quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:
quote:
Board-O: If you are still in Bermuda and have an opening, try eating at The Reefs. We've enjoyed it in the past.

Reefs was good. Love Bermuda. Went there on our Honeymoon 10 years ago and pretty much went to a top restaurant every night within the culinary ring we joined. 5 courses.

A little early in the year weather wise - I doubt Board-O is getting a sun tan, but no doubt eating well. Smile

Actually, I got a little burn on my face riding around the island on a scooter. As for the restaurants, my son lives in Bermuda, and knows most of the good ones. We ate at Linos in the Elbow Beach Hotel, Rustico in Flatts, had a great brunch at The Carriage House in St. Georges, and ate dinner on Easter in a brew pub because it was late and many places weren't open. One night I cooked my version of surf and turf for them- lobster tails and rack of lamb. One night my son grilled aged ribeyes.

Before he moved there, we'd spent a month on the island in three different trips.
Taco night – Carnitas, diced onion, cilantro, slice of avocado & a little squeeze of lime. Simple & delicious. Carnitas was from Costco based on a recommendation from Dom’n’Vin’sDad. The meat is actually really good, great flavor and super tender. Thanks DNVD!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Roast beets, fried baby portabella mushrooms, onion, carrot and raw beet salad with balsamic, evoo and tarragon.

Yum. Eek... and what is a baby portabella? Wink

It was good.

Board-O was right, they are crimini.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Carnitas was from Costco based on a recommendation from Dom’n’Vin’sDad. The meat is actually really good, great flavor and super tender. Thanks DNVD!

Glad it worked for you GlennK!!!!!

PS - I think I read in another thread that you played college baseball. Where? When?
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:

Glad it worked for you GlennK!!!!!

PS - I think I read in another thread that you played college baseball. Where? When?
Played for this huge baseball powerhouse, Cal. State Dominguez Hills Big Grin. Obviously kidding, its D2 school, most guys were just playing because they weren’t ready to give it up (including myself). I graduated in 1999. It was a blast and I’m still a huge baseball nut. Did you play?
Went to Sona in LA with a friend last night. Heard a lot of good things about this place and I have to say we were both slightly disappointed. We went with the 9 course chef’s tasting menu and while there were a few winning dishes (sweetbreads on top of a duck mousse tortellini was outstanding), most were very average. There just didn’t seem to be a logical flow from course to course. Biggest disappointment was the Japanese Wagyu course which I was really excited about, but came out very oily based on the way it was prepared. We started off with a White Burg that I can’t recall the name of and we moved onto an 85 Ducru. Wine list is extensive and the service was great, but I don’t think I will be going back anytime soon…
Had my favourite grilling steak - prime rib. Unfortunately, I don't see it offered at the grocery store very often as a steak - I should start asking my butcher to slice me off a couple of bones more regularly. Had with Chilean blend called Coyam, which went very nicely.
quote:
Originally posted by conscious:
Had my favourite grilling steak - prime rib. Unfortunately, I don't see it offered at the grocery store very often as a steak - I should start asking my butcher to slice me off a couple of bones more regularly.

I've found that I'd have to always ask. Usually my grocery store will have a few usda prime cuts they dont put out but a quick ask and the butcher would pull it out.
Last night at a "winemaker" dinner at the club:

Organic Micro Greens with crispy duck confit, carmelized peach vinaigrette and candied pecan crusted chevre - '06 Beringer Alluvium Blanc

Limoncello spiked day boat scallops carpaccio with popcorn sprouts - '06 Greg Norman Australian Estates Chardonnay

Juniper berry and merlot infused venison chop with grilled curry basil carrots - '04 St. Clement Merlot

Applewood bacon wrapped "Snake River Farms American Kobe Beef Steak" with asparagus stuffed royal trumpet mushrooms and black truffle/peppercorn/cabernet demi glace - '04 Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages

It was a very nice night.....
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
Last night at a "winemaker" dinner at the club:

Organic Micro Greens with crispy duck confit, carmelized peach vinaigrette and candied pecan crusted chevre - '06 Beringer Alluvium Blanc

Limoncello spiked day boat scallops carpaccio with popcorn sprouts - '06 Greg Norman Australian Estates Chardonnay

Juniper berry and merlot infused venison chop with grilled curry basil carrots - '04 St. Clement Merlot

Applewood bacon wrapped "Snake River Farms American Kobe Beef Steak" with asparagus stuffed royal trumpet mushrooms and black truffle/peppercorn/cabernet demi glace - '04 Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages

It was a very nice night.....
Sounds awesome!
Had some friends over last night, pan roasted prime rib eye steaks (FYI, they usually have prime beef at Costco if you ask the butcher) finished with a little clarified butter, sautéed mushrooms and a potato and cheddar gratin with some diced jalapeno. Mixed berry tart for desert.

Friend brought over the 2004 Clos Apalta (nice wine, good match with the steaks, needs way more time) and the 2005 Casa Lapostolle Cab Cuvee Alex. (ok for the price, a little to much sugar for me).

Add Reply

Likes (0)