quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
2006 Concha y Toro, Don Melchor

K-

This surprises me a bit, as I don't see you consume many South American wines.

Are you typcially a fan of this wine or did it simply show very well?

I'm a fan of Don Melchor, generally. I haven't purchased teh past few vintages as I tend to feel their price point has reached a bit beyond what I'm willing to pay for that wine (here anyway).

Saying that, the bottle showed well. Especially since I tend to think of DMs as those I like to cellar for some time. This showed very well for its' young age.
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:
The Don Melchor is drinking like a wine from Bolgheri. Ripe,spicy with beautiful tannins. It reminds me of the Tua Rita Guisto di Notri. But yes you got it spot on Steve Smile

I had no idea. Are you speaking of this wine in general or specifically the 2006 vintage? TIA
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
The Don Melchor is drinking like a wine from Bolgheri. Ripe,spicy with beautiful tannins. It reminds me of the Tua Rita Guisto di Notri. But yes you got it spot on Steve Smile

I had not idea. Are you speaking of this wine in general or specifically the 2006 vintage? TIA

I refer to the 2006 vintage as being Bolgheri like. It is quite fruit forward,somewhat modern with a bit of classic european backbone. It is drinking well now with a 2 hour decant or slow O for 8 hours. There are still quite a few bottles left in QC.
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
1992 Dominus
1995 Dominus

LB, how were these?

TIA

The '92 is still a big wine that took a couple of hours to really open up. Once it did, it was excellent. I have really enjoyed the '95 vintage as a whole from Napa. This one did nothing to change my mind. More ready initially than the '92.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
The Don Melchor is drinking like a wine from Bolgheri.

Are you serious?

It could have been Confused I was backing up someone who guessed it was Possibly Italian. You might know the person(hint) Wink
Note to self: next time I get together with the Dallas group, ask if we can do a blind tasting. Smile

Blind tastings can be very humbling. Our group emphatically chose a South African wine as the WOTN, and my own notes picked it out as a left bank Bordeaux.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
The Don Melchor is drinking like a wine from Bolgheri.

Are you serious?

It could've been worse. He could've said a wine from the Bolgheri was drinking like a wine from Chile. LOL

It was a serious question. I gave up on wine from Chile ( for the most part) due to the hint of green & under ripeness I always smelled and tasted.

I would not have an issue trying their wines again. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:

Our group emphatically chose a South African wine as the WOTN, and my own notes picked it out as a left bank Bordeaux.

I'm not shocked the South African wine stood out in this type ( and flawed in my opinion) of blind tasting. Smile

Add Reply

Likes (0)