quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Ready to go this evening:

2007 Isole e Olena Cepparello Toscana IGT

Would love to know how this is. Have a few in the cellar. Galloni gave it a great note on release, but the more recent vintages I've tried have been a tad oaky for me.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Ready to go this evening:

2007 Isole e Olena Cepparello Toscana IGT

Would love to know how this is. Have a few in the cellar. Galloni gave it a great note on release, but the more recent vintages I've tried have been a tad oaky for me.

There was some wood, but it wasn't obtrusive. There was a hint of chocolate that I assumed was from the oak influence, and also a little wet freshly planed wood, but those notes didn't detract. Lots of Sangiovese fruit and great acidity. I did a PnP, so I'll revisit it tonight and see what's what.
2015 Montes Outer Limits Zapallar Coast Sauvignon Blanc. Admittedly i'm not a big sauv blanc guy (outside of the loire) but I had this once at Borago, enjoyed it and and grabbed some bottles. It's as good as I remember. Bright green in colour, floral and grassy nose then this acidity to it thats so electric it gives me goosebumps. I dont really know how else to describe it - its so vivid and grabs your attention with light floral/citrus/grass notes. A really unique wine.
2012 Santa Carolina Carignan Specialties Dry Farming. Clocking in at 14.5% abv, this very drinkable Carignan has all kinds of savoury, soy, herbal and dark chocolate notes. Not the most complex wine around but for C$18, it's perfect for a weeknight meal of grilled anything.
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by FunkySeeFunkyDoo:
2014 Laughing Stock Syrah

How was it? Haven't opened any of mine yet.

It was good, but maybe a notch below what I was expecting. This was my first bottle, so just going on reviews I had expectations for a more complex wine. This was quite rich and extracted, especially relative to other BC wines, and I would have liked a little bit of restraint.

So, to my palate I prefer their Portfolio and Blind Trust.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion when you open one of yours!
With Ethiopian/Eritrean food at Pero's...

NV Jacques Defrance Brut Rose - Quite dark and lightly carbonated, it drank more like a lightly-spritzed pinot. Smooth and flavourful in a way that stood up well to the Tibsi seasoning.

2004 Mesh Riesling - Distinct petrol nose giving way to floral aroma. Slate, lemon-lime flavours with long finish.

1998 Massolino Barolo Vigna Rionda Riserva - In a great spot right now. Great structure without apparent tannins. Earthy aroma, dried flowers, licorice, leather with a bit of mint on the palate.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
2014 Laughing Stock Syrah

How was it? Haven't opened any of mine yet.

It was good, but maybe a notch below what I was expecting. This was my first bottle, so just going on reviews I had expectations for a more complex wine. This was quite rich and extracted, especially relative to other BC wines, and I would have liked a little bit of restraint.

So, to my palate I prefer their Portfolio and Blind Trust.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion when you open one of yours!

Thanks. But it looks like it will be a while Wink.
2014 Domaine de la Denante St. Véran Les Maillettes. If you like your chards buttery and full of tropical fruit, stay the heck away from this. It's bone dry, with stone fruit, minerals and a mouthwatering streak of lemon acidity. A good value from the humble Mâconnais region that I suspect would be at least half again as much were it from a more prestigious Burgundy postal code.
2015 Domaine de Fa Fleurie Roche Guillon

Made a new estate in Beaujolais owned by the sons of Alain Graillot, well known producer in Northern Rhone.

This Fleurie feels and taste like a perfect match between gamay's drinkability and syrah's rusticity, with a great acidity level and real yummyness. Liked a lot. Buying more TODAY!
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
2011 Altos de Luzon. Very nice QPR. Might be our new daily drinker this month.

There are so many excellent wines coming out of Jumilla, it's hard to find a mediocre one.

That is a "true fact"
Last few days:

2005 Marchesi di Barolo Cannubi, drinking well
2020 Wismer Chard (2014??) - Wish I had more
2005 Bruno Giacosa Falletto - Wonderful. Classic everything I'd expect.
2009 Bruno Giacosa Rocche - had this one last night after my mother passed away in the afternoon. After a particularly tough day or week, sometimes I'd tell her "I"m going to order a pizza, open a good bottle of wine and put my feet up, watch a movie" She'd reply "That sounds like a good plan" . Yesterday seemed like one of those days. I thought of her while enjoying the pizza, wine, the movie. The 09 Rocche is drinking well now, seems like a vintage to drink young. Darker and fuller than the 05 Falletto from the night before with a client. I think I actually enjoyed the 05 Falletto more. Maybe the 09 needs a bit more time, not sure on that point. Further investigation may be required...
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Last few days:

2009 Bruno Giacosa Rocche - had this one last night after my mother passed away in the afternoon. After a particularly tough day or week, sometimes I'd tell her "I"m going to order a pizza, open a good bottle of wine and put my feet up, watch a movie" She'd reply "That sounds like a good plan" . Yesterday seemed like one of those days. I thought of her while enjoying the pizza, wine, the movie. The 09 Rocche is drinking well now, seems like a vintage to drink young. Darker and fuller than the 05 Falletto from the night before with a client. I think I actually enjoyed the 05 Falletto more. Maybe the 09 needs a bit more time, not sure on that point. Further investigation may be required...

Sorry for your loss. Also, a good reminder to enjoy life, and the good things we have in it. I'm sure she was smiling down on you!
A fairly impromptu early dinner last night with vinoevelo and VinT at Montgomery's in TO:

2002 Pol Roger Vintage Brut (Extra Cuvee de Reserve)
2006 Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc
1995 Alain Voge Cornas Vieilles Vignes

Three superb wines.

After perusing the menu online I was uncertain about the restaurant, but it was fantastic. It's a very short menu of shared dishes, and we ordered about 3/4 of the items on it. Most dishes were sublime. Only one or two were less than exceptional. I think the highlight for all three of us was Cooked Lettuce in Beef Broth. It sounds underwhelming and possibly pretentious, but it was anything but.

There's definitely potential for a TO offline here.
I generally don't buy/drink much Bourgogne but here are a few exceptions:

2014 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bourgogne Blanc - Really lovely wine for the money with pretty citrus and steely notes. Drinking great right now.

2013 Domaine Roulot Bourgogne Blanc - I thought I had gone through all of these but found a few during a recent inventory. Still drinking really well but a little behind the PYCM. Still for the money this is a nice drink and lovely lunch wine with our poached halibut and mixed green salad.

Other recent wines:

2010 Littorai Pinot Noir Cerise Vineyard - This wine was killer. Very floral on the nose and packed with tart and sweet red berry fruit. Another reminder to let Littorai sit in the cellar for awhile.

NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Cuvée Rubis - Lovely pink bubbly here. Vilmart is a go to producer in our house.

2014 Domaine Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre - picked up a case of half bottles of this and glad we did. Perfect wine to have with starter salad, raw/cold seafood starters we like to do. Really bright flavors and a classic Chablis profile.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
2014 Roots (Racine?), Pinot Noir, Klee

Always on the lookout for excellent inexpensive Oregon pinots, this isn't really one. Very good, but not the 91 pts from Harvey which attracted my inner point whore-ness.

Try the Sagrantino.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Last few days:

My condolences VinCentric for your loss. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:

Always on the lookout for excellent inexpensive Oregon pinots, this isn't really one. Very good, but not the 91 pts from Harvey which attracted my inner point whore-ness.

Try the Sagrantino.

Let me guess, Sagrantino, Pinot Noir...same thing?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:

Try the Sagrantino.

Let me guess, Sagrantino, Pinot Noir...same thing?

Exactly.

Add Reply

Likes (0)