Red meat (in quantity) has been pretty scarce around here. My usual haunts such as Costco, Cash & Carry, and Restaurant Depot have been ravaged. But we have a business Costco nearby that still had a few things. I picked up a 12 lb. shoulder clod that I plan to smoke like a brisket on Memorial Day weekend, but for tonight, I got a 14 lb. boneless top loin that I will cut into 2" steaks for the grill. To be paired with some large Russet bakers, a frisee salad, fresh sourdough bread, and a 2016 Hess Collection Holiday Cuvee cabernet.

There were plenty of beef in one of the Costco’s near my house.  But prices seemed higher than I remember.  Prime ribeyes were $14.99/lb.  I passed.  I picked up some chuck shoulder for a stew at $8.99/lb - still a buck or two more than I’ve paid in the past I think.

T-Bones on the grill, Caesar salad and sliced Roma Tomatoes.

No shortage of beef here for awhile. I picked up a hind quarter from a local abattoir in early March.

Only pandemic planning my wife has given me credit for.

Marinated flank steak tacos at my wife’s request for her birthday dinner. Followed by an apple cake. Margaritas for her and beer for me.

@billhike posted:

Marinated flank steak tacos at my wife’s request for her birthday dinner. Followed by an apple cake. Margaritas for her and beer for me.

It is funny how we conflate "good" with expensive or rare when it comes to food (and many things, I suppose). There is very little better than a perfectly made flank steak taco. Happy birthday to your wife!

We ordered a feast of carry-out Indian food tonight that will give us several leftover portions. Tandoori veggies, chicken tikka, lamb vindaloo, matar paneer. Yum.

Last four nights, each with a glass of old barolo:

Veal osso buco; turkey pilaf with lancinato kale and soldier beans; BBQ beef back ribs; spaghetti alla Bolognese.

Last edited by javachip

Can't compete with much of the above.  I had a busy day at work, so I'm going to have the lunch I packed that I never got the chance to eat.  Black Forest Ham, Genoa Salami and Smoked Gouda on gnarly multigrain bread with horseradish mustard and some spicy V-8.  

PH

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.