May 2018 - What are you drinking?

quote:
Originally posted by grossie:
I'm going through my lesser 2005 bdx right now for benchmark purposes. Those with more merlot are drinking very well, whereas the cab driven wines still need a few years. These are all smaller wines (Beaulieu, Haut Bergey, Mathilde).
My gut says wait on the left bank wines, but right bank wines are starting to be ready.
Thanks for the update. Haven't touched my 05's much yet. Will bring in some right banks from storage to check in on.
Recent wines:

2015 Domaine Bertheau Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru - I've gone through a few of these now. Hard to keep my hands off of them as they are drinking great.

2013 Domaine Ghislaine Barthod Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Fuées - Another baby but also showed really well. Lots of layers and the fruit is so fresh and alive. My wife called the wine elegant and she is spot on.

2010 Schäfer-Fröhlich Bockenauer Felseneck Riesling Spätlese - Spatlese is usually to sweet for me but this was very nice and had enough acidity to keep me interested. Paired nicely with a slightly spicy pork stir fry.

2016 Tyler Rose of Pinot Noir - Fantastic rose from Santa Barbara with super clean fruit. Wonderful wine for a long lunch while watching the kids play in the yard.

Had an amazing afternoon and evening of drinking yesterday.  TPEwinedrinker generously hosted myself and 5 other gluttons before our dinner reservation we had.  With contributions from some of the dinner attendees as well as local friends of TPE, our "happy hour festivities" involved the following:

1. 1978 Inglenook Cabernet Sauvignon (TPE)
  2. 1978 Robert Arnoux Vosne-Romanée (friend of TPE)
  3. 1988 Chave Hermitage (friend of TPE)
  4. 1993 Marcassin Lorenzo Vineyard Chardonnay (TPE)
  5. 2002 Krug (TPE)
  6. 2007 Roulot Les Vireuils (TPE)
  7. 2010 Leroy Bourgogne Aligoté (dinner attendee)
  8. 2013 Xavier Gerard La Landonne (dinner attendee)

Hard to imagine we could top such a stellar lineup.  We bid adieu to TPE and friends, and made our way over to Manresa restaurant in Los Gatos, CA.  Over the course of the Chef's Tasting Menu stretched over 4.5 hours that seemed to mostly fly by, we enjoyed the following:

1. 2004 Coche Dury Corton-Charlemagne
  2. 2005 Chave Hermitage
  3. 2005 Jean François Ganevat Les Vignes de mon Père
  4. 2010 Coche Dury Corton Charlemagne
  5. 2013 Coche Dury Meursault-Perrières
  6. 2013 Keller G Max
  7. 2014 Raveneau Clos

In all seriousness, this was the stuff that dreams are made of for any of us aficionados.  Hard to imagine being able to top this, but we will soldier on attempting to do so.......  

This past Tuesday was Burgundy night with some of the Toronto crew. The reds were all excellent, but this was a night when all four of the whites totally outshone the reds. Each was unique and each was stunning - but especially the 1989 Chevalier-Montrachet and the 2010 Batard-Montrachet.

The list:

NV Tarlant Champagne Cuvée Louis
2006 Beaumont des Crayeres Champagne Fleur de Prestige

1989 Bouchard Pere & Fils Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru
2008 Alain Chavy Puligny-Montrachet Les Folatière
2010 Francois Carillon Puligny Montrachet 1er Les Perrières 
2010 Domaine Paul Pernot Batard-Montrachet Grand Cru

1996 Perrot Minot Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru
1999 Perrot-Minot Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru
2001 Perrot-Minot Mazoyeres Chambertin Vieilles Vignes
2002 Fernand & Laurent Pillot Pommard 1er Cru Clos de Verger
2004 Bouchard Père & Fils Chambertin-Clos-de-Bèze (magnum)

Hijos De Rainera Perez Marin La Guita Manzanilla
Emilio Lustau Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Very Rare Oloroso Emperatriz Eugenia

And some pics:

fusionstorm posted:

Had an amazing afternoon and evening of drinking yesterday.  TPEwinedrinker generously hosted myself and 5 other gluttons before our dinner reservation we had.  With contributions from some of the dinner attendees as well as local friends of TPE, our "happy hour festivities" involved the following:

5. 2002 Krug (TPE)

Hard to imagine we could top such a stellar lineup.  We bid adieu to TPE and friends, and made our way over to Manresa restaurant in Los Gatos, CA.  Over the course of the Chef's Tasting Menu stretched over 4.5 hours that seemed to mostly fly by, we enjoyed the following:

2. 2005 Chave Hermitage
  6. 2013 Keller G Max
  7. 2014 Raveneau Clos

In all seriousness, this was the stuff that dreams are made of for any of us aficionados.  Hard to imagine being able to top this, but we will soldier on attempting to do so.......  

how did the ganevat fare in the line up?  

Over the past while...

2005 Carlisle Bennet Valley

2007 Copain Thompson Syrah

2001 Edmunds St. John Syrah. head and shoulders above the other other two - not even close.  

2015 Domaine Gauby Calcinaires.  Been a while since my lasyt Gauby and this reminded me that i need to seek them out more often.  great minerality & lift for a warm climate syrah.

2016 Produttori Langhe Neb. makes me sad I have to go out of province to get more.  

2015 Giacomo Vico Langhe Neb

2016 Pheasant's Tears Rkatsiteli 

2016 Pearl Morissette Estate Winery Cuvée Blu - the two orange wines were interesting to contrast - the pheasants tears was more of a tannic red wine, with tangerine notes while the cuvee blu was very floral and much lighter weight.  both went well with boulliabase.

2015 Dirty and Rowdy California "Familiar" Blanc

2016 Occhipinti SP68 Bianco

2015 Raventós i Blanc de Nit  - all great summer wines.

vinoevelo posted:
fusionstorm posted:

5. 2002 Krug (TPE)

2. 2005 Chave Hermitage
  6. 2013 Keller G Max
  7. 2014 Raveneau Clos

how did the ganevat fare in the line up?  

The Ganevat was very nice, but to be expected, it was overshadowed in this lineup. 

Testing to see if a pic from the dinner loads properly  If so, I'll add some more........

sunnylea57 posted:

This. Thanks Randy Dunn.

Amongst a lineup of about two dozen bottles. For me, this was the highlight. Yeah sure, I brought it. But it was still the highlight. It happens sometimes. Not often, but tonight it did.

Had a similar experience earlier this year and it would have been WOTN if DoubleD hadn't  shown up with a couple 1990 Unico's

sunnylea57 posted:

This. Thanks Randy Dunn.

Amongst a lineup of about two dozen bottles. For me, this was the highlight. Yeah sure, I brought it. But it was still the highlight. It happens sometimes. Not often, but tonight it did.

It was really good. Thanks for sharing!

futronic posted:

Hope you got a decent pour. It disappeared while you and VinT were bbqing.

sunnylea57 posted:
futronic posted:

Hope you got a decent pour. It disappeared while you and VinT were bbqing.

Decent enough. VinT brought a glass down for me while I was manning the grill.

fusionstorm posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
fusionstorm posted:

Here's the lineup that we had at TPEwinedrinker's cellar........

And our lineup at Manresa.......

Can't see the images, fusionstorm.

Photos in my original post showing up now, Sunny?  Hopefully I figured out my imagehosting issues......

I assume all the wines were fantastic, but I'm curious as to how these two were showing:

1978 Inglenook and the G-Max.

Add Reply

Likes (0)