My best friend and I will be staying in downtown Louisville in mid-September, near the 4th Street Live area. Our aim is to cover as much of the Bourbon Trail that we can in 3 days, but also to walk and dine the downtown area. All of the threads here are several years old, so I thought I'd ask for current recommendations?

Original Post

I got a response from my friend who lives in Louisville.  He suggested three restaurants:  Holly Hill Inn, Jack Fry's and Germantown Bakery.   There is also a steakhouse, Jeff Ruby's which is the best steakhouse in Louisville, but is a small chain and not Louisville based.

In regards to Bourbon visits, he suggested Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve and Rabbit Hole  

thistlintom posted:

I got a response from my friend who lives in Louisville.  He suggested three restaurants:  Holly Hill Inn, Jack Fry's and Germantown Bakery.   There is also a steakhouse, Jeff Ruby's which is the best steakhouse in Louisville, but is a small chain and not Louisville based.

In regards to Bourbon visits, he suggested Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve and Rabbit Hole  

This is helpful.  I'm in Louisville staying at The Galt House and Jeff Ruby's is in a street view retail spot housed by The Galt House.  I might walk over one evening.

Jack Fry's is also a short 2.5 mile Uber from here.

A friend that used to live here also recommended Lilly's, Proof on Main, 610 Magnolia plus another friend Doc Crow's.

thistlintom posted:

Thanks! We love steakhouses, & will definitely check it out. Haven't heard of Rabbit Hole, but since it appears to actually be in town, we may have to see it. It would be interesting to try some spirits that aren't normally available in WA.

Just a quick note on Jeff Ruby's.  It is a good to very good steak house.  It is not a great or perfect steak house in my opinion.  Really nice bar with excellent bourbon selection and prices.  Good, solid raw bar.  It fell a little short in two areas in my opinion.  First up every person at my table except my self ordered a dry aged steak (all are bone in) and I was the only one that ordered a wet aged steak (no bones) and my steak counter to intuition was easily the best steak on the table.  Moist, juicy, well seasoned, perfectly cooked to order, rock solid steak.  Every person at the table that got a dry aged steak had a "one minor complaint" that it lacked flavor.  I saw two out of four that ordered dry aged reach for the salt shaker.

The other thing is the pricing.  It is definitely up there.  We're talking CUT in Vegas kind of pricing.  Most the dry aged steaks were $70 plus or minus.  Kind of pricey to be reaching for a salt shaker while eating it.

Not dissing the place necessarily just go in with full knowledge it'll be expensive and may not roll your socks down then back up.

[Quote]The other thing is the pricing.  It is definitely up there.  We're talking CUT in Vegas kind of pricing.  Most the dry aged steaks were $70 plus or minus.  Kind of pricey to be reaching for a salt shaker while eating it. [/Quote]

At least no catsup

I provided Jeff Ruby understanding it was the best steakhouse in Louisville, I have never been but I hope I didn't lead you astray.   I am not a steakhouse person in general as I would rather have a chef provide an interesting dish rather than hope on getting a really good steak.  I hope you had a good enough time.  I feel better about the other restaurants I provided, not sure if you have the time to visit.  Hopefully you enjoy some bourbon tastings in Louisville.

Just saw this thread. Some of the recommendations are good choices. As far as bourbon distilleries to visit I highly recommend going to Willett in Bardstown. Another good restaurant worth checking out is 211 Clover Lane. From downtown it is about 10 or 15 minutes away.  The tour at Angel‘s Envy in downtown Louisville is worth checking out.  Avoid doc crows. It is not half as good as it used to be.  610 Magnolia is excellent.  Holly Hill Inn that was mentioned earlier is not in Louisville. It is in Midway Kentucky about 40 minutes away.  If you do go take a look at the three vintages (07, 12, 13) of Andrew Geoffrey diamond mountain cab on the wine list.  Check out Sidebar restaurant next-door to the KFC Yum center. Good bourbon list and good cocktails.  Jeff Rubys is excellent and has the best shrimp cocktail in the city. Decca  restaurant in NuLu is also a good spot.  What hotel are you staying at?  Send me an email if you want to get together for a drink. Justinhome at msn dot com

IW

Check out Bourbon Bistro. Would not recommend Proof on Main. Jack Fry is ok steakhouse. I agree with IW on Willett. Buffalo Trace is a good 45 -60 minutes from downtown in Frankfurt but worth the drive. Woodford is not far from BT. Down One whiskey bar is worth checking out. If they have reopened Jockey Silk have a drink there. 

longboarder posted:

Check out Bourbon Bistro. Would not recommend Proof on Main. Jack Fry is ok steakhouse. I agree with IW on Willett. Buffalo Trace is a good 45 -60 minutes from downtown in Frankfurt but worth the drive. Woodford is not far from BT. Down One whiskey bar is worth checking out. If they have reopened Jockey Silk have a drink there. 

Jockey Silk was still closed for renovations as of a couple of weeks ago.

Add Reply

Likes (0)