What will March bring Confused Roll Eyes Smile
Should be a good start with a Montreal off-line this Saturday night.
Original Post
8:40am so no drinking yet. LOL

But will be trying some barrel samples later this a.m. getting ready for the Wine Road Barrel Tasting weekend. Nothing like a little 2011 Cab Franc before lunch ...
Smile
2006 Bodegas Catena Zapata Catena Alta Malbec. This is the last vintage I bought of the alta line because I have found the single vinyard malbecs(Nicasia,Adriana)are so much better.That being said the 2003 & 2004 alta malbecs are amazing. 2005 and 2006 are not quite up to the two previous vintages. I seem to enjoy the top Malbecs more than most west coast wines in the same price range.
... Clos des Goisses, what elseWink

Various delicious stuff over the last weeks:
2000 Chateau d'Agassac, Haut-Médoc
2005 Moulin-à-Vent, Domaine des Rosiers, my first
Beaujolaus that comes close to the legend that good Beaujolais tastes like real good Burgundy, absolutely recommended
2000 Meursault-Blagny, Matrot
2000 Puligny Referts 1er Cru, Jadot, recommended
2007 Pinot-Gris Domaine et Tradition, Mathis Bastian
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
1990 Philipponnat Clos des Goisse
1990 Lynch Bages

What??? You couldn't wait one more night for me!!!!! Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
2003 Celler Joan Simo Les Eres Vinyes Velles

How was it? There's some 2006 up here that I have been pondering buying.
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:

I first tasted this wine at the winery in 2006. I thought it was outstanding then, but it has really blossomed. When I pulled the cork, the aroma or dark fruit filled the room. This is much better than I thought it would be, and I was expecting excellence. I don't believe I've tasted the 2006, but the vintages in Priorat are pretty much all consistent and excellent. My advice would be to go for it.
quote:
quote:
quote:

I first tasted this wine at the winery in 2006. I thought it was outstanding then, but it has really blossomed. When I pulled the cork, the aroma or dark fruit filled the room. This is much better than I thought it would be, and I was expecting excellence. I don't believe I've tasted the 2006, but the vintages in Priorat are pretty much all consistent and excellent. My advice would be to go for it.

Bruce Hayes - go for it. Wink

1999 Clos Erasmus
2005 Mormoreto Marchesi Frescobaldi
Had theses lately:

2009 Frédéric Magnien Fixin
2009 Vincent Girardin Monthélie 1er cru Les Riottes
2008 Château de Fonbel Saint-Emilion Grand Cru
2008 Vietti Nebbiolo Perbacco Langhe

I prefered the Vietti and the Fonbel...

dzitt
2005 Osoyoos Larose Grand Vin. Better than I was expecting, but nowhere near worth the price
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
2007 Arnot-Roberts North Block Hudson Vineyard
I have been wanting to try something from Arnot. What do you think of them?
1985 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Charlie
2008 Huet Le Mont Demi Sec Vouvray
1982 Branaire Ducru

A wonderful evening with Longboarder.
Highlights from last night's brown bagger (uptown theme):

1999 F. Magnien Corton Charlemagne Cuvée Unique
2009 Bouchard Le Corton
1995 Ridge Monte Bello
1995 Schweiger Cabernet
2002 Cayuse Widowmaker
2001 Anakota Helena Dakota Vnyd Cab
Tonight I'm getting together with my wine group to drink some Calif/Wash Cabs and blends.

2004 Martinelli Martinelli Road Chardonnay
1996 Spring Mountain Estate Reserve
2001 Seven Hills Pentad
2002 BV Private Reserve
2003 Andrew Will Champoux
2004 Chester Kidder Red Wine
2005 Ramey Claret
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bruce Hayes - go for it. Wink

1999 Clos Erasmus
2005 Mormoreto Marchesi Frescobaldi

This unrelenting peer pressure is starting to wear me down. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:
2005 Osoyoos Larose Grand Vin. Better than I was expecting, but nowhere near worth the price

When I was in Vancouver last March, I bought four bottles of the 2007. Haven't cracked one yet.
quote:
1982 Branaire Ducru

Ditto W+A. Enjoyed the conversation more than you know.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
2007 Arnot-Roberts North Block Hudson Vineyard
I have been wanting to try something from Arnot. What do you think of them?

I was completely unaware of this producer until speaking with steve8 and he mentioned Arnot-Roberts, your mention of him in your Kramer thread, and that they recently arrived here in Montreal.

That all piqued my interest, so on the way home yesterday, I stopped in to pick one up and try.

At 14% just a touch hot on the nose when initially poured but this blows off over several minutes. An absolutely provocative nose. Gorgeous. Continued to expand over the next hour and then plateaued. Nice mouth feel. Mid length finish. At $55 (SAQ price) will I load up? No. But I will pick up a couple more. I agree that this is one of the more restrained California Syrahs and appreciate the style very much.
quote:

Is the '85 Charlie still showing well?

My last few bottles had begun to reflect better days prior so I tended to drink them up last year. Curious to hear how yours showed. Maybe it was the batch I had.
quote:
quote:

My last few bottles had begun to reflect better days prior so I tended to drink them up last year. Curious to hear how yours showed. Maybe it was the batch I had.

I will not speak for W+A but I thought the Charlie was excellent and definitely not past its peak. It really opened up as the night progressed and the acidity kept it so fresh for me. I actually thought this bottle tasted young.
quote:
1982 Branaire Ducru

Your winnings from last year? If so, I'm glad it showed well. Hell, I'm glad it showed well regardless. Cool

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:
quote:

I will not speak for W+A but I thought the Charlie was excellent and definitely not past its peak. It really opened up as the night progressed and the acidity kept it so fresh for me. I actually thought this bottle tasted young.

Cool
Brought to a nice restaurant near Orlando (Winter Garden) named Chef's Table.

2009 Pride Chard Vintners Select
2006 Realm Tempest
2006 Erna Schein Cemetery
NV Pierre Peters BdB and a lobster shared with a friend over lunch.

1998 Vilmart Grand Cellier Rubis shared with same friend over much conversation. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
Brought to a nice restaurant near Orlando (Winter Garden) named Chef's Table.

2009 Pride Chard Vintners Select
2006 Realm Tempest
2006 Erna Schein Cemetery

Beerman, how was the Cemetery? I love the label BTW.
Taco night (Chorizo and mushroom), so a good night to knock off a daily-drinker night -

2003 Elyse Winery Zinfandel Howell Mountain - Off or over-the-hill bottle - pruny, raisiny mess. Like a bad port. A shame, as my last of 6 and the previous 5 were quite tasty. So, offered to the Gods of the Drain, and on to

2006 Four Vines Zinfandel The Biker - much better.
2009 Huet le Haut-Lieu Moelleux
2003 Giscours (nice and fresh, couldn't tell it was '03 blind)
2009 Jasmin Cote-Rotie
Last night at a blind tasting

2006 Concha y Toro, Don Melchor
2007 Coho, Headwaters
2003 Osoyoos Larose
2005 De Toren, Fusion V (group WOTN)
1998 Chateau Pontet-Canet
2004 Il Borro
1998 Tenuta Dell'Ornellaia, Ornellaia
2003 Chateau Duhart-Milon
2004 Nicolas Catena Zapata

The 98 Ornellaia was corked. I didn't write down which wines were the groups #2 and 3 wines of the night, but I think the Coho was #2.

There was also a 2003 Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey, Sauternes, which I found disappointing. Not enough acidity for my taste. And the colour was pretty dark, more so than the half bottle I just looked at in my cellar.
quote:
quote:
1982 Branaire Ducru

Ditto W+A. Enjoyed the conversation more than you know.

Indeed.
quote:
quote:
quote:

KSC02, the first pour had me a little worried, but the wine did end up showing well. Based on this bottle, I agree no need to rush.

PurpleHaze, I still have your gift in my cellar. I'm planning on enjoying with D, and we shall speak of you. Cool

...and speaking of Champagne, Big Grin I had the '98 Vilmart Rubis yesterday, and it was special!
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Last night at a blind tasting (theme: Bordeaux Blend)

2006 Concha y Toro, Don Melchor (group #3 WOTN I think) (KSC's WOTN)
2007 Coho, Headwaters (group #2 WOTN)(KSC #2 WOTN)
2005 De Toren, Fusion V (group WOTN)(KSC #3 WOTN)

A fun evening and great to see everyone. Very disappointing regarding the '98 Ornellaia.

It was fun hearing some people pegging the Osoyoos Larose to be "an elegant Left Bank Bordeaux") Razz

I was quite confident that the '98 Pontet-Canet was a '95 Sociando-Mallet (the horror Big Grin )

The Coho Headwaters showed beautifully. Man, I wish we could get that wine into QC.

The De Toren was totally off my radar. It isn't any more...

Yep, nothing more humbling than a blind tasting.
A lot of fun. It's been quite a while since we last did one of these.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if the group #3 was the DM or the Catena Zapata. The latter was my #3.

Agree about the Coho. Based on the 2006's and this 2007, I will pick up more anytime I see it on my travels.

I didn't use the word elegant to describe the Osoyoos Larose, but I did peg it for left bank Bordeaux. This tasting taught me O-L does need time.
Bigfoot

The Cemetery was drinking very nicely. The tannins were in balance with the fruit. It is definitely bold. Everyone at the table liked it better than the Tempest. You can either open yours or hold it a while longer.
quote:
Thanks, I wasn't sure if the group #3 was the DM or the Catena Zapata. The latter was my #3.

Agree about the Coho. Based on the 2006's and this 2007, I will pick up more anytime I see it on my travels.

I didn't use the word elegant to describe the Osoyoos Larose, but I did peg it for left bank Bordeaux. This tasting taught me O-L does need time.

I pegged the Osoyoo Larose for a HB or MHB. The shock on my face when I the wrapper came off was classic. I also thought it was a left bank bordeaux. But in my defence, it tasted better in the first half of the night than the latter part.
quote:

Thoughts on what sort of age it requires?
quote:
quote:
The 98 Ornellaia was corked.

How could you tell?

I was clearly severely flawed (textbook TCA smell).
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
But in my defence, it tasted better in the first half of the night than the latter part.

How is that a defense ? Eek

Are you saying that you were completely uninfluenced by the label? Razz Spit
quote:
quote:

Thoughts on what sort of age it requires?

Bruce - This was my first (and only) bottle of O-L. This bottle was an '03 and, IMHO, was indeed ready to go. I did not splash decant prior to the tasting.
quote:
quote:
quote:

How could you tell?

I was clearly severely flawed (textbook TCA smell).

I have been on a poor run recently when it comes to TCA. Mad

I first tasted the wine at Ornellaia prior to release, and it is such a wonderful Cabernet/Merlot/Franc blend. I hope you get to drink this wine, and soon.
quote:
I didn't use the word elegant to describe the Osoyoos Larose, but I did peg it for left bank Bordeaux.

Of course I'm not referring to you, steve8.
It was our friend at the end of the table insisting it was LMHB Wink Razz
I thought the Ornellaia was 1990 but to find out it was the great 1998 Red Face It should have been wotn. 2005 De Toren, Fusion V was a surprise. The 2006 Don Melchor and the 2003 Chateau Duhart-Milon showed well. Many surprises. Great food. Wonderful people. Too much wine. I'm going to drink alot of water now Spit When are we doing this again?
Last edited by unclejohn
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:
I thought the Ornellaia was 1990 but to find out it was the great 1998 Red Face It should have been wotn. 2005 De Toren, Fusion V was a surprise. The 2006 Don Melchor and the 2003 Chateau Duhart-Milon showed well. Many surprises. Great food. Wonderful people. To much wine. I'm going to drink alot of water now Spit When are we doing this again?

Too much wine? Confused

I'm confused. Razz
quote:
quote:
I thought the Ornellaia was 1990 but to find out it was the great 1998 Red Face It should have been wotn. 2005 De Toren, Fusion V was a surprise. The 2006 Don Melchor and the 2003 Chateau Duhart-Milon showed well. Many surprises. Great food. Wonderful people. To much wine. I'm going to drink alot of water now Spit When are we doing this again?

Too much wine? Confused

I'm confused. Razz

OK maybe not too much wine but surely more than I would consume on the average night. Alas this was not the average night. Wink
quote:
quote:

How could you tell?

Big Grin I think I am the only one to have understood this.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Too much wine? Confused

I'm confused. Razz

OK maybe not too much wine but surely more than I would consume on the average night. Alas this was not the average night. Wink

Big Grin...I have enjoyed a lot of wine with a number of the Montreal group. Great group in a great city. ( Summer)
Last night:
2010 St. Cosme CdR Blanc
2009 Sean Minor 4 Bears Pinot Noir
2005 Pax Syrah Obsidian - incredible. 2nd time I've had this wine in the last 4 months or so, and awesome both times.
2001 Chateau Lannesan
NV Mumm Napa Brut Rose
quote:
quote:

I hope you get to drink this wine, and soon.

w+a - There's a few bottles between us here. No fear of that.
I have one in my 'ready for the right moment' rack.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
quote:

How could you tell?

Big Grin I think I am the only one to have understood this.

No Charlie, you're the only one who didn't see the hook at the end of that line. Razz
quote:

K-

This surprises me a bit, as I don't see you consume many South American wines.

Are you typcially a fan of this wine or did it simply show very well?
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:

K-

This surprises me a bit, as I don't see you consume many South American wines.

Are you typcially a fan of this wine or did it simply show very well?

I'm a fan of Don Melchor, generally. I haven't purchased teh past few vintages as I tend to feel their price point has reached a bit beyond what I'm willing to pay for that wine (here anyway).

Saying that, the bottle showed well. Especially since I tend to think of DMs as those I like to cellar for some time. This showed very well for its' young age.
The Don Melchor is drinking like a wine from Bolgheri. Ripe,spicy with beautiful tannins. It reminds me of the Tua Rita Guisto di Notri. But yes you got it spot on Steve Smile
Over the last few days:

2009 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Silver Eagle Vineyard
2006 Kongsgaard Chardonnay
2005 Radio-Coteau Syrah Cherry Camp
2002 Domaine Nudant Ladoix 'Les Buis' - Lots of time left for this wine. Very good PN value.
quote:
And you thought that this bottle was Italian. Razz I can be smug because I nailed this one. Banana

I don't remember saying that Devilish

True enough. I thought it to be so. I was quite surprised, to say the least Wink
2009 Ch. Faizeau VV

Not a thinking man's wine, but a real crowd pleaser with people who don't like to geek out.
quote:
The Don Melchor is drinking like a wine from Bolgheri. Ripe,spicy with beautiful tannins. It reminds me of the Tua Rita Guisto di Notri. But yes you got it spot on Steve Smile

I had no idea. Are you speaking of this wine in general or specifically the 2006 vintage? TIA
Last edited by mangiare
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
1999 Vieux Certan Chateau- cherries, vanilla and nice tannins. Drink now or over the next 5 years.

Nice.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:

I had not idea. Are you speaking of this wine in general or specifically the 2006 vintage? TIA

I refer to the 2006 vintage as being Bolgheri like. It is quite fruit forward,somewhat modern with a bit of classic european backbone. It is drinking well now with a 2 hour decant or slow O for 8 hours. There are still quite a few bottles left in QC.
Except for that streak of eucalyptus running through it. That was the tell-tale sign for me. It was less pronounced than in some previous vintages, but still there.
quote:

Sorry to hear that. Man, it seems like you're on a bad run...

Bang
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
quote:

Sorry to hear that. Man, it seems like you're on a bad run...

Bang

At least it wasn't my bottle this time.
Over the weekend
2009 Seghesio 1942 Block Grenache
2009 Unti Grenache
2009 Unti Greenhouse Zinfandel
2009 Siduri Arbre Vert Willamette Valley Pinot

2009 Segeshio Sangiovese
2007 Chilean Cab Franc(cant recall producer)
quote:
quote:
The Don Melchor is drinking like a wine from Bolgheri.

Are you serious?

I was waiting for you to chime in on this comment.
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
quote:
1992 Dominus
1995 Dominus

LB, how were these?

TIA

The '92 is still a big wine that took a couple of hours to really open up. Once it did, it was excellent. I have really enjoyed the '95 vintage as a whole from Napa. This one did nothing to change my mind. More ready initially than the '92.
quote:
quote:

Are you serious?

It could have been Confused I was backing up someone who guessed it was Possibly Italian. You might know the person(hint) Wink
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
2004 Concha Y Toro Don Melchor

Timely choice. Wink How was the 04 drinking?
quote:
quote:

Are you serious?

It could've been worse. He could've said a wine from the Bolgheri was drinking like a wine from Chile. LOL
Note to self: next time I get together with the Dallas group, ask if we can do a blind tasting. Smile

Blind tastings can be very humbling. Our group emphatically chose a South African wine as the WOTN, and my own notes picked it out as a left bank Bordeaux.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
quote:

Are you serious?

It could've been worse. He could've said a wine from the Bolgheri was drinking like a wine from Chile. LOL

It was a serious question. I gave up on wine from Chile ( for the most part) due to the hint of green & under ripeness I always smelled and tasted.

I would not have an issue trying their wines again. Wink
quote:

Our group emphatically chose a South African wine as the WOTN, and my own notes picked it out as a left bank Bordeaux.

I'm not shocked the South African wine stood out in this type ( and flawed in my opinion) of blind tasting. Smile
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you serious?

It was a serious question. I gave up on wine from Chile ( for the most part) due to the hint of green & under ripeness I always smelled and tasted.

Do you enjoy Clos Apalta?

How about Sociando Mallet, albeit not from Chile, but will have a slight green streak through it on occasion, ie: 2001 most recently for me, however I enjoyed it.
I personally have always disliked the Don Melchor for that reason and the overwhelming Eucalyptus notes

I generally prefer Syrah based wines like the Montes Folle from Chile than cab-based wines.
2005 Watermark - lots of fruit forward taste, opened up after about an hour in the bottle and then hit the home stretch as a very enjoyable bottle of wine.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
I personally have always disliked the Don Melchor for that reason and the overwhelming Eucalyptus notes
Same here. I have enjoyed the Clas Apalta though as I don't get that same eucalyptus streak in the wine.
FWIW, the eucalyptus in the 2006 is definitely more subdued than most previous vintages. Some in our group couldn't even taste it.

I believe I read somewhere that Concha y Toro was making an effort to minimize the eucalyptus in recent vintages. Not sure how you do that if there are trees near the vineyard? Cut 'em down I guess.

Disclaimer: I personally enjoy the eucalyptus in the DM and have never found it to be too overbearing. It has definitely varied from vintage to vintage though.
quote:
I personally enjoy the eucalyptus in the DM and have never found it to be too overbearing. It has definitely varied from vintage to vintage though.

+1 - although I would never drink it without some "grilled dead cow." (all due respect to WIML)
quote:
I personally enjoy the eucalyptus in the DM and have never found it to be too overbearing.

+1

I was one who didn't even catch the eucalyptus until you pointed it out. It's a positive, to me.
quote:

Disclaimer: I personally enjoy the eucalyptus in the DM and have never found it to be too overbearing. It has definitely varied from vintage to vintage though.

Do you enjoy Heitz Martha's Vineyard Cabernet?
1988 Salon BdB Le Mesnil
2002 Henri Boillot Clos de Vougeot
1986 Guigal La Landonne

The table next to us shared a sip of their 1983 Gruaud Larose.

Not a bad Tuesday night.
quote:
quote:
I personally enjoy the eucalyptus in the DM and have never found it to be too overbearing.

+1

I was one who didn't even catch the eucalyptus until you pointed it out. It's a positive, to me.
+2
I enjoy it
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you serious?

Do you enjoy Clos Apalta?

How about Sociando Mallet , albeit not from Chile, but will have a slight green streak through it on occasion, ie: 2001 most recently for me, however I enjoyed it.

I do enjoy Clos Apalta. I find it to be a riper more fruit forward wine than Don Melchor. I think its the Carmenere. I agree with Steve8 "Concha y Toro was making an effort to minimize the eucalyptus in recent vintages." I tried the 1995 and 1997 in the last year and they both had a definite eucalyptus/green funky thing going on. I prefer the more recent vintages 2004-5-6.I think 2005 is more structured and needs time. 2004 and 2006 anre drinking well now but should be better in a few years. I have no experience with Sociando Mallet.
Uncle John, I still have one bottle of the 2001 left, which was also an excellent wine. I'll be sure to open it with you in the near future.
2009 Anthill Farms Pinot Noir Anderson Valley - Nice wine. Young, but drinking well with some air. Nice balance of strawberry fruit, earthiness, acid and tannin. Very light in color and body, my wife said that next to some of the very new world pinots this could almost be confused with a rose. Nice pair with grilled pork tenderloin.
quote:
quote:

Do you enjoy Heitz Martha's Vineyard Cabernet?

Only ever tasted it once. The 2000 vintage, which I'm sure is not representative of the wine in a good vintage, past or present.
quote:
Very light in color and body, my wife said that next to some of the very new world pinots this could almost be confused with a rose.

Eek Confusing a pinot noir with a rose is not going to make me rush out and buy this wine. Spit
quote:
Uncle John, I still have one bottle of the 2001 left, which was also an excellent wine. I'll be sure to open it with you in the near future.

I think our stance on DM is pretty well-documented. We've got almost a case of the 2001 left, and it will provide enjoyment for many years to come as it's just entering its prime drinking window IMO.

Had the 2009 Verget Chablis the other night, which was very nice for the $10 we paid.
quote:
quote:
Very light in color and body, my wife said that next to some of the very new world pinots this could almost be confused with a rose.

Eek Confusing a pinot noir with a rose is not going to make me rush out and buy this wine. Spit
Sorry, that didn’t come out right. She meant that for people who like the big ripe Kosta Brown style, this is so far from that it would seem like a rose to that crowd. To us it had the body and structure we like in pinot both from CA and Burg. Really nice wine and not a rose. Wink
quote:
quote:
2009 Bibi Graetz Grilli Del Testamatta Toscana IGT

How is it K Smile

I enjoyed it. More than D, who felt 'meh' about it.
For $37 it was nice but there's a lot of competition at that price point. Will try again my other bottle soon, but unclear with the first bottle If I'd seek more out for purchase.

Ready to drink now, surely. No issue there.
2007 Marimar Estate La Masía Don Miguel Vineyard Chardonnay

Good value at $20 at the LCBO (lower than the W-S low). Lemon, butter, hazelnut, and a touch of caramel. Restrained palate, that was a bit sour and short, but lots of acidity. Solid traditionally styled 90 pointer.
quote:
1982 CHÂTEAU BEAU-SÉJOUR BÉCOT - From a 375ml and dead as a door nail. Spit

Interesting, Binny's here in the suburbs of Chicago has 20+ of these(375s) on the shelf for $50 a pop. I've always thought of grabbing one just to try an 82 Bordeaux, but as they've been sitting room temp for at least a year now, I'll pass.

Guess I'll wait for my first 82.
2010 Chateau D'Aqueria Tavel Rose
2010 Curran Grenache Blanc
2010 Lagar de Cervera Albarino
2000 Robert Craig Affinity
Last edited by xhoser
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
2009 Chronic Cellars Sofa King Bueno.

Bill - what did you think of this One? A friend of mine from Paso Roblems really likes it and I like the name of course! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
2009 Chronic Cellars Sofa King Bueno.

Bill - what did you think of this One? A friend of mine from Paso Roblems really likes it and I like the name of course! Big Grin

I don't drink as many fruit bombs as I used to, but I actually kind of like this one. Really big and fruit forward; I think it's just shy of being "jammy". Decent pepper component from the Syrah. My other half picked this up because of the Day of the Dead themed label. We probably wouldn't buy again but it's actually a little nicer than we expected. We do have one bottle of another Chronic wine which I believe is 90/10 Zin/Syrah. This one has a lot of different grapes.
2009 Casa Emma Chianti Classico - Young but very well made and classically styled. Will improve over the next few years. Im going to be picking a few more up.
quote:
Originally posted by chuq_2001:
quote:
1982 CHÂTEAU BEAU-SÉJOUR BÉCOT - From a 375ml and dead as a door nail. Spit

Interesting, Binny's here in the suburbs of Chicago has 20+ of these(375s) on the shelf for $50 a pop. I've always thought of grabbing one just to try an 82 Bordeaux, but as they've been sitting room temp for at least a year now, I'll pass.

Guess I'll wait for my first 82.

I've seen these as well and was tempted, but after reading reviews from several locals I'm glad I didn't bite.
quote:
1989 Beauastel CdP Rouge

Have one of these on deck for my 40th in a couple weeks. One of my favorites.

How did it show?
2004 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova
2008 Château Haut-Bergey
1990 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
quote:
1989 Beauastel CdP Rouge

How did it show?

It's a spectatcular wine that, as of last year, seemed to be still improving to me. It'll need some time in the decanter.
quote:
Originally posted by aml:
2004 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova
2008 Château Haut-Bergey
1990 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert

What did you think of the BdM and the haut bergey?
The BdM was opened by Dave Canada and he thought it was not a good bottle. I've experienced this wine twice; the first time undrinkable, and the second a very average wine. From what I understand, I have yet to see how a sound bottle performs. This bottle had some decent qualities, but was lacking some depth and wasn't really coming together.

The Haut-Bergey had massive amounts of pyrazine that were difficult to get past. Huge green pepper and celery seed notes, suggesting that the grapes were not fully ripened when picked. If you like a really green wine, than this may be for you. Beyond the greenness, it was a respectable wine with decent concentration, fruit, good tannic structure and acidity, with a moderate length finish.

I'll post some detailed notes when I get a chance.
Thanks!

I'm surprised by the haut bergey and wonder if it was a sound bottle. I had one 4-6 months ago and did not get the green note. In fact, it was fairly fruit forward -almost new world in its profile

Last night 2009 coudelet de beaucastel
Thirsty man, yes, I wonder about the Haut-Bergey as well, because the notes on cellartracker do not seem to align with what we experienced.
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2008 Anthill Farms Pinot Noir Peters Vineyard
What did you think Shaferguy?
quote:
1989 Beauastel CdP Rouge

Cool

AZCat and I will be bringing some strong competition.
quote:

Thats what I like to hear. Haven't decided on final list but I'm sure there will be some pretty good wine I'll be popping. Big Grin
It has been a very nice wine week in four different cities. The best were...

1988 Salon Le Mesnil
NV Jean Milan Carte Blanche
2002 Henri Boillot Clos de Vougeot
1986 Guigal La Landonne
1985 Guigal La Landonne
2004 Clos Erasmus
2002 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet Les Ruchottes
1990 Sassicaia
1999 Chapoutier Ermitage l'Oree Blanc
For lunch today: Kurg Grand Cuvee

Waiting on deck for dinner tonight, 1996 Pierre Peters BdB Les Chetillons Cuvee Speciale
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:

Waiting on deck for dinner tonight, 1996 Pierre Peters BdB Les Chetillons Cuvee Speciale

Cool
quote:
with Mrs. Glennk while Mr. Glennk slaves away at work!!!!
quote:
quote:
with Mrs. Glennk while Mr. Glennk slaves away at work!!!!

I fail to see an issue here.
quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot003:
2006 Argyle Spirithouse Reserve Chardonnay
Bf3...we need to share wine again, and soon.

Agreed! Just say when. Do you still have my e-mail address?
quote:
quote:

Thats what I like to hear. Haven't decided on final list but I'm sure there will be some pretty good wine I'll be popping. Big Grin

If you can't find me, or the '89 Beau, or the wines that Gig and I are bringing...don't bother looking for me.

I'm already dreading the morning after...

Cool
2005 La vieille Ferme, Cotes du Ventoux, Perrin
2008 Rosso di Montepulciano, Dei, perfect companion to "pasta chuta"
1999 St.Joseph "Sainte Epine", Delas
2001 Niedermenninger Herrenberg Spätlese, Markus Molitor