Tonight with Eric and Lady White, Lafon Rochet, Miss Amy:

- 1990 André Beaufort Champagne Elaboré par Saint Jean-Baptiste Grand Cru Ambonnnay -- what it lacked in bubbles it more than made up for in character and flavour; reminded us a bit of dry apple cider, but with a lot more complexity, some mineral, orange peel, almond flavours as well, very long finish, deep gold colour, call it around 93-94 pts

- NV Cedric Bouchard Champagne Brut Blanc de Noirs Roses de Jeanne -- needed some time to open up, very silky, light cherry flavour, hints of mandarin orange, medium finish, around 92-93 pts

- NV Lenoble Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru Chouilly Les Aventures -- really vigorous mousse, expands in the mouth; berry and mineral flavours, touch of ginger, medium finish, 91 its, might need time to settle down

- 2002 Philipponnat Champagne Brut Grand Cru Cuvée 1522 -- just mildly disappointing but still a nice wine, some pear and white chocolate flavours, bit clipped in the finish, maybe 88-89 pts

- 1958 Giacomo Borgogno Barolo Riserva Antichi Vigneti Propri -- only the lightness of the colour would give any indication of this wine's age; light ruby, translucent; rich cherry nose, floral component as well, continued on the palate; hard to believe this wine was more than half a century old, resembled a youngish Pinot Noir more than anything else, showed some anise/light tar flavours later, dried plums, a bit of tobacco as well, good acidity, medium to long finish, around 94-95 pts, a bottle with exceptional provenance and still some future

- 2006 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing -- big floral nose, loaded with ripe cherry, plum, and a bit of bitter cherry pit flavour, long finish, terrific silky texture, long finish, about 92 pts

- 1990 Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes -- big nose of cotton candy, pear, with a touch of earthiness; palate is not as dense as nose suggests, with lots of pear, honey, spice cake, white chocolate, caramel flavours that expand on the remarkably long finish, refreshing acidity, complex and youthful, over 95 pts, a wine that lives up to expectations; 3rd time I've had it, and every time has been memorable
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
2002 Philipponnat Champagne Brut Grand Cru Cuvée 1522 -- just mildly disappointing but still a nice wine, some pear and white chocolate flavours, bit clipped in the finish, maybe 88-89 pts

Must have been a great evening! I loved this wine when we had it.
quote:
Tonight with Eric and Lady White, Lafon Rochet, Miss Amy:

- 1990 André Beaufort Champagne Elaboré par Saint Jean-Baptiste Grand Cru Ambonnnay -- what it lacked in bubbles it more than made up for in character and flavour; reminded us a bit of dry apple cider, but with a lot more complexity, some mineral, orange peel, almond flavours as well, very long finish, deep gold colour, call it around 93-94 pts

- NV Cedric Bouchard Champagne Brut Blanc de Noirs Roses de Jeanne -- needed some time to open up, very silky, light cherry flavour, hints of mandarin orange, medium finish, around 92-93 pts

- NV Lenoble Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru Chouilly Les Aventures -- really vigorous mousse, expands in the mouth; berry and mineral flavours, touch of ginger, medium finish, 91 its, might need time to settle down

- 2002 Philipponnat Champagne Brut Grand Cru Cuvée 1522 -- just mildly disappointing but still a nice wine, some pear and white chocolate flavours, bit clipped in the finish, maybe 88-89 pts

- 1958 Giacomo Borgogno Barolo Riserva Antichi Vigneti Propri -- only the lightness of the colour would give any indication of this wine's age; light ruby, translucent; rich cherry nose, floral component as well, continued on the palate; hard to believe this wine was more than half a century old, resembled a youngish Pinot Noir more than anything else, showed some anise/light tar flavours later, dried plums, a bit of tobacco as well, good acidity, medium to long finish, around 94-95 pts, a bottle with exceptional provenance and still some future

- 2006 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing -- big floral nose, loaded with ripe cherry, plum, and a bit of bitter cherry pit flavour, long finish, terrific silky texture, long finish, about 92 pts

- 1990 Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes -- big nose of cotton candy, pear, with a touch of earthiness; palate is not as dense as nose suggests, with lots of pear, honey, spice cake, white chocolate, caramel flavours that expand on the remarkably long finish, refreshing acidity, complex and youthful, over 95 pts, a wine that lives up to expectations; 3rd time I've had it, and every time has been memorable

A grand night, indeed.
Before everyone's pipes in a says that this was "vinfanticide"' just let me say that this wine is a real show stopper, even in it's youth. I have zero regrets for sharing this with friends. 2008 Sette Ponte Oreno. Wowsa! A true classic. Now, let the bashing begin.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Before everyone's pipes in a says that this was "vinfanticide"' just let me say that this wine is a real show stopper, even in it's youth. I have zero regrets for sharing this with friends. 2008 Sette Pontiac Oreno. Wowsa! A true classic. Now, let the bashing begin.

Big Grin

We had a 2008 (?) Ornellaia this week at an off-line that was also special. Too young for sure, but beautiful.

WIML might recall the year, but I think I heard 2008 before it hit the decanter.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Before everyone's pipes in a says that this was "vinfanticide"' just let me say that this wine is a real show stopper, even in it's youth. I have zero regrets for sharing this with friends. 2008 Sette Pontiac Oreno. Wowsa! A true classic. Now, let the bashing begin.

No bashing from me. As the proud owner of three of the 2008s in my cellar, I am grateful for your taking one for the team.
Brought to Sidecar on College: 2005 Château de la Maltroye Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St. Jean

As we were eating we saw people streaming in an unmarked side door next to the restaurant but had no idea where they were going. When we asked our server, we learned there was a private cocktail club upstairs called The Toronto Temperance Club. After dinner, we were invited for a look, and ended up doing our best to work through the incredibly creative cocktail menu. After sampling an Angel's Share, Corpse Reviver #2, Ritz cocktail, St. Germain Elderflower cocktail and one the barman invented on the spot that we christened the Bloody Sunday (Black Bush, Compari, peach bitters and something I can't remember), I had a new found respect for the once-lost art of the cocktail. Highly civilized and definitely worth the trip.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
2002 Philipponnat Champagne Brut Grand Cru Cuvée 1522 -- just mildly disappointing but still a nice wine, some pear and white chocolate flavours, bit clipped in the finish, maybe 88-89 pts

Right now, I can see why you loved it. This was the only wine last night that wasn't finished-- there's about half a bottle left, and it has opened up quite a bit. I underestimated it last night, maybe in comparison to other wines that were more forward. It is outstanding; the flavours are deeper and the finish longer.

I'm almost sad to say that it is now making a spectacular mimosa. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Man, does that sound like a great end to a great night! Enjoy......

Just had to get a jump start on that 1990 GL, huh?? Wink Love to hear how these 1990s show.

PH

My pallet isnt as refined as all of you boys....I need to cheat a bit Razz
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Man, does that sound like a great end to a great night! Enjoy......

Just had to get a jump start on that 1990 GL, huh?? Wink Love to hear how these 1990s show.

PH

My pallet isnt as refined as all of you boys....I need to cheat a bit Razz

Does it need more sanding, layers of paint, or is it a general construction issue?

Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:
2007 Tenuta di Ghizzano Veneroso Toscana IGT

Were you able to give it some air this time? How did it show?

Showed brilliantly. We drank this over three hours and and it was definitely better toward the end. Very glad to have some in reserve - thanks for the tip!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:

Right now, I can see why you loved it. This was the only wine last night that wasn't finished-- there's about half a bottle left, and it has opened up quite a bit. I underestimated it last night, maybe in comparison to other wines that were more forward. It is outstanding; the flavours are deeper and the finish longer.

I'm almost sad to say that it is now making a spectacular mimosa. Smile

TBird would be so proud of you!
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Nice to see the Eaglepoint Ranch showed well also. I've been very impressed by Copain's wines. I must stop by Signature today.
Quantities are now too low to wait for a sale. Wink

Whoa, you're right, I just checked the inventory. The numbers dropped pretty quickly since last week. Uncle John?? Wink

BTW, I told you guys about these when they were released in October. <shrug>
The official lineup from my 40th birthday party last night. Many thanks to AzCat and Gigabit for bringing a few of the wines.

1998 Krug Brut
2006 Marcassin Pinot Marcassin Vineyard
2009 Peter Michael "Ma Danseuse" Pinot
2007 Kosta Browne RRPinot
2005 MacPhail Pratt Vineyard Pinot
2000 Clos Apalta
2001 Clos Apalta
1998 Beaucastel
2006 Cayuse Cailloux Syrah
2002 Janasse Chateauneuf Du Pape
2010 Bedrock Sonoma Coast Syrah
1999 Banfi Poggio All Oro BdM
2008 Sine Qua Non The Line
2003 Don Melchor
2004 Caymus SS
2007 Maybach Materium
1982 Pichon-Longueville
1992 Dominus
1992 Diamind Creek Gravelley Meadow Lake Blend
2000 Clos du Marquis
2000 Baumard Quarts de Chaume
Had an impressive tasting at the Copain Winery Friday, wish I could remember more...let's see if I can put it together

2010 Copain Chardonnay Tous Ensemble
2009 Copain Pinot Noir Les Voisins
2009 Copain Pinot Noir Wentzel Vineyard
2009 Copain Pinot Noir "En Bas" Kiser
2009 Copain Syrah Les Voisins
2007 Copain Syrah Thompson Vineyard

I'm very sure I'm missing a few

After Copain we went to Healdsburg and stopped in at Seghesio. When they found out I worked in the industry the bottles kept coming, no point in trying to remember what they poured. Nice stuff, but a lot of it was so similar to everything else. Highlights were the Petite Sirah and their fortified dessert wine.

With dinner at SPQR last night
1993 Staglin Cabernet, absolutely killer wine. WOTY so far.

Add Reply

Likes (0)