Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
2010 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes
on VSO this morning @ $66 per. Looks like they missed the 99 RP issued last month. This is now >$ 100 per on winesearcher (K&L).


Love the community spirit on these boards. Thanks for the tip. I just picked up three bottles. I am happy (even though my wife won't be).
Dear point whoring friends (probably half this thread!), Big Grin

Have you tasted the Bosquet des Papes Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes CdP in past vintages similar to 2010 -- like '04, '05, '06 or '08? I don't think I have, so am interested in your thoughts on structure, profile and alcohol perceptibility (it's probably 15% like every other one).
Hi Darcy, I was also worried about the RP comment on 15% abv but I noted in the actual LCBO listing for this product that they have it at 14%. LCBO does a lot of things poorly but if they do anything right it is fully testing product and reporting abv as per their tests. I'm not suggesting that this practice continue, but in this case it is useful to clarify what the real abv is for this product.

https://www.vintagesshoponline...?lang=en&item=734244
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
2010 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes
on VSO this morning @ $66 per. Looks like they missed the 99 RP issued last month. This is now >$ 100 per on winesearcher (K&L).


Love the community spirit on these boards. Thanks for the tip. I just picked up three bottles. I am happy (even though my wife won't be).

Vijay can sniff a bargain between the scratches on a penny.

If he ever leaves his current employer, expect him to show up on Auction Kings or the Shopping Channel. Banana
Who is gonna "take one for the team" and crack a bottle? I ordered some but don't let me stop anyone. Big Grin

I have a hard time believing any CdP is under 14.5% abv these days. I was in QQ last night, looking at all the CdPs they have, and most of the '08s (not as ripe as '07s or '09s) were in the 15-15.5% abv range. Given that, and specifically here the high percentage of Grenache in the assemblage, I have a hard time believing the Bosquet des Papes VV will be under 15%.

So, again, who is cracking the first bottle? Wink
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
Not sure why you think they usually get the abv wrong, this is something they test every shipment. At any rate, we'll have to see what's labeled on the product when it is received.

PS:
http://forums.winespectator.co...6091161/m/1517005632


Maybe because I have gone to a store looking for a specific bottle I found online, only to get there and see the ABV on the bottle does not match what was posted online?! This has happened on several occasions. I understand they test it, but they sure as hell don't make the correct information available online.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
I haven't cracked...yet.


I'm not even a huge fan of CDP (yet) but I'm sooooo weak.


I've seen you posting that you've popped some very nice bottles, which are arguably some of the best examples of CdP. If you didn't like those, maybe it's not your cup of tea...
quote:
must...not...buy...99 point...wine...

Well said captain Kirk, but logic would dictate that the value is well represented and the possibility of further improvemnet exist. Jim, it is your choice, and as your friend, it would be my suggestion that you yield to the masses and succumb to the fruit of the vine. Your friend.

Spock
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
must...not...buy...99 point...wine...

Well said captain Kirk, but logic would dictate that the value is well represented and the possibility of further improvemnet exist. Jim, it is your choice, and as your friend, it would be my suggestion that you yield to the masses and succumb to the fruit of the vine. Your friend.

Spock


honestly, not even remotely interested....if the CNDP aint Rayas, I aint buying it.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
must...not...buy...99 point...wine...

Well said captain Kirk, but logic would dictate that the value is well represented and the possibility of further improvemnet exist. Jim, it is your choice, and as your friend, it would be my suggestion that you yield to the masses and succumb to the fruit of the vine. Your friend.

Spock


Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor, not an ATM for those bureaucrats at the LCBO!!

You're right Bones. Steady as she goes, Mr. Sulu! We're not buying anything today!
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
I haven't cracked...yet.


I'm not even a huge fan of CDP (yet) but I'm sooooo weak.


I've seen you posting that you've popped some very nice bottles, which are arguably some of the best examples of CdP. If you didn't like those, maybe it's not your cup of tea...


Maybe you're right. Just too many palates I respect that seem to enjoy the stuff leading me to believe my epiphany is forthcoming.
I ordered 2 – sign me up as a point whore! Here’s how I justify it. 2010 was a great vintage for the Rhone and $66 for a potential two-decade cellar dweller is fine with me. Also, when a renowned wine critic like Parker who tastes thousands of wines year in and year out decides to change his original point range from 94-96 to a near perfect score of 99… then I’ll take a chance on two bottles having not tasted it.

In my experience, I tend to agree more with Parker’s scores in C9dP more-so than in the other Rhone regions (Gigondas, Vacqueyras etc…) as they are usually scored far too high!

What I do find interesting is that Parker seems to be increasing his scores for the 2010 C9dP vintage…

Domaine Bosquet des Papes Chante le Merle Vieilles Vignes – 94-96 now a 99
Vieux Donjon – 93-95 now a 96
Beaucastel – 92-94+ now a 95
Clos des Papes – 96-98 now a 99
Etc…

Maybe he was battling a head cold in 2011??
If Parker is raising his scores on 2010 then 2009 will have to be re-baselined on a 105 point scale. Wasn't that a "best ever" vintage for him?

Scores aside (pretty well only Tanzer and Jancis resonate with me, and their scores venture less often in the 95+ or 18/20+ ranges), the current CdPs are constructed so differently than the '94s, '01s or even '05s I remember tasting on release (I am that much of an old(er) fart, and have gone back to tastings notes). The lack of structure in many CdPs, plus the wide-spread cough syrup sweetness and noticeable alcohol (15.5-17%) all turn me totally off.

I suppose the only positive is that a decade from now, when many of us crack the first bottles of the 2010s we purchased, should the wines taste unbalanced and not reflect the terroir of CdP, the scores will help bolster the secondary market i.e. Vintages auctions and we can flip them.

Interesting thoughts, but I digress...
quote:
Originally posted by Robo Porker:
I have yet to taste any 2010s but in a hot and ripe vintage, I tend to stick to the traditional style of CDP made by some domaines.
Well done, Mimik.
How hot was it really (relatively speaking)? The few reports I've read was that it wasn't as hot as 2009 but no sense in comparing vs a hot vintage to begin with.
The total amount of days during which temperatures were over 10 °C before 30 June is a good indicator of early or late vine growth. This total was 629 °C in 2010, compared with 831 °C in 2003 and 785 °C in 2007.
Source:
http://www.jancisrobinson.com/...cles/a201103211.html
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Hey Robo. Time to get your anonymous butt to Toronto. Basecadet and I want to see your smiling face.


On my way in the very near future(Jan-Feb 2012)!

I'm Robo Porker. Give me 16% alcohol and over ripe grapes, I'll give you 99 points!!

(credit to Basecadet, he came up with the name Wink )
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
quote:
Originally posted by Robo Porker:
I have yet to taste any 2010s but in a hot and ripe vintage, I tend to stick to the traditional style of CDP made by some domaines.
Well done, Mimik.
How hot was it really (relatively speaking)? The few reports I've read was that it wasn't as hot as 2009 but no sense in comparing vs a hot vintage to begin with.
The total amount of days during which temperatures were over 10 °C before 30 June is a good indicator of early or late vine growth. This total was 629 °C in 2010, compared with 831 °C in 2003 and 785 °C in 2007.
Source:
http://www.jancisrobinson.com/...cles/a201103211.html


True but rainfall was the lowest for the summer months since 1871. I don't think it is as hot as other recent years(ie 2003) but lack of precipitation also affects ripeness levels.
quote:
Originally posted by Robo Porker:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Hey Robo. Time to get your anonymous butt to Toronto. Basecadet and I want to see your smiling face.


On my way in the very near future(Jan-Feb 2012)!



Cool. I know that will be the basis of another great offline.

Maybe a Rhone offline doing "the whole beast" (boar) at Beast? Just throwing it out there... Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by Robo Porker:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Hey Robo. Time to get your anonymous butt to Toronto. Basecadet and I want to see your smiling face.


On my way in the very near future(Jan-Feb 2012)!



Cool. I know that will be the basis of another great offline.

Maybe a Rhone offline doing "the whole beast" (boar) at Beast? Just throwing it out there... Wink


+1 on a Rhone offline at Beast w Robo. I'll skip the boar (tasty but bad for me).
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
2010 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes
on VSO this morning @ $66 per. Looks like they missed the 99 RP issued last month. This is now >$ 100 per on winesearcher (K&L).


Attention Point Whores... 4 bottles at Oakville store (Whole Foods Plaza) Cornwall.

Chalk me up as one Banana
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
2010 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes
on VSO this morning @ $66 per. Looks like they missed the 99 RP issued last month. This is now >$ 100 per on winesearcher (K&L).


Attention Point Whores... 4 bottles at Oakville store (Whole Foods Plaza) Cornwall.

Chalk me up as one Banana


I got the last one Wednesday......
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Tried the Ash Hollow last night. Great northern Rhone-ish nose of iodine, black olives and game meat. But the Rhone comparison ends there, IMO, as I found the Ash Hollow heavier and more viscous than most N. Rhones I've tried. All in all though, great QPR at $28. I will let the other bottles I have sleep for a few years as I'd like to see how this might develop.


Just picked up a bottle of the Ash Hollow at one of the Kanata LCBO's that was further reduced to $22. Thanks for the tip on this one!
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
If any point whores missed out of the last CdP 2010 offers another one just came up on VSO; Domaine de La Charbonnière Les Hautes Brusquières Cuvée Spéciale Châteauneuf-du-Pape

RP 96, $56


Yeah, I just saw this, BUT, is this going to be another monster fruit bomb in the style that Parker (but not some of the rest of us) likes so much?
Fine Watch Clearance Sale: This is off-topic, but I thought the TWC guys who are into watches might see this here.

An old friend of mine owned the Watchcraft store on Bloor near Bay. He has re-opened temporarily (until Valentines) to clear out his remaining stock at 1300 Bay near Scollard. I am sure there are some very good finds and there.

Those who are into watches are probably more familiar than me, but he always had an excellent selection of fine watches when I dropped in to visit at the store.

Cheers,

VinC
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Yeah, I just saw this, BUT, is this going to be another monster fruit bomb in the style that Parker (but not some of the rest of us) likes so much?


Probably, being 15% alcohol. I'm passing. Donjon was 14% and Bosquet des Papes was reported between 13.5% - 14.5%.


Thanks! I kind of figured that, but appreciate the feeback from those with more CdP experience. I think I lean more towards the traditional styles. The search for older bottles continues.... Cheers,
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Yeah, I just saw this, BUT, is this going to be another monster fruit bomb in the style that Parker (but not some of the rest of us) likes so much?


Probably, being 15% alcohol. I'm passing. Donjon was 14% and Bosquet des Papes was reported between 13.5% - 14.5%.


Thanks! I kind of figured that, but appreciate the feeback from those with more CdP experience. I think I lean more towards the traditional styles. The search for older bottles continues.... Cheers,


Charbonniere definitely is more of a traditional producer (love the vielles vignes), so I wouldn't expect a fruit bomb here, though RMP's TN, describing a massive concentration of fruit does give me pause.
There's a lot of buzz (no pun intended) on another thread about Westvleteren beer and how rare it is in the US. The Bayview Village LCBO Store has 53 of WESTVLETEREN 2012 GIFT PACKS at $77 each. No mention of what comes in the 6-pack.

Anybody had this? Could it possibly be worth it? Should we back up the truck?

Update - Never mind. They sold out this morning.
Last edited by vint
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
If you read this story in The Star, it lists other outlets that will have the wine. I'd suggest calling the store to determine when the beer will be released and get in line well before the store opens.


saw the line forming before the liberty village store opened today, pulled over, and jumped in just before 9am. got in about 4 minutes later - all gone.

the worst part is all the smug pri**s standing around outside with their boxes celebrating.

then i realized i almost paid $80 for 6-pack of beer. I'm blaming it on the dayquil.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
Has anyone noticed that Chateau Pipeau 2010 has already been on store shelves for a few weeks now? It's now a vintages essential. Seems strange to me that a reputable 2010 is already out, but I guess with an early drinking wine like that they push it down the pipeline quickly.


Moderately priced Parkeresque fruit bomb with not much structure, but lots of quantity - why not shove it through the pipeline. It has an interesting label.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The lcbo is selling mags of 1982 Dom Pérignon Oenotheque Rose for the wicked price of $6,763.95 a bottle. Available from Wine Consignors for $1,480 a bottle and a place in Europe for $2,800. $5,300 over priced may be a new record...


Did you see the prices for the D'Yquem library offering, following the vertical dinner? Pricing strategy on the 82 Dom seems similar. Crazy
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
i've had a few since release and each time i have they've got increasingly closed. Not to deter you to try, but at least give it a good decant. I'm getting more, but not going to touch them for a few years before trying again.


Thanks for the advice. So, are you thinking another three to five years?
I opened a bottle of the 07 Vajra Albe a couple of weeks ago and found the fruit was dull and fading. Not sure if it was closing down or just a corked bottle. I'm wondering if it's the former because of vinoevelo's experience above and a couple of other comments in a similar vein on Cellartracker.

It would be good to know if it is shutting down because I just bought some more at the new improved price.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
I opened a bottle of the 07 Vajra Albe a couple of weeks ago and found the fruit was dull and fading. Not sure if it was closing down or just a corked bottle. I'm wondering if it's the former because of vinoevelo's experience above and a couple of other comments in a similar vein on Cellartracker.

It would be good to know if it is shutting down because I just bought some more at the new improved price.


Haven't tried this 2007, but the 2005 I had was pretty good !
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
I opened a bottle of the 07 Vajra Albe a couple of weeks ago and found the fruit was dull and fading. Not sure if it was closing down or just a corked bottle. I'm wondering if it's the former because of vinoevelo's experience above and a couple of other comments in a similar vein on Cellartracker.

It would be good to know if it is shutting down because I just bought some more at the new improved price.


I opened a bottle last night and gave it a 1 3/4 hr decant. It was comparable to 2005 Barolo I've had at the same age, from the same price range ($30-$45). Yes, muted compared to more expensive Barolo. Maybe it's just young and needs some time, but it was quite good with the significant decanter time (drank over the following 2.5 hrs). It showed dark red fruits, violets, and was well balanced with dusty, grippy tannins and good acidity. Very good now with 2hr decant, better in 2-7 years imo. Excellent QPR at the reduced price - Thanks again Vijay, and OTW.
My experience with the 2005 was that it really benefitted from a slow ox. I tend to give both the '05 & '07 a good 1-2 hrs standing upright in bottle, and then another 1-2 hrs in decanter. I've also slow ox'd it in the fridge -- in a Grolsch swing top bottle with about half a cm of air space. Come back to it in 2-4 weeks and you'll get great aromatics and very approachable fruit.
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy:
My experience with the 2005 was that it really benefitted from a slow ox. I tend to give both the '05 & '07 a good 1-2 hrs standing upright in bottle, and then another 1-2 hrs in decanter. I've also slow ox'd it in the fridge -- in a Grolsch swing top bottle with about half a cm of air space. Come back to it in 2-4 weeks and you'll get great aromatics and very approachable fruit.


Very interesting...I had about 2 cases of the 2005 and always found it be a pop and pour. That being said, I have never been a proponent of decanting barolo (some obvious exceptions, but only the really big boys). Nebbiolo is prone to oxidation so for me....its pop and pour.
I loved the 2005 and also the 2007....just great wine.
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
"Finally" got the three bottles of 2010 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes I ordered in November from VSO.

Opened the box and discovered three bottles of the 2009 and not the 2010. Sigh.


Just got off the phone with Vintages and, you guessed it, my options are to keep the wine or return it and get my money back. To make matters worse, they insisted that the vintage I ordered from VSO was the 2009 and not the 2010 and that if the VSO site stated it was the 2010, then that was a mistake.

Sooo, am I crazy or did others order and receive the 2010 vintage??? Mad
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
"Finally" got the three bottles of 2010 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes I ordered in November from VSO.

Opened the box and discovered three bottles of the 2009 and not the 2010. Sigh.


Just got off the phone with Vintages and, you guessed it, my options are to keep the wine or return it and get my money back. To make matters worse, they insisted that the vintage I ordered from VSO was the 2009 and not the 2010 and that if the VSO site stated it was the 2010, then that was a mistake.

Sooo, am I crazy or did others order and receive the 2010 vintage??? Mad

Those may indeed be the only options they will give you. But the 6 bottles I received from VSO are the 2010 vintage of Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes. (I went and double checked before posting.)

So whoever you spoke to at Vintages doesn't know what they are talking about. Is that a surprise? Bang
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
"Finally" got the three bottles of 2010 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes I ordered in November from VSO.

Opened the box and discovered three bottles of the 2009 and not the 2010. Sigh.


Just got off the phone with Vintages and, you guessed it, my options are to keep the wine or return it and get my money back. To make matters worse, they insisted that the vintage I ordered from VSO was the 2009 and not the 2010 and that if the VSO site stated it was the 2010, then that was a mistake.

Sooo, am I crazy or did others order and receive the 2010 vintage??? Mad


Just checked...got the 2010. Do you have an invoice with the vintage...not that it would change any minds.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcamp:
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
"Finally" got the three bottles of 2010 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes I ordered in November from VSO.

Opened the box and discovered three bottles of the 2009 and not the 2010. Sigh.


Just got off the phone with Vintages and, you guessed it, my options are to keep the wine or return it and get my money back. To make matters worse, they insisted that the vintage I ordered from VSO was the 2009 and not the 2010 and that if the VSO site stated it was the 2010, then that was a mistake.

Sooo, am I crazy or did others order and receive the 2010 vintage??? Mad


Just checked...got the 2010. Do you have an invoice with the vintage...not that it would change any minds.


I have an invoice but for "some reason" the vintage date is illegible.
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
Bruce,

You could log onto VSO and look at your order history. Print out the invoice from there and see what it reads.


Thanks. Just did that and, sure enough, it states 2010.

In the end, it doesn't matter as the Vintages person confirmed that the wine is sold out. I guess I'll return the 2009. Have been spending more than I should lately, so returning this will help.
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Chard:
2009 Antinori Solaia is currently $200 at my LCBO and the 2009 Sassicaia is $140.

Might be pulling the trigger on these.


And which LCBO might that be, exactly? Wink


Planning on taking a little trip "down the road"?


No, no, not at all, I'm just curious, really! Devilish Why do you ask? Wink
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Chard:
2009 Antinori Solaia is currently $200 at my LCBO and the 2009 Sassicaia is $140.

Might be pulling the trigger on these.


And which LCBO might that be, exactly? Wink


Planning on taking a little trip "down the road"?


No, no, not at all, I'm just curious, really! Devilish Why do you ask? Wink


No reason. Just being nosy!
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
This sale is a very rare and welcome deal in many cases, especially for California wines, which is even more rare and welcome that for many others. I've bought several that are selling for nearly or sometimes less than the US average on Winesearcher, for example:

-l'Avion
-Reininger Ash Hollow syrah
-Ravenswood Belloni zin
-Parable shiraz
-Testament shiraz
-Onkaparinga grenache

And even ports!

The 08 L'Avion Roussanne has dropped below $30 now. And still has far to go! Ack
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
Yeah chard. Pray tell us where you got them bottles. Otherwise the toronto wine cru and their posse may have to kill ya! Wink

Vijay, I got your back Wink


Bring it, you won't get past the Tri Cities as my K-W posse will intercept.

WEST SIDE forever! Razz

Fanshawe Road LCBO in London, I will post all sale items tonight.
quote:
Originally posted by Chard:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
Yeah chard. Pray tell us where you got them bottles. Otherwise the toronto wine cru and their posse may have to kill ya! Wink

Vijay, I got your back Wink


Bring it, you won't get past the Tri Cities as my K-W posse will intercept.

WEST SIDE forever! Razz

Fanshawe Road LCBO in London, I will post all sale items tonight.


We got your back Chard Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
quote:
Originally posted by Chard:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
Yeah chard. Pray tell us where you got them bottles. Otherwise the toronto wine cru and their posse may have to kill ya! Wink

Vijay, I got your back Wink


Bring it, you won't get past the Tri Cities as my K-W posse will intercept.

WEST SIDE forever! Razz

Fanshawe Road LCBO in London, I will post all sale items tonight.


We got your back Chard Wink


What is this, West Side Story??
As requested:

2007 Chateau Certan De May $90.30 ($129.00)

2007 Chateau Rauzan-Segla $63.00 ($90.00)

2007 Chateau Troplong Mondot $80.05 ($115.00)

2007 Domaine De Chevalier Blanc $86.80 (124.00)

2007 Chateau de Fargues $61.60 ($88.00)

2007 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc $79.80 ($114.00)

2008 Chateau Pontet Canet $90.30 ($129.00)
Not quite sure to what degree this is an alert. Noticed today at Weston and 401:

San Fabiano Calcinaia Cerviolo 2006 to $35 down from $50 (which seems like an insane ripoff to begin with) - bought none, probably ~ 6 left on the shelf

Terrabianca Croce CC Riserva 2007 down to $20 from $28 - bought 2, maybe 4 or 5 left on the shelf

There might be a single bottle of 2006 San Filippo Lucere BdM down to $35 from $50 but no promises.
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
As of noon today at Trafalger & Dundas Oakville (1 bottle) in clearance.
- L'Aventure Estate Cuvée 2009 $60

but it was released at $58!! Confused


I believe that was the Optimus. The Estate Cuvee was released in the $90s. Nonetheless, $60 is the more reasonable price for that.
They have reduced the price on some Classics wines at the Laird store. Most you can easily ignore, but there's also a few decent buys in there:

2004 Resalte Ribera del Duero Reserva $47
2006 Melis Priorat Elix $29
2006 Pujanza Rioja Norte $55
2006 Domini de la Cartoixa Priorat Clos Galena $47
2005 Felix Callejo Ribera del Duero Callejo Family Reserve $95
2004 Ismael Arroyo Ribera del Duero Reserva Val Sotillo $39
2004 Elías Mora Toro Gran Elías Mora $99
2005 Hacienda Monasterio Ribera del Duero Reserva $59
2004 O. Fournier Ribera del Duero $59
2008 Achával-Ferrer Malbec Finca Mirador Medrano $79
2007 Viña Alicia Malbec Brote Negro $74
2007 Domaine Tortochot Charmes-Chambertin $99
2007 Roche de Bellene Clos Vougeot $99
2007 Buoncristiani OPC Proprietary Red $39
2006 Corté Riva Cabernet Franc $39
2009 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard $49
2007 Clos Mimi Cabernet Sauvignon McGinley Vineyard $49
2007 Jonata Winery Pinot Noir La Poesía $79
2008 Sadie Family Columella $79
More 20% markdowns at the Laird St Vintages store:

2009 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Calcaire (December ISD) $28.50
2010 Shafer Chardonnay Red Shoulder Ranch $48.30
2010 Orin Swift The Prisoner $38.50
2006 Clarendon Hills Grenache Onkaparinga ($56 - double markdown from $90)
2007 Badia a Passignano Chianti Riserva $34.50
2008 Bruno Rocca Barbaresco Rabajà $54.50
2007 Domaine Tortochot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Lavaux St. Jacques $57
2009 Domaine de la Vielle Julienne CdP $56

There were also a lot of low end bordeaux from 2006 and 08 which I did not take note of.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
More 20% markdowns at the Laird St Vintages store:

2009 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Calcaire (December ISD) $28.50
2010 Shafer Chardonnay Red Shoulder Ranch $48.30
2010 Orin Swift The Prisoner $38.50
2006 Clarendon Hills Grenache Onkaparinga ($56 - double markdown from $90)
2007 Badia a Passignano Chianti Riserva $34.50
2008 Bruno Rocca Barbaresco Rabajà $54.50
2007 Domaine Tortochot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Lavaux St. Jacques $57
2009 Domaine de la Vielle Julienne CdP $56

There were also a lot of low end bordeaux from 2006 and 08 which I did not take note of.


About time The Prisoner came down. $50 was crazy.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
2009 Grand Veneur La Fontaine Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc $41 (reduced in stages from $65)

I snagged a few based on the comments and price. The release price in the US was $55.


Me too - look Dok, I finally got some good, affordable Rhone whites!!

Also grabbed some Charter Oak zins - cellartracker says they're great - and a couple of Spaniards
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
A number of prices at VSO are dropping. The best deals for me are:

  • 2009 Grand Veneur La Fontaine Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc $41 (reduced in stages from $65)
  • 2005 Vall Llach Idus @$49 (started out at $75)
  • 2006 Joan Simó Vinyes Velles Les Eres @$35 (used to be $49)


Great minds think alike. These are the only three wines I ordered today Wink
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
2009 Grand Veneur La Fontaine Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc $41 (reduced in stages from $65)

I snagged a few based on the comments and price. The release price in the US was $55.


Me too - look Dok, I finally got some good, affordable Rhone whites!!

Also grabbed some Charter Oak zins - cellartracker says they're great - and a couple of Spaniards


Picked up my Grand Veneur La Fontaine Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc yesterday and had one last night with cold lobster and pan-fried salmon with grainy mustard and tarragon. Liked it a lot but not as much as I'd hoped. See TNs section for details.
As noted at the the bottom of nicos' Freewebs page, there are many more yet to be added and he is working on the list as time allows.

This is a significant clearance. From what I can tell, virtually every wine released more than 6 months ago or with fewer than ~200 bottles left in the system are marked down. After checking a number of products, it looks like prices are being cut to levels roughly approximating Wine-Searcher lows.

Also note that after July 22nd, these products will not be transferred between stores. So if you see something you want but it is not available at a store near you, ask for the transfer now and they will have to comply. After July 22, you'll be doing some driving.
quote:
Originally posted by Greg H:
Nicos sure grabbed a lot of select wines .... damm ... :-)

Greg


Not to worry Greg. Many of the products are in substantial quantity in the warehouse, just ask your local store to look up the inventory level and they will probably be able to get you want you want.

BTW here is one example of a wine where we have over 2,000 bottles up for grabs: www.freewebs.com/winething295576 -- my order for this has not arrived yet. Mind you my order for the Brothers In Arms Leading Horse Langhorne Creek Cabernet did get to the store and our supply blew out the door at $16.80 per bottle. My message is not to worry there is a lot to choose from that should meet all needs.
CHEERS
Nick
FYI with respect to the Geoffroy currently available:

The price reduction would be great if it were the same lot the review is based on (and the lot I really enjoyed). Geoffroy’s Rose de Saignee is actually a vintage wine, but can’t be labeled as such, since it spent less than three years on its lees. The lot that I enjoyed was from the 2008 vintage, and bottles were bottles from Classics.

The newer (current) release through Vintages was from the 2010 vintage, and not nearly as good. It’s tempting at $46, but there are several other Champagnes at that price point that are much stronger wines.

The 2008 lot was worthy of 92-93 points on the several occasions I've had it. The current, 2010, lot, barely makes 90, if that.

Just something to take into consideration.
More items added to the VSO bin ends:

2007 San Felice Pugnitello
WAS: $50.00 NOW: $37.25 SAVE $12.75 (26%)

2006 Viberti Buon Padre Barolo
WAS: $49.00 NOW: $36.75 SAVE $12.25 (25%)

2009 Outpost Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon
WAS: $99.00 NOW: $74.25 SAVE $24.75 (25%)

There are more than these, just look for any products in the Bin Ends section with no vintage or associated writeup. You might have to do some digging to find out what the vintage is.
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
More items added to the VSO bin ends:

2007 San Felice Pugnitello
WAS: $50.00 NOW: $37.25 SAVE $12.75 (26%)

2006 Viberti Buon Padre Barolo
WAS: $49.00 NOW: $36.75 SAVE $12.25 (25%)

2009 Outpost Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon
WAS: $99.00 NOW: $74.25 SAVE $24.75 (25%)

There are more than these, just look for any products in the Bin Ends section with no vintage or associated writeup. You might have to do some digging to find out what the vintage is.


Can you ask them to lower the price on the Outpost zin pls....... 2 Cents
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
More items added to the VSO bin ends:

{SNIP}

There are more than these, just look for any products in the Bin Ends section with no vintage or associated writeup. You might have to do some digging to find out what the vintage is.


Ouch. The 2009 Mt Veeder Cab is also 37.25 down from $50. I think I have 6 bottles. Are there any stores that will do a credit adjustment w/ original receipt?
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy:
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
More items added to the VSO bin ends:

{SNIP}

There are more than these, just look for any products in the Bin Ends section with no vintage or associated writeup. You might have to do some digging to find out what the vintage is.


Ouch. The 2009 Mt Veeder Cab is also 37.25 down from $50. I think I have 6 bottles. Are there any stores that will do a credit adjustment w/ original receipt?


I believe you have 30 days after purchase to return bottles, with receipt.
Le Petit Cheval is price reduced from $200 to $150 at LCBO.

I drank one (that I had in my cellar since its initial LCBO release) last night. I was less informed on the topic of 2nd wines when I then bought it. I rarely buy 2nd wines now, finding better value in other wines. But this was a 2005, and it (with 4 to 5 hours decant) shows. I believe that it is worth the purchase (I just bought one more).

Here is my TN. I rated it 92 now, but 95 with decant or 5 years in cellar, possibly longer.

Initially tannic and lacking elegance or finesse. But after 4 hours decant (in a very wide base decanter) and some time in glass, this turned into a fine wine indeed, with all of the elegance and finesse that one would expect from a Cheval Blanc. This is not the somewhat open and hedonistic wine that I tasted in 2010. It is a currently closed wine that took 4 plus hours to turn into what it will be. Suggest the drinking window start in 5 years.
This burns my proverbial a**. Because the LCBO has done such a PATHETIC job promoting VSO, to consumers as well as to its own employees (half of store employees ask me, "what is VSO" when I go in top pick up), awareness of online ordering is low, leading inevitably to suboptimal purchase intention and sales.

From now on, I'm not going to order ANYTHING from VSO. The thanks I get, as an early adopter and loyal customer, is that product I've paid FULL PRICE for will be discounted because of the LCBO's own incompetence. That really reinforces a negative experience.

No more VSO for me. What's the point if there's an 80% chance the product will end up on sale?!
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
Prices recently have been pretty outrageous for new items being added so a 25% discount might only be getting the price down to fair market value and not really be a deal. Best to cross reference with prices from other markets.


Good advice - but there are some genuine bargains. The best US price for 2008 Canalicchio di Sopra Brunello is presently $57 - now marked down on VSO to $38. Hard to beat - unless you've already bought it from VSO...
quote:
Originally posted by 7smcb:
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
Prices recently have been pretty outrageous for new items being added so a 25% discount might only be getting the price down to fair market value and not really be a deal. Best to cross reference with prices from other markets.


Good advice - but there are some genuine bargains. The best US price for 2008 Canalicchio di Sopra Brunello is presently $57 - now marked down on VSO to $38. Hard to beat - unless you've already bought it from VSO...


FYI, don't be surprised if you get the 2007 Canalicchio di Sopra Brunello, not the 2008. The 2007 never sold through, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is a situation where the product name has been updated by recycling the CSPC code in advance of an upcoming release.

If you search the product code on Vintages.com, it lists 2007. If you see it on VSO, it's 2008.
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy:
No more VSO for me. What's the point if there's an 80% chance the product will end up on sale?!
I think it's no VSO for any of us after this. I noticed that nothing new has been offered on VSO since Oct 17th. Perhaps they are shutting it down as yet another failed online experiment?