heidsieck Champagne Brut Reserve, solid, tasty

- 2005 Clos L'Eglise Pomerol, big nose of lead pencil and blackcurrant, more like Pauillac, similar in the mouth, some black pepper, plum, anise, rich texture, long finish with very fine tannins. Excellent, might still improve a bit

- 2004 Domaine du Pegau Chateauneuf Cuvée Réservée, loaded with aroma and flavour, plum, beef, cherry, black licorice, dark chocolate, garrigue, black pepper flavours swirl in the mouth, ripe, very silky, very long finish that fades slowly. Outstanding, and no rush to finish these off

Last edited by seaquam
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

2019 Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc

This is objectively not as good a wine as the upper tier Dragonettes, especially the Vogelzang. But… damn. I don’t know how many of these I’ve consumed over the years; it’s gotta be my most consumed wine. It is just so drinkable. Tangerine and citrus leaves. A hint of guava. Just a touch of oak. A *slight* hint of RS. Simple. Delicious.

Last edited by winetarelli
@seaquam posted:

At our fish place last night, 2009 Domaine Baumard Savennières Clos de Saint Yves, super-minerally, melon with hint of peach, excellent acidity, long clean finish. Went great with all the fish dishes (and French fries), but spectacular with fresh PEI oysters. Yum!

164F480F-E8BC-4CE0-BE69-84C6C3F13486

Great wine. I used to buy them very often. Glad to see it showed well with such age on the bottle.

Last night, in completely unwarranted anticipation of making a tidy profit on Kentucky Derby bets (which I certainly didn’t) we had a bottle of NV Pol Roger Champagne Réserve, a really solid and tasty wine. This and Charles Heidsieck Réserve are my easy go-to bubblies; don’t recall ever having a disappointing bottle of either.

9BE60632-7A1D-4560-A76A-8389333F9049

Tonight, with roast chicken and braised lentils and vegetables, a 2007 Mathilde and Yves Gangloff Côte-Rôtie La Barbarine, which released lovely aromatics right away, plum, berries, sandalwood, raw beef; quite plush in the mouth and seems to still be evolving in the decanter. Yum!!

A5F4098F-2914-44F9-957E-CB0485FAE985

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 9BE60632-7A1D-4560-A76A-8389333F9049
  • A5F4098F-2914-44F9-957E-CB0485FAE985

Friends are taking us to dinner at an old-school Italian restaurant tonight. I’m bringing a 2006 Masi Amarone Classico Campolongo di Torbe.  I last had one in 2016, when it showed ripe and rich but still had a fair amount of tannin. If it’s shed some of that tannin in the last few years, this should be spectacular. Here’s hoping!🤞

903D0442-E75C-4800-B9A6-B85D7C855B72

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 903D0442-E75C-4800-B9A6-B85D7C855B72

Laherte Freres “Les Beaudiers” Rosé de Saignée Extra Brut (2015 Base; 04-2019 Disgorgement)

I’m going to be so pissed off when the rest of the world figures out that this winery is truly world-class. Nothing like the Rosé de Meunier, although also 100% Pinot Meunier. Raspberry, peach, and bread dough. A little limestone and a long finish. Tasted warmer than ideal (closer to cellar temperature than fully chilled, maybe about 48-60F over the course of drinking) but absolutely doesn’t matter. This rocks. At ~ $65 this is better than NV Billecart; though, despite being more fruity,  it is a bit more serious, too.

@winetarelli posted:

Laherte Freres “Les Beaudiers” Rosé de Saignée Extra Brut (2015 Base; 04-2019 Disgorgement)

I’m going to be so pissed off when the rest of the world figures out that this winery is truly world-class. Nothing like the Rosé de Meunier, although also 100% Pinot Meunier. Raspberry, peach, and bread dough. A little limestone and a long finish. Tasted warmer than ideal (closer to cellar temperature than fully chilled, maybe about 48-60F over the course of drinking) but absolutely doesn’t matter. This rocks. At ~ $65 this is better than NV Billecart; though, despite being more fruity,  it is a bit more serious, too.

JJB had a close out of this last year for only 25$/btl!!!  I got the case and you are correct, it is absolutely delicious with loads of fresh crushed red berry notes!

GLast night with pizza, opened 2013 Orin Swift Abstract, but very badly corked. Had a tiny taste, and behind the wall of wet cardboard there seems to be some nice berry fruit. It’s been years since I’ve had a bottle corked this intensely. Too bad.

Tonight, dinner at the local fish place. Taking 2002 Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Rare, one of my half-dozen all-time favourite bubblies. Also, to have with dessert (don’t usually bother with this, but they’ve been featuring fruit-based desserts which have all sounded very appealing) 2005 Kracher No. 10 Chardonnay Trockenbeerenauslese, a very special stickie that has turned quite amber in the last couple of years; might be approaching the end of its shelf life.

7477CC61-53EE-475F-B400-ABD5B3134BD2

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 7477CC61-53EE-475F-B400-ABD5B3134BD2
Last edited by seaquam

2017 Ridge Montebello (a not unexpected way too young)

2010 Conn Valley Eloge, drinking very well with notes of sweet vanilla, blackberry notes and a smooth dusty chocolate aftertaste

1970 Fonseca  X mas spice and all things nice.  A wonderful specimen of port.  Notes of brown sugar, fine spirits, caramel, allspice and azest of cinnamon giving one a long minute + finish that just lingers to the next sip.

Tonight with vegetable and lentil soup and a nice green olive bread, 2016 Brewer Clifton Pinot Noir Santa Rita Hills; lovely berry and cherry nose, same on the palate with some black tea, very silky, medium-long finish with some cherry pit emerging late in the game, perfect counterpoint to the ripe fruit. Very nice, really easy to drink quickly.

2F82BBC5-3B75-4301-B7B9-733EDF39024C

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 2F82BBC5-3B75-4301-B7B9-733EDF39024C
Last edited by seaquam
@seaquam posted:

Tonight with spicy chicken legs In the air fryer, and spicy green beans, I’m having beer, but my lovely wife and daughter aren’t keen on that so they get 2015 Selbach Oster Riesling Kabinett Halbtrocken Zeltinger Himmelreich. That really lengthy name says it all.😊

E319DCC7-1CAC-409D-A74B-CA7E7AA838EE

Good choice in beer!  (And wine.)  The original Pilsner and still easily the best (mass produced) there is.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.