Skip to main content

Greetings everyone. I'm sitting right now outside of the small, but bustling, Corra HQ in St. Helena for the 2009 Cabernet release event. Celia Welch and Kari Auringer are holding court while a steady stream of devoted Corra fans (including yours truly) come in to pick up the latest release. In addition, Celia and Kari have graciously popped open the 2005 Corra and have also provided a portion of the room for the 2009 Lindstrom estate Cabernet (for which Celia is the winemaker) to also be poured. Here's my notes on all 3:

• 2009 Corra Wow in a very good way. Lots of dark and red berry fruit in the foreground with a haunting savory/sweet note lingering in the background, but not in a cloying or overpowering manner. Plain and simple, a powerful expression of how good Napa Cabernet can and should be. This is drinkable now, but there is at least a decade of upward progression before this hits any sort of plateau.

• 2005 Corra Delightful mouthfeel, with a graceful finish lasting 30+ seconds. The vegetal notes have receded into the background, but still remain interwoven into the underlying structure and tannins. Poured straight from the bottle with no decanting, this would benefit from an hour or two to open up fully. I've got a 3 pack of this sitting in my cellar, and I feel confident that another 2 or 3 years will be of benefit.

• 2009 Lindstrom This is my first exposure to Lindstrom, and I'm impressed. This is an estate cab comprised of 100% cab of 4 different clones from the Stags Leap District. Not as accessible currently as the 2009 Corra, but this will only continue to evolve for the next decade based on the structure and flavor profile. I'm a fan.

Definitely a delightful afternoon. Cheers!

Celia mentioned her mailing list is almost maxed out, but she has a couple cases left of the 2009 if anyone is interested.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Popped a 2007, my first last night. Two hour double decant, it needed it. Looks older than it is. Tastes younger than it is. This was very good. You could sense the excellent winemaking here. I new I should of waited until 2017 to open one of these but I'm glad I did. Great balance and is only going to get better. Hold my other two bottles!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.