quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:
The Don Melchor is drinking like a wine from Bolgheri.

Are you serious?

It could've been worse. He could've said a wine from the Bolgheri was drinking like a wine from Chile. LOL

It was a serious question. I gave up on wine from Chile ( for the most part) due to the hint of green & under ripeness I always smelled and tasted.

I would not have an issue trying their wines again. Wink

Do you enjoy Clos Apalta?

How about Sociando Mallet, albeit not from Chile, but will have a slight green streak through it on occasion, ie: 2001 most recently for me, however I enjoyed it.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
I personally have always disliked the Don Melchor for that reason and the overwhelming Eucalyptus notes
Same here. I have enjoyed the Clas Apalta though as I don't get that same eucalyptus streak in the wine.
FWIW, the eucalyptus in the 2006 is definitely more subdued than most previous vintages. Some in our group couldn't even taste it.

I believe I read somewhere that Concha y Toro was making an effort to minimize the eucalyptus in recent vintages. Not sure how you do that if there are trees near the vineyard? Cut 'em down I guess.

Disclaimer: I personally enjoy the eucalyptus in the DM and have never found it to be too overbearing. It has definitely varied from vintage to vintage though.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
I personally enjoy the eucalyptus in the DM and have never found it to be too overbearing. It has definitely varied from vintage to vintage though.

+1 - although I would never drink it without some "grilled dead cow." (all due respect to WIML)
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
I personally enjoy the eucalyptus in the DM and have never found it to be too overbearing.

+1

I was one who didn't even catch the eucalyptus until you pointed it out. It's a positive, to me.
+2
I enjoy it
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
quote:
The Don Melchor is drinking like a wine from Bolgheri.

Are you serious?

It could've been worse. He could've said a wine from the Bolgheri was drinking like a wine from Chile. LOL

It was a serious question. I gave up on wine from Chile ( for the most part) due to the hint of green & under ripeness I always smelled and tasted.

I would not have an issue trying their wines again. Wink

Do you enjoy Clos Apalta?

How about Sociando Mallet , albeit not from Chile, but will have a slight green streak through it on occasion, ie: 2001 most recently for me, however I enjoyed it.

I do enjoy Clos Apalta. I find it to be a riper more fruit forward wine than Don Melchor. I think its the Carmenere. I agree with Steve8 "Concha y Toro was making an effort to minimize the eucalyptus in recent vintages." I tried the 1995 and 1997 in the last year and they both had a definite eucalyptus/green funky thing going on. I prefer the more recent vintages 2004-5-6.I think 2005 is more structured and needs time. 2004 and 2006 anre drinking well now but should be better in a few years. I have no experience with Sociando Mallet.
2009 Anthill Farms Pinot Noir Anderson Valley - Nice wine. Young, but drinking well with some air. Nice balance of strawberry fruit, earthiness, acid and tannin. Very light in color and body, my wife said that next to some of the very new world pinots this could almost be confused with a rose. Nice pair with grilled pork tenderloin.
quote:
quote:

Disclaimer: I personally enjoy the eucalyptus in the DM and have never found it to be too overbearing. It has definitely varied from vintage to vintage though.

Do you enjoy Heitz Martha's Vineyard Cabernet?

Only ever tasted it once. The 2000 vintage, which I'm sure is not representative of the wine in a good vintage, past or present.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Very light in color and body, my wife said that next to some of the very new world pinots this could almost be confused with a rose.

Eek Confusing a pinot noir with a rose is not going to make me rush out and buy this wine. Spit
quote:
Uncle John, I still have one bottle of the 2001 left, which was also an excellent wine. I'll be sure to open it with you in the near future.

I think our stance on DM is pretty well-documented. We've got almost a case of the 2001 left, and it will provide enjoyment for many years to come as it's just entering its prime drinking window IMO.

Had the 2009 Verget Chablis the other night, which was very nice for the $10 we paid.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Very light in color and body, my wife said that next to some of the very new world pinots this could almost be confused with a rose.

Eek Confusing a pinot noir with a rose is not going to make me rush out and buy this wine. Spit
Sorry, that didn’t come out right. She meant that for people who like the big ripe Kosta Brown style, this is so far from that it would seem like a rose to that crowd. To us it had the body and structure we like in pinot both from CA and Burg. Really nice wine and not a rose. Wink
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
2009 Bibi Graetz Grilli Del Testamatta Toscana IGT

How is it K Smile

I enjoyed it. More than D, who felt 'meh' about it.
For $37 it was nice but there's a lot of competition at that price point. Will try again my other bottle soon, but unclear with the first bottle If I'd seek more out for purchase.

Ready to drink now, surely. No issue there.
2007 Marimar Estate La Masía Don Miguel Vineyard Chardonnay

Good value at $20 at the LCBO (lower than the W-S low). Lemon, butter, hazelnut, and a touch of caramel. Restrained palate, that was a bit sour and short, but lots of acidity. Solid traditionally styled 90 pointer.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
1982 CHÂTEAU BEAU-SÉJOUR BÉCOT - From a 375ml and dead as a door nail. Spit

Interesting, Binny's here in the suburbs of Chicago has 20+ of these(375s) on the shelf for $50 a pop. I've always thought of grabbing one just to try an 82 Bordeaux, but as they've been sitting room temp for at least a year now, I'll pass.

Guess I'll wait for my first 82.

Add Reply

Likes (0)