I always feel sorry for a team when it's eliminated, even if the Yankees won. When a team fights all year with enough success to make the playoffs and loses the dream of the World Series, it's got to be crushing.
They do lose every once in a while. 27 World Series titles bring out the haters, and Yankee fans love it. Yankees don't kneel.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I always feel sorry for a team when it's eliminated, even if the Yankees won. When a team fights all year with enough success to make the playoffs and loses the dream of the World Series, it's got to be crushing.

Agreed.
I thought the decision to send Altuve home was stupid. If he stops at 3rd, you have second and third with one out, and your number 4 hitter up.
But, they send him... Throw beats him by a lot, but the catcher doesn't catch the ball cleanly, and the rest is history.
So, it worked out for the Astros.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Kershaw pulled after 5 innings? Frown

Clearly not an ace in postseason. Frown
Guy on third in a tie game with the best bullpen in baseball. I thought it was the right move to pinch hit for him in that situation. He didn’t have his best stuff last night but I thought it battled through it pretty well. Dodgers won which is all that matters in the end.
I did something last night I've never done before and that is watch the game and follow along on Twitter. It was quite an experience.

Now I am a diehard Yankee fan, but seeing the fanatical tweets was hysterical. Of course there were the typical "their strike zone is much larger than our strike zone" comments. My favorites were the number of people who were appalled by the little boy interfering with Judge on the home run. Hello, Yankee fans invented that move, remember Jeffery Maier? The pot calling the kettle black was the number of people who were disturbed by Astros fans shouting "Yankees Suck", again we invented the "Boston Sucks" chant. Me thinks the Millennial Yankee fans need to develop a bit thicker skin.
quote:
quote:
Verlander throws 93 strikes, not pitches, but strikes. Cool

He was terrific!

He was. It's a little painful to see him do that in an Astros uniform, but I hope they win the Series. He was a great Tiger and it could be worse...he could be wearing pinstripes.
quote:
Yankees are 5-0 at home this postseason

Whoa! When D and I left to head to the spa for a few hours the Yankees were trailing 0-4. Eek
quote:
Dodgers v Yankees would make TV executives very happy!

Yankee fans too!. If you want to get to and win the WS, you have to beat the best. If the Yankees can't beat either Keuchel or Verlander (or both) they don't deserve to be in the WS.
Now to try to solve Verlander, who they were able to beat with the Tigers, on occasion. I will put a 2005 Dom in the refrigerator, just in case.
Yankees have the look of a championship team. If they beat Cleveland, Houston and LA, it would be one of the greatest playoff runs ever.
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
Yankees have the look of a championship team. If they beat Cleveland, Houston and LA, it would be one of the greatest playoff runs ever.

That would have been improbable at the start of the playoffs but certainly not without precedent.
What is the point of having instant replay if you are not not permitted to use it on plays that could be fixed. Umpires got foul tip 3rd strike calls wrong twice in yesterdays Cubs game. Rizzo called out on strikes after he tipped the ball. Grandersons swing and miss on a 3rd strike wrongly called a foul tip. Neither play reviewable.

To make matters worse, earlier in the series, when instant replay was used to change the out at home call on the Contreras tag to a safe call, instant replay got it wrong. Disappointing.

Luckily, none of those calls changed the outcome of any game. My rant is over.

VM
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
What is the point of having instant replay if you are not not permitted to use it on plays that could be fixed. Umpires got foul tip 3rd strike calls wrong twice in yesterdays Cubs game. Rizzo called out on strikes after he tipped the ball. Grandersons swing and miss on a 3rd strike wrongly called a foul tip. Neither play reviewable.

To make matters worse, earlier in the series, when instant replay was used to change the out at home call on the Contreras tag to a safe call, instant replay got it wrong. Disappointing.

Luckily, none of those calls changed the outcome of any game. My rant is over.

VM

The same thing happened in Game 2 of the ALDS and a bad call cost the Yankees the game.
Nice close out by the Dodgers. Kersh was dominant and Kike with 3 bombs!

Dodgers go to the WS for the first time since I was 11 years old. I hope its against NY.
Thank God the Nationals got rid of Dusty Baker. Truly one of the worst managers I have ever seen to last as long as he did, with a multitude of front running teams he could never make the right calls with. Hopefully it will be the last time someone kicks the tires on him.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Thank God the Nationals got rid of Dusty Baker. Truly one of the worst managers I have ever seen to last as long as he did, with a multitude of front running teams he could never make the right calls with. Hopefully it will be the last time someone kicks the tires on him.

Liked Dusty personally, but not a huge fan of him as a manager, especially in the post season. My question is, who's on the market who's significantly better? I'm drawing blanks... Hope the Lerners and Rizzo have a plan, as opposed to a wing and a prayer.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Nice close out by the Dodgers. Kersh was dominant and Kike with 3 bombs!

Dodgers go to the WS for the first time since I was 11 years old. I hope its against NY.

Didn't see a pitch but glad to hear Kershaw pitched well.
I haven't watched many of the games, but the ones I have, the home plate umpires have been horrible on balls and strikes. MLB needs to ban the box that TV superimposes on the screen, as it shows how bad the calls have been on balls/ strikes. The game tonight has been especially bad.
Both teams have won every elimination game this year. That will change tonight. I have a bottle of Dom 2005 in the refrigerator. I sure hope I don't have to put it back in the cellar.
Another great pitching performance by Verlander last night. Not as good as game 2, but still solid. Too bad he couldn't pitch again tonight.
Congrats to the Astros. It was great to see the Yankees take the series to the max. They exceeded expectations this year. It will be an interesting offseason.
quote:
Both teams have won every elimination game this year. That will change tonight. I have a bottle of Dom 2005 in the refrigerator. I sure hope I don't have to put it back in the cellar.

Too bad about the 2017 Yankees and the 2005 Dom.
Hard to figure which was colder.......the Yankee bats or the Champagne.

Given their respective youths, there is some likelihood that both will be excellent next year.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.