Skip to main content

Did a virtual tasting while we were up in Napa with our friend who owns the Heron House in Yountville.  It's a new tasting room/coop with some small family owned wineries.  They delivered the wines to our house and then we did a zoom call for the tasting. Hope they make it through these times...great concept and fun wines that I wouldn't usually get to taste while up in Napa:

2018 Zeitgeist Trousseau Gris

2016 Steltzner Stags Leap Sangiovese

2018 Myriad Sangiacomo Vineyard Syrah

2016 Switchback Ridge Merlot

2017 Hobel Cabernet The Arris

Obviously a biased opinion since I know the proprietor, but the virtual tasting was actually pretty fun. The wines were great, and it was the first time I tasted the Zeitgeist, Switchback Ridge, and the Hobel.  Switchback Ridge was probably the the group favorite. That, along with the Zeitgeist, is something I'll definitely be looking into in the future.  If you've had and enjoyed Mike Smith wines before, you'd love the Steltzner Sangiovese (unabashedly Napa).  The Hobel was tight and definitely tasted better on day 2 than after only a couple of hours of being open when initially tasted.  It's a TRB wine, and definitely had the stuffing, but was for sure something that needs a bit of time.  

@steve8 posted:

That was my second bottle and it wasn't as good as the first one back in 2018. I've had some bottles with 10 years of age and they were very good. Not sure why I opened this one so soon now that I think about it.

Do you like its big brother, the Oreno?

Mine were purchased with the intention of drinking them in or around 2025 but unfortunately they became a covid casualty. 

Yes, I'm an Oreno fan but for those I'll definitely wait 15+ years. Have had a few '01s in the past year that were good. 

2016 Quivet pellet vineyard (Napa valley Cabernet Sauvignon) 

It's been in the decanter for 2+ hours and still has the overwhelming nose of strong cultured butter. The French type which neophytes would say is rancid butter but those who understand salivate at while looking for a baguette. Huge fruit, the definition of a velvet glove, just not sure there is an iron fist inside it...

1988 Mildara Coonawarra Hermitage

(Blend of 85% syrah and 15% cabernet sauvignon)  Fill level was high neck and cork showed no seepage.  Wine was light ruby with no sign of its age.  Aroma is floral with a mild undertone of barnyard that quickly blew off.  Nice fruit flavour with notable red fruit, savoury spicing and mint.  Light body and elegant.

@otw posted:

1988 Mildara Coonawarra Hermitage

(Blend of 85% syrah and 15% cabernet sauvignon)  Fill level was high neck and cork showed no seepage.  Wine was light ruby with no sign of its age.  Aroma is floral with a mild undertone of barnyard that quickly blew off.  Nice fruit flavour with notable red fruit, savoury spicing and mint.  Light body and elegant.

Nice to see a note on an older Australian wine.  Where did you find this?

@steve8 posted:

Recently

2018 Domaine La Suffrene, Bandol, Rosé (corked)

2017 Thorne & Daughters, Chenin Blanc, Cat's Cradle

2007 Petrolo, IGT, Galatrona

2018 Markus Huber, Gruner Veltliner, Obere Steigen

2015 Sette Ponti, IGT, Crognolo

2018 Susana Balbo, Torrontes, Signature

2016 Vincent Careme, Vouvray, Brut

2016 DeMorgenzon, Maestro White

Yes but what did you open with dinner?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.