May 2018 - What are you drinking?

max posted:
fusionstorm posted:

Here's the lineup that we had at TPEwinedrinker's cellar........

And our lineup at Manresa.......

I assume all the wines were fantastic, but I'm curious as to how these two were showing:

1978 Inglenook and the G-Max.

Hey Win!  The '78 Inglenook has been aging gracefully.  Still got red fruits in play, and an herbal aspect kinda like a Heitz Martha's.  

The Keller G-Max on a "normal" night would've definitely been in the WOTN tier.  Certainly worthy of the hype, but maybe not necessarily the secondary market pricetag.

That '10 Coche Corton Charlie though........so dang good.  

On the weekend

NV Marc Hebrert, Champagne, Blanc de Blancs

2015 Chateau Fuissé, Pouilly-Fuissé, Tete de Cru 

2014 Sadie Family, Chenin Blanc, Skurfberg 

2013 Pearl Morissette, Chardonnay, Cuvée Dix-Neuvième

2009 Bodegas Muga, Rioja, Seleccion Especial

2013 Mas Igneus, Priorat, FA 206

2016 Felton Road, Chardonnay, Block 6 

2016 Craggy Range, Sauvignon Blanc, Te Muna Road

over the weekend 

1999 Capanna BDM Riserva mag
1998 Clerico Ginestra
2001 Villa Fidelia Sportoletti
2005 Paitin Barbaresco Sori Paitin
2004 Convento San Francisco S.L. Ribera del Duero
2004 Castelgiocondo BDM
2001 Fuligni BDM
2005 Louis Latour Clos Vougeot grand cru

fusionstorm posted:
max posted:
fusionstorm posted:

Here's the lineup that we had at TPEwinedrinker's cellar........

And our lineup at Manresa.......

I assume all the wines were fantastic, but I'm curious as to how these two were showing:

1978 Inglenook and the G-Max.

Hey Win!  The '78 Inglenook has been aging gracefully.  Still got red fruits in play, and an herbal aspect kinda like a Heitz Martha's.  

The Keller G-Max on a "normal" night would've definitely been in the WOTN tier.  Certainly worthy of the hype, but maybe not necessarily the secondary market pricetag.

That '10 Coche Corton Charlie though........so dang good.  

I bet the CCC was outstanding!

I recently had the distinct pleasure of joining a dear friend for dinner at his home in Linda Mar where he served the following wines:

2002 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut Rosé

2004 Colgin Cariad

I have long had an affection for Colgin wines and this bottle of 2004 Cariad was a most enjoyable addition to my Colgin tasting experience. As for the bubbly, I admit that I do not have a wealth of experience with rosé Champagne, however this particular bottle might just convince me to expand both my knowledge and experience! We enjoyed it on his deck watching the sun slowly set on the ocean.

With our monthly blind tasting this past Saturday:

NV Ruinart Rose
NV Jean de James Cremant de Bordeaux Rose
2014 Soliste Rose
2015 Soliste Rose
2015 Kutch Rose
2016 Liquid Farm Rose
2000 Frederic Magnien Charmes-Chambertin
2008 La Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Cru Clos d'Audignac
2008 Maison Champy Echezeaux
2013 Blackbird Illustration
2006 Kendall-Jackson Stature
2007 Kistler Pinot Noir Cuvee Catherine
2010 Groth Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville
2012 Ridge Monte Bello
2005 Dominus
2011 Ridge Monte Bello
2006 Dominus
2011 Lewis Cabernet Sauvignon Napa

It was an excellent tasting with not a dog in the bunch - although nobody picked the Kistler as a Pinot Noir - most guessed Syrah. 

glennk posted:
ksc02 posted:

2004 Cheval Blanc

Very nice!  How was the 04 Cheval? 

The wine showed very well with a 2-hr splash decant. I've opened a few of these or the past few years and this was the most balanced yet. Still young but solidly in its' drinking window (IMO).  Very nice indeed

Some cellar organization gave me access to a couple of cases that yielded some bottles that were possibly left longer than they should have been, or at least longer than I intended.  Last night we opened a 2005 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer  Turkheim Heimbourg, which was excellent: beautiful deep gold colour, floral and grapefruit nose, and very rich, almost viscous on the palate, with mandarin orange, litchi, pear, grapefruit flavours that really stick around on the long finish.  

This was a singleton that I recall buying to see whether or not I should pick up a few more bottles; I guess I know the answer now.   

A whole bunch of vinous goodness last night. I don't have the full list so someone else can chime in if they feel so inclined. My contributions:

2006 Sterling Vineyards Cab Sauv Diamond Mountain
2011 Retro Cellars Petite Sirah Howell Mountain

The Sterling was poured blind. The group generally thought it was very good, but only one person went with California - and even then they thought it was a valley wine. A few thought it was a Merlot-dominant Bordeaux blend, and others said an Italian Merlot. Lush and a little ripe.

I bought 12 of these about 4 1/2 years back and have been opening one or two a year to follow the progress. Really very good stuff and not what you might expect from Sterling.

The Retro needs more time. I think it has the stuffing to age, so I'll sit on my other 2011 and my 2012s. Right now the 2011 has all the right elements but it's still primary and a little disjointed.

1982 Gruaud-Larose- wonderfully smooth and sully ready but nowhere near tiring, just about in the center of it's drinking window. It's been in my cellar since release and the fill was like new. I double decanted it before leaving for dinner at Café L'Europe. It was poured into a decanter in the restaurant and remained beautiful until finished. This the best Gruaud-Larose I've ever had, with the exception of the utterly magnificent 1962. 97

board-o posted:

1982 Gruaud-Larose- wonderfully smooth and sully ready but nowhere near tiring, just about in the center of it's drinking window. It's been in my cellar since release and the fill was like new. I double decanted it before leaving for dinner at Café L'Europe. It was poured into a decanter in the restaurant and remained beautiful until finished. This the best Gruaud-Larose I've ever had, with the exception of the utterly magnificent 1962. 97

Thanks for the note Board-O.  High praise since I know that you are a a big G-L fan.

2013 Domaine Carneros Brut Rose'. Not an exceptional bottle in the grand scheme of things, but it was fitting to celebrate the 3rd anniversary of my first trip to Napa with my (now) wife, during which we got engaged. Domaine Carneros was the first winery we visited on that trip.

vinoevelo posted:

2013 Domaine de L'Ecu Granite - continuing to mature nicely.   went well with grilled trout.

2015 Grange of PEC Pinot Noir.  serviceable.  Nice a bit chilled on a hot night tending to the BGE.  Mrs. VeV had a sip and made a cocktail instead.

Embarrassed to admit this, but after what? 5 years? I finally had an epiphany and figured out your forum handle. I just never gave it any thought until now, but as soon as I did, it was obvious.   🍷🚲.  And in doing so, I also realized I've been mispronouncing it all these years.

sunnylea57 posted:
vinoevelo posted:

2013 Domaine de L'Ecu Granite - continuing to mature nicely.   went well with grilled trout.

2015 Grange of PEC Pinot Noir.  serviceable.  Nice a bit chilled on a hot night tending to the BGE.  Mrs. VeV had a sip and made a cocktail instead.

Embarrassed to admit this, but after what? 5 years? I finally had an epiphany and figured out your forum handle. I just never gave it any thought until now, but as soon as I did, it was obvious.   🍷🚲.  And in doing so, I also realized I've been mispronouncing it all these years.

Your penance is a bottle of 1987 Dunn Howell Mountain.

Add Reply

Likes (0)