I'm usually one of the people railing about obscene price increases at the LCBO, but the March release has me scratching my head over some apparent price decreases:

• 2016 Quinta do Crasto Touriga Nacional is $76 CAD, but I bought the 2005 for $65 USD (plus tax) back in 2010.
  • 2016 Moss Wood Cab Sauv is $100, but the 2009 was $115 when I bought it in 2014 at the LCBO.

Are these real or more misprints for which the Classics catalogue is well-known?  And speaking of misprints, does anyone know who 'PIRA A FIGLI' is?  

The only Pira I know that makes a Barolo Mosconi is Chiara Boschis.

Not much in the catalogue that I'm interested in, but I'll have another look before the deadline.

march- chateau belle-vue - $36, nice wine... 20% petit verdot , my favvvvv

april- guigal d'ampuis- $165 both the 750 and 1.5L- i have bought 3-4 over the years but haven't yet drank one. what are you opinions on this wine?

when will we start to see 2015 Brunellos available? "the god send" year....

The LCBO will be having a Brunello event end of April. 2015 vintage will be available for purchase from what doesn't get sold at the event (online order a few weeks after event).

csm posted:

Beaucastel Blanc is the only thing I’m remotely interested in either month. 

This and the Saffredi in April.  

Fut is correct re: E. Pira e Fili is Chiara Boschis; see the small print at the bottom of one of her labels.  It's a typo that LCBO lists as Pira A Figle vs E.Pira e Figli....  There are other producers bottling Mosconi but E. Pira (Chiara) is the only Pira. 

Pricing of the l’Apparita and Dunn HM is lunacy. More than double US pricing, and the US price on l’Apparita is already stupid.

In March, I’m inclined to pick up the Remelluri Reserva at $44.

In April I agree with CSM that the Beaucastel Blanc is a buy. And I might pick up some of the Tollot-Beaut Chorey-les-Beaune at $50. I like the producer and I have a soft spot for Chorey as we have stayed there a few times.

Last edited by sunnylea57

DOMÄNE WACHAU ACHLEITEN SMARAGD RIESLING 2017
REMELLURI RESERVA 2012
MOSS WOOD CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2016
DAVID AND NADIA ELPIDIOS 2017
TYRRELL’S VAT 1 HUNTER SEMILLON 2014

Ciccio10 posted:

april- guigal d'ampuis- $165 both the 750 and 1.5L- i have bought 3-4 over the years but haven't yet drank one. what are you opinions on this wine?

They are a poor man’s LaLaLas.

i bought mags and 750s of the 2015 vintage and in good vintages, they can become something quite special over time

Last edited by mimik
futronic posted:

The only Pira I know that makes a Barolo Mosconi is Chiara Boschis.

Stuff like this makes the Classics catalogues such collectors pieces.

Picked up a mixed case of mostly whites to drink over the next five years (except the Loosen GG which will age for as long as I can keep my hands off it).

DOMAINE BÈGUE-MATHIOT VAUCOPINS CHABLIS 1ER CRU 2015 - $31

CHÂTEAU DE LA TERRIÈRE CUVÉE JULES DU SOUZY BROUILLY 2016 - $28

PAUL BLANCK SCHLOSSBERG RIESLING 2015 - $35

CAVE DE TAIN GRAND CLASSIQUE CROZES-HERMITAGE BLANC - $25

DR. LOOSEN ERDENER TREPPCHEN ALTE REBEN GG RIESLING 2016 - $52

vint posted:

Picked up a mixed case of mostly whites to drink over the next five years (except the Loosen GG which will age for as long as I can keep my hands off it).

DOMAINE BÈGUE-MATHIOT VAUCOPINS CHABLIS 1ER CRU 2015 - $31

CHÂTEAU DE LA TERRIÈRE CUVÉE JULES DU SOUZY BROUILLY 2016 - $28

PAUL BLANCK SCHLOSSBERG RIESLING 2015 - $35

CAVE DE TAIN GRAND CLASSIQUE CROZES-HERMITAGE BLANC - $25

DR. LOOSEN ERDENER TREPPCHEN ALTE REBEN GG RIESLING 2016 - $52

A lot of those wines would have been in the biweekly Vintages releases not so long ago.  Shows you where Classics is heading...

I finally got around to logging on at 3pm and not much has been sold out yet.  But not much to get excited about either.

they are getting sloppy...

one of the products being offered is this-

"Clos de la Roche Grand Cru 2011"... no name, no winery... nothing,

so i emailed vintages and they gave me a phone number to call to find out more,

turns out it is 2011 Clos De La Roche Gc Nuiton Beaunoy

anyone hear of this producer? 165$ for a CDLR grand cru seems like a score?

Ciccio10 posted:

they are getting sloppy...

one of the products being offered is this-

"Clos de la Roche Grand Cru 2011"... no name, no winery... nothing,

so i emailed vintages and they gave me a phone number to call to find out more,

turns out it is 2011 Clos De La Roche Gc Nuiton Beaunoy

anyone hear of this producer? 165$ for a CDLR grand cru seems like a score?

I think in Burgundy you might want to buy the producer and not the vineyard.  That's just my opinion...

vint posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

A ton of products dropped from the April Classics offering. I can only assume it’s COVID-related? Inability to get the wines shipped?

https://www.lcbo.com/content/d...2004-Classics_en.pdf

You ain't seen nothin' yet.  Wait 'til May & June, both biweekly releases and Classics. 

Somewhat related, the SAQ seems to have stopped their weekly Cellier releases of "specialty" wines which I assume is related to Covid.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.