Skip to main content

azwiese posted:

2016 Leeuwin Chardonnay Art Series.  This wine has never let me down.  If I'm choosing 3 chards to drink for the rest of my life, it'd be this, Mt. Eden, and Shibumi Knoll (which I've only had thanks to SD Wineaux)

29/03/20

Interesting. I would choose the Leeuwin and Mount Eden also, but my third would either be Christian Moreau Les Clos or Varner. That said, I hadn't even heard of Shibumi Knoll until this morning. Some pretty high powered help they have.

2004 Marcel Lapierre Morgon.  Was worried since i took posession of a couple of these bottles - the colour in them is so pale it looked like a rose and I wasnt sure what to expect.  Stood it up, carefully decanted off very fine sediment and WOW.  The floral lift off the nose was stunning.  It rolled into blood orange, a bit of cinnamon and licorice and again this floral lift on the end and hints of mint.  In spite of being a shade past rose there was good body and acidity to it.  Mrs. VeV remarked that all the hallmarks of young bojo - the strawberries, sappy fruits, bubblegum notes were nowhere to be found and she loved it too.  Great foil for BGE roast chicken and a green salad.  

Over the past week:

2015 Leaning Post Wines Riesling The Geek
1997 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon
2004 Beaulieu Vineyard Tapestry Reserve
2008 Viñedos Bernabeleva Vinos de Madrid Arroyo del Tórtolas
2006 Sterling Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Diamond Mountain Ranch Vineyard
NV Marc Hébrart Champagne Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut

Both the Spottswoode and Beaulieu were terrific. Everything you'd want in an older Cali Cab. Fruit still vibrant, cedar and tobacco tertiary notes in play.

The '08 Bernabeleva was also very good: more weight and less lifted than current vintages of the Vina Bonita, with some mushroom notes. 

Opened the Sterling last night. I bought 12 of these back around 2013 and have opened a couple each year since. The first bottles were as hard as nails, but now it's awesome. But I'm a sucker for Napa mountain wine, especially Diamond and (of course) Howell.

sunnylea57 posted:

Over the past week:

Both the Spottswoode and Beaulieu were terrific. Everything you'd want in an older Cali Cab. Fruit still vibrant, cedar and tobacco tertiary notes in play.

The '08 Bernabeleva was also very good: more weight and less lifted than current vintages of the Vina Bonita, with some mushroom notes. 

Opened the Sterling last night. I bought 12 of these back around 2013 and have opened a couple each year since. The first bottles were as hard as nails, but now it's awesome. But I'm a sucker for Napa mountain wine, especially Diamond and (of course) Howell.

Since you didn’t add any comment about the Leaning Post wine, I’m guessing it wasn’t memorable to you. It may have been my favorite winery visit in the region a few years ago, and I greatly enjoyed all three various bottles I brought back. That said, I don’t recall tasting a Riesling.

billhike posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

Over the past week:

Since you didn’t add any comment about the Leaning Post wine, I’m guessing it wasn’t memorable to you. It may have been my favorite winery visit in the region a few years ago, and I greatly enjoyed all three various bottles I brought back. That said, I don’t recall tasting a Riesling.

It was a decent and "varietally correct" Riesling. Very slightly off-dry, lots of petrol, but ultimately nothing special.

It's a bit of a gimmicky wine. They add the lees from their Chardonnay and earlier vintages for the Riesling, and then the wine spends an additional 2 years on all the extra lees. They refer to it as a "Solara-lees system". I can't say that the extra time on all that lees made any difference to the flavour.

With the craziest month most of us have probably ever experienced finally coming to an end, the past week has been one for as much bubbly as possible as a daily celebration of life:

NV Bruno Paillard Premiere Cuvée Brut Rose
NV Diebolt-Vallois Blanc de Blancs Brut
NV Lombard & Cie Verzenay Grand Cru Brut Nature 
NV Perrier-Jouet Brut 
NV Piper-Heidsieck Cuvée Brut 
2005 Lanson Gold Label

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.