scalloped potatoes
Blueberry Cheesecake and Chocolate Lava Cake

I can't top your menu, not even close.

Derby sage, Jarlsberg, and smoked gouda cheeses
Sauteed jumbo scallops
Baked cod
Sauteed asparagus
Wine for dessert
Saturday night - rib eyes on the grill. '03 Lewis and '99 Pride Cabs....

Last night - started with grilled marinated bacon wrapped duck breast stuffed with jalapeno, garlic and ginger. Then put the baby backs and Italian sausages on the grill. '05 Red Nectar Shiraz....
Last night: Spaghetti O's, wife was working and Dad was home with the little guy, dont tell Mom what we ate though!
Grilled pork loin chops marinated in mustard and horseradish, grilled onions. sauteed spinach, sauteed mushrooms, an earthy Bourgogne...nice!
Roasted chicken, mashed yukon gold potatoes, baby spinach with a little lemon and olive oil. Paired with a 2006 Pascal Jolivet Sancerre.
Went to UPS to pick up some wine shipped in during the break in the weather. Cool

Couldn't resist picking up nearby Chicken Vindaloo and Nann Bread. Nice! Smile
I grilled some sausage kabobs (or is it kebab?). Unfortunately, the first wine was corked, but then an '05 Tobin James Chateau Le Cacheflo was okay....
Stir-fried steak and scallions tonight.

Tentative plans for mañana with KillerB:

Cold poached shrimp with aioli and guacamole over Mesclun greens

2005 Beringer Sbragia Reserve Chardonnay

Pan-seared magret with green peppercorn sauce
Wild Rice
Asparagus

2004 Martinelli Seven Mules Pinot Noir

Brilliat Savarin, Robiola Bosina cheeses, tapenade with baguette

1981 Chateau Margaux

d'Artagnan foie gras with freshly shaved black truffle on top

2003 Christoffel Urziger Wurzgarten Auslese ***
Had dinner at Athens Market Taverna tonight.

Greek salad, dolmathes, moussako, pastitsio and lamb chop. Had a glass of Rotidis Rose.

For dessert, Baklava and Yalaktobouriko (phylo dough and custard), paired with a Greek coffee.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Tentative plans for mañana with KillerB:

Cold poached shrimp with aioli and guacamole over Mesclun greens

2005 Beringer Sbragia Reserve Chardonnay

Pan-seared magret with green peppercorn sauce
Wild Rice
Asparagus

2004 Martinelli Seven Mules Pinot Noir

Brilliat Savarin, Robiola Bosina cheeses, tapenade with baguette

1981 Chateau Margaux

d'Artagnan foie gras with freshly shaved black truffle on top

2003 Christoffel Urziger Wurzgarten Auslese ***

Cool VERY NICE
Let us know how that turns out!
Smoked a sage rubbed chicken and served with herbed roasted cauliflower. Well matched with a dry herbal Savennieres (Chenin blanc).
I figure that this is the most appropriate place for post 3K....

And, as Saturday night usually dictates, a very nice grilled rib eye, sauteed mushrooms, and haricot vert. '01 Araujo Altagracia Cabernet....
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by redknife:
Curry lamb stew.

What wine did you match with it?

No wine just iced tea; I'm working this weekend.

I've had it with Clio and I believe Montes Alpha Syrah. They both went well.
Pretty Windy and Cold here today.

Sauce simmering in the pot. Veal Cutlet Parm and Rigatoni. Most likely a Brunello to be named later.

Wife has a slight cold so no one is bothering me to do anything today. My kinda Sunday. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:

Sauce simmering in the pot. Veal Cutlet Parm and Rigatoni. Most likely a Brunello to be named later.

Wife has a slight cold so no one is bothering me to do anything today. My kinda Sunday. Smile

Your dinners always sound so good.
quote:
quote:

Wife has a slight cold so no one is bothering me to do anything today. My kinda Sunday.

Your dinners always sound so good.

Thanks Spo. Actually, the one who really eats and drinks like a king around here (and I mean 7 days a week) is this guy: Eek

quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad : I figure that this is the most appropriate place for post 3K....

And, as Saturday night usually dictates, a very nice grilled rib eye, sauteed mushrooms, and haricot vert. '01 Araujo Altagracia Cabernet....

I'm still trying to figure out if he inherited millions or his wife is a high powered fancy lawyer and he gets to just buy the meat, cook and drink great wine every night. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Big Grin

Smile Nice job on the 3k D and V. Many of them very tasty posts. Seriously - I dig the dinner posts. Keep them up.
quote:

I'm still trying to figure out if he inherited millions or his wife is a high powered fancy lawyer and he gets to just buy the meat, cook and drink great wine every night. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Big Grin

Smile Nice job on the 3k D and V. Many of them very tasty posts. Seriously - I dig the dinner posts. Keep them up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Hunter.

We just like to eat and drink well. No millions, no attorneys....

Although I will say that I was on my own last night. DnVsMom was in Maui for business. Yeah, yeah. I know.... Roll Eyes
Pan seared scallops with enoki and hon-meiji mushrooms.

Striploin and Portabello on the grill with twice baked potatoe.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Tater tots.

PH

did it go well with the kraft mac and cheese? =)

A traditional Sunday dinner in DC.
quote:
Tater tots. Eek

PH
I make breakfast burritos with tater tots in them. The crunch really goes well with the eggs.
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Tonight pork spare ribs with 2001 Patrick Lesec Les Galets Blonds. Razz

Are they twins? Razz Big Grin
Braised lamb shanks in sundried tomato and kalamata sauce w/ black trumpet mushroom and truffle risotto. Paired it with a 2005 Kilikanoon The Medley GSM

Day off work, felt like experimenting Smile
Roast Chicken with dipping sauce (think Swiss Chalet sauce with fresh herbs), Cauliflower Paprikash and Spaetzle. Served with a mediocre Chilean Pinot Noir (Anakena). Dinner was really good, though.
My wife got me some Alton Brown "Good Eats" dvd's for my birthday last month. Just had to try his version of steak au poivre. It turned out amazingly well for an amateur like myself. Damn near burned the house down igniting the cognac! Served with Rudd cabernet Jericho Canyon 1999.
Last night we had a pan roasted filet of beef (with a little garlic butter on top), sautéed mushrooms and spinach salad with red wine vinaigrette. Paired with a 05 Clos des Andes Malbec – Great QPR.
Last night - carnitas and chile rellenos....

Now, don't laugh. I picked them up at Costco. The carnitas I have had before, and I think they are very, very good. Makes for an excellent machaca the next day.

The rellenos? Not so good. Won't be buying again....
Tried grilling duck breasts tonight. They were good and required care so I didn't burn them, but they really belong in a pan over high heat.
quote:
Tried grilling duck breasts tonight. They were good and required care so I didn't burn them, but they really belong in a pan over high heat.

Yeah, I could see that skin(fat) being a major issue on the grill. I would definitely stick to pan searing, the taste should be better and the with a wider variety of uses...then again I prefer my steaks to be cooked over extremely high heat in a cast iron pan. I have a $2,000 grill that rarely gets used. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
Last night - carnitas and chile rellenos....

Now, don't laugh. I picked them up at Costco. The carnitas I have had before, and I think they are very, very good. Makes for an excellent machaca the next day.

The rellenos? Not so good. Won't be buying again....
I’ve been thinking of trying the carnitas at Costco. I tried their “fresh” tamales and they were no bueno.

Last night we made eggplant parm with the 2006 Argiolas Cannonau di Sardegna Costera.
Chinese food from the back of a truck @ U of T campus (starchy, oily, spicy, and filling, all for under $7!); paired with my last bottle of 1990 Z-H Herrenweg de Turckheim Gewurz.
Went out for pizza and beer Friday night after T-Ball practice....

Last night - rib eyes, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed baby squash. '01 Duckhorn Estate Merlot and '03 Lewis Merlot....
Sunday: Homemade spaghetti, pork ribs, meatballs. Roast Beef.

Today: Cornbeef and cabbage etc. at my sister's house.

For a Monday I guess I can eat that stuff. Razz
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
Tonight - corned beef and cabbage with Guinness.

Hmmm.... methinks there will be lots of this particular dinner tonight.... Big Grin

I know that is what is happening at my house. Although, we will be having some red potatoes as welll....
quote:

Hey Hunter!! Did you feed the whole neighborhood last night???? Razz
quote:
quote:

Hey Hunter!! Did you feed the whole neighborhood last night????

Mother in Law did this and there were about 12 of us. I do not make the hand cut spaghetti. She does it great and I am thrilled to indulge in it whenever she makes it!, so I got the day off.

It's nice to just show up and eat sometimes... Smile
Saturday night dinner was chicken saltimbocca, risotto with red bell peppers and zucchini. Paired with 2006 Prà Soave Classico. Dinner was much better than the wine.
quote:
Stir-fried steak with scallions
Board-O, you seem to stir-fry a lot. I have never tried cooking Chinese at home; care to share your recipe?
It's never the same. If I'm using steak, I usually get skirt steak and trim it very well with a razor sharp knife, then cut it into uniform bite-sized pieces. Each ingredient is prepared separately. I take scallions, cut off the green portion and the root tips. I always peel away the outer layer and then wash and dry them and cut them vertically, then into 1 inch segments. I mince the garlic. If using snow peas, I cut off the tips and wash and dry them.

I use a heavy cast iron chicken cooker. It's like a heavy cast iron skillet, only the sides are higher and it has a glass cover. I add a tiny amount of peanut oil and, when it starts to smoke, stir-fried the steak, being careful not to fully cook it. I then put it and all juices in a bowl and add some more peanut oil, very little, and stir-fry the scallions, then remove them to another bowl. I then do the same with the snow peas. Next, I turn the heat and sautee the garlic, being careful not to let it brown.

When it has sauteed enough, I add some of the liquid that has accumulated in the bowl with the steak, some dry Sherry, some chicken/Portobello demi-glace I've made and keep in the freezer, and whatever spices I feel like adding, maybe some 5 spice, or cardamom, cumin, savory, ancho chile, etc. I turn up the heat to reduce, then add the rest of the liquid from the steak. When reduced enough, I add a little soy sauce and sesame oil, then all the cooked ingredients and stir to heat through and serve. I think I do it pretty well. Guests request it. I serve it with chili sauce on the side for guests to add as they see fit.
Six pounds of corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots - prepared by my sweet Irish mother-in-law. I think that I ate half of the corned beef.

(UGHH)
quote:
It's never the same. If I'm using steak, I usually get skirt steak and trim it very well with a razor sharp knife, then cut it into uniform bite-sized pieces. Each ingredient is prepared separately. I take scallions, cut off the green portion and the root tips. I always peel away the outer layer and then wash and dry them and cut them vertically, then into 1 inch segments. I mince the garlic. If using snow peas, I cut off the tips and wash and dry them.

I use a heavy cast iron chicken cooker. It's like a heavy cast iron skillet, only the sides are higher and it has a glass cover. I add a tiny amount of peanut oil and, when it starts to smoke, stir-fried the steak, being careful not to fully cook it. I then put it and all juices in a bowl and add some more peanut oil, very little, and stir-fry the scallions, then remove them to another bowl. I then do the same with the snow peas. Next, I turn the heat and sautee the garlic, being careful not to let it brown.

When it has sauteed enough, I add some of the liquid that has accumulated in the bowl with the steak, some dry Sherry, some chicken/Portobello demi-glace I've made and keep in the freezer, and whatever spices I feel like adding, maybe some 5 spice, or cardamom, cumin, savory, ancho chile, etc. I turn up the heat to reduce, then add the rest of the liquid from the steak. When reduced enough, I add a little soy sauce and sesame oil, then all the cooked ingredients and stir to heat through and serve. I think I do it pretty well. Guests request it. I serve it with chili sauce on the side for guests to add as they see fit.
Sounds good. Thanks!
At Valentino's Restaurant in Nashville:

Fried Calamari & Zucchini
Grilled Italian Sweet Sausage topped with mozzarella cheese
Shrimp Bisque Soup
Veal Marsala flamed with Marsala wine, cream and mushrooms
Went to Pinot Provence last night in Costa Mesa with some friends and the soon to be Mrs. Glennk. Had the roasted angus beef filet, shallot confit, red wine jus, and pommes frites. Wines: 1970 Château Beau-Séjour Bécot (almost dead, but fun to drink), 2005 Château Pipeau (my friend bought a case and wanted to try one at this stage, was actually pretty open after about an hour 89-91), 2005 Domaine des Rémizières Crozes-Hermitage (brought by another guest, simple but nice 86-88).
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
Tonight - corned beef and cabbage with Guinness.

I forgot the Guinness! I have always thought of CB&C as a beer dish. But with no beer in the house, some improvisation was called for.

I opened a Vouvray - not bad. The acidity cut through the fat and the slight sweetness paired well with the salt. Like I said - not bad.
Pan fried veal cutlet
Roasted peppers with chopped olives and garlic
Baked Red Potatoes, basted in butter, olive oil, rosemary
quote:
Barbecue on the beach in Bermuda tonight

Is THAT what you've started to call Long Island now? Razz Big Grin
Grilled cheese & bacon sandwich. Raw milk English Cheddar & Poacher Cheeses. Locally cured thick sliced bacon. Fresh artisanal bread schmeared with a little sweet butter for lubrication. Dogfishhead 75 (home blended) to wash it down. Life is good. Call the cardiac intensive care unit......

PH
quote:
Grilled cheese & bacon sandwich. Raw milk English Cheddar & Poacher Cheeses. Locally cured thick sliced bacon. Fresh artisanal bread schmeared with a little sweet butter for lubrication. Dogfishhead 75 (home blended) to wash it down. Life is good. Call the cardiac intensive care unit......

PH

oh man you had me drooling..
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Barbecue on the beach in Bermuda tonight

Is THAT what you've started to call Long Island now? Razz Big Grin

No. I'm on the beach in Smiths Parish right now. Almost full moon is beautiful reflecting off the water.
Board-O: If you are still in Bermuda and have an opening, try eating at The Reefs. We've enjoyed it in the past.
quote:
Board-O: If you are still in Bermuda and have an opening, try eating at The Reefs. We've enjoyed it in the past.

Reefs was good. Love Bermuda. Went there on our Honeymoon 10 years ago and pretty much went to a top restaurant every night within the culinary ring we joined. 5 courses.

A little early in the year weather wise - I doubt Board-O is getting a sun tan, but no doubt eating well. Smile
I had a nice Angus NY strip, and DnVsMom had a filet (please don't make fun of her). Baked potato and a sausage, bell pepper and spinach stuffed portobello mushroom as sides. '01 Gabbiano Alleanza and '04 St. Clement Cabernet....
Last night:

Grilled salmon (lemon pepper, soy, brown sugar, olive oil marinade)
Grilled vegetables
Spring salad

05 Chehalem 3 Vineyards PN
Last evening:
Mixed greens salad topped with seared Ahi Tuna (light and very enjoyable)
Paired well with a couple of Vodka Martinis
Saturday night we had a roasted chicken and a side of simple risotto with red bell peppers and Italian squash. Paired with a 2006 Frascati.

Sunday we used some leftover chicken to make panini’s with pesto, tomato and fresh mozzarella. We also made a few fried risotto balls with the leftover risotto. Beer instead of wine while watching the wild Laker game.
Saturday we had our Easter Eve celebration at the house with family - 22 adults and 14 kids ages 7 and under.

Two legs of lamb, one spiral ham, fruit salad, fusili, lots of deviled eggs, various cheeses, cous cous, a few different vegetable dishes, and lots of different wines.

I think I have finally restored order in the house....
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Beer instead of wine while watching the wild Laker game.

You mean the wild Warriors game, right GlennK?!?!?!?! Razz
quote:
quote:
Beer instead of wine while watching the wild Laker game.

You mean the wild Warriors game, right GlennK?!?!?!?! Razz
You got me there. Good thing we don’t have to wait long for a rematch!
Dinner @ Interim Restaurant in Memphis:

Butternut Squash Soup
Griiled Beef Tenderloin
Roasted Garlic Mashed potatoes
Broccolini
Molten Chocolate Cake
Dinner @ Onotria in Costa Mesa last night. I had the agnolotti pasta of goat cheese & white truffle in a parmigiano mascarpone sauce. Susie went for the oven backed penne with buffalo ragout & aged cheddar. Why anyone would go to Olive Garden over a nice neighborhood spot like Onotria is beyond me!
king crab legs shelled over
linguine and a light homemade tomato sauce,
green peas, grilled peppers and pancetta.
quote:
quote:

Reefs was good. Love Bermuda. Went there on our Honeymoon 10 years ago and pretty much went to a top restaurant every night within the culinary ring we joined. 5 courses.

A little early in the year weather wise - I doubt Board-O is getting a sun tan, but no doubt eating well. Smile

Actually, I got a little burn on my face riding around the island on a scooter. As for the restaurants, my son lives in Bermuda, and knows most of the good ones. We ate at Linos in the Elbow Beach Hotel, Rustico in Flatts, had a great brunch at The Carriage House in St. Georges, and ate dinner on Easter in a brew pub because it was late and many places weren't open. One night I cooked my version of surf and turf for them- lobster tails and rack of lamb. One night my son grilled aged ribeyes.

Before he moved there, we'd spent a month on the island in three different trips.
Roast beets, fried baby portabella mushrooms, onion, carrot and raw beet salad with balsamic, evoo and tarragon.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Roast beets, fried baby portabella mushrooms, onion, carrot and raw beet salad with balsamic, evoo and tarragon.

Yum. Eek... and what is a baby portabella? Wink
Taco night – Carnitas, diced onion, cilantro, slice of avocado & a little squeeze of lime. Simple & delicious. Carnitas was from Costco based on a recommendation from Dom’n’Vin’sDad. The meat is actually really good, great flavor and super tender. Thanks DNVD!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:

Yum. Eek... and what is a baby portabella? Wink

It was good.

Board-O was right, they are crimini.
quote:
Carnitas was from Costco based on a recommendation from Dom’n’Vin’sDad. The meat is actually really good, great flavor and super tender. Thanks DNVD!

Glad it worked for you GlennK!!!!!

PS - I think I read in another thread that you played college baseball. Where? When?
Last edited by domnvinsdad
quote:
quote:
and what is a baby portabella? Wink

You had to ask? It is how BD carried her little one around....

Big Grin, very witty!
quote:

Glad it worked for you GlennK!!!!!

PS - I think I read in another thread that you played college baseball. Where? When?
Played for this huge baseball powerhouse, Cal. State Dominguez Hills Big Grin. Obviously kidding, its D2 school, most guys were just playing because they weren’t ready to give it up (including myself). I graduated in 1999. It was a blast and I’m still a huge baseball nut. Did you play?
quote:
Yup. Sacramento State. 1985-86. D-II back then, but we did go to the D-II CWS....
Very cool. And did you win?
Went to Sona in LA with a friend last night. Heard a lot of good things about this place and I have to say we were both slightly disappointed. We went with the 9 course chef’s tasting menu and while there were a few winning dishes (sweetbreads on top of a duck mousse tortellini was outstanding), most were very average. There just didn’t seem to be a logical flow from course to course. Biggest disappointment was the Japanese Wagyu course which I was really excited about, but came out very oily based on the way it was prepared. We started off with a White Burg that I can’t recall the name of and we moved onto an 85 Ducru. Wine list is extensive and the service was great, but I don’t think I will be going back anytime soon…
Had my favourite grilling steak - prime rib. Unfortunately, I don't see it offered at the grocery store very often as a steak - I should start asking my butcher to slice me off a couple of bones more regularly. Had with Chilean blend called Coyam, which went very nicely.
quote:
Originally posted by conscious:
Had my favourite grilling steak - prime rib. Unfortunately, I don't see it offered at the grocery store very often as a steak - I should start asking my butcher to slice me off a couple of bones more regularly.

I've found that I'd have to always ask. Usually my grocery store will have a few usda prime cuts they dont put out but a quick ask and the butcher would pull it out.
Last night at a "winemaker" dinner at the club:

Organic Micro Greens with crispy duck confit, carmelized peach vinaigrette and candied pecan crusted chevre - '06 Beringer Alluvium Blanc

Limoncello spiked day boat scallops carpaccio with popcorn sprouts - '06 Greg Norman Australian Estates Chardonnay

Juniper berry and merlot infused venison chop with grilled curry basil carrots - '04 St. Clement Merlot

Applewood bacon wrapped "Snake River Farms American Kobe Beef Steak" with asparagus stuffed royal trumpet mushrooms and black truffle/peppercorn/cabernet demi glace - '04 Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages

It was a very nice night.....
quote:
Last night at a "winemaker" dinner at the club:

Organic Micro Greens with crispy duck confit, carmelized peach vinaigrette and candied pecan crusted chevre - '06 Beringer Alluvium Blanc

Limoncello spiked day boat scallops carpaccio with popcorn sprouts - '06 Greg Norman Australian Estates Chardonnay

Juniper berry and merlot infused venison chop with grilled curry basil carrots - '04 St. Clement Merlot

Applewood bacon wrapped "Snake River Farms American Kobe Beef Steak" with asparagus stuffed royal trumpet mushrooms and black truffle/peppercorn/cabernet demi glace - '04 Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages

It was a very nice night.....
Sounds awesome!
Had some friends over last night, pan roasted prime rib eye steaks (FYI, they usually have prime beef at Costco if you ask the butcher) finished with a little clarified butter, sautéed mushrooms and a potato and cheddar gratin with some diced jalapeno. Mixed berry tart for desert.

Friend brought over the 2004 Clos Apalta (nice wine, good match with the steaks, needs way more time) and the 2005 Casa Lapostolle Cab Cuvee Alex. (ok for the price, a little to much sugar for me).
Oops. Forgot about Saturday night -

2 1/2 inch thick prime rib eye on the grill with sauteed mushrooms and rice. '04 Rockledge Vineyards "The Rocks" Cabernet and '01 Clos Les Lunelles...
Last night -

Lamb shanks with oranges and olives (recipe courtesy Mario Batali), served with polenta. '04 Core Elevation Sensation. Very nice....

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.