Skip to main content

steve8 posted:
longboarder posted:

1990 IL Poggione Riserva BdM - a truly beautiful wine in a perfect place at the moment. 

I had 2 bottles of this which I brought back from Montalcino in 1997. Unfortunately they were both gone by 2005. Not that they were bad, they were both outstanding.

Steve. I bought an OWC in 2001 from a collector in NYC. Each bottle has been good but this one was great. Hadn’t tasted one in over 5 years so was very happy to see the remaining ones are in this special place. At least I hope so🤞.

Last edited by longboarder

Last night with visiting bman and Wine + Art and Miami Atty and spouses. Some vintages may be off and on phone so sorry for typos

2008 Phillipanat Clois des Goisses

2013 Beaucastel Blanc

2017? Hartford Court  Jennifers Chardonnay

2003 Clerc Milon

2004 Tua Rita Syrah

2009 Janasse CDP

2017 Little Wings Syrah

2017 Penfolds RWT Shiraz

2003 Suidarat

Very nice night.  

Hosting a wine dinner tonight for first time in what seems like a very long time. I shouldn't be as excited as I am, but I am.  

- Shrimp appetizer, 2002 Pol Roger Winston Churchill, and a blind Champagne from a guest who's recently returned from France

- Ginger and carrot soup, cashew garnish, 2008 J J Prum Riesling Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese

- Roast salmon with vino cotto dressing, lemon risotto, 2008 Leroy Meursault 1er Les Boucheres

- Cheese (12-month Manchego, Telaggio, 4-year white cheddar), 1998 Sassicaia

- Asst. small pastries from local bakery, 2009 Selbach Oster Riesling Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Beerenauslese

Prep's all done; only the risotto will take a bit of time so I'm set to enjoy this evening!

Last edited by seaquam
seaquam posted:

Hosting a wine dinner tonight for first time in what seems like a very long time. I shouldn't be as excited as I am, but I am.  

- Shrimp appetizer, 2002 Pol Roger Winston Churchill, and a blind Champagne from a guest who's recently returned from France

- Ginger and carrot soup, cashew garnish, 2008 J J Prum Riesling Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese

- Roast salmon with vino cotto dressing, lemon risotto, 2008 Leroy Meursault 1er Les Boucheres

- Asst. small pastries from local bakery, 2009 Selbach Oster Riesling Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Beerenauslese

Prep's all done; only the risotto will take a bit of time so I'm set to enjoy this evening!

Very nice my friend. I’m sure you enjoyed. Cheers!

seaquam posted:

Sounds great, enjoy!!

With fellow forumites mareff, winedrmike, greenmike, Dave, Tom, Brian, and wives:

Billecart Salmon NV

1997  Tignanello

1950 Bodegas Berberana Gran Reserva (WOTN)

2011 SQN Dark Blossom 2011

1970 Inglenook (91)

1987 Vega Sicilia

1989 Dunn Howell Mountain

2001 Mouton

1989 Ride Monte Bello

1970 Beychevelle

1988 Leoville Las Cases

2006 Querce Bettina Brunello Riserva.  

Wine was very nice but more advanced than I expected at this stage and, as has been my recent experience with this producer, the cork was saturated almost 90% of the way through.  2 more bottles from them in the cellar but no more will be purchased until they clean this up. 

doubled posted:

With fellow forumites mareff, winedrmike, greenmike, Dave, Tom, Brian, and wives:

Billecart Salmon NV

1997  Tignanello

1970 Inglenook (91)

1987 Vega Sicilia

2001 Mouton

1989 Ride Monte Bello

1970 Beychevelle

1988 Leoville Las Cases

The 1950 Berberana Rioja was a great surprise.  Checking my records, I picked that up in an auction about 9 months ago for the all-in price of $74.  Those sort of gems don't come around too often.

Also had a 2004 Chateau Coutet with dessert.  Speaking of food, North Square restaurant in Greenwich Village was a great call DoubleD. Food was good, reasonably priced and corkage was only $15.

My WOTN was the '87 Vega Sicilia Unico- fantastic right out of the gate. The '01 Mouton is in a great spot right now.  I think there was a touch of bret on the '88 LLC, but otherwise all of the wines were great.

winedrmike posted:
doubled posted:

Billecart Salmon NV

1997  Tignanello

1970 Inglenook (91)

1987 Vega Sicilia

2001 Mouton

1989 Ride Monte Bello

1970 Beychevelle

1988 Leoville Las Cases

The 1950 Berberana Rioja was a great surprise.  Checking my records, I picked that up in an auction about 9 months ago for the all-in price of $74.  Those sort of gems don't come around too often.

Also had a 2004 Chateau Coutet with dessert.  Speaking of food, North Square restaurant in Greenwich Village was a great call DoubleD. Food was good, reasonably priced and corkage was only $15.

My WOTN was the '87 Vega Sicilia Unico- fantastic right out of the gate. The '01 Mouton is in a great spot right now.  I think there was a touch of bret on the '88 LLC, but otherwise all of the wines were great. 

Thanks Mike.  I love the Berberana.  Not only was it a treat, but it was also delicious.

The Ridge, Vega, Dunn HM, and Mouton didn't disappointment.  They were so good that I can't pick one over the other.  I didn't notice the brett on the LLC.  I thought it was lovely as was the Tig.  They were the next tier.  The Inglenook was still alive and drinking well.  Hard to compete with the younger wines.

Saturday  night with Allred, slipstichpass and our wives at Bite Cafe:

2011 Rene Geoffroy Champagne Premier Cru Volupte
NV Coessnes Champagne Rose de Saignee Largillier
NV Andre Clouet Champagne Un jour de 1911
2008 Joseph Drouhin Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Mouches Blanc
2012 Ceritas Chardonnay Porter-Bass Vineyard
2012 WesMar Pinot Noir Hellenthal Vineyard
2012 Ceritas Piinot Noir Hellenthal Vineyard
2003 Chateau Filhot

It was interesting to see the Ceritas and WesMar Hellenthals side by side.  Every bottle showed excellent, and Bite Cafe is a great BYO spot in Chicago if you are looking for a casual night with excellent food.

Last night we had a 2012 Paloma Merlot with is drinking beautifully, but definitely needs a decant for sediment.

csm posted:

Wine was very nice but more advanced than I expected at this stage and, as has been my recent experience with this producer, the cork was saturated almost 90% of the way through.  2 more bottles from them in the cellar but no more will be purchased until they clean this up. 

CSM-I met with Roberto in February and he acknowledged that the corks used in his wines were experiencing issues through the 2009 vintage. He switched cork suppliers for the 2010 vintage and has not seen issues since. He made the switch as soon as he realized the problem. 

longboarder posted:
csm posted:

CSM-I met with Roberto in February and he acknowledged that the corks used in his wines were experiencing issues through the 2009 vintage. He switched cork suppliers for the 2010 vintage and has not seen issues since. He made the switch as soon as he realized the problem. 

He must have still had some bad corks to use up after he switched.  It was the 2010 vintage that I had trouble vis corks.  Have you been buying them since (2011+) Longboarder?  It was great wine, but too many bad corks for me.

thelostverse posted:

Saturday  night with Allred, slipstichpass and our wives at Bite Cafe:

2011 Rene Geoffroy Champagne Premier Cru Volupte
NV Coessnes Champagne Rose de Saignee Largillier
NV Andre Clouet Champagne Un jour de 1911
2008 Joseph Drouhin Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Mouches Blanc
2012 Ceritas Chardonnay Porter-Bass Vineyard
2012 WesMar Pinot Noir Hellenthal Vineyard
2012 Ceritas Piinot Noir Hellenthal Vineyard
2003 Chateau Filhot

It was interesting to see the Ceritas and WesMar Hellenthals side by side.  Every bottle showed excellent, and Bite Cafe is a great BYO spot in Chicago if you are looking for a casual night with excellent food.

Last night we had a 2012 Paloma Merlot with is drinking beautifully, but definitely needs a decant for sediment.

That 12 Paloma is pretty chunky. I think we found a whole grape in a bottle

vincentric posted:
longboarder posted:
csm posted:

He must have still had some bad corks to use up after he switched.  It was the 2010 vintage that I had trouble vis corks.  Have you been biuying them since (2011+) Longboarder?  It was great wine, but too many bad corks for me.

I have his wines back to his first vintage (2004). I did see a problem with the corks in the ‘06 Riserva. Interestingly, not in the ‘06 normale. I have opened some ‘11 BdMs and no cork issues. I haven’t opened a ‘10 BdM but have opened the RdMs with no issues. He did switch cork producers in 2010 when he found out the issue with the previous supplier. Sorry about your 2010s. I am still buying his wines and have all Brunelli through 2015 (no 2014 since he didn’t bottle one). 

Last edited by longboarder
longboarder posted:
vincentric posted:
longboarder posted:
csm posted:

He must have still had some bad corks to use up after he switched.  It was the 2010 vintage that I had trouble vis corks.  Have you been biuying them since (2011+) Longboarder?  It was great wine, but too many bad corks for me.

I have his wines back to his first vintage (2004). I did see a problem with the corks in the ‘06 Riserva. Interestingly, not in the ‘06 normale. I have opened some ‘11 BdMs and no cork issues. I haven’t opened a ‘10 BdM but have opened the RdMs with no issues. He did switch cork producers in 2010 when he found out the issue with the previous supplier. Sorry about your 2010s. I am still buying his wines and have all Brunelli through 2015 (no 2014 since he didn’t bottle one). 

Good to hear that the cork issue has been dealt with.  The wine that wasn't affected was delicious. 

I forgot to post what Mimik and I drank last week one evening with our better halves and another friend.

2018 Pearce Predhomme, Chenin Blanc, Old Vines

2016 Heitlinger, Pinot Blanc, Eichelberg GG

2018 Domaine Thymiopoulos, Naoussa, Xinomavro, Young Vines

2009 Roger Sabon, CdP, Le Secret des Sabon

The Sabon was outstanding. One of the best CdP's I've had for a while.

And then last few days

2014 Domaine Billaud-Simon, Chablis, Tete D'Or

2016 Domaine Sigalas, Santorini, Assyrtiko

2012 El Regajal, Vinos de Madrid, Galia

Note to self: Next time the Sigalas is released don't mess around buying a bottle or two, buy a case.

Last week at Eight Tables in SF at a special dinner prepared by Laurent Manrique, first Exec Chef of the original Aqua restaurant (in order of pouring):

2003 Krug Brut
2007 Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet 
2014 Latour-Giraud Meursault-Genevrières (from magnum)
2012 Joseph Roty Gevrey Chambertin Les Champs-Chenys (90 y/o vines, from magnum)
1969 Jean Gros Clos de Réas
1970 LdH Viña Tondonia
1982 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo
1992 Cheval Blanc (from Imperial)
1937 D’Oliveras Sercial Madeira 

Last edited by ProSys

Dear friend in town for a quick biz trip, so another dear friend and several other folks gathered for dinner this past Thursday at The Morris.  With the out of town dear friend and another mutual acquaintance, we shared a pre-dinner bottle of 2017 Comte Liger-Belair Clos Du Château Monopole.  We had the foresight to request this be decanted for 5 hours, and it certainly made for a very positive experience.

At dinner, we had:

1999 Chave Hermitage
2004 JJ Prum Bernkasteler Johannisbrunnchen Eiswein
2006 Louis Roederer Cristal
2009 Bizot Vosne-Romanée 
2010 Arpepe Sassella Stella Retica Riserva
2011 Allemand Cornas (Sans Soufre)
2014 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo
2014 Marcel Juge Cornas
2017 Roulot Clos des Bouchéres

As usual, the Juge was the star.  Chave was unfortunately corked.  Prum, Cristal, Allemand and Roulot all were singing as you’d expect.  Mascarello was good, but too young.  Bizot was weird funky, and not necessarily in a good way (bottle wasn’t off, just stylistically funky).  Arpepe was decent, but simply outclassed by everything else.  

Nightcap was a pour of 2019 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.  Fun times!

Last edited by ProSys
vincentric posted:
longboarder posted:
vincentric posted:
longboarder posted:
csm posted:

Good to hear that the cork issue has been dealt with.  The wine that wasn't affected was delicious. 

LB, I opened a 2006 normale last week. As soon as I removed the foil I could see wine had been leaking out the top of the bottle. Sure enough, the cork had a streak from bottom to top. As with csm's Riserva the wine was still good, but was headed down a pruny path well before its time. 

I was a QB fan and even helped facilitate several group purchases by local winos from the agent in Quebec.  But with so many other great wines out there yearning for my earnings, I'm also done with this brand until I see and taste concrete proof this issue is behind them.  

Attachments

Images (1)
  • QB_2006
italianwino posted:

2016 Melville Sandy's Pinot Noir

A beauty that I bought at the winery with really good whole cluster concentration and a beautiful basket of spices. Burgundy profile from an excellent California producer.

IW

Love that wine!  I’ve had it 3 times and, true story, I’m drinking the regular ‘16 as I type this. The Sandy’s is usually way ahead of the regular for me but in ‘16 I actually think it is closer. Also, just reloaded my Melville Sandy’s yesterday and my basic ‘16 on Friday for this shut-in. At $50 for the Sandy’s (across vintages) and $35 for the ‘16 regular I find these amongst my favorite CA Pinots from a value proposition. And the Sandy’s is one of my favorites even leaving aside cost!

cheers!

bomba503 posted:

Let's just call it for what it is. Household wine consumption in my home is trending way up. How about yours?

Well... I'm trying to stay healthy and not do anything in excess, but I purchased 67 bottles of $16-$70 wine over the weekend in anticipation of wanting a couple of glasses most nights for the foreseeable future.

(Also stocked up on Allagash Tripel, my go-to beer) 

Last edited by winetarelli
winetarelli posted:

Well... I'm trying to stay healthy and not do anything in excess, but I purchased 67 bottles of $16-$70 wine over the weekend in anticipation of wanting a couple of glasses most nights for the foreseeable future.

(Also stocked up on Allagash Tripel, my go-to beer) 

I mean, 67 bottles seems like a lot.  But then I realized that without sports to watch, or the kids' sports to coach/watch, I spend a decent amount of time perusing Winebid and online auctions...not to mention taking a look at the deals that some wineries are throwing out there.  There is a decent chance my purchases go up quite a bit over the next few weeks!

2005 Terredora, Taurasi, Pago dei Fusi

I don't believe I've ever had an Aglianico with this much age so no idea what it should taste like, but it was tasty. Not the 94 tasty that Galloni gave it, but still excellent. Very slight balsamic note suggests drinking it sooner than later. The wine definitely gained some weight with time in the decanter.

vint posted:
vincentric posted:
longboarder posted:
vincentric posted:
longboarder posted:
csm posted:

LB, I opened a 2006 normale last week. As soon as I removed the foil I could see wine had been leaking out the top of the bottle. Sure enough, the cork had a streak from bottom to top. As with csm's Riserva the wine was still good, but was headed down a pruny path well before its time. 

I was a QB fan and even helped facilitate several group purchases by local winos from the agent in Quebec.  But with so many other great wines out there yearning for my earnings, I'm also done with this brand until I see and taste concrete proof this issue is behind them.  

I can understand your frustration. I have younger vintages and will report the cork status as I begin to open them. Sad that excellent wine like this can be damaged by poor corks. 

bomba503 posted:
robsutherland posted:

2016 Bedrock Compagni Portis

Field-blend of Gewürztraminer, Trousseau Gris, Roter Veltliner, Riesling, Chardonnay. Massively aromatic. 

Big fan of that vineyard. Too bad they only make a little as does Bedrock. I know Shane T is also. You like?

You mean Carlisle as the other? 

I love it. It's not a Gewürzt, it's not riesling. You can stick your nose in it all night and it ages really well. 

racer117 posted:

2001 Allegrini Villa Giona. Paired with annoyance, a bit of desperation, and a delicious veggie dinner.  A very nice and surprisingly young tasting and feeling BDX blend from Veneto.

I've always wondered what to pair with annoyance and desperation. Thanks Racer.

Last couple of nights we had

2015 Castello di Volpaia, Chianti Classico

2013 Pearl Morissette, Chardonnay, Cuvée Dix-Neuvieme

2005 Chateau de Chorey, Beaune, Les Cras, Vieilles Vignes

FWIW, the previous bottle of Chorey I opened 5 years ago was better than this one.

In anticipation of possibly a long home stay, I’ve made a few stocks, soups and stews, freezing as much as I can fit into our suddenly-too-small freezer. We’ve had cold weather, and dined on chicken cacciatore, beef stew, lentil and chicken soup, spaghetti with garlic and oil, basically heavier winter meals than we would usually have. We also drank more red wines than we would usually have:

- 2010 Masi Amarone Costasera

- 2006 Ornellaia

- 2004 Cristia Chateauneuf Vieilles Vignes

- 2000 Beaucastel Chateauneuf

- 2001 Beaucastel Chateauneuf

- 2005 Charvin Chateauneuf

I still have a lot of Chateauneufs, going back to mid-90’s, and will continue opening those for a while, something we havent done in a long time. The best of those above was the Cristia, very rich, peppery, lots of dark fruit, long rich finish.

Most enjoyable of all those wines was, perhaps not surprisingly, the Ornellaia, huge nose, good acidity, berry, plum, pipe tobacco, black licorice, silky, some fine tannins on the finish but outlasted easily by the dark fruit, even better than expected, no hurry to drink these.

Instead of going on our cancelled holiday, we have decided to have simple meals at home with nice wines. Not the worst thing to have happen.

Some quarantine cellar thinning:

2014 Carlisle The Derivative - right up there with the compagni portis.  For all the love carlisles reds get I think the whites are outta sight.

2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Saitone 

2017 Arnot-Roberts Ribolla Gialla

2005 Paolo Bea Vigna San Valentino - soooo good.  no brett/VA.  Comes off light and lithe but there's a whole world of blood oranges and fresh herbal notes just beneath the surface.

2005 Vieux Donjon CdP - thanks to Fut for the heads up.  Just entering its drinking window.  My son said it reminded him of a shirley temple mixed with a forest.  Pretty bang on.

2013 Domaine Grand Veneur CdP blanc 'La Fontaine' - ok.  kind of shut down at the moment.  holding off on my remaining bottles.  

2007 Clos Haut-Peyraguey

2014 Tenuta Della Terre Nere Etna Rosso

2015 Tenute della Terre Nere Etna Bianco - these keep getting better.  another case of a producer with good reds, but those whites are really something special.

2015 Venus La Universal Montsant 'Dido'

mimik posted:
billhike posted:

2014 Guigal St. Joseph. Loving the aroma combo of red fruit, tar and roasted meat. White pepper and cherry flavors. Really nice and overall elegant. 

Nice. This would go really well with a nice grilled piece of meat, asparagus and roasted potatoes. Try it with that next time. -)

Petit malin!

cellar thinning over the past couple weeks 

2006 Bibi Graetz Testamatta  - wild in an attractive way but the oak is still heavy handed. Reminded me of a Tenuta Nuova but with a wild herb component. It's the only vintage I have of this wine and will hold remaining bottles for 3-5 more years. 

2017 Domaine Vincent Paris Cornas Granit 30 - put a smile on my face. 

2005 Maison Champy Savigny-lès-Beaune Aux Fourches - drink 

2008 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco - young but yes 

2015 Bodegas y Viñedos Castro Ventosa Bierzo Valtuille El Rapolao - drink or hold.....tough to keep my hands off them 

2003 Tardieu-Laurent Côte-Rôtie - i'm ok with this for what it is

2007 Fontodi Flaccianello - entering its window with some airtime. Not a very good QPR even at purchase price...yet 

2009 Château Grand Village

2007 Bouchard Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Beaune du Château

2006 Fattoria Viticcio Chianti Classico Riserva 

? COS Rami - these were much better on release  - they seem to have lost most aromatics 

2010 Colle Uncinano Sangiovese Riserva Spoleto - took a flier at the vintages store at 27/427 - not disappointed as a daily drinker. 

2006 Ca' Marcanda (Gaja) Promis 

2017 Faury St Joseph Vielles Vignes. 2nd time this year. Wonderful “real” Northern Rhone for ~ $45. All bacon, olive, bay leaf, and a bit savory roast beef with underlying purple syrah fruit. Ready to drink with a 45 minute decant; should improve slightly over the next few years, but this is more for drinking while waiting on your Cote-Roties. Bravo!

winetarelli posted:

2017 Faury St Joseph Vielles Vignes. 2nd time this year. Wonderful “real” Northern Rhone for ~ $45. All bacon, olive, bay leaf, and a bit savory roast beef with underlying purple syrah fruit. Ready to drink with a 45 minute decant; should improve slightly over the next few years, but this is more for drinking while waiting on your Cote-Roties. Bravo!

nice.  Love most everything they produce.

On lockdown: 

2008 Chiara Boschis Barolo Cannubi - good but advancing quickly

2016 Brancaia Tre - good qpr drink now

2010 Jadot Chateau des Jacques Moulin a Vent Clos de Rochegres - at peak - beautiful

1967 Dr. Perin Barolo, Monforte - singing 

2013 Jadot Ch des Jacques Moulin a Vent Clos du Grand Carquelin - nice but not likely to improve.

2015 Paolo Scavino Langhe Nebbiolo - nice but young. 

billhike posted:

2008 Evening Land Pinot Noir Seven Springs La Source. Very good, but I think I was expecting something more. 1st world problem. 

Somehow I already knew you had that last night.

2017 Domaine Jean Royer CDP Cuvee Prestige with Shepherd's Pie

2013 Force Majeure Collaboration Series Vi Ciel du Cheval Vineyard - seemed timely as I have been analyzing a lot of Force Majeure clauses lately.  As part of a virtual wine tasting

jcocktosten posted:

2013 Force Majeure Collaboration Series Vi Ciel du Cheval Vineyard - seemed timely as I have been analyzing a lot of Force Majeure clauses lately.  As part of a virtual wine tasting

What did you think?  I didn't tend to buy a lot of this wine, as it I was a bigger fan of their bordeaux style and syrahs, and this one was more Southern Rhone if I am not mistaken. I was a fan of this project when it was Grand Reve, but I stopped buying around the 2013 vintage.  Too many lists and it was getting up in price.  

azwiese posted:
jcocktosten posted:

What did you think?  I didn't tend to buy a lot of this wine, as it I was a bigger fan of their bordeaux style and syrahs, and this one was more Southern Rhone if I am not mistaken. I was a fan of this project when it was Grand Reve, but I stopped buying around the 2013 vintage.  Too many lists and it was getting up in price.  

We got from Garagiste  - $33 plus shipping.  Thought it was very tasty and yes was a GSM blend.  

Riper and richer than the CDP we had prior but I enjoyed it a lot and am happy we have 3 more

2018 Keller Abtserde GG.

This is spectacular, has to be one of the finest whites in the world. Beautiful nose with peach, apple, wet rocks, honeycomb, flint. Very fresh. Medium plus bodied with great density and weight, while still somehow being weightless and full of freshness. Has put on weight since I tasted this at the Keller Open last year. Endless finish with reverberating waves of flavour, density, bracing acidity, freshness. An OMG wine. Make that OMFG.

shavez posted:

2018 Keller Abtserde GG.

This is spectacular, has to be one of the finest whites in the world. Beautiful nose with peach, apple, wet rocks, honeycomb, flint. Very fresh. Medium plus bodied with great density and weight, while still somehow being weightless and full of freshness. Has put on weight since I tasted this at the Keller Open last year. Endless finish with reverberating waves of flavour, density, bracing acidity, freshness. An OMG wine. Make that OMFG.

Definitely on my short list of wines I need to try at some point.  Thanks!

2018 Lapierre Morgon.  Good, but not special in any way.

We've had a bottle of  Emilio Hidalgo Oloroso Gobernador open for a small aperitif each evening for about a week, a lovely and complex sherry that has a lot going on, beautiful rich amber colour, honey, treacle, Brazil nut in the mouth, some saltiness, toffee, fig, and a fascinating sort of sweet and sour tension that runs just below all the flavours, ending with a long rich finish. This won't be a mainstay of my cellar, but man it has been fun to drink this, especially with roasted nuts.

Two nights ago we had a bottle of 2008 Betz Family Vineyards Syrah La Côte Rousse, still dark, beautiful berry nose, very silky with dark berry and black pepper flavours, good acidity, and a finish that fades gently. Had a previous bottle in 2015 when it was more powerful with some noticeable tannins, so I'd drink these up in the next year or two if I had more; probably better a couple of years ago. 

We had a bottle that I stood up for Valentine's Day but never opened, so we finally had it last night: 1982 Calon-Ségur. In the decanter it's dark with very little bricking, hard to believe it's almost 40 years old. Lovely nose of berries and light icing sugar, and loaded with blackcurrant, plum, tobacco, black licorice, and a bit of dark chocolate, really fills the palate with smooth richness, and a long finish that highlights the fruit again.  Wonderful wine!  (On a related note, we took a bottle of this to an offline in Seattle a few years ago, and our long-absent WS friend Parcival was amazed that a Bordeaux could be so similar to his beloved Napa Cabs; IIRC that's what got him interested in Bordeaux.  This wine is quite atypical for Calon-Ségur, but maybe not for '82 Bordeaux.)

Tonight with some home-made chicken and vegetable soup with lots of chicken bits in it, we'll have a bottle of 2015 Duboeuf Chateau de Capitans Juliénas, one of our favourite Beaujolais from an outstanding vintage in that area; this has become our house red in the last couple of years, and I still seem to have quite a bit of it.

As some of you know, for the last 5 or10 years my wife and I have greatly favoured white wines as our food tastes had migrated to lighter and fresher meals, lots of fish and vegetables.  But for the last few weeks we've both had an almost-insatiable craving for red wines. I've got some theories as to why.

I hope everyone stays safe and healthy in these very trying times.

vint posted:
billhike posted:

2018 Bruno Giacosa Roerno Arneis

2017 Vietti Barbera D’Asti Tra Vigne

I saw that you finally located some Giacosa. Thoughts?

Without question more interesting than the Vietti version. Increased complexity with an interesting floral/perfumed note. I’m liking it more as it warming up. It’s not likely to be a go-to white for me, but it’s certainly interesting. So many grapes and regions in Italy...

azwiese posted:

2016 Leeuwin Chardonnay Art Series.  This wine has never let me down.  If I'm choosing 3 chards to drink for the rest of my life, it'd be this, Mt. Eden, and Shibumi Knoll (which I've only had thanks to SD Wineaux)

29/03/20

Interesting. I would choose the Leeuwin and Mount Eden also, but my third would either be Christian Moreau Les Clos or Varner. That said, I hadn't even heard of Shibumi Knoll until this morning. Some pretty high powered help they have.

2004 Marcel Lapierre Morgon.  Was worried since i took posession of a couple of these bottles - the colour in them is so pale it looked like a rose and I wasnt sure what to expect.  Stood it up, carefully decanted off very fine sediment and WOW.  The floral lift off the nose was stunning.  It rolled into blood orange, a bit of cinnamon and licorice and again this floral lift on the end and hints of mint.  In spite of being a shade past rose there was good body and acidity to it.  Mrs. VeV remarked that all the hallmarks of young bojo - the strawberries, sappy fruits, bubblegum notes were nowhere to be found and she loved it too.  Great foil for BGE roast chicken and a green salad.  

Over the past week:

2015 Leaning Post Wines Riesling The Geek
1997 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon
2004 Beaulieu Vineyard Tapestry Reserve
2008 Viñedos Bernabeleva Vinos de Madrid Arroyo del Tórtolas
2006 Sterling Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Diamond Mountain Ranch Vineyard
NV Marc Hébrart Champagne Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut

Both the Spottswoode and Beaulieu were terrific. Everything you'd want in an older Cali Cab. Fruit still vibrant, cedar and tobacco tertiary notes in play.

The '08 Bernabeleva was also very good: more weight and less lifted than current vintages of the Vina Bonita, with some mushroom notes. 

Opened the Sterling last night. I bought 12 of these back around 2013 and have opened a couple each year since. The first bottles were as hard as nails, but now it's awesome. But I'm a sucker for Napa mountain wine, especially Diamond and (of course) Howell.

sunnylea57 posted:

Over the past week:

Both the Spottswoode and Beaulieu were terrific. Everything you'd want in an older Cali Cab. Fruit still vibrant, cedar and tobacco tertiary notes in play.

The '08 Bernabeleva was also very good: more weight and less lifted than current vintages of the Vina Bonita, with some mushroom notes. 

Opened the Sterling last night. I bought 12 of these back around 2013 and have opened a couple each year since. The first bottles were as hard as nails, but now it's awesome. But I'm a sucker for Napa mountain wine, especially Diamond and (of course) Howell.

Since you didn’t add any comment about the Leaning Post wine, I’m guessing it wasn’t memorable to you. It may have been my favorite winery visit in the region a few years ago, and I greatly enjoyed all three various bottles I brought back. That said, I don’t recall tasting a Riesling.

billhike posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

Over the past week:

Since you didn’t add any comment about the Leaning Post wine, I’m guessing it wasn’t memorable to you. It may have been my favorite winery visit in the region a few years ago, and I greatly enjoyed all three various bottles I brought back. That said, I don’t recall tasting a Riesling.

It was a decent and "varietally correct" Riesling. Very slightly off-dry, lots of petrol, but ultimately nothing special.

It's a bit of a gimmicky wine. They add the lees from their Chardonnay and earlier vintages for the Riesling, and then the wine spends an additional 2 years on all the extra lees. They refer to it as a "Solara-lees system". I can't say that the extra time on all that lees made any difference to the flavour.

With the craziest month most of us have probably ever experienced finally coming to an end, the past week has been one for as much bubbly as possible as a daily celebration of life:

NV Bruno Paillard Premiere Cuvée Brut Rose
NV Diebolt-Vallois Blanc de Blancs Brut
NV Lombard & Cie Verzenay Grand Cru Brut Nature 
NV Perrier-Jouet Brut 
NV Piper-Heidsieck Cuvée Brut 
2005 Lanson Gold Label