March 2019 - What Are You Drinking?

mangiare posted:
steve8 posted:

2015 Volpaia, Chianti Classico

I continue to be impressed with the quality of the sangiovese from the 2015 Tuscany vintage. There should be a lot of superb Brunello.

I recently opened a 2015 Riserva from Volpaia and felt the same. All of the '15 chianti's I've tried have been approachable with enough backbone to age. 

2015 Isole e Olena Chianti Classico - first CC of the vintage I thought was very meh.

2014 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Bianco Santo Spirito
2012 Bodegas y Viñedos Castro Ventosa Mencía Bierzo El Castro de Valtuille Joven

The Terre Nere single vineyard Bianco is deee-licious. Gotta get more of these.

The Mencia is a Raul Perez wine. It's also ridiculously good, especially considering it was a $9.75 CAD LCBO clearance item. Wish I'd bought every bottle they had. 

mangiare posted:
mangiare posted:
steve8 posted:

I continue to be impressed with the quality of the sangiovese from the 2015 Tuscany vintage. There should be a lot of superb Brunello.

I recently opened a 2015 Riserva from Volpaia and felt the same. All of the '15 chianti's I've tried have been approachable with enough backbone to age. 

2015 Isole e Olena Chianti Classico - first CC of the vintage I thought was very meh.

Duly noted. Thanks.

steve8 posted:
mangiare posted:
mangiare posted:
steve8 posted:

Duly noted. Thanks.

I didn't know 2015 was a great vintage for Tuscany Sangio.

I loved the 2012 Poggio Scalette CC, and I just looked at my TN from last fall for the 2015 vintage: "The 2012 is a favourite of mine and this exceeds that vintage..."

over the weekend:

2017 Thymiopoulos Xinomarvo Jeunes Vignes - like a greek beaujolais.  Very quaffable with enough going on to keep it interesting

2017 Domaine Ostertag Reisling les Jardins - good value entry level reisling. Great acidic cut.

2015 Eric Texier St. Juien en St. Alban - just a baby.  Earthy, red fruits & very clean for a texier.

2017 Bianco di Ampeleia - Like i said when i returned it "i know its a weird wine.  I know its supposed to be orange, but this is corked - all wet cardboard - dont believe me? you try it".

2017 Jean-Claude Chanudet 'La Cuvee du Chat' - like the greek wine above, but legit bojo origin and les tannic influence.  Crunchy, bright red fruit with enough going on to keep it interesting.

2016 Caespes Poggio Timorasso - My first timorasso - very full mouth feel, brusied apple/pear notes with lemon acidity.  Notes of straw/hay.  Will definetly seek out more timorasso.

2015 Vietti Perbacco - a wine i have long been a fan of, but this vintage let me down.  came across muted and one-dimensional.  lacked the ususal tannic backbone and acidity i associate with this cuvee.  Could be the heat, could be that some of the better grapes went to other cuvees, or something else entirely.  Glad i tried it before buying a case.

Over the past couple of days

2014 Stefania, Day Rogue

2010 M. Chapoutier, Hermitage Blanc, Chante-Alouette

2016 Duorum, Douro (off a wine list)

2012 Stefania, Syrah, Coastview

The Chante-Alouette was outstanding. The Day Rogue gets better with each bottle I open. The Coastview is a beast. Huge, inky, high octane. A little too high imho.

Random bottle I bought at this north county German market/breakfast place a month or so ago...

2004 W. Gisselbrecht, Gewurztraminer, Frankstein...mentions grand cru on the label.  For 20 bucks I nabbed this with no expectations, but this was surprisingly spry, golden, and an excellent match for yellow veggie curry.

csm posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
csm posted:

At Bern’s

1991 Berlinger Private Reserve  x 2 from magnum

1974 Inglenook Petite Sirah

1937 Marquis de Terme Margaux

😮 details please

The Beringer was quintessential aged Cali cab. This has a long life ahead of it though.  Still very young. 

The ingelnook was one of the more interesting wines I’ve had.  Never had one that old and it was gorgeous.  The texture was what I will recall. $65 on the list 😳😳

With our steaks, we had the Margaux which was was incredible.  Fill level was still into the neck and the aromas filled the room as it was being decanted  simply incredible. 

We wanted the ‘21 or ‘12 chateau Margaux but both were gone sadly  

had the same margaux @  berns absolutely delightful.

Add Reply

Likes (0)