It's never the same. If I'm using steak, I usually get skirt steak and trim it very well with a razor sharp knife, then cut it into uniform bite-sized pieces. Each ingredient is prepared separately. I take scallions, cut off the green portion and the root tips. I always peel away the outer layer and then wash and dry them and cut them vertically, then into 1 inch segments. I mince the garlic. If using snow peas, I cut off the tips and wash and dry them.

I use a heavy cast iron chicken cooker. It's like a heavy cast iron skillet, only the sides are higher and it has a glass cover. I add a tiny amount of peanut oil and, when it starts to smoke, stir-fried the steak, being careful not to fully cook it. I then put it and all juices in a bowl and add some more peanut oil, very little, and stir-fry the scallions, then remove them to another bowl. I then do the same with the snow peas. Next, I turn the heat and sautee the garlic, being careful not to let it brown.

When it has sauteed enough, I add some of the liquid that has accumulated in the bowl with the steak, some dry Sherry, some chicken/Portobello demi-glace I've made and keep in the freezer, and whatever spices I feel like adding, maybe some 5 spice, or cardamom, cumin, savory, ancho chile, etc. I turn up the heat to reduce, then add the rest of the liquid from the steak. When reduced enough, I add a little soy sauce and sesame oil, then all the cooked ingredients and stir to heat through and serve. I think I do it pretty well. Guests request it. I serve it with chili sauce on the side for guests to add as they see fit.
Six pounds of corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots - prepared by my sweet Irish mother-in-law. I think that I ate half of the corned beef.

(UGHH)
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's never the same. If I'm using steak, I usually get skirt steak and trim it very well with a razor sharp knife, then cut it into uniform bite-sized pieces. Each ingredient is prepared separately. I take scallions, cut off the green portion and the root tips. I always peel away the outer layer and then wash and dry them and cut them vertically, then into 1 inch segments. I mince the garlic. If using snow peas, I cut off the tips and wash and dry them.

I use a heavy cast iron chicken cooker. It's like a heavy cast iron skillet, only the sides are higher and it has a glass cover. I add a tiny amount of peanut oil and, when it starts to smoke, stir-fried the steak, being careful not to fully cook it. I then put it and all juices in a bowl and add some more peanut oil, very little, and stir-fry the scallions, then remove them to another bowl. I then do the same with the snow peas. Next, I turn the heat and sautee the garlic, being careful not to let it brown.

When it has sauteed enough, I add some of the liquid that has accumulated in the bowl with the steak, some dry Sherry, some chicken/Portobello demi-glace I've made and keep in the freezer, and whatever spices I feel like adding, maybe some 5 spice, or cardamom, cumin, savory, ancho chile, etc. I turn up the heat to reduce, then add the rest of the liquid from the steak. When reduced enough, I add a little soy sauce and sesame oil, then all the cooked ingredients and stir to heat through and serve. I think I do it pretty well. Guests request it. I serve it with chili sauce on the side for guests to add as they see fit.
Sounds good. Thanks!
At Valentino's Restaurant in Nashville:

Fried Calamari & Zucchini
Grilled Italian Sweet Sausage topped with mozzarella cheese
Shrimp Bisque Soup
Veal Marsala flamed with Marsala wine, cream and mushrooms
Went to Pinot Provence last night in Costa Mesa with some friends and the soon to be Mrs. Glennk. Had the roasted angus beef filet, shallot confit, red wine jus, and pommes frites. Wines: 1970 Château Beau-Séjour Bécot (almost dead, but fun to drink), 2005 Château Pipeau (my friend bought a case and wanted to try one at this stage, was actually pretty open after about an hour 89-91), 2005 Domaine des Rémizières Crozes-Hermitage (brought by another guest, simple but nice 86-88).
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
Tonight - corned beef and cabbage with Guinness.

I forgot the Guinness! I have always thought of CB&C as a beer dish. But with no beer in the house, some improvisation was called for.

I opened a Vouvray - not bad. The acidity cut through the fat and the slight sweetness paired well with the salt. Like I said - not bad.
Pan fried veal cutlet
Roasted peppers with chopped olives and garlic
Baked Red Potatoes, basted in butter, olive oil, rosemary
quote:
Barbecue on the beach in Bermuda tonight

Is THAT what you've started to call Long Island now? Razz Big Grin
Grilled cheese & bacon sandwich. Raw milk English Cheddar & Poacher Cheeses. Locally cured thick sliced bacon. Fresh artisanal bread schmeared with a little sweet butter for lubrication. Dogfishhead 75 (home blended) to wash it down. Life is good. Call the cardiac intensive care unit......

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Grilled cheese & bacon sandwich. Raw milk English Cheddar & Poacher Cheeses. Locally cured thick sliced bacon. Fresh artisanal bread schmeared with a little sweet butter for lubrication. Dogfishhead 75 (home blended) to wash it down. Life is good. Call the cardiac intensive care unit......

PH

oh man you had me drooling..
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Barbecue on the beach in Bermuda tonight

Is THAT what you've started to call Long Island now? Razz Big Grin

No. I'm on the beach in Smiths Parish right now. Almost full moon is beautiful reflecting off the water.
Board-O: If you are still in Bermuda and have an opening, try eating at The Reefs. We've enjoyed it in the past.
quote:
Board-O: If you are still in Bermuda and have an opening, try eating at The Reefs. We've enjoyed it in the past.

Reefs was good. Love Bermuda. Went there on our Honeymoon 10 years ago and pretty much went to a top restaurant every night within the culinary ring we joined. 5 courses.

A little early in the year weather wise - I doubt Board-O is getting a sun tan, but no doubt eating well. Smile
I had a nice Angus NY strip, and DnVsMom had a filet (please don't make fun of her). Baked potato and a sausage, bell pepper and spinach stuffed portobello mushroom as sides. '01 Gabbiano Alleanza and '04 St. Clement Cabernet....
Last night:

Grilled salmon (lemon pepper, soy, brown sugar, olive oil marinade)
Grilled vegetables
Spring salad

05 Chehalem 3 Vineyards PN
Last evening:
Mixed greens salad topped with seared Ahi Tuna (light and very enjoyable)
Paired well with a couple of Vodka Martinis
Saturday night we had a roasted chicken and a side of simple risotto with red bell peppers and Italian squash. Paired with a 2006 Frascati.

Sunday we used some leftover chicken to make panini’s with pesto, tomato and fresh mozzarella. We also made a few fried risotto balls with the leftover risotto. Beer instead of wine while watching the wild Laker game.
Saturday we had our Easter Eve celebration at the house with family - 22 adults and 14 kids ages 7 and under.

Two legs of lamb, one spiral ham, fruit salad, fusili, lots of deviled eggs, various cheeses, cous cous, a few different vegetable dishes, and lots of different wines.

I think I have finally restored order in the house....
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Beer instead of wine while watching the wild Laker game.

You mean the wild Warriors game, right GlennK?!?!?!?! Razz
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Beer instead of wine while watching the wild Laker game.

You mean the wild Warriors game, right GlennK?!?!?!?! Razz
You got me there. Good thing we don’t have to wait long for a rematch!
Dinner @ Interim Restaurant in Memphis:

Butternut Squash Soup
Griiled Beef Tenderloin
Roasted Garlic Mashed potatoes
Broccolini
Molten Chocolate Cake
Dinner @ Onotria in Costa Mesa last night. I had the agnolotti pasta of goat cheese & white truffle in a parmigiano mascarpone sauce. Susie went for the oven backed penne with buffalo ragout & aged cheddar. Why anyone would go to Olive Garden over a nice neighborhood spot like Onotria is beyond me!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.