Skip to main content

The season starts Monday.
The league and the players have agreed to a rule change which is designed to speed up the games. When a fielding team desires to walk a batter intentionally, it will be permissible to simply so indicate to the home team umpire, and the batter will be sent to first, rather taking the time to lob 4 pitches outside.
Last season, there were 932 intentional walks- an average of 0.38 per game. So, in around 62% of the games it won't matter. In the games where there is an intentional walk, this will save perhaps 45 seconds to a minute.
Put another way, the game has been shortened by about 1.5 pitches per game.
Talk about incremental.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
I like the Cubs team a little better this year than last. Lost Chapman, Fowler and Hammel; but, they added Wade Davis and will have a full season of Schwarber (only played 1 game) and Wilson Contreras (mid season callup). Plus all their young players are still improving.

VM

Davis scares me right now as does Rondon, hopefully Almora can hit a bit and JHey has a bounce-back year.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
The league and the players have agreed to a rule change which is designed to speed up the games. When a fielding team desires to walk a batter intentionally, it will be permissible to simply so indicate to the home team umpire, and the batter will be sent to first, rather taking the time to lob 4 pitches outside.
Last season, there were 932 intentional walks- an average of 0.38 per game. So, in around 62% of the games it won't matter. In the games where there is an intentional walk, this will save perhaps 45 seconds to a minute.
Talk about incremental.

I cannot let your math slide. If there was an average of 0.38 intentional walks per game then the chances that fewer than 75% of games had no intentional walks is very low; as games surely occurred with two or more intentional walks.

Carry on...
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Talk about incremental.

I cannot let your math slide. If there was an average of 0.38 intentional walks per game then the chances that fewer than 75% of games had no intentional walks is very low; as games surely occurred with two or more intentional walks.

Carry on...

You're probably right.
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
I like my Cubs to win their division. Cardinals might be lacking a bit of pitching. I think this could be the year Seattle breaks its playoff drought. If I had to pick the World Series winner right now, I guess I'd go with Cubs over Boston in 6.

The Cubbies finally win one after 100+ years and their fans are already counting their rings...

CARDINAL NATION

Looking forward to seeing the new Braves stadium in a couple weeks.
quote:
Madison Bumgarner hit two HRs today in the opening game. First pitcher ever to do so in the history of major league baseball.

Mad Bum will be seeing plenty of curves and sliders the rest of the year.

New season and yet it seems like it is still 2016. Go into the ninth with the lead and lose. No extras as Melancon gave up two in the ninth giving up 4 straight singles after getting the first two out. Ugly.

Go Giants.
quote:
Originally posted by Juicy:
quote:
Madison Bumgarner hit two HRs today in the opening game. First pitcher ever to do so in the history of major league baseball.

Mad Bum will be seeing plenty of curves and sliders the rest of the year.

New season and yet it seems like it is still 2016. Go into the ninth with the lead and lose. No extras as Melancon gave up two in the ninth giving up 4 straight singles after getting the first two out. Ugly.

Go Giants.

That's the thing about baseball. You have to throw strikes and get the other side out in order to win. Can't just run out the clock.
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
Well, at least the Pads won't go 0-162.

They may be like Cespades era A's this year. I liked Schimpf, Renfro and Hedges out of the gate last year. I think 2/3 of those guys homered in their first game. Dickerson and Jankowski stepped up a lot when some of the big name talent with mediocre performances left. Myers seemed to tank after all-stars but he was impressive up till then. Heard good things about Margot. I don't know about that Bethancourt thing but whatever. And they won their second game against the Dodgers. Not too shabby. Last year was an awful start. Did they even score a run the first 4-6 weeks? They woke up once they got to Colorado but they were pitiful in the beggining. I have a feeling this is the beginning of something great. Smile
quote:
In the Texas vs. Cleveland three game series, a total of 35 runs were scored by the two teams.

Meanwhile, in the Orioles vs. Toronto two game series, a total of 9 runs were scored by the two teams.

Sometimes there is a lot of hitting. Sometimes a lot of pitching.

Lindor makes up for earlier fielding error with a Grand Slam to win it for the Indians late. He truly is turning into a superstar, and this years Indians have the feel of the '95 team, who was never out of the game with their lineup.
Looking forward to watching the Nats again this year. Should have great pitching and with Turner and Eaton running wild on the bases, and Harper looking like he is back in his MVP form, it will be fun. Remember they still won 95 games last year with off years from Harper (imagine, 24 HR, 86 RBIs, and 21 SB is an off year) and Zimmerman.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
Well, at least the Pads won't go 0-162.

They may be like Cespades era A's this year. I liked Schimpf, Renfro and Hedges out of the gate last year. I think 2/3 of those guys homered in their first game. Dickerson and Jankowski stepped up a lot when some of the big name talent with mediocre performances left. Myers seemed to tank after all-stars but he was impressive up till then. Heard good things about Margot. I don't know about that Bethancourt thing but whatever. And they won their second game against the Dodgers. Not too shabby. Last year was an awful start. Did they even score a run the first 4-6 weeks? They woke up once they got to Colorado but they were pitiful in the beggining. I have a feeling this is the beginning of something great. Smile

Hmmm. I know it's early, but you might want to rethink that. Not looking so good after the first series.
quote:
Originally posted by dinwiddie:
Looking forward to watching the Nats again this year. Should have great pitching and with Turner and Eaton running wild on the bases, and Harper looking like he is back in his MVP form, it will be fun. Remember they still won 95 games last year with off years from Harper (imagine, 24 HR, 86 RBIs, and 21 SB is an off year) and Zimmerman.

Bullpen is suspect. Last night was a good example. Otherwise, I agree with you.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Go ahead, Irwin, I can take it! Razz

It's a long season, but these two comeback wins against the Yankees do make me feel better than if the Orioles had lost.
Meanwhile, the O's are 4-0. Three games were one run games and one was a two run game.
Should be nice weather tomorrow anyway.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Go ahead, Irwin, I can take it! Razz

It's a long season, but these two comeback wins against the Yankees do make me feel better than if the Orioles had lost.
Meanwhile, the O's are 4-0. Three games were one run games and one was a two run game.
Should be nice weather tomorrow anyway.

Your truth, man Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.