2017 Faury St Joseph Vielles Vignes. 2nd time this year. Wonderful “real” Northern Rhone for ~ $45. All bacon, olive, bay leaf, and a bit savory roast beef with underlying purple syrah fruit. Ready to drink with a 45 minute decant; should improve slightly over the next few years, but this is more for drinking while waiting on your Cote-Roties. Bravo!

wineismylife posted:
jcocktosten posted:

2016 Scott Paul Pinot

Blast from the past.  I haven't had one of those in a while.

We have had a number of them - from Garagiste.  Generally good wines at good prices

winetarelli posted:

2017 Faury St Joseph Vielles Vignes. 2nd time this year. Wonderful “real” Northern Rhone for ~ $45. All bacon, olive, bay leaf, and a bit savory roast beef with underlying purple syrah fruit. Ready to drink with a 45 minute decant; should improve slightly over the next few years, but this is more for drinking while waiting on your Cote-Roties. Bravo!

nice.  Love most everything they produce.

On lockdown: 

2008 Chiara Boschis Barolo Cannubi - good but advancing quickly

2016 Brancaia Tre - good qpr drink now

2010 Jadot Chateau des Jacques Moulin a Vent Clos de Rochegres - at peak - beautiful

1967 Dr. Perin Barolo, Monforte - singing 

2013 Jadot Ch des Jacques Moulin a Vent Clos du Grand Carquelin - nice but not likely to improve.

2015 Paolo Scavino Langhe Nebbiolo - nice but young. 

2008 Evening Land Pinot Noir Seven Springs La Source. Very good, but I think I was expecting something more. 1st world problem. 

2015 Red Car Chardonnay Sonoma Coast--perfect for the 16$ I paid for it.

2013 Alpha Omega Proprietary--really nice.  Well balanced, and maybe even a bit restrained compared to what I was expecting from an Alpha Omega wine.  

billhike posted:

2008 Evening Land Pinot Noir Seven Springs La Source. Very good, but I think I was expecting something more. 1st world problem. 

Somehow I already knew you had that last night.

2017 Domaine Jean Royer CDP Cuvee Prestige with Shepherd's Pie

2013 Force Majeure Collaboration Series Vi Ciel du Cheval Vineyard - seemed timely as I have been analyzing a lot of Force Majeure clauses lately.  As part of a virtual wine tasting

jcocktosten posted:

2013 Force Majeure Collaboration Series Vi Ciel du Cheval Vineyard - seemed timely as I have been analyzing a lot of Force Majeure clauses lately.  As part of a virtual wine tasting

What did you think?  I didn't tend to buy a lot of this wine, as it I was a bigger fan of their bordeaux style and syrahs, and this one was more Southern Rhone if I am not mistaken. I was a fan of this project when it was Grand Reve, but I stopped buying around the 2013 vintage.  Too many lists and it was getting up in price.  

azwiese posted:
jcocktosten posted:

What did you think?  I didn't tend to buy a lot of this wine, as it I was a bigger fan of their bordeaux style and syrahs, and this one was more Southern Rhone if I am not mistaken. I was a fan of this project when it was Grand Reve, but I stopped buying around the 2013 vintage.  Too many lists and it was getting up in price.  

We got from Garagiste  - $33 plus shipping.  Thought it was very tasty and yes was a GSM blend.  

Riper and richer than the CDP we had prior but I enjoyed it a lot and am happy we have 3 more

Great time last night on the online virtual tasting. Started with

2006 Cantina Del Pino Barbaresco.

Then

2018 Merry Edwards Sauv Blanc.

Finished the night with

Van Winkle 10 Year bourbon and Skrewball before turning the lights out

Last edited by bomba503

2018 Keller Abtserde GG.

This is spectacular, has to be one of the finest whites in the world. Beautiful nose with peach, apple, wet rocks, honeycomb, flint. Very fresh. Medium plus bodied with great density and weight, while still somehow being weightless and full of freshness. Has put on weight since I tasted this at the Keller Open last year. Endless finish with reverberating waves of flavour, density, bracing acidity, freshness. An OMG wine. Make that OMFG.

2013 Altesino Montosoli BdM

2013 Livio Sassetti Pertimali BdM

Both absolutely beautiful. After tasting several of wines from this vintage, I am a big believer in 2013 and will continue to look for them. These two were great. Classic, classic BdM with lots of structure and great futures.

shavez posted:

2018 Keller Abtserde GG.

This is spectacular, has to be one of the finest whites in the world. Beautiful nose with peach, apple, wet rocks, honeycomb, flint. Very fresh. Medium plus bodied with great density and weight, while still somehow being weightless and full of freshness. Has put on weight since I tasted this at the Keller Open last year. Endless finish with reverberating waves of flavour, density, bracing acidity, freshness. An OMG wine. Make that OMFG.

Definitely on my short list of wines I need to try at some point.  Thanks!

2018 Lapierre Morgon.  Good, but not special in any way.

We've had a bottle of  Emilio Hidalgo Oloroso Gobernador open for a small aperitif each evening for about a week, a lovely and complex sherry that has a lot going on, beautiful rich amber colour, honey, treacle, Brazil nut in the mouth, some saltiness, toffee, fig, and a fascinating sort of sweet and sour tension that runs just below all the flavours, ending with a long rich finish. This won't be a mainstay of my cellar, but man it has been fun to drink this, especially with roasted nuts.

Two nights ago we had a bottle of 2008 Betz Family Vineyards Syrah La Côte Rousse, still dark, beautiful berry nose, very silky with dark berry and black pepper flavours, good acidity, and a finish that fades gently. Had a previous bottle in 2015 when it was more powerful with some noticeable tannins, so I'd drink these up in the next year or two if I had more; probably better a couple of years ago. 

We had a bottle that I stood up for Valentine's Day but never opened, so we finally had it last night: 1982 Calon-Ségur. In the decanter it's dark with very little bricking, hard to believe it's almost 40 years old. Lovely nose of berries and light icing sugar, and loaded with blackcurrant, plum, tobacco, black licorice, and a bit of dark chocolate, really fills the palate with smooth richness, and a long finish that highlights the fruit again.  Wonderful wine!  (On a related note, we took a bottle of this to an offline in Seattle a few years ago, and our long-absent WS friend Parcival was amazed that a Bordeaux could be so similar to his beloved Napa Cabs; IIRC that's what got him interested in Bordeaux.  This wine is quite atypical for Calon-Ségur, but maybe not for '82 Bordeaux.)

Tonight with some home-made chicken and vegetable soup with lots of chicken bits in it, we'll have a bottle of 2015 Duboeuf Chateau de Capitans Juliénas, one of our favourite Beaujolais from an outstanding vintage in that area; this has become our house red in the last couple of years, and I still seem to have quite a bit of it.

As some of you know, for the last 5 or10 years my wife and I have greatly favoured white wines as our food tastes had migrated to lighter and fresher meals, lots of fish and vegetables.  But for the last few weeks we've both had an almost-insatiable craving for red wines. I've got some theories as to why.

I hope everyone stays safe and healthy in these very trying times.

billhike posted:

2018 Bruno Giacosa Roerno Arneis

2017 Vietti Barbera D’Asti Tra Vigne

I saw that you finally located some Giacosa. Thoughts?

vint posted:
billhike posted:

2018 Bruno Giacosa Roerno Arneis

2017 Vietti Barbera D’Asti Tra Vigne

I saw that you finally located some Giacosa. Thoughts?

Without question more interesting than the Vietti version. Increased complexity with an interesting floral/perfumed note. I’m liking it more as it warming up. It’s not likely to be a go-to white for me, but it’s certainly interesting. So many grapes and regions in Italy...

2014 Keermont, Syrah

2014 Leeuwin Estate, Shiraz, Art Series

I had to open two bottles of the Keermont because the first one was corked. I liked the Leeuwin better. Very different from the Barossa/McLaren Vale styles of Shiraz.

steve8 posted:

2014 Keermont, Syrah

Steve, how was the non-corked bottle? I have two 2012s and was wondering if it might be time to check in.   

Apparently, a 1975 Vine Berceo was opened last night too.

sweet, dusty and rusty on the palate that evolves into a lovely fresh strawberry note on the finish.  Fun wine.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.