Longest Vertical You Have

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Podere Poggio Scalette Il Carbonaione.

1992-2006.

PH

Add 2007-2009. No holes, although lots of singletons.

PH

Good choice for a vertical, PH, and impressive length, too.

My longest is Domaine Pegau Cuvee Reservee. I have 1998, then 2001-2009 (I think I get to count 2002, since they didn't make that vintage).
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:

I'm hard pressed to think of another wine that has been this consistent over this many years. It also shows nice variation from vintage to vintage while still maintaining a recognizable house style. Love it.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by RedLoverJim:
quote:
Originally posted by chuq_2001:
quote:
Originally posted by RedLoverJim:
Non continuous, but I have a 10 year Chateau Beau-Sejour-Becot:
1970, 1990, 1996, 1998-2001, 2003-2005.

No affiliation, but Binny's can add the 82 to that for you pretty cheap. Maybe I'll pick one up and see if they are any good.
http://www.binnys.com/wine/Cha...our_Becot_23794.html

Hmmmm, I'd be curious how a 375ml has held up. That would be a nice add! I doubt they ship to TX, though.

Thanks for the heads up!

Buyer beware. I'm pretty sure several local forum members have reported that wine as DOA after buying from Binny's, possibly due to uncertain storage issues. I have no problem with Binny's and am not trying to keep any business away from them, but perhaps do a forum search first. Good luck!

I was one of those to take a chance on it and yeah, I thought it was past its prime. I am also a big believer in the "no such thing as good wines, only good bottles" proverb, and having said that, have not been tempted to see if a second bottle would be any different. If they blew it out at $15-$20, or it was on someone else's dime, I'd take another shot, but wouldn't expect too much.

As to my longest verticals...

Sixteen vintages of Duhart Milon, 1975-2009

twelve vintages of:
Philip Togni, 1990-2001
Paloma Merlot, 1995-2008 (no '98 or '00)

Eleven vintages of Ridge Monte Bello: 1991, 1995, 1997 and 2002-2011
quote:
quote:

I'm hard pressed to think of another wine that has been this consistent over this many years. It also shows nice variation from vintage to vintage while still maintaining a recognizable house style. Love it.

PH

Jealous! My bride introduced me to this 2 years ago as an anniversary gift, we both loved it
Longest vertical NOT posted here (and not drinking): I guess the guy that bought the 38 vintage Mouton vertical at the Vintages auction a while back doesn't frequent this forum.

Update - I met the fellow at another auction. Turns out he bought it for the art on the labels. ALL are on a wall display in his home along with other vintages.

Sounds like something W + A might do.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
I have Yquem going far back, but not a true vertical since there are too many gaps.

I'm one of those who don't have quite as strict a definition of a vertical, Dok. Particularly with wines such as d'Yquem, First Growths or any other wine that has a several hundred year history. I'd love to know what you've got stashed away..... Razz

PH
I think "interrupted" verticals are legit, especially when it comes to long-lived wines from regions known for variable weather. The disaster of 2002 means hardly anyone could have a true vertical with no gaps in a Chateauneuf, as any decent producer didn't bottle their CdP label in 2002. Likewise, I don't think anyone would be salivating over a Bordeaux vertical from the decade of the 1970's, so if you have just a few from the early '60s, maybe a '70 and a '75, then start up again in 1982, to me, that's a mighty fine vertical.
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
quote:
Beaucastel 89, 90, 95, 98, 00-09 (soon 10).

even 02? Big Grin

Big Grin technically no, but since they didn't produce one in 2002, I'm calling it a continuous vertical from 00-10.

You are missing a 10???? Devilish
quote:
Originally posted by aav28:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
quote:
Beaucastel 89, 90, 95, 98, 00-09 (soon 10).

even 02? Big Grin

Big Grin technically no, but since they didn't produce one in 2002, I'm calling it a continuous vertical from 00-10.

You are missing a 10???? Devilish

November 24th it'll be complete Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
20 year vertical of Beringer White Zin... saving for a special occasion.

I've heard that it really takes on new life around age 18 or 19. Lots of secondary nuances, and all that tannin really smoothes out...
quote:
quote:

I've heard that it really takes on new life around age 18 or 19. Lots of secondary nuances, and all that tannin really smoothes out...

Kid you not, one of my great all time wine moments was watching a woman return her glass of White Zin in a Fort Bragg Brewpub as "The wrong vintage".
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
Fonseca 1955, 60, 63, 66, 70, 75, 76, 77, 78, 80, 83, 85, 92, 94, 95, 97, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009

From one portlover to another, I am mightily impressed. I've stopped buying any vintages younger than 2005 as I much prefer them well aged and sadly, I am getting very well aged myself. Wink

My so-called longest verticals are port too, but hardly worth mentioning (not that that ever stopped me.....)

Dow 77, 83, 85, 87 (Malvedos) 88 (Malvedos) 91, 94, 97, 2000, 2005, 2007 (yes, I know that's younger than 2005, but they are half bottles)

Same vintages for Graham, less the 88, 2005 and 2007.
quote:
quote:

And at around age 5 it turns a lovely shade of orange.
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
quote:
quote:

Kid you not, one of my great all time wine moments was watching a woman return her glass of White Zin in a Fort Bragg Brewpub as "The wrong vintage".

That surely would have been one of my all-time wine moments as well... AWESOME!
I'm not a big vertical guy, but I do have a solid decade ('99-'08) of Galardi's Terra di Lavoro, and I love every one of 'em! All of my other most beloved wines either have noticeable gaps (e.g., Yquem, Kracher, Fuligni, and Clos des Papes) or are too recently begun (Cayuse, Saxum, Sine Qua Non) to really count.

Add Reply

Likes (0)