Skip to main content

Looking for the opinions of folks way more experienced with the region that I am. I don’t own a ton, but the few bottles of 05 I have seem like they may still be a good 5 years away based on some comments here and CT. Agree? Also, I’m wondering if 2010 is shaping up similar or might be ready sooner. I’ve had some lower-end St. Emilion from 2010 that I’ve really enjoyed. 

From 2005 I have single bottles of Leoville-Poyferre and Rauzan-Segla, and a good friend and I went half on a 3L of Leoville-Barton. Thanks for any input.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@billhike posted:

Looking for the opinions of folks way more experienced with the region that I am. I don’t own a ton, but the few bottles of 05 I have seem like they may still be a good 5 years away based on some comments here and CT. Agree? Also, I’m wondering if 2010 is shaping up similar or might be ready sooner. I’ve had some lower-end St. Emilion from 2010 that I’ve really enjoyed. 

From 2005 I have single bottles of Leoville-Poyferre and Rauzan-Segla, and a good friend and I went half on a 3L of Leoville-Barton. Thanks for any input.

I’d hold on to the 2005s especially if it’s those bottles you mentioned. I have a lot of 2005 and none are ready to drink. 

2010 was a tannic year but also a hot year and I think the 2010s might be more open and ready  to drink in less time ( years from vintage) than the 2005s. 

Last edited by mimik

2004 and 2012 Bordeaux are generally the ones to opt for imo. Particularly St Emillion of those vintage. Allow another ten years for the 2012 to reach full maturity though. I have found 2005 Medoc to be quite useful but generally 2005 was not the year 2004 was from what I have found.

I can’t believe you forgot to mention the 2002 vintage and don’t get me started on how the early 90’s vintages have matured with grace into....

@chard posted:

I can’t believe you forgot to mention the 2002 vintage and don’t get me started on how the early 90’s vintages have matured with grace into....

the big houses of 02' are all in perfect drinking window right now.  Fully resolved, integrated, sillky smooth, just a touch of that wet tobacco.  everyone else, bricking.

04' was a more structured year, but not really showing fruit.

i've had a few "great bottles but not great wines"  from my cellar, but I keep my cellar cold in the 50s and properly stored, I haven't had as much luck last year in paris, when I had a 04' LLC that was hinting at some greenish bell peppers.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.