quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
Watching the Yankees and Jays right now. This Aaron Judge kid is kind of good.

It's exciting watching him. He was AL Rookie of the Month for April, leads the majors in home runs, and is batting .330. I know it's early and a small sampling size, but those are Mantle-type numbers.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
Watching the Yankees and Jays right now. This Aaron Judge kid is kind of good.

It's exciting watching him. He was AL Rookie of the Month for April, leads the majors in home runs, and is batting .330. I know it's early and a small sampling size, but those are Mantle-type numbers.

I'm sure he'll regress given the age, but it looks so effortless. That's the most impressive thing to me anyway.
quite an exciting end to the Yankee game.

Meanwhile, the Orioles closer, Zach Britton, just off the DL, has re-experienced forearm issues, and may be headed back to the DL. This, as the Orioles have 19 games in the next 20 days, all against teams with above .500 records except one series. The pitching is depleted-- Wiley got hit with two line drives in the first inning last night and had to come out. Long relief working hard due to that and due to the stupid ejection of Gausman who hit a batter up in Boston on a 70 mph curve ball. He got
tossed and Chris Sale, who threw at Machado on purpose didn't.
Last night's game featured two pitchers from the Dominican Republic named Ynoa.
It's an exciting time for Yankee fans, and they're just getting healthy with the starting catcher and shortstop returning this week. The young guys should be improving, though it's hard to see how Aaron Judge, hitting .337 and leading the majors in HRs, could get any better.

And Irwin, I want to watch when the Orioles and Red Sox play again in early June.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Cubs-Yankees series this weekend. Should be a good one.

13+ innings and still going after Chapman blew a 3-run lead. A pretty good series for the Yanks.
I stayed up until 2:15 when the game ended. Yankees won on a fielder's choice. They have the best record in baseball, at least until today's games. They desperately need innings from Tanaka tonight.
Excluding pitchers and pinch-hitters, last night's Cubs-Yanks game had 4 players go o-fer - Castro (0 for 8), Gregorius (0 for 8), Romine (0 for 7), and Russell (0 for 6). Eek The Golden Sombrero is a term given to a player who goes 0 for 5. Someone needs to come up with a new word for these guys.
Ah, you're right.

And there were actually 5 players who went 0-fer. Headley was 0 for 7 and actually was the only one wearing the Golden Sombrero.
the two teams had 48 or so strikeouts over 6 innings.
quite something. An 18 inning game really stresses your pitching staff. A rule change calling a tie game after, say, 12 innings, might not be a bad thing. (I am prepared to get flamed here)
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
An 18 inning game really stresses your pitching staff. A rule change calling a tie game after, say, 12 innings, might not be a bad thing. (I am prepared to get flamed here)

I'm not quite prepared to commit to a rule change, but this series will certainly stress the Cubs' staff that was already stressed coming into this series. They desperately need their starters to eat some quality innings for the next week or so in order to get the bullpen back in shape.
Couldn't stay up long enough to see the ending of the Orioles/Nationals game last night. It was an incredible performance by both starters. Nats' relief pitching gives me tsuris...

PH
Hottest ticket in town today: Derek Jeter Day at Yankee Stadium. The added bonus is that the rained-out Saturday game will be played today as part of double-header. Saturday's game ticket holders cannot attend today's game.
I'm watching the MLB and Yankee games tonight, and I am dumbfounded at the infielders' attempts to apply a tag on a baserunner. In three cases, the ball has beaten the runner to the bag by a wide margin. Instead of placing their glove in front of the bag, the infielder tries to apply the tag on the upper body. Frustrating to watch at the lack of fundamentals.
When the Yankees started winning, I was cautiously optimistic but felt that a few weeks were not enough of a sampling to base great optimism upon. I figured it would take two good months and now that we approaching the two month mark, I think these Baby Bombers have the staying power to make the playoffs. Chapman out for a month will be a real test.
I'm now expecting a tight race in the AL East. Baltimore and the Yankees look very good and Boston will be there at the end. I'd love to see Tampa in the mix too.
I hope you are right Board-O [about my Orioles]. But, they are hurting right now. They lead the league in blowing 3 run leads. They have lost their last 6 one run games. The relief pitching stinks. Britton on DL for around another month or more.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I'm now expecting a tight race in the AL East. Baltimore and the Yankees look very good and Boston will be there at the end. I'd love to see Tampa in the mix too.

I don't know, Board-O. The Orioles have lost 10 of their prior 13 games, and 7 of those were by one run. Their relief pitching is terrible.
Their starting pitching is spotty.
They now go to Houston for a series against a team that is smokin' hot.
Oh dear.
Every team goes through hot and cold streaks. Yankees and Orioles have cooled off but have the talent to succeed. Chapman out for a month but Betances is closing well- 0.57 ERA and 2 strikeouts per inning. Last night he pitched the ninth- 3 strikeouts on 13 pitches. Fastball 99 and 100 mph.
It's too bad Hunter Strickland doesn't ever have to bat. Wonder how he would feel about a 97 mph fastball in the ass.

I think the most telling thing about that brawl is that Posey just stood there. Even he thought it was beyond the pale.
While it was great seeing the Yankees hit four homeruns in the 8th inning (so far), I couldn't help but feel sorry for Jason Grilli, a veteran pitcher who hasn't been pitching well this year.
How about Scooter Gennett?
Yesterday he was 5 for 5. Hit 4 HRs, got 10 RBI's for Cincinnati. It was a home game. And, Scooter was born in Cincinnati!
He was claimed off waivers in March.
When the Yankees started to play well, I felt it was enough of a sample size to get excited and that two months would be a better indicator. Now I'm excited, and Chapman should be off the DL fairly soon. No hurry to get Ellsbury back though. Yankees just need a third baseman. Irwin, are you going to re-sign Machado?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.