2005 Giovanni Corino Barolo Vigna Giachini - gorgeous with no sign of decline

2005 Massolino Barolo Serralunga d'Alba - drink up imo 

2001 Fuligni BDM - 

1997 Lisini Ugolia - shows the heat of the vintage but when it's on, it is damn good

2003 Tardieu Laurent Cote Rotie - have always enjoyed this wine from other vintages. Rustic Cote Rotie brute with a slightly clipped finish. Could use some more time but it's drinking with a healthy decant. 

2011 Signae Montefalco Sagrantino  - needs a few more years for the oak to integrate but a good QPR presently available at our local monopoly 

2006 Arnione Campo alla Sughera Bolgheri Rosso Superiore

A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot that the northern Maremma excels at.  The aroma had a nice floral (violets) lift.  Palate showed dark fruit with leather, graphite, and nice minerality.  An excellent complement to charcuterie.

2003 Fuligni BdM

Rightly or not, I have always felt that Fuligni shows its best in vintages where others struggle... and this wine was no exception.  A great bottle of wine.

sunnylea57 posted:

2004 Isole e Olena Cepparello

Based solely on this one bottle, it’s at peak or slightly past peak. Very tasty, but a little soft. Missing the tension I enjoy in the best Tuscan Sangio.

Decided to open one tonight based on your comments.

Needed a good 2 hours for a nose to appear but it’s really singing now. Very enjoyable with Sangiovese ‘tension’ but I would say this bottle is still in the early stages of prime drinking. 

mangiare posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

2004 Isole e Olena Cepparello

Based solely on this one bottle, it’s at peak or slightly past peak. Very tasty, but a little soft. Missing the tension I enjoy in the best Tuscan Sangio.

Decided to open one tonight based on your comments.

Needed a good 2 hours for a nose to appear but it’s really singing now. Very enjoyable with Sangiovese ‘tension’ but I would say this bottle is still in the early stages of prime drinking. 

Not surprised by your experience. I WAS surprised that mine was as advanced as it was. I have 5 more and I’m hoping they show younger than the first one.

NV Deveaux Coeur des Bar blanc des noirs - nice rich full BdN, lots of baked apple.

2017 Burlotto Pelaverga - all the maraschino cherries & herbs, little tannin, good acidity.  Good, light food wine.

2015 Benoit Roseau Syrah de Rosette - Wow for an entry level syrah.  Tapenade, meat drippings and salt.  Really liked it.

sunnylea57 posted:
bomba503 posted:

87 Dunn Howell Mountain 

14 Dominus 

Must have made for quite the contrast.  How'd they show?

The Dunn was brought by a friend who blinded us. At first it tasted much younger than most I've had but after some time came around to the 87 Dunn we all love.

With more wine on the table than people the Dominus didn't get opened until after hours back at my house with ShaneT and a friend of g-man's that recently relocated here. It was very good but didn't have the benefit of any decanting and was followed by bourbon mayhem

2015 Little Wings Syrah - honestly wasn't expecting much as it's California Syrah  but it was restrained with great fruit, some meat and faint hints of smoke - well done.   

2015 Henri de Villamont Grands-Échezeau Grand Cru - yes infanticide but still gave pleasure and after a couple hours was actually drinking well. 

1997 Il Poggione BDM - in a great place. '97s are still drinking from the traditional producers but I wouldn't hold them much longer. 

2001 Sportoletto Villa Fidelia - nice wine but too one dimensional

2015 COS Cerasualo di Vittoria - really love the volcanic aspect to this wine however wish the prices would settle down. 

2010 Maison Roche de Bellene Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Champeaux 

With smoked brisket last night:

2013 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Maestro Collection Limited Release followed by

NV Sandeman Founder's Reserve - this had been given to us as a house warming present 5 years ago and I dug it out - a fairly inexpensive Ruby Port.  Nothing special but reasonably tasty and certainly enjoyable.

sunnylea57 posted:

2009 Castelgiocondo BdM - drinking beautifully with a PnP. Perhaps it shouldn't have, but this totally exceeded expectations.

I think this wine is much maligned because it's from a very large producer, but I've found it to be a consistently solid BdM at very reasonable price. The riserva is even better.

Add Reply

Likes (0)