NV Pierre Peters BdB and a lobster shared with a friend over lunch.

1998 Vilmart Grand Cellier Rubis shared with same friend over much conversation. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
Brought to a nice restaurant near Orlando (Winter Garden) named Chef's Table.

2009 Pride Chard Vintners Select
2006 Realm Tempest
2006 Erna Schein Cemetery

Beerman, how was the Cemetery? I love the label BTW.
Taco night (Chorizo and mushroom), so a good night to knock off a daily-drinker night -

2003 Elyse Winery Zinfandel Howell Mountain - Off or over-the-hill bottle - pruny, raisiny mess. Like a bad port. A shame, as my last of 6 and the previous 5 were quite tasty. So, offered to the Gods of the Drain, and on to

2006 Four Vines Zinfandel The Biker - much better.
2009 Huet le Haut-Lieu Moelleux
2003 Giscours (nice and fresh, couldn't tell it was '03 blind)
2009 Jasmin Cote-Rotie
Last night at a blind tasting

2006 Concha y Toro, Don Melchor
2007 Coho, Headwaters
2003 Osoyoos Larose
2005 De Toren, Fusion V (group WOTN)
1998 Chateau Pontet-Canet
2004 Il Borro
1998 Tenuta Dell'Ornellaia, Ornellaia
2003 Chateau Duhart-Milon
2004 Nicolas Catena Zapata

The 98 Ornellaia was corked. I didn't write down which wines were the groups #2 and 3 wines of the night, but I think the Coho was #2.

There was also a 2003 Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey, Sauternes, which I found disappointing. Not enough acidity for my taste. And the colour was pretty dark, more so than the half bottle I just looked at in my cellar.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
1985 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Charlie
2008 Huet Le Mont Demi Sec Vouvray
1982 Branaire Ducru

A wonderful evening with Longboarder.

Ditto W+A. Enjoyed the conversation more than you know.

Indeed.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
1985 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Charlie

Is the '85 Charlie still showing well?

My last few bottles had begun to reflect better days prior so I tended to drink them up last year. Curious to hear how yours showed. Maybe it was the batch I had.

I will not speak for W+A but I thought the Charlie was excellent and definitely not past its peak. It really opened up as the night progressed and the acidity kept it so fresh for me. I actually thought this bottle tasted young.

KSC02, the first pour had me a little worried, but the wine did end up showing well. Based on this bottle, I agree no need to rush.

PurpleHaze, I still have your gift in my cellar. I'm planning on enjoying with D, and we shall speak of you. Cool

...and speaking of Champagne, Big Grin I had the '98 Vilmart Rubis yesterday, and it was special!
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Last night at a blind tasting (theme: Bordeaux Blend)

2006 Concha y Toro, Don Melchor (group #3 WOTN I think) (KSC's WOTN)
2007 Coho, Headwaters (group #2 WOTN)(KSC #2 WOTN)
2005 De Toren, Fusion V (group WOTN)(KSC #3 WOTN)

A fun evening and great to see everyone. Very disappointing regarding the '98 Ornellaia.

It was fun hearing some people pegging the Osoyoos Larose to be "an elegant Left Bank Bordeaux") Razz

I was quite confident that the '98 Pontet-Canet was a '95 Sociando-Mallet (the horror Big Grin )

The Coho Headwaters showed beautifully. Man, I wish we could get that wine into QC.

The De Toren was totally off my radar. It isn't any more...

Yep, nothing more humbling than a blind tasting.
A lot of fun. It's been quite a while since we last did one of these.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if the group #3 was the DM or the Catena Zapata. The latter was my #3.

Agree about the Coho. Based on the 2006's and this 2007, I will pick up more anytime I see it on my travels.

I didn't use the word elegant to describe the Osoyoos Larose, but I did peg it for left bank Bordeaux. This tasting taught me O-L does need time.
Bigfoot

The Cemetery was drinking very nicely. The tannins were in balance with the fruit. It is definitely bold. Everyone at the table liked it better than the Tempest. You can either open yours or hold it a while longer.
quote:
Thanks, I wasn't sure if the group #3 was the DM or the Catena Zapata. The latter was my #3.

Agree about the Coho. Based on the 2006's and this 2007, I will pick up more anytime I see it on my travels.

I didn't use the word elegant to describe the Osoyoos Larose, but I did peg it for left bank Bordeaux. This tasting taught me O-L does need time.

I pegged the Osoyoo Larose for a HB or MHB. The shock on my face when I the wrapper came off was classic. I also thought it was a left bank bordeaux. But in my defence, it tasted better in the first half of the night than the latter part.
quote:

Thoughts on what sort of age it requires?
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
The 98 Ornellaia was corked.

How could you tell?

I was clearly severely flawed (textbook TCA smell).
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
But in my defence, it tasted better in the first half of the night than the latter part.

How is that a defense ? Eek

Are you saying that you were completely uninfluenced by the label? Razz Spit
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:

Thoughts on what sort of age it requires?

Bruce - This was my first (and only) bottle of O-L. This bottle was an '03 and, IMHO, was indeed ready to go. I did not splash decant prior to the tasting.
quote:
quote:
quote:

How could you tell?

I was clearly severely flawed (textbook TCA smell).

I have been on a poor run recently when it comes to TCA. Mad

I first tasted the wine at Ornellaia prior to release, and it is such a wonderful Cabernet/Merlot/Franc blend. I hope you get to drink this wine, and soon.
quote:
I didn't use the word elegant to describe the Osoyoos Larose, but I did peg it for left bank Bordeaux.

Of course I'm not referring to you, steve8.
It was our friend at the end of the table insisting it was LMHB Wink Razz
I thought the Ornellaia was 1990 but to find out it was the great 1998 Red Face It should have been wotn. 2005 De Toren, Fusion V was a surprise. The 2006 Don Melchor and the 2003 Chateau Duhart-Milon showed well. Many surprises. Great food. Wonderful people. Too much wine. I'm going to drink alot of water now Spit When are we doing this again?
Last edited by unclejohn
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:
I thought the Ornellaia was 1990 but to find out it was the great 1998 Red Face It should have been wotn. 2005 De Toren, Fusion V was a surprise. The 2006 Don Melchor and the 2003 Chateau Duhart-Milon showed well. Many surprises. Great food. Wonderful people. To much wine. I'm going to drink alot of water now Spit When are we doing this again?

Too much wine? Confused

I'm confused. Razz
quote:
quote:
I thought the Ornellaia was 1990 but to find out it was the great 1998 Red Face It should have been wotn. 2005 De Toren, Fusion V was a surprise. The 2006 Don Melchor and the 2003 Chateau Duhart-Milon showed well. Many surprises. Great food. Wonderful people. To much wine. I'm going to drink alot of water now Spit When are we doing this again?

Too much wine? Confused

I'm confused. Razz

OK maybe not too much wine but surely more than I would consume on the average night. Alas this was not the average night. Wink
quote:
quote:

How could you tell?

Big Grin I think I am the only one to have understood this.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Too much wine? Confused

I'm confused. Razz

OK maybe not too much wine but surely more than I would consume on the average night. Alas this was not the average night. Wink

Big Grin...I have enjoyed a lot of wine with a number of the Montreal group. Great group in a great city. ( Summer)
Last night:
2010 St. Cosme CdR Blanc
2009 Sean Minor 4 Bears Pinot Noir
2005 Pax Syrah Obsidian - incredible. 2nd time I've had this wine in the last 4 months or so, and awesome both times.
2001 Chateau Lannesan
NV Mumm Napa Brut Rose
quote:
quote:

I hope you get to drink this wine, and soon.

w+a - There's a few bottles between us here. No fear of that.
I have one in my 'ready for the right moment' rack.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
quote:

How could you tell?

Big Grin I think I am the only one to have understood this.

No Charlie, you're the only one who didn't see the hook at the end of that line. Razz
quote:
2006 Concha y Toro, Don Melchor

K-

This surprises me a bit, as I don't see you consume many South American wines.

Are you typcially a fan of this wine or did it simply show very well?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.