LCBO Price Alert

The reductions at the Crossroads store are okay but still don't rival those of Laird. The benefit of the Crossroads store is that they often will sell wines on consignment that were never officially released by the LCBO. Some times it is good stuff, often it is plonk.
I was actually just at the Weston and 401 store last night. In addition to carrying numerous items from system wide markdowns, they had a few private label products on consignment nothing to really get you guys running over there though. To give an example:

I bought two bottles of 2009 Craggy Range Syrah for $23.75 each.
CT is a bit of a mess with this wine, so here are two entries for it:
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1191298
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1277148
I'm pretty sure they are the same wine.

I am assuming that the wine came from Lifford although the "Block 14" is missing from the label.
http://www.liffordwine.com/our_wines/wine.php?id=2451

Anyway, they have about 3-4 cases of the stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Some markdowns at the Laird St Vintages...
2007 Langoa Barton $72.00 - 15.80 = $56.20

2008 Langoa Barton on VSO today for $64.

Methinks the 08 is the better purchase.
Not a price alert, but something I pass along when I find it: a decent pinot noir for under $25. MACROSTIE PINOT NOIR 2007
VINTAGES 674911. IMO one of thoise rare new world pinots with typical bright cherry fruit and a nice food-friendly zing of acidity but also possessing that hint of shtank that might fool one into thinking it was a villages from Burgundy.
Added bonus: also available in half bottles which I find handy to have around for those (admittedly rare) nights when you just know you're not going through 750ml.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Not a price alert, but something I pass along when I find it: a decent pinot noir for under $25. MACROSTIE PINOT NOIR 2007
VINTAGES 674911. IMO one of thoise rare new world pinots with typical bright cherry fruit and a nice food-friendly zing of acidity but also possessing that hint of shtank that might fool one into thinking it was a villages from Burgundy.
Added bonus: also available in half bottles which I find handy to have around for those (admittedly rare) nights when you just know you're not going through 750ml.

..or one of those (even less rare) nights when you know 750 ml. won't be quite enough. Big Grin

Thanks for the heads up on this.
There has been another round of 25% markdowns yesterday at the Laird St store. Products on the shelf as of earlier this afternoon were:

NV Heidsieck Blue Top Brut Champagne $37.50
2004 San Filippo Le Lucere Brunello $37.50
2009 Vincent Girardin Santenay Les Gravieres $24.00
2009 Guigal Gigondas $22.30
2009 Pascal Marchand Gevrey-Chambertin $39.50
2006 Sociondo Mallet $48.75
2008 La Dominique $48.00
Perhaps, but I do not ever find myself at K&L, so perhaps for those that do not travel, this is not totally incongruous with other US prices (hell, even PC is $70, pre-tax) and it is certainly far better than the SAQ which is still at $98. Also, the few times I do travel I try to get wines that are not available in Canada.
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
I kind of wish the LCBO had a "price match guarantee."

Fut, you crack me up. What's next on your crazy wish list - a functional website? Responsive customer service? Maybe a decent selection of back vintages?

LOL
+1 Save me a seat on that campaign bus!

I assume by now everyone is aware that there is an unadvertised Vintages delist going on. It started on Oct 1 and got more seriously ramped up on the 15th.

My purchases have been:

1 x 2007 Paul Hobbs Cuvee Augustina Richard Dinner Chardonnay
1 x 2009 Peter Michael Chardonnay Ma Belle-Fille
1 x 2009 Peter Chardonnay La Carriere
2 x 2008 Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon (double markdown)
2 x 2006 Clarendon Hills Grenache Onkaparinga
2 x 2007 Saffredi
2 x 1994 Warre's VP
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
+1 Save me a seat on that campaign bus!

I assume by now everyone is aware that there is an unadvertised Vintages delist going on. It started on Oct 1 and got more seriously ramped up on the 15th.

My purchases have been:

1 x 2007 Paul Hobbs Cuvee Augustina Richard Dinner Chardonnay
1 x 2009 Peter Michael Chardonnay Ma Belle-Fille
1 x 2009 Peter Chardonnay La Carriere
2 x 2008 Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon (double markdown)
2 x 2006 Clarendon Hills Grenache Onkaparinga
2 x 2007 Saffredi
2 x 1994 Warre's VP

And, naturally, there is no mention of this sale on the Vintages web site!
This sale is a very rare and welcome deal in many cases, especially for California wines, which is even more rare and welcome that for many others. I've bought several that are selling for nearly or sometimes less than the US average on Winesearcher, for example:

-l'Avion
-Reininger Ash Hollow syrah
-Ravenswood Belloni zin
-Parable shiraz
-Testament shiraz
-Onkaparinga grenache

And even ports!
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
This sale is a very rare and welcome deal in many cases, especially for California wines, which is even more rare and welcome that for many others. I've bought several that are selling for nearly or sometimes less than the US average on Winesearcher, for example:

-l'Avion
-Reininger Ash Hollow syrah
-Ravenswood Belloni zin
-Parable shiraz
-Testament shiraz
-Onkaparinga grenache

And even ports!

Thanks for the tip on the Ash Hollow. I picked up three.
Tried the Ash Hollow last night. Great northern Rhone-ish nose of iodine, black olives and game meat. But the Rhone comparison ends there, IMO, as I found the Ash Hollow heavier and more viscous than most N. Rhones I've tried. All in all though, great QPR at $28. I will let the other bottles I have sleep for a few years as I'd like to see how this might develop.
quote:
Tried the Ash Hollow last night. Great northern Rhone-ish nose of iodine, black olives and game meat. But the Rhone comparison ends there, IMO, as I found the Ash Hollow heavier and more viscous than most N. Rhones I've tried. All in all though, great QPR at $28. I will let the other bottles I have sleep for a few years as I'd like to see how this might develop.

Thanks for the info.
quote:

How was the acid profile? I can deal with viscosity, as long as there is complimentary acidity.
AML, if you're looking for a wine to pair with food, this probably isn't the best choice. This wine is food.

Edit: Upon reflection, that comment wasn't fair. It would go fantastically well with grilled dead cow or smoky BBQ ribs.
quote:
AML, if you're looking for a wine to pair with food, this probably isn't the best choice. This wine is food.

Edit: Upon reflection, that comment wasn't fair. It would go fantastically well with grilled dead cow or smoky BBQ ribs.

I'm not sure about the incinerated cow, but smoked ribs or grilled horsemeat should pair well with this wine.

Steak tartare (horse or cow) might work as well.

Add Reply

Likes (0)