quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
1996 Louis Latour Chateau Corton Grancey

I have never been impressed with any vintage of that wine

I have a '93 I should probably open soon. Have either of you tried one?

I haven't. I had the 1999 a few years ago- Good, but nothing special.
quote:
quote:
quote:

i have not.

but it was 60$ for a 96 so i figured why not

i can totally see this wine being outclassed at any thing you'd drink except water.

It's very light and easy going.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
2003 Opus One. Drink now, I don't see this improving with age.

Oops. I've been holding '01 and '03 thinking the pedigree would make these long-lived wines but I guess it's time to pull some corks.

Let me know if you'd like some help with that and I'll motor on down..... jalopy

Or you could motor up here! sunshades
quote:
quote:
i have not.

but it was 60$ for a 96 so i figured why not

i can totally see this wine being outclassed at any thing you'd drink except water.

It's very light and easy going.

That's exactly what I paid for the '93 at auction - including the premium.

hehh just you wait,

give me 5 more years and i too can refer to some wines with the "when i was younger" =)
quote:
quote:

Oops. I've been holding '01 and '03 thinking the pedigree would make these long-lived wines but I guess it's time to pull some corks.

i've had both in the last year and i would hold.... but you already know i like my clarets a bit older than most.
quote:
quote:
quote:

We had the 1990 at Festivus - excellent. I had the 1989 About 4 years ago, also excellent. As for 1993, I haven't had too much of any Burgundy from that Vintage that was good. I'd expect the 1996 Corton Grancey to be into it's drinking window.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
quote:

i've had both in the last year and i would hold.... but you already know i like my clarets a bit older than most.

I've been enjoying Cali Cabs from the 80s and 90s lately, I just don't see this particular one improving with age (maybe just my bottle). It was not on the downslope, still had nice fruit and the tannins had smoothed out. But the finish wasn't very long, and I didn't get many secondary notes out of this either. Again, could be just my bottle or palate.

I have a '96 as well, will try soon and report back.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
quote:

Let me know if you'd like some help with that and I'll motor on down..... jalopy

Or you could motor up here! sunshades

bman, I'd be happy to earmark an Opus to share with you. You will probably get here before I get there though...let me know.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
2013 Château Les Charmes-Godard Blanc - Coteaux de Bordeaux
2008 Stefania Crimson Clover Cab

Jc, how was the Crimson Clover - lots of years ahead or time to drink up?

Beautiful now - I see no reason to hold - good deal of sediment and cloudiness toward the end of the bottle.
Tonight with Slippery Pete we had

- 1996 Pol Roger Champagne Brut Rosé -- beautiful deep salmon colour with orange highlights, raspberry, bread dough, mineral, silky, long finish, really nice and probably now approaching the end of its best days

- 2012 Bouchard et Fils Beaune Premier Cru Clos de la Mousse -- cherry, berry, anise, but unfortunately a green stemmy element as well, medium-long finish with fine tannins and lots of fruite at the end, opened up quite a bit over a couple of hours, good though not great; I'll buy two more bottles to see where this goes over the next decade or so

- 2008 Dusky Goose Pinot Noir Rambouillet Vineyard -- a 'Wow!' wine; big nose of berries and currants; in the mouth Byng cherry, berries, hints of spicecake, almost creamy, rich, light to medium on the palate with an intense, remarkably long finish that features fruit and mineral, and fades very slowly; beyond outstanding, one of the best OR Pinot Noirs that I can recall having

- 2008 Passopisciaro Rosso Sicilia IGT -- plum, berries and cherry notes, good acidity and quite silky; S. Pete said it was like the love child of Barolo and red Burgundy, which is pretty much on point for this wine; very nice, very food friendly, from a less-common area, somewhat unusual but easy to like

- 1960 Sempé Armagnac Millésimé -- deep amber colour, good aromatics, caramel, raisin, mild honey notes, warm, rich, very long finish, excellent Armagnac and great way to finish off an evening
Yesterday with g-man, sarbuze, and wine friends at our monthly boozy blind Thursdays:
- NV Mumm Palette Cleanser (Formula 1 edition)
- 2009 Domino del Plata Nosotros (Malbec)
- 2007 Flaccianello (Sangiovese)
- 2004 Gianni Brunelli Brunello Riserva (Sangiovese)
- 2011 Myriad Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard (Cab Sauv)
- 2008 Duemani Suisassi (Syrah)
- 1999 Delas La Landonne (Syrah) *mag*
- 2000 Paolo Scavino Carobric Barolo (Nebbiolo)
- 2012 Opus One (Cab Sauv)
- 2011 Vineyard 7&8 Estate (Cab Sauv)
- 2011 Limerick Lane Block 1910 (Zin)
- 2002 Bryant Family (Cab Sauv)
- 1997 Romariz Vintage Port
- NV Kopi Luwak

I didn't try the Bryant, but I thought the Nosotros was very enjoyable, Opus to be disappointing.
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
With Chinese food tonight:

2003 Dom Perignon Rose
2012 Domaine Patrick Javillier Meursault Clos du Cromin
2012 Pierre Morey Bâtard-Montrachet
1983 Chateau Laville Haut Brion
1996 Chapoutier Ermitage De L'Oree (great CT notes, not my style at all...all sherry)
2006 Magnum François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre
1982 Chateau Lynch Bages (wotn)
1982 Chateau La Mission Haut Brion (just shy of wotn)
1993 Castello di Ama Vigna l'Apparita Toscana IGT
1964 Chateau Haut Brion (over the hill)

I think for my palate and in that moment, the lynch bages was as close as a wine can come to perfect for me.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
I am in Halifax drinking up all the time I can garnish with my new grandson. As good a distraction that you could ask for away from wine. I need to put away as much as I can from the 2015 vintage for him and his amazing parents to enjoy. And that my good friends, is as good as it gets!

Congrats, Dok and cherish every second. By most accounts, the 2015 vintage was a good one in lots of regions: Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhone, Italy, California, even South Africa. Your grandson might have a nice little stash to unpack on his 19th birthday. Smile

EDIT: then you beat me to the punch with your other post. Getting slow in my old age... Wink
At lunch with Mimik & bil, KSC02, Vinaigre and Uncle John

2002 Pol Roger, Champagne, Extra Cuvee de Reserve
2007 Mount Eden, Chardonnay, Estate
2012 Brewer Clifton, Chardonnay, Santa Rita
2012 Louis-Benjamin Dagueneau, Pouilly-Fume, Blanc Fume de Pouilly
2009 Clos Salomon, Givry, 1er Cru
2009 Klein Constantia, Vin de Constance

I need a nap. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
I am in Halifax drinking up all the time I can garnish with my new grandson. As good a distraction that you could ask for away from wine. I need to put away as much as I can from the 2015 vintage for him and his amazing parents to enjoy. And that my good friends, is as good as it gets!

Congratulations, Gramps!
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:

I need a nap. Smile

Nice lunch
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:

I need a nap. Smile

Only a bottle each?! You guys really are getting old......
1998 Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers. I know others have had mixed results with these but this bottle is just gorgeous. Cork was uber-tight and clean top to bottom. Dark red-orange colour. Shtanky on opening, blowing off about 15 minutes later to reveal that Burgundian mix of beetroot, forest floor, black cherry fruit, nice acidity and soft tannins on the finish.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.