Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wild dandelion green salad (from our backyard).

Gazpacho with diced cucumber, tomato, green onion and basil on top.

Anyone feeling a bit "sluggish" digestively would be cured pretty quickly with this menu....... Razz

Thankfully, that wasn't the motivation. Bay Area has been going thru a heat wave the past couple days, and this was definitely refreshing.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
lamb chops, spaghetti squash. Had a 2012 Hogue Cabernet Reserve.
Good match. Wine has cocoa and leather and dark fruit.
I got it for $10 at a close out at the local place. Only had three bottles left at the store. Now, I have 2 left.

Hogue's reserve lines really provides an amazing QPR. Thanks for the reminder to keep my eyes out for some. I always forget this as a daily drinker for some reason.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
An absolute disaster trying fried chicken for the first time. I have been ordered never to attempt it again.

Seriously? I'm blown away that you've never tried this before. And that it was so bad that you've been banned!!

PH
agree. What happened b-o? Just got to get the oil to the correct temp and your golden.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
quote:
An absolute disaster trying fried chicken for the first time. I have been ordered never to attempt it again.

Seriously? I'm blown away that you've never tried this before. And that it was so bad that you've been banned!!

PH
agree. What happened b-o? Just got to get the oil to the correct temp and your golden.

I used a recipe from Food and Wine. I bought an oil temperature thermometer. It boiled over when I put in the chicken at the right temp, 365. The mess was unbelieveable. It got on the floor. I had marinated the chicken overnight in a buttermilk solution and when I breaded it in the mixture of flour and corn meal, it said to press the chicken into the mixture. I used an instant read thermometer to take it out at 160 and left it in a warming oven while doing the second batch. The crust was too hard. The cleanup took two hours including mopping the floor twice. That was my first effort at deep frying. Now my wife won't let me even try it with oysters. There was a lot of tension in the house last night.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

PH

I used a recipe from Food and Wine. I bought an oil temperature thermometer. It boiled over when I put in the chicken at the right temp, 365. The mess was unbelieveable. It got on the floor. I had marinated the chicken overnight in a buttermilk solution and when I breaded it in the mixture of flour and corn meal, it said to press the chicken into the mixture. I used an instant read thermometer to take it out at 160 and left it in a warming oven while doing the second batch. The crust was too hard. The cleanup took two hours including mopping the floor twice. That was my first effort at deep frying. Now my wife won't let me even try it with oysters. There was a lot of tension in the house last night.

First rule of frying for fully submerged frying:
use a high walled pot and never fill oil past 1/3rd of pot. Board-O, what happened to you was extremely dangerous and you're lucky the only consequence was mopping twice and an angry wife.

Second rule for fried chicken: use the Thomas Keller recipe.
quote:
I don't know about that. My fried chicken is significantly better than what I can get at a restaurant. At least in my area.

I'm with Glenn on this. Sounds like Board-O's chicken had way too much moisture. I never deep-fry my fried chicken. Cast iron skillet and shortening has been my go to for the last while.

PH
quote:
quote:
I don't know about that. My fried chicken is significantly better than what I can get at a restaurant. At least in my area.

I'm with Glenn on this. Sounds like Board-O's chicken had way too much moisture. I never deep-fry my fried chicken. Cast iron skillet and shortening has been my go to for the last while.

PH

you just need a real deep pot if you're going to deep fry it.

you should never go over half the height of the pot with oil if you're deep frying like that.

I've had great success

but to your exact point, if board-o says the crust was too hard, that means too much water which will also cause a massive mess
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Grilled prime ribeyes

I grilled some prime ribeyes last night as well. I went with a reverse sear, smoking them over some oak for about an hour, and then seared over a scorching hot fire to finish them. It was the best steak I can remember in a long time.

The ones I got were the best I've found in a long time. I'd call them just about perfect. They were better than other prime ribeyes I've bought. If there was a class called prime plus, that's what these would have been. I used just a little sea salt freshly ground pepper, let them sit out for about 90 minutes, then seared each side on high for two minutes, then left them on the higher rack for a minute. I think they were the best steaks I've ever made. I may be wrong, but I don't think smoking them would have been a plus.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Grilled prime ribeyes

I grilled some prime ribeyes last night as well. I went with a reverse sear, smoking them over some oak for about an hour, and then seared over a scorching hot fire to finish them. It was the best steak I can remember in a long time.

The ones I got were the best I've found in a long time. I'd call them just about perfect. They were better than other prime ribeyes I've bought. If there was a class called prime plus, that's what these would have been. I used just a little sea salt freshly ground pepper, let them sit out for about 90 minutes, then seared each side on high for two minutes, then left them on the higher rack for a minute. I think they were the best steaks I've ever made. I may be wrong, but I don't think smoking them would have been a plus.

Not really a smoke as much as a reverse sear. These things were huge - almost 3 inches thick. I knew they were going to take a long time, so I threw an oak chunk in the smoke basket on the gas grill. I don't normally add wood-smoke when grilling - it was really more dependent on the size of these particular steaks and the time it was going to take to finish them.

You don't seem to like wood smoke as much as I do based on your comments over time. I can understand and appreciate that. Sometimes I crave a little smoke flavor, sometimes I don't.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Third rule for fried chikin: go out to a restaurant.
I don't eat a lot of fried foods, but if I want some that's what restaurants are for.

You've never had my fried chicken !! Going to have to remedy that !!

quote:

That's why I only do my fried chicken outside in the summer !!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.