quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
2006 Concha y Toro, Don Melchor

K-

This surprises me a bit, as I don't see you consume many South American wines.

Are you typcially a fan of this wine or did it simply show very well?

I'm a fan of Don Melchor, generally. I haven't purchased teh past few vintages as I tend to feel their price point has reached a bit beyond what I'm willing to pay for that wine (here anyway).

Saying that, the bottle showed well. Especially since I tend to think of DMs as those I like to cellar for some time. This showed very well for its' young age.
The Don Melchor is drinking like a wine from Bolgheri. Ripe,spicy with beautiful tannins. It reminds me of the Tua Rita Guisto di Notri. But yes you got it spot on Steve Smile
Over the last few days:

2009 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Silver Eagle Vineyard
2006 Kongsgaard Chardonnay
2005 Radio-Coteau Syrah Cherry Camp
2002 Domaine Nudant Ladoix 'Les Buis' - Lots of time left for this wine. Very good PN value.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
And you thought that this bottle was Italian. Razz I can be smug because I nailed this one. Banana

I don't remember saying that Devilish

True enough. I thought it to be so. I was quite surprised, to say the least Wink
2009 Ch. Faizeau VV

Not a thinking man's wine, but a real crowd pleaser with people who don't like to geek out.
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:
The Don Melchor is drinking like a wine from Bolgheri. Ripe,spicy with beautiful tannins. It reminds me of the Tua Rita Guisto di Notri. But yes you got it spot on Steve Smile

I had no idea. Are you speaking of this wine in general or specifically the 2006 vintage? TIA
Last edited by mangiare
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
1999 Vieux Certan Chateau- cherries, vanilla and nice tannins. Drink now or over the next 5 years.

Nice.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:

I had not idea. Are you speaking of this wine in general or specifically the 2006 vintage? TIA

I refer to the 2006 vintage as being Bolgheri like. It is quite fruit forward,somewhat modern with a bit of classic european backbone. It is drinking well now with a 2 hour decant or slow O for 8 hours. There are still quite a few bottles left in QC.
Except for that streak of eucalyptus running through it. That was the tell-tale sign for me. It was less pronounced than in some previous vintages, but still there.
quote:
The 98 Ornellaia was corked.

Sorry to hear that. Man, it seems like you're on a bad run...

Bang
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
quote:
The 98 Ornellaia was corked.

Sorry to hear that. Man, it seems like you're on a bad run...

Bang

At least it wasn't my bottle this time.
Over the weekend
2009 Seghesio 1942 Block Grenache
2009 Unti Grenache
2009 Unti Greenhouse Zinfandel
2009 Siduri Arbre Vert Willamette Valley Pinot

2009 Segeshio Sangiovese
2007 Chilean Cab Franc(cant recall producer)
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
The Don Melchor is drinking like a wine from Bolgheri.

Are you serious?

I was waiting for you to chime in on this comment.
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
1992 Dominus
1995 Dominus

LB, how were these?

TIA

The '92 is still a big wine that took a couple of hours to really open up. Once it did, it was excellent. I have really enjoyed the '95 vintage as a whole from Napa. This one did nothing to change my mind. More ready initially than the '92.
quote:
quote:

Are you serious?

It could have been Confused I was backing up someone who guessed it was Possibly Italian. You might know the person(hint) Wink
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
2004 Concha Y Toro Don Melchor

Timely choice. Wink How was the 04 drinking?
quote:
quote:

Are you serious?

It could've been worse. He could've said a wine from the Bolgheri was drinking like a wine from Chile. LOL
Note to self: next time I get together with the Dallas group, ask if we can do a blind tasting. Smile

Blind tastings can be very humbling. Our group emphatically chose a South African wine as the WOTN, and my own notes picked it out as a left bank Bordeaux.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
quote:

Are you serious?

It could've been worse. He could've said a wine from the Bolgheri was drinking like a wine from Chile. LOL

It was a serious question. I gave up on wine from Chile ( for the most part) due to the hint of green & under ripeness I always smelled and tasted.

I would not have an issue trying their wines again. Wink
quote:

Our group emphatically chose a South African wine as the WOTN, and my own notes picked it out as a left bank Bordeaux.

I'm not shocked the South African wine stood out in this type ( and flawed in my opinion) of blind tasting. Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.