quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
Stanton is single handedly trying to get the Marlins into the wildcard chase. He's having one hell of a season. Should get to 60 homers.

With the pitching staff the way it is...makes you wonder where they'd be if Fernandez was still with us...and Stanton had a year like this.
quote:
Conservative estimate would be 8 wins better, probably 10-12.

Jack you're such a stat guy, surely you know that kind of WAR is crazy.
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
quote:
Conservative estimate would be 8 wins better, probably 10-12.

Jack you're such a stat guy, surely you know that kind of WAR is crazy.

Their current 3rd/4th/5th guys are all have negative WAR. Fernandez had a 4.2 last year. So, even with the WAR stat, 5 more wins is possible..and I don't believe WAR would truly predict an alternate reality.
Twins won yesterday on a "walk off" hit by pitch in the bottom of the 9th. It is a game of inches, beyond cavil.
last night the Orioles won 1-0 in the 13th inning. Game featured several great catches and throws, including an out at the plate.
With all the uncertainty surrounding Cleveland basketball, nice to see the Indians playing well. (And with this year's probable Cy Young winner to cheer on.)
A game of inches.

LA Angels loaded the bases, down 7-3 in the ninth. Scored 3, loaded the bases again, and then lost.

The Orioles were 1 for 17 with men in scoring position, and their starter entered the game with an ERA over 7.5. His ERA got worse. Yet, the Orioles managed to win in extra innings.
The Orioles are now 12-2 in extra inning games and lead the majors in that statistic.
Only 1.5 games out of the wild card, and the dreaded Yankees come to town.
Yikes
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWindians! 16 in a row and counting

Let's just hope they remember how to do this next month.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWindians! 16 in a row and counting

Let's just hope they remember how to do this next month.

Agreed! 17 in a row today
A win by the Nationals vs Philadelphia combined with a win by Atlanta vs Miami gave the Nationals another Division championship.

It was somewhat of an anticlimax and, as the Atlanta victory was 90 minutes after Washington victory (it went into the 11th inning), the Nationals manager, Dusty Baker was taking a nap when the 'big moment' arrived.

The Nationals are, 88-55. Miami, in 2nd place is 68-75, which is a pretty sad record for a 2nd place team.
Yup! The NL East is a pretty sorry division, so this was expected. Now to keep focused on some more wins to get home field advantage for the playoff run. Only 4 behind the Dodgers right now.

The Nats played only one of their regular position players yesterday. This team has done a great job on player development. They are very deep in talent.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
The only streak that counts of course is in October.

Indeed, though 19 in a row after last night has been a lot of fun. Had to give up tickets for tonight's game, I'm kicking myself.
quote:
Kluber. Cy.

Edited to add: 69-56 ----> 100+ game win season?

Kluber, now 16-4 on the season, was dominant, and should win the Cy Young award this season.

20 in a row, still with multiple starters out. Such great chemistry on this team. Hope it holds up in the post season.
quote:
Chris Sale is having an excellent season as well.

Absolutely!

Also, Kluber has a better ERA, a better RA, a better WHIP, a better opponent batting average, more innings per start, the same number of wins despite starting 3 fewer games, a MUCH better win-loss percentage, 5 times as many complete games, 3 x infinity as many shutouts...
quote:
quote:
Chris Sale is having an excellent season as well.

Absolutely!

Also, Kluber has a better ERA, a better RA, a better WHIP, a better opponent batting average, more innings per start, the same number of wins despite starting 3 fewer games, a MUCH better win-loss percentage, 5 times as many complete games, 3 x infinity as many shutouts...

Don't let the stats get in the way of your Sale argument though DD! Big Grin
Kluber also faces the Kansas City and Chicago minor league teams more than Sale while Sale faces the beasts of the east.

Yup, so don't let stats and location color your sports glasses patespo. Smile
A 20 game win streak is extraordinary and is coming at the right time. After being proclaimed as one of the greatest teams ever, the Dodgers (I think) have lost 15 out of 16 games. Looking forward to the post season.
quote:
Kluber also faces the Kansas City and Chicago minor league teams more than Sale while Sale faces the beasts of the east.

Ha, Toronto, Tampa, and Baltimore are only Beasts to New Yorkers that think they are at the center of the universe.

Just hope your team makes the playoffs, and if they face the Indians, I'll be happy to take another Macdonald from you!
quote:
Just hope your team makes the playoffs, and if they face the Indians, I'll be happy to take another Macdonald from you!

That was a terrible bet.
quote:
quote:

Ha, Toronto, Tampa, and Baltimore are only Beasts to New Yorkers that think they are at the center of the universe.

BA / Runs Scored ranking:

NYY: 8/2
TB: 26/25
Bal: 5/14
TO: 29/26

Minn: 13/7
KC: 8/23
Det: 8/17
CWS: 15/24

East minus Bos and Central minus Cle are nearly identical in aggregate offensive prowess. FYI.
Anybody else remember the 2001 Seattle club that finished the season 116-46 and then fell 4-1 to the Yanks in the playoffs? Nothing matters in the regular season except getting into the playoffs. Indians have had a great run, but it doesn't matter one bit if they don't win the WS.
Of course, this type of performance is what we are aiming for next month and being the 1 seed means nothing if you don't use it to continually advance. But it is fun to watch.
quote:
Originally posted by Arsenal4ever:
Anybody else remember the 2001 Seattle club that finished the season 116-46 and then fell 4-1 to the Yanks in the playoffs? Nothing matters in the regular season except getting into the playoffs. Indians have had a great run, but it doesn't matter one bit if they don't win the WS.

Or, as Toby Harrah said, "bikinis and statistics are similar. They show a lot, but not everything."
Down to their last strike in the 9th the Indians tie it up and win it in the 10th. 22 in a row! It's not the post season, but this streak sure has been fun.
Last edited by patespo1
I actually turned off the Yankee game to watch the end of the Indians game. Very exciting! I'm not a fan of the term "team of destiny," but they sure do look like one.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I actually turned off the Yankee game to watch the end of the Indians game. Very exciting! I'm not a fan of the term "team of destiny," but they sure do look like one.

An awesome run, for sure. That said, the Dodgers looked like a team of destiny a few weeks back.

As many have said, all that matters is October.

PH

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.