The season starts Monday.
The league and the players have agreed to a rule change which is designed to speed up the games. When a fielding team desires to walk a batter intentionally, it will be permissible to simply so indicate to the home team umpire, and the batter will be sent to first, rather taking the time to lob 4 pitches outside.
Last season, there were 932 intentional walks- an average of 0.38 per game. So, in around 62% of the games it won't matter. In the games where there is an intentional walk, this will save perhaps 45 seconds to a minute.
Put another way, the game has been shortened by about 1.5 pitches per game.
Talk about incremental.
Original Post
Season starts on Sunday. I'm excited to see the new kids on the field - Bird, Judge, and Sanchez - for the Yankees. Starters are suspect outside of Tanaka. Probably another .500 season.
I like the Cubs team a little better this year than last. Lost Chapman, Fowler and Hammel; but, they added Wade Davis and will have a full season of Schwarber (only played 1 game) and Wilson Contreras (mid season callup). Plus all their young players are still improving.

VM
Love this time of year. Getting close to NBA playoffs, golf is heating up with the Masters and baseball is starting.

I like the Dodgers team right now with a good mix of vets and young guys. It will come down to pitching again and while they have depth there is a lot of questions behind Kersh.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
I like the Cubs team a little better this year than last. Lost Chapman, Fowler and Hammel; but, they added Wade Davis and will have a full season of Schwarber (only played 1 game) and Wilson Contreras (mid season callup). Plus all their young players are still improving.

VM


Davis scares me right now as does Rondon, hopefully Almora can hit a bit and JHey has a bounce-back year.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
The season starts Monday.
The league and the players have agreed to a rule change which is designed to speed up the games. When a fielding team desires to walk a batter intentionally, it will be permissible to simply so indicate to the home team umpire, and the batter will be sent to first, rather taking the time to lob 4 pitches outside.
Last season, there were 932 intentional walks- an average of 0.38 per game. So, in around 62% of the games it won't matter. In the games where there is an intentional walk, this will save perhaps 45 seconds to a minute.
Put another way, the game has been shortened by about 1.5 pitches per game.
Talk about incremental.

I cannot let your math slide. If there was an average of 0.38 intentional walks per game then the chances that fewer than 75% of games had no intentional walks is very low; as games surely occurred with two or more intentional walks.

Carry on...
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
The season starts Monday.
The league and the players have agreed to a rule change which is designed to speed up the games. When a fielding team desires to walk a batter intentionally, it will be permissible to simply so indicate to the home team umpire, and the batter will be sent to first, rather taking the time to lob 4 pitches outside.
Last season, there were 932 intentional walks- an average of 0.38 per game. So, in around 62% of the games it won't matter. In the games where there is an intentional walk, this will save perhaps 45 seconds to a minute.
Put another way, the game has been shortened by about 1.5 pitches per game.
Talk about incremental.

I cannot let your math slide. If there was an average of 0.38 intentional walks per game then the chances that fewer than 75% of games had no intentional walks is very low; as games surely occurred with two or more intentional walks.

Carry on...


You're probably right.
I like my Cubs to win their division. Cardinals might be lacking a bit of pitching. I think this could be the year Seattle breaks its playoff drought. If I had to pick the World Series winner right now, I guess I'd go with Cubs over Boston in 6.
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
I like my Cubs to win their division. Cardinals might be lacking a bit of pitching. I think this could be the year Seattle breaks its playoff drought. If I had to pick the World Series winner right now, I guess I'd go with Cubs over Boston in 6.


The Cubbies finally win one after 100+ years and their fans are already counting their rings...

CARDINAL NATION

Looking forward to seeing the new Braves stadium in a couple weeks.
Madison Bumgarner hit two HRs today in the opening game. First pitcher ever to do so in the history of major league baseball.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Madison Bumgarner hit two HRs today in the opening game. First pitcher ever to do so in the history of major league baseball.


On pace for 324 Eek

The Indians are loaded again, if they stay healthy I'm hoping they win it all this year.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Madison Bumgarner hit two HRs today in the opening game. First pitcher ever to do so in the history of major league baseball.


Mad Bum will be seeing plenty of curves and sliders the rest of the year.

New season and yet it seems like it is still 2016. Go into the ninth with the lead and lose. No extras as Melancon gave up two in the ninth giving up 4 straight singles after getting the first two out. Ugly.

Go Giants.
quote:
Originally posted by Juicy:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Madison Bumgarner hit two HRs today in the opening game. First pitcher ever to do so in the history of major league baseball.


Mad Bum will be seeing plenty of curves and sliders the rest of the year.

New season and yet it seems like it is still 2016. Go into the ninth with the lead and lose. No extras as Melancon gave up two in the ninth giving up 4 straight singles after getting the first two out. Ugly.

Go Giants.


That's the thing about baseball. You have to throw strikes and get the other side out in order to win. Can't just run out the clock.
Orioles won their home opener against Toronto in extra innings. Two extra inning games against the Blue Jays in a row. First was the "playoff" game last year, which the O's played in Toronto and lost by a run in extra innings. Then, today in Baltimore they won it in the 11th.
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
Well, at least the Pads won't go 0-162.


They may be like Cespades era A's this year. I liked Schimpf, Renfro and Hedges out of the gate last year. I think 2/3 of those guys homered in their first game. Dickerson and Jankowski stepped up a lot when some of the big name talent with mediocre performances left. Myers seemed to tank after all-stars but he was impressive up till then. Heard good things about Margot. I don't know about that Bethancourt thing but whatever. And they won their second game against the Dodgers. Not too shabby. Last year was an awful start. Did they even score a run the first 4-6 weeks? They woke up once they got to Colorado but they were pitiful in the beggining. I have a feeling this is the beginning of something great. Smile
In the Texas vs. Cleveland three game series, a total of 35 runs were scored by the two teams.

Meanwhile, in the Orioles vs. Toronto two game series, a total of 9 runs were scored by the two teams.

Sometimes there is a lot of hitting. Sometimes a lot of pitching.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
In the Texas vs. Cleveland three game series, a total of 35 runs were scored by the two teams.

Meanwhile, in the Orioles vs. Toronto two game series, a total of 9 runs were scored by the two teams.

Sometimes there is a lot of hitting. Sometimes a lot of pitching.
.

Lindor makes up for earlier fielding error with a Grand Slam to win it for the Indians late. He truly is turning into a superstar, and this years Indians have the feel of the '95 team, who was never out of the game with their lineup.
Yankees are in deep yogurt. The #1 and #3 starters were ineffective, to say the least, and #4 and #5 are good AAA pitchers.
Looking forward to watching the Nats again this year. Should have great pitching and with Turner and Eaton running wild on the bases, and Harper looking like he is back in his MVP form, it will be fun. Remember they still won 95 games last year with off years from Harper (imagine, 24 HR, 86 RBIs, and 21 SB is an off year) and Zimmerman.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
Well, at least the Pads won't go 0-162.


They may be like Cespades era A's this year. I liked Schimpf, Renfro and Hedges out of the gate last year. I think 2/3 of those guys homered in their first game. Dickerson and Jankowski stepped up a lot when some of the big name talent with mediocre performances left. Myers seemed to tank after all-stars but he was impressive up till then. Heard good things about Margot. I don't know about that Bethancourt thing but whatever. And they won their second game against the Dodgers. Not too shabby. Last year was an awful start. Did they even score a run the first 4-6 weeks? They woke up once they got to Colorado but they were pitiful in the beggining. I have a feeling this is the beginning of something great. Smile


Hmmm. I know it's early, but you might want to rethink that. Not looking so good after the first series.
quote:
Originally posted by dinwiddie:
Looking forward to watching the Nats again this year. Should have great pitching and with Turner and Eaton running wild on the bases, and Harper looking like he is back in his MVP form, it will be fun. Remember they still won 95 games last year with off years from Harper (imagine, 24 HR, 86 RBIs, and 21 SB is an off year) and Zimmerman.


Bullpen is suspect. Last night was a good example. Otherwise, I agree with you.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Go ahead, Irwin, I can take it! Razz

It's a long season, but these two comeback wins against the Yankees do make me feel better than if the Orioles had lost.
Meanwhile, the O's are 4-0. Three games were one run games and one was a two run game.
Should be nice weather tomorrow anyway.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Not watching, don't care. MLB lost my interest a number of years ago


I don't watch but I keep track.

It's tough to get 6 1/2 hours free to watch a game on the telly!
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Go ahead, Irwin, I can take it! Razz

It's a long season, but these two comeback wins against the Yankees do make me feel better than if the Orioles had lost.
Meanwhile, the O's are 4-0. Three games were one run games and one was a two run game.
Should be nice weather tomorrow anyway.


Your truth, man Smile
Yankees are 2-4 and they're losing one run games. With their bullpen, that's not supposed to happen. Hoping for a better than .500 season with no aspirations of much more. This is the season to develop the Baby Bombers.
As is 4-4. Babt Bombers playing well now, but I have no illusions they're in the same class as the best teams...yet. Crippling injuries so far and Gardner may be headed to the DL after a collision today.
Close game, but after a 1-4 start, Baby Bombers are 7-4. Much better than I expected, but still a small sampling.
Orioles have a rookie, Trey Mancini, who has 7 home runs so far this season. But, Zach Britton, closer, is now on the DL. Frown
When is OK to start being excited that a potential 85-88 win team might be much better than that? What sample size is needed? I figure two months. How about you, Irwin? It's nice sharing first place with you.
I think a good sample of 162 games is about 50.
Doesn't mean you can't improve dramatically or hit a tailspin.
Meanwhile, both your Yankees and my O's are looking bad this evening.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
I think a good sample of 162 games is about 50.
Doesn't mean you can't improve dramatically or hit a tailspin.
Meanwhile, both your Yankees and my O's are looking bad this evening.


Not to mention the Cubs. Eek
Chris Sale is unbelievable. I think he pitched 8 innings, just over 100 pitches and i think only 20 were balls. Made the jays look silly.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
Made the jays look silly.

So far this season the Jay don't need much help in that department.
Madison Bumgarner was placed on the DL yesterday.
He's 0-3 this year, but has only gotten 5 runs of support in his first 4 starts. Anyway, he sustained an injury to his pitching shoulder in a dirt bike accident. Had bruised ribs too.
You're paying a guy millions of bucks and he does this. Sheesh.
In 2002 Giant 2nd baseman Jeff Kent broke his left wrist during spring training doing a "wheelie" on a motorcycle. In 2011, Giant's pitcher Jeremy Affeldt went on the DL, sustaining an injury when trying to catch his kid who jumped off a couch to greet him. After he got off the DL, he sliced his hand while separating frozen hamburgers at a barbecue.

Giants are sort of snake bit in the injury department.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Madison Bumgarner was placed on the DL yesterday.


He should be fined his pay for the whole time he is on the DL. He had no real right to go mountainbiking and put himself at risk for such an injury. Players have a responsibility to refrain from activities with a real possibility of injuries.
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
Well, at least the Pads won't go 0-162.


They may be like Cespades era A's this year. I liked Schimpf, Renfro and Hedges out of the gate last year. I think 2/3 of those guys homered in their first game. Dickerson and Jankowski stepped up a lot when some of the big name talent with mediocre performances left. Myers seemed to tank after all-stars but he was impressive up till then. Heard good things about Margot. I don't know about that Bethancourt thing but whatever. And they won their second game against the Dodgers. Not too shabby. Last year was an awful start. Did they even score a run the first 4-6 weeks? They woke up once they got to Colorado but they were pitiful in the beggining. I have a feeling this is the beginning of something great. Smile


Hmmm. I know it's early, but you might want to rethink that. Not looking so good after the first series.


I know there is 140+ games to go but I still feel optimistic. Not saying the World Series is in the bag or anything but I think this team will improve over the course of the season.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
Well, at least the Pads won't go 0-162.


They may be like Cespades era A's this year. I liked Schimpf, Renfro and Hedges out of the gate last year. I think 2/3 of those guys homered in their first game. Dickerson and Jankowski stepped up a lot when some of the big name talent with mediocre performances left. Myers seemed to tank after all-stars but he was impressive up till then. Heard good things about Margot. I don't know about that Bethancourt thing but whatever. And they won their second game against the Dodgers. Not too shabby. Last year was an awful start. Did they even score a run the first 4-6 weeks? They woke up once they got to Colorado but they were pitiful in the beggining. I have a feeling this is the beginning of something great. Smile


Hmmm. I know it's early, but you might want to rethink that. Not looking so good after the first series.


I know there is 140+ games to go but I still feel optimistic. Not saying the World Series is in the bag or anything but I think this team will improve over the course of the season.


They've got some nice, young position players in the majors right now. I think their farm system is light in position players (to be expected when you've brought up so many good ones of late), but they have good pitching prospects in the minors. Don't know how far off they are, but like you said they're likely not going to WS this year so no reason to rush them. Definitely a team that will be very competitive in a couple of years.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Madison Bumgarner was placed on the DL yesterday.


He should be fined his pay for the whole time he is on the DL. He had no real right to go mountainbiking and put himself at risk for such an injury. Players have a responsibility to refrain from activities with a real possibility of injuries.


Like taking the ball on the short rest so consistently one pitcher throws a third of a teams innings in a world series? Giants would complete frauds if they did anything to him. He is a stud on a very team friendly deal who has shown a willingness to put the team above himself and his long term future. SF is doing the right thing by doing nothing.
In last night's Oriole game, one of the opposing players hit what appeared to be a bases loaded double down the right field line. It was initially called "fair" by the closest umpire. The Orioles challenged the call because it landed in foul territory, based on the clear divot in the dirt on the foul side of the line.
However, the call was upheld on the grounds that the camera wasn't close enough to see if any chalk was kicked up. They don't have cameras for down the line calls.
Technology is really good, but only if it is used properly.
The Orioles came back to win anyway.
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Madison Bumgarner was placed on the DL yesterday.


He should be fined his pay for the whole time he is on the DL. He had no real right to go mountainbiking and put himself at risk for such an injury. Players have a responsibility to refrain from activities with a real possibility of injuries.


Like taking the ball on the short rest so consistently one pitcher throws a third of a teams innings in a world series? Giants would complete frauds if they did anything to him. He is a stud on a very team friendly deal who has shown a willingness to put the team above himself and his long term future. SF is doing the right thing by doing nothing.


Well, we disagree. He most definitely did not put the team above himself when he went mountainbiking during baseball season. He's costing the team dearly and should shoulder the burden.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Madison Bumgarner was placed on the DL yesterday.


He should be fined his pay for the whole time he is on the DL. He had no real right to go mountainbiking and put himself at risk for such an injury. Players have a responsibility to refrain from activities with a real possibility of injuries.


Like taking the ball on the short rest so consistently one pitcher throws a third of a teams innings in a world series? Giants would complete frauds if they did anything to him. He is a stud on a very team friendly deal who has shown a willingness to put the team above himself and his long term future. SF is doing the right thing by doing nothing.


Well, we disagree. He most definitely did not put the team above himself when he went mountainbiking during baseball season. He's costing the team dearly and should shoulder the burden.


That's fine and a lot of people think like that but if the Giants did that, come playoff time it would be real easy for him to say Im only taking the ball every 5 days. Cant risk any injury that would affect my future earning power. To me, doing this would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Great duel tonight between Tanaka and Sale. Irwin's boys coming to the Stadium with first place as the prize.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Great duel tonight between Tanaka and Sale. Irwin's boys coming to the Stadium with first place as the prize.



Gausman tonight for the Orioles. He brings his 7.50 ERA into Yankee stadium to face Sabathia.
uh oh. We'll be out for dinner at a local Greek place. I may need some Retsina to make it through the game.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
The Nationals are playing pretty well. Nice road trip.

PH


Thanks to the recent Colorado Rockies series, the Nationals currently lead the MLB in wins, runs, RBIs, batting average, on base average and slugging average but are next to last in relief ERA (6.18)
I enjoy watching baseball again. There was a great pitching duel between Tanaka and Sale last night. I have Sale on my rotisserie team. Win-win for me.
I missed the festivities last night but watching the replay now. It is early, but there are a lot of positive signs for the Yanks.
I don't know how long this will last, but I'm loving it. These Baby Bombers continue to impress and should continue to improve.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I don't know how long this will last, but I'm loving it. These Baby Bombers continue to impress and should continue to improve.


arghh.
Right now the Yankees have the best record in baseball, but it's early. Irwin, if your guys beat the Yankees rookie pitcher, we're tied for first. I can live with that. Can you?
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Right now the Yankees have the best record in baseball


Uh... no. Razz In the AL, yes.

PH
today's game was excruciating. I kept turning it off thinking the Orioles were done for.
Miley started for the Orioles and gave up 8 hits and 5 walks in 5 innings, and yet, stood to get the win had the Yankees not tied it in the 9th. They almost lost in the 9th, but a guy beat a double play throw to first by a millisecond.
Then, the Yankees came within inches of winning it in the 10th.
Orioles were lucky to escape with the win.
So, yes, the Orioles and Yankees are tied for 1st, both being 15-8. The Yankees have outscored their opponents cumulatively by 43 runs, while the Orioles have outscored their opponents by a single run.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Right now the Yankees have the best record in baseball


Uh... no. Razz In the AL, yes.

PH


The Nationals... Rendon gets 10 RBI's today and goes 6 for 6, thus raising his batting average to .278 He had 15 RBI's for the season.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
today's game was excruciating. I kept turning it off thinking the Orioles were done for.


And you call yourself a fan? I watched the Yankees and went to their games and rooted for them in 1991 when they were the worst team in baseball. That's what a fan does.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
today's game was excruciating. I kept turning it off thinking the Orioles were done for.


And you call yourself a fan? I watched the Yankees and went to their games and rooted for them in 1991 when they were the worst team in baseball. That's what a fan does.


I'm a fan. But I hate disaster.
Going into the game April 30 vs the Mets, Anthony Rendon was not having a good year batting. He was batting .226 with no HRs, one double (0.238 slugging) and 5 RBIs.

In a 23-5 victory over the Mets, Rendon got 6 hits including 3 HRs and one double and 10 RBIs. The double came within a few feet of being a HR and if that had cleared the fence he would have been the first player to hit a solo, two run, three run and grand slam in the same game. Prior to this game, Rendon had not had a multi homer game in the 4+ years he has been in the MLB although he has had a 20 HR year and a 21 HR year before.


Metric Before game: After game:

BA .226 .278
Slugging .238 .411
RBIs 5 15
HRs 0 3
I'm more worried about Chris Sale at Fenway tonight. He strikes out a lot of hitters, and the Orioles strike out alot. His ERA is really good.
Orioles lost. Sale threw behind Machado's knees in the first inning, getting a "warning". Sale struck out around 11 or 12 Orioles. His control was superb. Thus, the throw behind Machado's knees was a calculated and illegal pitch.
The umpires did nothing.
Baseball is not football or hockey or boxing.
Let's get back to playing the sport, and not assaulting a fellow human being by throwing a 97 miles an hour baseball, from 60'6" away.
Two more games against the Red Sox this week.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Baseball is not hockey

Damn right. Hockey is not a sleep aid.


They both suck compared to NBA right now.

That being said, Indians in first place in the AL Central right now Smile
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Orioles lost. Sale threw behind Machado's knees in the first inning, getting a "warning". Sale struck out around 11 or 12 Orioles. His control was superb. Thus, the throw behind Machado's knees was a calculated and illegal pitch.
The umpires did nothing.
Baseball is not football or hockey or boxing.
Let's get back to playing the sport, and not assaulting a fellow human being by throwing a 97 miles an hour baseball, from 60'6" away.
Two more games against the Red Sox this week.


I was impressed that the Red Sox fans stood for Adam Jones.
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
Watching the Yankees and Jays right now. This Aaron Judge kid is kind of good.


It's exciting watching him. He was AL Rookie of the Month for April, leads the majors in home runs, and is batting .330. I know it's early and a small sampling size, but those are Mantle-type numbers.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
Watching the Yankees and Jays right now. This Aaron Judge kid is kind of good.


It's exciting watching him. He was AL Rookie of the Month for April, leads the majors in home runs, and is batting .330. I know it's early and a small sampling size, but those are Mantle-type numbers.


I'm sure he'll regress given the age, but it looks so effortless. That's the most impressive thing to me anyway.
quite an exciting end to the Yankee game.

Meanwhile, the Orioles closer, Zach Britton, just off the DL, has re-experienced forearm issues, and may be headed back to the DL. This, as the Orioles have 19 games in the next 20 days, all against teams with above .500 records except one series. The pitching is depleted-- Wiley got hit with two line drives in the first inning last night and had to come out. Long relief working hard due to that and due to the stupid ejection of Gausman who hit a batter up in Boston on a 70 mph curve ball. He got
tossed and Chris Sale, who threw at Machado on purpose didn't.
Last night's game featured two pitchers from the Dominican Republic named Ynoa.
It's an exciting time for Yankee fans, and they're just getting healthy with the starting catcher and shortstop returning this week. The young guys should be improving, though it's hard to see how Aaron Judge, hitting .337 and leading the majors in HRs, could get any better.

And Irwin, I want to watch when the Orioles and Red Sox play again in early June.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Cubs-Yankees series this weekend. Should be a good one.

13+ innings and still going after Chapman blew a 3-run lead. A pretty good series for the Yanks.
I stayed up until 2:15 when the game ended. Yankees won on a fielder's choice. They have the best record in baseball, at least until today's games. They desperately need innings from Tanaka tonight.
Excluding pitchers and pinch-hitters, last night's Cubs-Yanks game had 4 players go o-fer - Castro (0 for 8), Gregorius (0 for 8), Romine (0 for 7), and Russell (0 for 6). Eek The Golden Sombrero is a term given to a player who goes 0 for 5. Someone needs to come up with a new word for these guys.
Ah, you're right.

And there were actually 5 players who went 0-fer. Headley was 0 for 7 and actually was the only one wearing the Golden Sombrero.
the two teams had 48 or so strikeouts over 6 innings.
quite something. An 18 inning game really stresses your pitching staff. A rule change calling a tie game after, say, 12 innings, might not be a bad thing. (I am prepared to get flamed here)
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
An 18 inning game really stresses your pitching staff. A rule change calling a tie game after, say, 12 innings, might not be a bad thing. (I am prepared to get flamed here)


I'm not quite prepared to commit to a rule change, but this series will certainly stress the Cubs' staff that was already stressed coming into this series. They desperately need their starters to eat some quality innings for the next week or so in order to get the bullpen back in shape.
Couldn't stay up long enough to see the ending of the Orioles/Nationals game last night. It was an incredible performance by both starters. Nats' relief pitching gives me tsuris...

PH
Hottest ticket in town today: Derek Jeter Day at Yankee Stadium. The added bonus is that the rained-out Saturday game will be played today as part of double-header. Saturday's game ticket holders cannot attend today's game.
I'm watching the MLB and Yankee games tonight, and I am dumbfounded at the infielders' attempts to apply a tag on a baserunner. In three cases, the ball has beaten the runner to the bag by a wide margin. Instead of placing their glove in front of the bag, the infielder tries to apply the tag on the upper body. Frustrating to watch at the lack of fundamentals.
When the Yankees started winning, I was cautiously optimistic but felt that a few weeks were not enough of a sampling to base great optimism upon. I figured it would take two good months and now that we approaching the two month mark, I think these Baby Bombers have the staying power to make the playoffs. Chapman out for a month will be a real test.
I'm now expecting a tight race in the AL East. Baltimore and the Yankees look very good and Boston will be there at the end. I'd love to see Tampa in the mix too.
I hope you are right Board-O [about my Orioles]. But, they are hurting right now. They lead the league in blowing 3 run leads. They have lost their last 6 one run games. The relief pitching stinks. Britton on DL for around another month or more.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I'm now expecting a tight race in the AL East. Baltimore and the Yankees look very good and Boston will be there at the end. I'd love to see Tampa in the mix too.


I don't know, Board-O. The Orioles have lost 10 of their prior 13 games, and 7 of those were by one run. Their relief pitching is terrible.
Their starting pitching is spotty.
They now go to Houston for a series against a team that is smokin' hot.
Oh dear.
Every team goes through hot and cold streaks. Yankees and Orioles have cooled off but have the talent to succeed. Chapman out for a month but Betances is closing well- 0.57 ERA and 2 strikeouts per inning. Last night he pitched the ninth- 3 strikeouts on 13 pitches. Fastball 99 and 100 mph.
It's too bad Hunter Strickland doesn't ever have to bat. Wonder how he would feel about a 97 mph fastball in the ass.

I think the most telling thing about that brawl is that Posey just stood there. Even he thought it was beyond the pale.
While it was great seeing the Yankees hit four homeruns in the 8th inning (so far), I couldn't help but feel sorry for Jason Grilli, a veteran pitcher who hasn't been pitching well this year.
How about Scooter Gennett?
Yesterday he was 5 for 5. Hit 4 HRs, got 10 RBI's for Cincinnati. It was a home game. And, Scooter was born in Cincinnati!
He was claimed off waivers in March.
When the Yankees started to play well, I felt it was enough of a sample size to get excited and that two months would be a better indicator. Now I'm excited, and Chapman should be off the DL fairly soon. No hurry to get Ellsbury back though. Yankees just need a third baseman. Irwin, are you going to re-sign Machado?
Great time to be a Yankee fan. Putting a big hurt on the Orioles again (5 runs in the first after 16 yesterday). Sanchez is getting hot and lots of young talent in the Minors. Didn't think it would happen this quickly, but Cashman has done a great job rebuilding the team. Now if Tanaka can only get straightened out.
quote:
Originally posted by Arsenal4ever:
Great time to be a Yankee fan. Putting a big hurt on the Orioles again (5 runs in the first after 16 yesterday). Sanchez is getting hot and lots of young talent in the Minors. Didn't think it would happen this quickly, but Cashman has done a great job rebuilding the team. Now if Tanaka can only get straightened out.

+1
The Yankees have scored 10 runs or more 10 times this year.
Not including today's game:
The Yankees are 36-23, having outscored their opponents by 104 runs.
The Orioles are 31-29, and are 5.5 games back. They have been outscored by their opponents by 29 runs.
It looks like today's game fits that pattern.
The Nationals' Max Scherzer is just a pleasure to watch. He didn't have his best stuff last night, and even plonked a couple of batters. He adjusted on the fly to go 8 solid innings. 10+ strikeouts for the 5th straight start.

If only this team can find a solid, mature closer and a little mid-relief, they should be a force to contend with.

PH
Orioles pitchers tied a major league record last night that has stood since 1924.
They have failed to hold the opposition to fewer than 5 runs for 20 games in a row.

Performances like this I could do without. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Orioles pitchers tied a major league record last night that has stood since 1924.
They have failed to hold the opposition to fewer than 5 runs for 20 games in a row.

Performances like this I could do without. Frown


Wow! That's horrible for you. How many of those 20 did they win?
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Orioles pitchers tied a major league record last night that has stood since 1924.
They have failed to hold the opposition to fewer than 5 runs for 20 games in a row.

Performances like this I could do without. Frown


Wow! That's horrible for you. How many of those 20 did they win?

Excellent question. They were 6-14 in those games
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
The Nationals' Max Scherzer is just a pleasure to watch. He didn't have his best stuff last night, and even plonked a couple of batters. He adjusted on the fly to go 8 solid innings. 10+ strikeouts for the 5th straight start.

If only this team can find a solid, mature closer and a little mid-relief, they should be a force to contend with.

PH



Melancon may be available soon although the Nats may not want him back. Giants have been done for awhile. Play-offs every even year continues. This year got terrible quickly.

Go Giants.
quote:
Originally posted by Juicy:
Melancon may be available soon although the Nats may not want him back. Giants have been done for awhile. Play-offs every even year continues. This year got terrible quickly.

Go Giants.


Not sure how he did this year, but he was good for us last year. I guess $$ will be the determinant.

PH
last night's game between the Cubs and the Nationals.....
The Nationals had around 7 stolen bases off Jake Arietta. After the game, the Cubs back up catcher, who was in the game, criticized Arietta for having a slow delivery. The back up catcher was cut after making these remarks.
Not sure what his salary was, but he made around $14 million in 2016.

Who said speech is free?
Last edited by irwin
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
last night's game between the Cubs and the Nationals.....
The Nationals had around 7 stolen bases off Jake Arietta. After the game, the Cubs back up catcher, who was in the game, criticized Arietta for having a slow delivery. The back up catcher was cut after making these remarks.
Not sure what his salary was, but he made around $14 million in 2016.

Who said speech is free?

Not his first incident popping off. He whined about his playing time the morning of the World Series parade.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Unless the Yankees remember how to play baseball, this is looking like anybody can take the division.

True..it is turning into a very evenly matched division, which I suppose will mean that someone will win the division, but there probably will be no wild card from the AL East. I guess.
Dodgers have been rolling along. Seems they have a great group of guys and everyone is having fun.

Hope they add a better situational lefty but other than that I think they could go really far this year.
HR derby was a blast. Stinks the two Marlins got matched up with the only people who outhit them in the entire first rd. Judge/Bour was fantastic.
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
HR derby was a blast. Stinks the two Marlins got matched up with the only people who outhit them in the entire first rd. Judge/Bour was fantastic.

They are boring to watch on TV but looks like a lot of fun at the stadium. Judge makes Stanton look like a teenager next to him.
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
HR derby was a blast. Stinks the two Marlins got matched up with the only people who outhit them in the entire first rd. Judge/Bour was fantastic.


Gee, I enjoyed it.
The Nationals limped into the break with a 9.5 game lead in our lousy division. On the DL, Trea Turner, Adam Eaton, Jason Werth, Michael A. Taylor and a couple decent pitchers.

If this team gets healthy and can find some help in the bullpen, I like our chances for a long run. If we don't get relief help, we're toast.

PH
Today will go a long way toward determining the Yankees fortunes. A doubleheader after a 16 inning game. Castro and Holiday are back. Time to resume their winning ways. 8-19 ain't gonna cut the mustard.
Don't worry - if the Pads get anyone decent, they'll trade him for more prospects. As someone who grew up with them, and sat through many games at the Murph, the Pads are Oakland South when it comes to developing and keeping talent.
quote:
Originally posted by Arsenal4ever:
Don't worry - if the Pads get anyone decent, they'll trade him for more prospects. As someone who grew up with them, and sat through many games at the Murph, the Pads are Oakland South when it comes to developing and keeping talent.


They traded Buchter, damn. I was really starting to like Between 2 Bases. Mad
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
I'm more hoping for the astros or nationals of the west.


I'd like an early 70s Oakland. Smile
Yankees actually ahead of Boston in the loss column, though 1 game back overall. This will be a good pennant race.
Sad to say, but my beloved Orioles are totally out of it. The starting pitching is just horrendous.
Two Grand Slams for the Indians last night, who may be turning the corner. Get to see them live next Friday take down the hated Yankees
Went to the Cubs game on Saturday and saw them beat the Cards. I estimate I've seen about 25 Cubs games at Wrigley and have only seen them lose once. And a good portion of those games were when the Cubs sucked.
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
Get to see them live next Friday take down the hated Yankees


You sure do hate a lot.

Yankees a game out.
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
Two Grand Slams for the Indians last night, who may be turning the corner. Get to see them live next Friday take down the hated Yankees

Should be a good series
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
Originally posted by sarbuze:
Ya Patespo, you are the source of all the hate for the yankees, you hater...

Yankees

Yankees

Yankees

Yankees


Everyone outside of NY (and Mets fans in NY), hate [s] the Yankees Roll Eyes

Looks like someone is fixated on me...


You got that backwards, stalker.
You got that wrong patespo ... it is just no one thinks the Indians (or the Browns) exists outside of Cleveland
As one who has seen the Yanks play many games in Oakland, Anaheim, Dallas, and KC, their fans are legion. Winning as much as they have (27 and counting), you would think everyone would hate them, but that's definitely not true. Also, if you travel to Europe, their logo is the only one you see of all American sports. I counted 17 hats and 6 shirts during a two week trip to Provence in June.
I have hated the Yankees since I started watching baseball in the late 1950's. I was actually happy when the Red Sox won the series after so many years. However, my dislike of the Yankees has waned, and my dislike of the Red Sox has increased, the latter supplanting the Yankees as my least favorite team. I actually don't mind the Yankees that much anymore.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Yanks pick up Sonny Gray - a solid pitcher who can be a #2 or #3. Smile


As an A's fan, I'll amend that statement and say that he can be a #1. He was hurt coming into the year, and now he's back on track. If he had an offense that wasn't a bunch of rookies combined with a bunch of cheap veterans that no one else wanted to sign, his record would be amazing. He's a stud.

I remember arguing with an old college buddy who was an A's fan, then switched to the dark side (Giants). His kid was wearing Giants world series gear, and I told him that he was a crap fan. He told me that there was no way he'd let his son grow up having to deal with the agony of cheering for these awesome prospects for a year or two, just to watch the A's trade them away to the Yanks or the Dodgers, etc. I'm starting to get it.
I'm very optimistic about the Yankees. Now they just have to teach Judge when (and when not) and how to swing at a low outside slider.
quote:
Originally posted by Azwiese:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Yanks pick up Sonny Gray - a solid pitcher who can be a #2 or #3. Smile


As an A's fan, I'll amend that statement and say that he can be a #1.

I hope you're right!
Sat behind the Indians dugout last night and Watched them pound the hated Yankees . They held Judge in check, but man that guy was mashing the ball during BP
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
Sat behind the Indians dugout last night and Watched them pound the hated Yankees . They held Judge in check, but man that guy was mashing the ball during BP


And the Yankees just made two major trades that were supposed to solidify the team. Frown
Baseball is a funny game. The Yankees retook 1st place during a Red Sox swoon, but now, suddenly, the Red Sox won 5 in a row and are three up.

The Rockies and the Nationals have each won 64 games. But the Nats are in first place in the East division, 13 games ahead of the Marlins, and the Rockies are in third place in the West, 14.5 games behind the Dodgers.
Yankee Aaron Judge may well win Rookie of the Year. He is a great player.
He set the record on Saturday by striking out in 36 consecutive games. He struck out Sunday to extend the record to 37.
The Detroit Tigers are long overdue to fire Brad Ausmus. Do it now, please. Season is toast already and with a payroll like they have the manager has to go.
So Rich Hill has a perfect game through 8, a no-hitter through nine, and loses the game on a walk-off HR in the bottom of the tenth. Got to be a first.
quote:
Originally posted by dinwiddie:
So Rich Hill has a perfect game through 8, a no-hitter through nine, and loses the game on a walk-off HR in the bottom of the tenth. Got to be a first.

It's not
Washington Nationals have been playing games with less than half their starting position players for a long time now, and doing pretty damn well.

Dusty Baker will have some hard decisions to make when his starters begin returning to the lineup. Some of the bench guys who were called on to fill in have been doing incredible stuff.

Looks like we now have a serviceable bullpen to take us through the end of the year. Could be a fun ride!

PH
Today's Yankee-Tiger game was marked by four hit batters (one unintentionally hit in the helmet), one pitch thrown behind a batter, and three brawls. There will be suspensions and fines aplenty.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Today's Yankee-Tiger game was marked by four hit batters (one unintentionally hit in the helmet), one pitch thrown behind a batter, and three brawls. There will be suspensions and fines aplenty.


And, Detroit is 16 games below .500, and totally out of post season contention. So, I wonder what would cause these two teams to fight?
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Well, that was helpful! :laugh cry:

How about filling in the blank(s) Board-O?

PH


And you call yourself a baseball fan!



Seems from the story that it was a walk off double.

I think the batter hit a HR to break up the no hitter and win the game but he passed the runner in front of him rounding the bases so he was awarded a double.

VM
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Today's Yankee-Tiger game was marked by four hit batters (one unintentionally hit in the helmet), one pitch thrown behind a batter, and three brawls. There will be suspensions and fines aplenty.


And, Detroit is 16 games below .500, and totally out of post season contention. So, I wonder what would cause these two teams to fight?


Deep seated hatred between the two teams going back a long time. Complete frustration on the Tigers team with their pitiful performance this season, even to the point where it seems Justin Verlander and Victor Martinez don't like each other.

Have I mentioned Brad Ausmus should be fired?
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Today's Yankee-Tiger game was marked by four hit batters (one unintentionally hit in the helmet), one pitch thrown behind a batter, and three brawls. There will be suspensions and fines aplenty.


And, Detroit is 16 games below .500, and totally out of post season contention. So, I wonder what would cause these two teams to fight?


Deep seated hatred between the two teams going back a long time. Complete frustration on the Tigers team with their pitiful performance this season, even to the point where it seems Justin Verlander and Victor Martinez don't like each other.

Have I mentioned Brad Ausmus should be fired?

I don't think there was deep-seated hatred between them. There is now. The Tigers have eliminated the Yankees from the playoffs (twice, I think) but I don't remember bad blood between them. I will be sure to watch their first game next Spring.
I think there has always been a strong rivalry between them going back to when they were both in the AL East. Tigers fans hate the Wankees. They are to baseball what Manchester United is to English football and what the Montreal Canadians are to hockey. Smile
If both Yankee catchers get suspended, I would guess that one will file an appeal while the other will serve the suspension and then, when the 1st suspension is over, the 2nd guy will drop the appeal. Would be a way around having both gone at the same time.