I purchased just one bottle of this on release for ~$135, thinking I might find it at a better price... (This was obviously before Suckling's 100-point score.) Obviously, that strategy didn't work out so well. Roll Eyes When I received the bottle, the fill-level was about 'mid-neck,' not an encouraging sign on a new-release wine, IMO. Just recently I found more at not-the-worst prices, but the fill-levels are all low neck, and nearly all of them have slightly raised corks. Frown I'm wondering if Valdicava simply has low fills in general (my '01 normales aren't exactly filled right up to the cork either), and I should just get over it, or whether I should abstain from buying these bottles. Any advice?
Original Post
Only Valdicava I've had were a '99 BdM and a couple of 95 BdM's. Don't recall what the '99 was looking like, but do remember both of the '95s as being oddly low, and chalked it up to age. It's not relevant, but one was corked, BTW.
I don't think mid-neck on a new release is a bad sign. I don't like when wines are filled to the base of the cork, SQN does this often.

I would on the other hand though be very cautious of low fills when accompanied with bulging corks. Corks don't bulge unless something (heat) has caused pressure inside the bottle and raised the cork.

I'd bet the bottle you have is just fine.
I have a couple of bottles and they are probably a little higher than mid-neck, but not right up against the cork either. I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
I have several sizes of the '01 Valdicava and the '99 Madonna del Piano. Some variation on the fills, stickman. I really wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.