Lose any restaurants lately?

quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Liu Brothers has been sold, and their last day as is will be 12/31. Frown

Allred's going to be bummed.

As I am. Been going there for lunch probably 3 times a month recently, on days when I split time in our Batavia and Carol Stream offices. D and I had dinner last week and Kevin told us about a sale in which the main chef was staying on. That deal fell through, and the other buyers are taking over everything with their own people. Bummer.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Liu Brothers has been sold, and their last day as is will be 12/31. Frown

Allred's going to be bummed.

As I am. Been going there for lunch probably 3 times a month recently, on days when I split time in our Batavia and Carol Stream offices. D and I had dinner last week and Kevin told us about a sale in which the main chef was staying on. That deal fell through, and the other buyers are taking over everything with their own people. Bummer.

The new owners bought everything including the name and recipes. The brothers are staying on for a time to train the new staff and teach them the recipes. The new ownership will also keep it BYO. Hopefully the new chef is a quick study.

If they replaced the kids currently serving tables, I would not be upset. I am hoping for the best.
Just learned a fabulous French restaurant here closed as of the first of the year. LaV was outstanding in many ways - cuisine, wine list, service - but as I understand it their Wine Director and some key members of the kitchen staff left for other opportunities, and rather than cut corners they shut it down. I respect them for that, but it saddens me because it was one of our favorites. Hopefully they'll resurface in Austin soon.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Albie's Beef Inn. Known for it 1970s nude paintings of Pan Am flight attendants and being a total time warp.

Sounds cool. There is a place in Seattle called the Wedgwood Broiler that opened in 1965, and has changed very little since. Walk into the bar, and I swear you would believe Lyndon Johnson is still in the White House.
quote:
Originally posted by FL Wino:
River House closed Easter Sunday

Sold place to be remodeled as a Brass Top chain. Mad explode doh bart

A real shame. The River House was a favorite of mine, ever since I was a kid. I will miss their incredible salad bar.

I thought it was going to be a Brick Top restaurant, like the one in Palm Beach. Am I wrong?
I do hope they resurface, that place was a treasure.

quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Just learned a fabulous French restaurant here closed as of the first of the year. LaV was outstanding in many ways - cuisine, wine list, service - but as I understand it their Wine Director and some key members of the kitchen staff left for other opportunities, and rather than cut corners they shut it down. I respect them for that, but it saddens me because it was one of our favorites. Hopefully they'll resurface in Austin soon.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Bistro Blanc in the small town of Glenelg, MD is closing shortly. The Maryland gang had at least one off line there.
It is about the 4th place where we have had offlines which has closed.

Note... Glenelg is the same forwards and backwards.

The Maryland gang needs to stop closing places. Big Grin

As I said, you guys bring the black cloud with you.

quote:
Bistro Blanc in the small town of Glenelg, MD is closing shortly. The Maryland gang had at least one off line there.

Just heard that Alchemy, in Hampden, is closing. Site of two offlines I think, including one with Wine+Art and one with Parcival;.
They have another location in Belair.
quote:

Tersiguel's, site of the first Maryland offline, has been severely damaged in some flooding and will be closed for a bit for renovation and restoration.
quote:
quote:

Tersiguel's, site of the first Maryland offline, has been severely damaged in some flooding and will be closed for a bit for renovation and restoration.

As I said you guys bring the black cloud with you
quote:
quote:

Been seeing the flooding on the news. Unbelievable! Is that anywhere near you, Irwin?
[QUOTE}
Unbelievable! Is that anywhere near you, Irwin?[/QUOTE]

Near is a relative term. As the crow flies, I guess about 10 miles. It's closer to CometSpider, and Gentleman Farmer, I think.

That night we were in downtown at a restaurant. As I drove home I went through an intersection that was flooded...maybe 4 inches of water, and then, about 5 blocks later the road was closed. Baltimore is, of course, on the water, and the area I was in is a few inches above sea level. Rain flows down hill. So, I backtracked a few blocks and took a street that goes up a hill toward the center of the city, to get to higher ground, and did a bit of a detour to get home. Passed by another area that is really low (we were on an elevated highway) and saw all sorts of emergency equipment.
My first date with my wife was at a restaurant in Ellicott City in the area where the flood was. It was the predecessor of Tersiguels. That was 1982.
What was an odd coincidence is that while we were eating dinner our friends asked where we go for French food, and Tersiguel's came up in conversation. This was right around the time the flooding hit in Ellicott City.
Our basement got an inch or so of water, but the wine racks are elevated.
Lolita's Lust on the Danforth, here in Toronto just closed down due to landlord issues. After 20 years.

Good food, cheap corkage and great people. Our go to for a casual dinner with a nice bottle of wine.

Not sure what's going on on the Danforth these days, but businesses are closing at an alarming rate. So many vacancies and some great businesses moving out of the hood. A real shame.

We have a Mellow Mushroom up here, and it just wasn't very good, in my opinion.  

That being said, I am pretty picky about pizza; I am constantly on the lookout for decent pizza in Palm Beach County.  If anyone has recommendations, would love to hear them.

flwino posted:

Was on Griffin road.  Above the 3000 block.  South side of road in a non-descript shopping center.  Had only 20-30 seats at the most.

Owner and chef both French

Tonight we are going the "The Field of Green" on Griffin.  Irish joint

flwino posted:
flwino posted:

Was on Griffin road.  Above the 3000 block.  South side of road in a non-descript shopping center.  Had only 20-30 seats at the most.

Owner and chef both French

Tonight we are going the "The Field of Green" on Griffin.  Irish joint

Know it well - along with Royal India and Big Fat Greek - all on same strip of road

Add Reply

Likes (0)