Skip to main content

vint posted:
vincentric posted:
longboarder posted:
vincentric posted:
longboarder posted:
csm posted:

2006 Querce Bettina Brunello Riserva.  

Wine was very nice but more advanced than I expected at this stage and, as has been my recent experience with this producer, the cork was saturated almost 90% of the way through.  2 more bottles from them in the cellar but no more will be purchased until they clean this up. 

CSM-I met with Roberto in February and he acknowledged that the corks used in his wines were experiencing issues through the 2009 vintage. He switched cork suppliers for the 2010 vintage and has not seen issues since. He made the switch as soon as he realized the problem. 

He must have still had some bad corks to use up after he switched.  It was the 2010 vintage that I had trouble vis corks.  Have you been biuying them since (2011+) Longboarder?  It was great wine, but too many bad corks for me.

I have his wines back to his first vintage (2004). I did see a problem with the corks in the ‘06 Riserva. Interestingly, not in the ‘06 normale. I have opened some ‘11 BdMs and no cork issues. I haven’t opened a ‘10 BdM but have opened the RdMs with no issues. He did switch cork producers in 2010 when he found out the issue with the previous supplier. Sorry about your 2010s. I am still buying his wines and have all Brunelli through 2015 (no 2014 since he didn’t bottle one). 

Good to hear that the cork issue has been dealt with.  The wine that wasn't affected was delicious. 

LB, I opened a 2006 normale last week. As soon as I removed the foil I could see wine had been leaking out the top of the bottle. Sure enough, the cork had a streak from bottom to top. As with csm's Riserva the wine was still good, but was headed down a pruny path well before its time. 

I was a QB fan and even helped facilitate several group purchases by local winos from the agent in Quebec.  But with so many other great wines out there yearning for my earnings, I'm also done with this brand until I see and taste concrete proof this issue is behind them.  

I can understand your frustration. I have younger vintages and will report the cork status as I begin to open them. Sad that excellent wine like this can be damaged by poor corks. 

bomba503 posted:
robsutherland posted:

2016 Bedrock Compagni Portis

Field-blend of Gewürztraminer, Trousseau Gris, Roter Veltliner, Riesling, Chardonnay. Massively aromatic. 

Big fan of that vineyard. Too bad they only make a little as does Bedrock. I know Shane T is also. You like?

You mean Carlisle as the other? 

I love it. It's not a Gewürzt, it's not riesling. You can stick your nose in it all night and it ages really well. 

racer117 posted:

2001 Allegrini Villa Giona. Paired with annoyance, a bit of desperation, and a delicious veggie dinner.  A very nice and surprisingly young tasting and feeling BDX blend from Veneto.

I've always wondered what to pair with annoyance and desperation. Thanks Racer.

Last couple of nights we had

2015 Castello di Volpaia, Chianti Classico

2013 Pearl Morissette, Chardonnay, Cuvée Dix-Neuvieme

2005 Chateau de Chorey, Beaune, Les Cras, Vieilles Vignes

FWIW, the previous bottle of Chorey I opened 5 years ago was better than this one.

In anticipation of possibly a long home stay, I’ve made a few stocks, soups and stews, freezing as much as I can fit into our suddenly-too-small freezer. We’ve had cold weather, and dined on chicken cacciatore, beef stew, lentil and chicken soup, spaghetti with garlic and oil, basically heavier winter meals than we would usually have. We also drank more red wines than we would usually have:

- 2010 Masi Amarone Costasera

- 2006 Ornellaia

- 2004 Cristia Chateauneuf Vieilles Vignes

- 2000 Beaucastel Chateauneuf

- 2001 Beaucastel Chateauneuf

- 2005 Charvin Chateauneuf

I still have a lot of Chateauneufs, going back to mid-90’s, and will continue opening those for a while, something we havent done in a long time. The best of those above was the Cristia, very rich, peppery, lots of dark fruit, long rich finish.

Most enjoyable of all those wines was, perhaps not surprisingly, the Ornellaia, huge nose, good acidity, berry, plum, pipe tobacco, black licorice, silky, some fine tannins on the finish but outlasted easily by the dark fruit, even better than expected, no hurry to drink these.

Instead of going on our cancelled holiday, we have decided to have simple meals at home with nice wines. Not the worst thing to have happen.

Some quarantine cellar thinning:

2014 Carlisle The Derivative - right up there with the compagni portis.  For all the love carlisles reds get I think the whites are outta sight.

2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Saitone 

2017 Arnot-Roberts Ribolla Gialla

2005 Paolo Bea Vigna San Valentino - soooo good.  no brett/VA.  Comes off light and lithe but there's a whole world of blood oranges and fresh herbal notes just beneath the surface.

2005 Vieux Donjon CdP - thanks to Fut for the heads up.  Just entering its drinking window.  My son said it reminded him of a shirley temple mixed with a forest.  Pretty bang on.

2013 Domaine Grand Veneur CdP blanc 'La Fontaine' - ok.  kind of shut down at the moment.  holding off on my remaining bottles.  

2007 Clos Haut-Peyraguey

2014 Tenuta Della Terre Nere Etna Rosso

2015 Tenute della Terre Nere Etna Bianco - these keep getting better.  another case of a producer with good reds, but those whites are really something special.

2015 Venus La Universal Montsant 'Dido'

mimik posted:
billhike posted:

2014 Guigal St. Joseph. Loving the aroma combo of red fruit, tar and roasted meat. White pepper and cherry flavors. Really nice and overall elegant. 

Nice. This would go really well with a nice grilled piece of meat, asparagus and roasted potatoes. Try it with that next time. -)

Petit malin!

cellar thinning over the past couple weeks 

2006 Bibi Graetz Testamatta  - wild in an attractive way but the oak is still heavy handed. Reminded me of a Tenuta Nuova but with a wild herb component. It's the only vintage I have of this wine and will hold remaining bottles for 3-5 more years. 

2017 Domaine Vincent Paris Cornas Granit 30 - put a smile on my face. 

2005 Maison Champy Savigny-lès-Beaune Aux Fourches - drink 

2008 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco - young but yes 

2015 Bodegas y Viñedos Castro Ventosa Bierzo Valtuille El Rapolao - drink or hold.....tough to keep my hands off them 

2003 Tardieu-Laurent Côte-Rôtie - i'm ok with this for what it is

2007 Fontodi Flaccianello - entering its window with some airtime. Not a very good QPR even at purchase price...yet 

2009 Château Grand Village

2007 Bouchard Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Beaune du Château

2006 Fattoria Viticcio Chianti Classico Riserva 

? COS Rami - these were much better on release  - they seem to have lost most aromatics 

2010 Colle Uncinano Sangiovese Riserva Spoleto - took a flier at the vintages store at 27/427 - not disappointed as a daily drinker. 

2006 Ca' Marcanda (Gaja) Promis 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.