Skip to main content

Madison Bumgarner was placed on the DL yesterday.
He's 0-3 this year, but has only gotten 5 runs of support in his first 4 starts. Anyway, he sustained an injury to his pitching shoulder in a dirt bike accident. Had bruised ribs too.
You're paying a guy millions of bucks and he does this. Sheesh.
In 2002 Giant 2nd baseman Jeff Kent broke his left wrist during spring training doing a "wheelie" on a motorcycle. In 2011, Giant's pitcher Jeremy Affeldt went on the DL, sustaining an injury when trying to catch his kid who jumped off a couch to greet him. After he got off the DL, he sliced his hand while separating frozen hamburgers at a barbecue.

Giants are sort of snake bit in the injury department.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:

He should be fined his pay for the whole time he is on the DL. He had no real right to go mountainbiking and put himself at risk for such an injury. Players have a responsibility to refrain from activities with a real possibility of injuries.
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:
Well, at least the Pads won't go 0-162.

They may be like Cespades era A's this year. I liked Schimpf, Renfro and Hedges out of the gate last year. I think 2/3 of those guys homered in their first game. Dickerson and Jankowski stepped up a lot when some of the big name talent with mediocre performances left. Myers seemed to tank after all-stars but he was impressive up till then. Heard good things about Margot. I don't know about that Bethancourt thing but whatever. And they won their second game against the Dodgers. Not too shabby. Last year was an awful start. Did they even score a run the first 4-6 weeks? They woke up once they got to Colorado but they were pitiful in the beggining. I have a feeling this is the beginning of something great. Smile

Hmmm. I know it's early, but you might want to rethink that. Not looking so good after the first series.

I know there is 140+ games to go but I still feel optimistic. Not saying the World Series is in the bag or anything but I think this team will improve over the course of the season.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Well, at least the Pads won't go 0-162.

They may be like Cespades era A's this year. I liked Schimpf, Renfro and Hedges out of the gate last year. I think 2/3 of those guys homered in their first game. Dickerson and Jankowski stepped up a lot when some of the big name talent with mediocre performances left. Myers seemed to tank after all-stars but he was impressive up till then. Heard good things about Margot. I don't know about that Bethancourt thing but whatever. And they won their second game against the Dodgers. Not too shabby. Last year was an awful start. Did they even score a run the first 4-6 weeks? They woke up once they got to Colorado but they were pitiful in the beggining. I have a feeling this is the beginning of something great. Smile

Hmmm. I know it's early, but you might want to rethink that. Not looking so good after the first series.

I know there is 140+ games to go but I still feel optimistic. Not saying the World Series is in the bag or anything but I think this team will improve over the course of the season.

They've got some nice, young position players in the majors right now. I think their farm system is light in position players (to be expected when you've brought up so many good ones of late), but they have good pitching prospects in the minors. Don't know how far off they are, but like you said they're likely not going to WS this year so no reason to rush them. Definitely a team that will be very competitive in a couple of years.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:

He should be fined his pay for the whole time he is on the DL. He had no real right to go mountainbiking and put himself at risk for such an injury. Players have a responsibility to refrain from activities with a real possibility of injuries.

Like taking the ball on the short rest so consistently one pitcher throws a third of a teams innings in a world series? Giants would complete frauds if they did anything to him. He is a stud on a very team friendly deal who has shown a willingness to put the team above himself and his long term future. SF is doing the right thing by doing nothing.
In last night's Oriole game, one of the opposing players hit what appeared to be a bases loaded double down the right field line. It was initially called "fair" by the closest umpire. The Orioles challenged the call because it landed in foul territory, based on the clear divot in the dirt on the foul side of the line.
However, the call was upheld on the grounds that the camera wasn't close enough to see if any chalk was kicked up. They don't have cameras for down the line calls.
Technology is really good, but only if it is used properly.
The Orioles came back to win anyway.
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
quote:
quote:

Like taking the ball on the short rest so consistently one pitcher throws a third of a teams innings in a world series? Giants would complete frauds if they did anything to him. He is a stud on a very team friendly deal who has shown a willingness to put the team above himself and his long term future. SF is doing the right thing by doing nothing.

Well, we disagree. He most definitely did not put the team above himself when he went mountainbiking during baseball season. He's costing the team dearly and should shoulder the burden.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
quote:
quote:

Well, we disagree. He most definitely did not put the team above himself when he went mountainbiking during baseball season. He's costing the team dearly and should shoulder the burden.

That's fine and a lot of people think like that but if the Giants did that, come playoff time it would be real easy for him to say Im only taking the ball every 5 days. Cant risk any injury that would affect my future earning power. To me, doing this would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.
quote:
Great duel tonight between Tanaka and Sale. Irwin's boys coming to the Stadium with first place as the prize.

Gausman tonight for the Orioles. He brings his 7.50 ERA into Yankee stadium to face Sabathia.
uh oh. We'll be out for dinner at a local Greek place. I may need some Retsina to make it through the game.
today's game was excruciating. I kept turning it off thinking the Orioles were done for.
Miley started for the Orioles and gave up 8 hits and 5 walks in 5 innings, and yet, stood to get the win had the Yankees not tied it in the 9th. They almost lost in the 9th, but a guy beat a double play throw to first by a millisecond.
Then, the Yankees came within inches of winning it in the 10th.
Orioles were lucky to escape with the win.
So, yes, the Orioles and Yankees are tied for 1st, both being 15-8. The Yankees have outscored their opponents cumulatively by 43 runs, while the Orioles have outscored their opponents by a single run.
quote:
quote:
today's game was excruciating. I kept turning it off thinking the Orioles were done for.

And you call yourself a fan? I watched the Yankees and went to their games and rooted for them in 1991 when they were the worst team in baseball. That's what a fan does.

I'm a fan. But I hate disaster.
Going into the game April 30 vs the Mets, Anthony Rendon was not having a good year batting. He was batting .226 with no HRs, one double (0.238 slugging) and 5 RBIs.

In a 23-5 victory over the Mets, Rendon got 6 hits including 3 HRs and one double and 10 RBIs. The double came within a few feet of being a HR and if that had cleared the fence he would have been the first player to hit a solo, two run, three run and grand slam in the same game. Prior to this game, Rendon had not had a multi homer game in the 4+ years he has been in the MLB although he has had a 20 HR year and a 21 HR year before.

Metric Before game: After game:

BA .226 .278
Slugging .238 .411
RBIs 5 15
HRs 0 3
Orioles lost. Sale threw behind Machado's knees in the first inning, getting a "warning". Sale struck out around 11 or 12 Orioles. His control was superb. Thus, the throw behind Machado's knees was a calculated and illegal pitch.
The umpires did nothing.
Baseball is not football or hockey or boxing.
Let's get back to playing the sport, and not assaulting a fellow human being by throwing a 97 miles an hour baseball, from 60'6" away.
Two more games against the Red Sox this week.
quote:
Orioles lost. Sale threw behind Machado's knees in the first inning, getting a "warning". Sale struck out around 11 or 12 Orioles. His control was superb. Thus, the throw behind Machado's knees was a calculated and illegal pitch.
The umpires did nothing.
Baseball is not football or hockey or boxing.
Let's get back to playing the sport, and not assaulting a fellow human being by throwing a 97 miles an hour baseball, from 60'6" away.
Two more games against the Red Sox this week.

I was impressed that the Red Sox fans stood for Adam Jones.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.