$40 for the '02 Costanti Rosso. Figure there's some Brunello juice in that?

Anyone heard anything about the '04 Laughing Magpie? I liked the 2002, but 2003 was disappointing.
I've put the Pierre Sparr Riesling Reserve on my to-buy list. A friend of mine lunched with Bernard Sparr, son and grandson of Pierre, last spring while visiting Alsace and was told that Sparr would not be putting out a 2002 Grand Cru because it was not the best vintage for them; so all the grapes intended for the Grand Cru were put into the Reserve which costs only $18.95. The Grand Cru sells in the $30 range.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
$40 for the '02 Costanti Rosso. Figure there's some Brunello juice in that?


Costanti did not make a Brunello in 2002, so what you're saying is correct. However, that doesn't account for the price. Costanti's Rosso is always in the $35-40 range, as is Fuligni's. I find them extremely poor values - and generally, poor quality. This 2002 is no exception.

You can find my note on the 2002 Rosso from Costanti here.

I will definitely be passing, even though I generally love Costanti's wines.
The 2002 D'Arenberg Coppermine Road was absolutely amazing. I had this with Slan and Basecadet at the D'Arenberg Toronto tasting with Chester Osborne and without speaking for them, it was by far the wine of the night.

It blew away the 2003 Dead Arm (which was very closed and so young) and has huge potential.

I will be buying this.

Also, the Oberto Barolo might be a good buy at $49.

Other than that, I will be buying heavy on the $25-30 Jackson Triggs 'Delaine' reds. $25-30 for Niagara reds is a great deal. Roll Eyes Big Grin
Fut, thanks for the link to your TN. I should have searched for it. I too will be passing now for sure.

And thank you Baird for the tip on the Coppermine Road.
quote:
Anyone heard anything about the '04 Laughing Magpie? I liked the 2002, but 2003 was disappointing.


Steve, I've pretty much give up on the 2003s from Australia. The MPs were horrible in comparison to the two previous vintages. I have yet to try a 2003 I'd recommend.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
The MPs were horrible in comparison to the two previous vintages. I have yet to try a 2003 I'd recommend.


Does that include the 2003 Shiraz 9? I picked up a bottle recently figuring the RP 93 and WS 92 meant a pretty good wine. Even though I've never been impressed with any of the lower MP bottlings I've tasted from any vintage.
Heh. My luck with getting D'Arenberg products early contines.

4x '02 Coppermine
2x '04 Magpie (I'll pick up more on the weekend if I like it)
quote:
Originally posted by Baird:
The 2002 D'Arenberg Coppermine Road was absolutely amazing. I had this with Slan and Basecadet at the D'Arenberg Toronto tasting with Chester Osborne and without speaking for them, it was by far the wine of the night.

It blew away the 2003 Dead Arm (which was very closed and so young) and has huge potential.

I will be buying this.

Also, the Oberto Barolo might be a good buy at $49.

Other than that, I will be buying heavy on the $25-30 Jackson Triggs 'Delaine' reds. $25-30 for Niagara reds is a great deal. Roll Eyes Big Grin



I have the 2001 uin my cellar? Have you guys tried it before? how does it compare to the 2002?

I'll be picking up the Ironstone pressings and hopefully some coppermine.
There are so many good Australian wines in this release that it's hard to focus on which ones to put on the shopping list.

It's interesting that while Baird was 'blown away' by D'Arenberg's Coppermine Road, all the published reviews are much more restrained in their ratings of this wine. Not sure what to make of that???

I'm going to skip D'Arenberg's Ironstone Pressings just because it's from the 03 vintage. (There, that was easy.)

With so many good wines on offer, perhaps it is easier to focus on value. The Greg Norman Shiraz's have been getting consistently higher scores each year, and one review I found on the 2003 said it was the best yet. It sort of rankles that a wine branded with a golfer's name should make it into my wine cellar though. (I can hardly wait to buy my first bottle of Michael Schumacher Auslese.) The Wolf Blass Gold Label also offers good QPR from all reports.

The Aussie selection overshadows all the rest. The '01 Guigal CdP should be good, but the price is getting a bit too much.

Flipping over to the value side, there's the '04 Boekenhoutskloof Wolftrap. If it's at all like their shiraz released last winter, it could be great daily drinker.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
It's interesting that while Baird was 'blown away' by D'Arenberg's Coppermine Road, all the published reviews are much more restrained in their ratings of this wine. Not sure what to make of that???



I thought it was by far the best wine of the night and a definate 92-95 point wine.

D'Arenberg wines need to be tasted before cellaring as I find that people might love them or absolutely hate them (eg. look at the 2001 Dead Arm... RP98, WS88) depending on your palate. I would not listen to RP, HS or even people on this forum for that matter. Taste before you buy, expecially with the Ironstone and Coppermine as quality varies from vintage to vintage.

Basecadet? Slan? Any comment on the Coppermine?
I will pick up a few of 02 Coppermine for sure as 02 is a reltively good vintage. The 02 Magpie was stunning for the price.

Baird, how would you compare 02 Magpie to Coppermine???? On par or even better???? Wink
I forgot to mention that for those of you that go trick or treating with your kids/neighbours, the Boekenhoutskloof Wolftrap would be an excellent accompaniment.
aav,

The Magpie and the Coppermine are both from Australia and both made by d'Arenberg, but that's where the similarity ends. To me, the Magpie is very much a "new world" wine. It is mostly shiraz with a drop of viognier. The Coppermine, on the other hand, is more of an "old world" style wine, for me, and is made of entirely cabernet sauvignon. It is nothing at all like a CalCab, but I wholeheartedly agree with Baird that it is delicious.
quote:
I would not listen to RP, HS or even people on this forum for that matter. Taste before you buy, expecially with the Ironstone and Coppermine as quality varies from vintage to vintage.

Ya, that's kind of where I thought this would net out on the Coppermine. But I wanted to hear the opinions of anyone else that was at the D'Arenberg dinner on Oct 19.
I'll be trying the Boekenhoutskloof Wolftrap. I tried the '03 Porcupine Ridge Syrah and I enjoyed it for the money. My only complaint was the slightly medicinal note, but either I got used to it or it mellowed after a couple of months because I found the last 3 of my 6 bottles to be the best.
Mitchie: I agree with you on the Porcupine Ridge, although I didn't find any medicial notes. I have a small order in with my local Vintages rep for some of the Wolftrap. You should also know that Vintages will again be featuring Porcupine Ridge Syrah, during one of the November releases.
quote:
Originally posted by aav28:
I will pick up a few of 02 Coppermine for sure as 02 is a reltively good vintage. The 02 Magpie was stunning for the price.

Baird, how would you compare 02 Magpie to Coppermine???? On par or even better???? Wink
Completely different. The Coppermine is much better but 2x the cost.
I agree with Baird on the Coppermine, it was the best wine we had at the dinner and I will be grabbing some myself.

On the wine, are you sure the Ironstone Pressings is the 03? I thought it was the 02.

Will also grab the 01 Guigal CDP, had it at the Sat HDW offline and it was great.
quote:
Originally posted by Slan:
aav,

The Magpie and the Coppermine are both from Australia and both made by d'Arenberg, but that's where the similarity ends. To me, the Magpie is very much a "new world" wine. It is mostly shiraz with a drop of viognier. The Coppermine, on the other hand, is more of an "old world" style wine, for me, and is made of entirely cabernet sauvignon. It is nothing at all like a CalCab, but I wholeheartedly agree with Baird that it is delicious.


Thanks for the clarification. Razz
Bruce,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Porcupine Ridge, must be in the Nov. 26 release because it's not in the Nov. 12 release. The Wolftrap is supposed to be a step up quality wise from the Porcupine Ridge label yet it's only $1 more, so it may offer an even better QPR.
For those who normally shop at the Summerhill store, they plan to ration 4 wines this Saturday - including all of the D'Arenberg releases.

Summerhill only received 40 Coppermine (not enough) and 180 High Trellis (should be enough). For those really interested in more than one Coppermine, or those interested in not setting their alarm (like me), you may need to look at shopping somewhere else.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
For those who normally shop at the Summerhill store, they plan to ration 4 wines this Saturday - including all of the D'Arenberg releases...


Well... there are already 5 D'Arenberg being released, so it can't be all of them. I assume 2 will be Coppermine and Ironstone Pressing. What are the other 2?

Also, what's with LCBO and d'Arenberg? I think they've been releasing at least one d'Arenberg per month for the past 6 months or longer it seems.
FYI.... After doing some digging... there are only 160 cases of the Coppermine and it is going to be very hard to get. All of my local stores got zero and most smaller stores got 6-12 bottles total. I placed an order for 6 but doubt it will come in.

The Magpie should be easier as there are 2000 cases. I picked up 2 cases today and I'm sure it will be on the shelves for many days.
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
Well... there are already 5 D'Arenberg being released, so it can't be all of them.

There are only 4 D'Arenberg wines being released from D'Arenberg. D'Arrys Original is not being released on Oct 29 - it is on the Essentials list and has been on the shelves continuously for the past 2 years. You should visit the Aussie section sometime.
quote:
Originally posted by Baird:
FYI.... After doing some digging... there are only 160 cases of the Coppermine and it is going to be very hard to get. All of my local stores got zero and most smaller stores got 6-12 bottles total. I placed an order for 6 but doubt it will come in.

I'm finding the same thing - it's going to be tough getting more than one or two of these.

It doesn't seem like there's 160 cases out there. I wonder how much Churchill's has held out of distribution to the stores?
Beppi Crosariol talked at length in his column about not talking about Sideways and recommended the Isonzo Merlot from Friuli, so the demand for Coppermine didn't materialise at Summerhill.

I bought 2 extra bottles of Coppermine if anyone got left out.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
There are only 4 D'Arenberg wines being released from D'Arenberg. D'Arrys Original is not being released on Oct 29 - it is on the Essentials list and has been on the shelves continuously for the past 2 years. You should visit the Aussie section sometime.


I'm well aware of the Aussie section thank you. I guess I take it literally that if it's listed as an Oct 29th release, then it's an Oct 29th release regardless of how many times it has been "released" before. It may not be a new release, but neither is the '02 Ironstone Pressing which was released on Apr 2nd.
I had no trouble getting another 3 bottles of the Coppermine this a.m., and could have bought 18 more if I'd wanted. No early morning line-up today, at least in London.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×