2011 Rene Geoffroy Champagne Premier Cru Volupte
NV Coessnes Champagne Rose de Saignee Largillier
NV Andre Clouet Champagne Un jour de 1911
2008 Joseph Drouhin Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Mouches Blanc
2012 Ceritas Chardonnay Porter-Bass Vineyard
2012 WesMar Pinot Noir Hellenthal Vineyard
2012 Ceritas Piinot Noir Hellenthal Vineyard
2003 Chateau Filhot

It was interesting to see the Ceritas and WesMar Hellenthals side by side.  Every bottle showed excellent, and Bite Cafe is a great BYO spot in Chicago if you are looking for a casual night with excellent food.

Last night we had a 2012 Paloma Merlot with is drinking beautifully, but definitely needs a decant for sediment.

That 12 Paloma is pretty chunky. I think we found a whole grape in a bottle

vincentric posted:
longboarder posted:
csm posted:

2006 Querce Bettina Brunello Riserva.  

Wine was very nice but more advanced than I expected at this stage and, as has been my recent experience with this producer, the cork was saturated almost 90% of the way through.  2 more bottles from them in the cellar but no more will be purchased until they clean this up. 

CSM-I met with Roberto in February and he acknowledged that the corks used in his wines were experiencing issues through the 2009 vintage. He switched cork suppliers for the 2010 vintage and has not seen issues since. He made the switch as soon as he realized the problem. 

He must have still had some bad corks to use up after he switched.  It was the 2010 vintage that I had trouble vis corks.  Have you been biuying them since (2011+) Longboarder?  It was great wine, but too many bad corks for me.

I have his wines back to his first vintage (2004). I did see a problem with the corks in the ‘06 Riserva. Interestingly, not in the ‘06 normale. I have opened some ‘11 BdMs and no cork issues. I haven’t opened a ‘10 BdM but have opened the RdMs with no issues. He did switch cork producers in 2010 when he found out the issue with the previous supplier. Sorry about your 2010s. I am still buying his wines and have all Brunelli through 2015 (no 2014 since he didn’t bottle one). 

Last edited by longboarder
longboarder posted:
vincentric posted:
longboarder posted:
csm posted:

Wine was very nice but more advanced than I expected at this stage and, as has been my recent experience with this producer, the cork was saturated almost 90% of the way through.  2 more bottles from them in the cellar but no more will be purchased until they clean this up. 

CSM-I met with Roberto in February and he acknowledged that the corks used in his wines were experiencing issues through the 2009 vintage. He switched cork suppliers for the 2010 vintage and has not seen issues since. He made the switch as soon as he realized the problem. 

He must have still had some bad corks to use up after he switched.  It was the 2010 vintage that I had trouble vis corks.  Have you been biuying them since (2011+) Longboarder?  It was great wine, but too many bad corks for me.

I have his wines back to his first vintage (2004). I did see a problem with the corks in the ‘06 Riserva. Interestingly, not in the ‘06 normale. I have opened some ‘11 BdMs and no cork issues. I haven’t opened a ‘10 BdM but have opened the RdMs with no issues. He did switch cork producers in 2010 when he found out the issue with the previous supplier. Sorry about your 2010s. I am still buying his wines and have all Brunelli through 2015 (no 2014 since he didn’t bottle one). 

Good to hear that the cork issue has been dealt with.  The wine that wasn't affected was delicious. 

I forgot to post what Mimik and I drank last week one evening with our better halves and another friend.

2018 Pearce Predhomme, Chenin Blanc, Old Vines

2016 Heitlinger, Pinot Blanc, Eichelberg GG

2018 Domaine Thymiopoulos, Naoussa, Xinomavro, Young Vines

2009 Roger Sabon, CdP, Le Secret des Sabon

The Sabon was outstanding. One of the best CdP's I've had for a while.

And then last few days

2014 Domaine Billaud-Simon, Chablis, Tete D'Or

2016 Domaine Sigalas, Santorini, Assyrtiko

2012 El Regajal, Vinos de Madrid, Galia

Note to self: Next time the Sigalas is released don't mess around buying a bottle or two, buy a case.

Last week at Eight Tables in SF at a special dinner prepared by Laurent Manrique, first Exec Chef of the original Aqua restaurant (in order of pouring):

2003 Krug Brut
2007 Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet 
2014 Latour-Giraud Meursault-Genevrières (from magnum)
2012 Joseph Roty Gevrey Chambertin Les Champs-Chenys (90 y/o vines, from magnum)
1969 Jean Gros Clos de Réas
1970 LdH Viña Tondonia
1982 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo
1992 Cheval Blanc (from Imperial)
1937 D’Oliveras Sercial Madeira 

Last edited by ProSys

Dear friend in town for a quick biz trip, so another dear friend and several other folks gathered for dinner this past Thursday at The Morris.  With the out of town dear friend and another mutual acquaintance, we shared a pre-dinner bottle of 2017 Comte Liger-Belair Clos Du Château Monopole.  We had the foresight to request this be decanted for 5 hours, and it certainly made for a very positive experience.

At dinner, we had:

1999 Chave Hermitage
2004 JJ Prum Bernkasteler Johannisbrunnchen Eiswein
2006 Louis Roederer Cristal
2009 Bizot Vosne-Romanée 
2010 Arpepe Sassella Stella Retica Riserva
2011 Allemand Cornas (Sans Soufre)
2014 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo
2014 Marcel Juge Cornas
2017 Roulot Clos des Bouchéres

As usual, the Juge was the star.  Chave was unfortunately corked.  Prum, Cristal, Allemand and Roulot all were singing as you’d expect.  Mascarello was good, but too young.  Bizot was weird funky, and not necessarily in a good way (bottle wasn’t off, just stylistically funky).  Arpepe was decent, but simply outclassed by everything else.  

Nightcap was a pour of 2019 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.  Fun times!

Last edited by ProSys
vincentric posted:
longboarder posted:
vincentric posted:
longboarder posted:
csm posted:

Good to hear that the cork issue has been dealt with.  The wine that wasn't affected was delicious. 

LB, I opened a 2006 normale last week. As soon as I removed the foil I could see wine had been leaking out the top of the bottle. Sure enough, the cork had a streak from bottom to top. As with csm's Riserva the wine was still good, but was headed down a pruny path well before its time. 

I was a QB fan and even helped facilitate several group purchases by local winos from the agent in Quebec.  But with so many other great wines out there yearning for my earnings, I'm also done with this brand until I see and taste concrete proof this issue is behind them.  

Attachments

Images (1)
  • QB_2006
italianwino posted:

2016 Melville Sandy's Pinot Noir

A beauty that I bought at the winery with really good whole cluster concentration and a beautiful basket of spices. Burgundy profile from an excellent California producer.

IW

Love that wine!  I’ve had it 3 times and, true story, I’m drinking the regular ‘16 as I type this. The Sandy’s is usually way ahead of the regular for me but in ‘16 I actually think it is closer. Also, just reloaded my Melville Sandy’s yesterday and my basic ‘16 on Friday for this shut-in. At $50 for the Sandy’s (across vintages) and $35 for the ‘16 regular I find these amongst my favorite CA Pinots from a value proposition. And the Sandy’s is one of my favorites even leaving aside cost!

cheers!

bomba503 posted:

Let's just call it for what it is. Household wine consumption in my home is trending way up. How about yours?

Well... I'm trying to stay healthy and not do anything in excess, but I purchased 67 bottles of $16-$70 wine over the weekend in anticipation of wanting a couple of glasses most nights for the foreseeable future.

(Also stocked up on Allagash Tripel, my go-to beer) 

Last edited by winetarelli
winetarelli posted:

Well... I'm trying to stay healthy and not do anything in excess, but I purchased 67 bottles of $16-$70 wine over the weekend in anticipation of wanting a couple of glasses most nights for the foreseeable future.

(Also stocked up on Allagash Tripel, my go-to beer) 

I mean, 67 bottles seems like a lot.  But then I realized that without sports to watch, or the kids' sports to coach/watch, I spend a decent amount of time perusing Winebid and online auctions...not to mention taking a look at the deals that some wineries are throwing out there.  There is a decent chance my purchases go up quite a bit over the next few weeks!

2005 Terredora, Taurasi, Pago dei Fusi

I don't believe I've ever had an Aglianico with this much age so no idea what it should taste like, but it was tasty. Not the 94 tasty that Galloni gave it, but still excellent. Very slight balsamic note suggests drinking it sooner than later. The wine definitely gained some weight with time in the decanter.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.