Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
However, she looked up the product I wanted and it's a discontinued item - and therefore cannot be shipped inter-store.

I don't understand the logic behind that... does being discontinued mean that they do not wish it to be sold? Must be some new inventory management concept that I am not aware of.


Not sure if "discontinued" means the item is on sale but I have learned that the LCBO will not, or is very reluctant to, ship sale wines to other stores. The reasoning is that the wine has already been reduced so there is no profit margin to be made, wen you factor in the cost of shipping.

So, when they put slow moving wines on sale, I guess they just want them to be sold from that particular store.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
However, she looked up the product I wanted and it's a discontinued item - and therefore cannot be shipped inter-store.

I don't understand the logic behind that... does being discontinued mean that they do not wish it to be sold? Must be some new inventory management concept that I am not aware of.


LCBO's new jingle:

http://youtu.be/9tOnbeNAxdU
I can count on one hand the number of product consultants around here that know their head from their ass. The notion that I should kiss the latter or develop "friendships" just to get the service I'm already entitled to is laughable.

Any time I walk in to an LCBO I treat everyone I interact with respectfully, however, if someone starts twisting policies to suit their own agenda, the gloves come off. I have no issues calling up customer service, reporting the situation and have them force the store to abide by the policies.
Well, yes, we are the customer and we don't need to "kiss ass", as you say. But I have come to know some of the PC's and clerks in afew stores (to the extent that they recognize me and vica versa), by simply being friendly. It's nice to receive a "Hi, how are you" from them, and have LCBO rep that's prepared to dig for a bottle that's hiding.
I frequent a number of different stores, as I'm sure most of us do. Without fail, every time I cultivated the kind of relationship with a PC jhcwine describes, they got transferred to another store. I was starting to develop a complex around this but was told "that's just what happens." So I don't bother trying anymore.

It would be interesting to get some perspective on this thread from nicos.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
However, she looked up the product I wanted and it's a discontinued item - and therefore cannot be shipped inter-store.

I don't understand the logic behind that... does being discontinued mean that they do not wish it to be sold? Must be some new inventory management concept that I am not aware of.


LCBO's new jingle:

http://youtu.be/9tOnbeNAxdU



Should be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0DMbCKnAg


Notwithstanding the above, I have been told that they don't do ISTs on discounted products because it is already 'costing them on the discount, and it doesn't make sense to spend $15 (cost) to transfer to another store when they are already discounting it. The other policy on ISTs is that it is at the discretion of the consultant at the store with the inventory. Some hoard it like it's their own private stock. Others are happy to help out. Ah, the machinations of our government monopoly... and so it goes...
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
I frequent a number of different stores, as I'm sure most of us do. Without fail, every time I cultivated the kind of relationship with a PC jhcwine describes, they got transferred to another store. I was starting to develop a complex around this but was told "that's just what happens." So I don't bother trying anymore.

It would be interesting to get some perspective on this thread from nicos.


I hear you VinT. On the most recent transfer, the PC I've known the longest got transferred to a closer store - go figure. I'm enjoying it while it lasts, touch wood.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
However, she looked up the product I wanted and it's a discontinued item - and therefore cannot be shipped inter-store.

I don't understand the logic behind that... does being discontinued mean that they do not wish it to be sold? Must be some new inventory management concept that I am not aware of.


LCBO's new jingle:

http://youtu.be/9tOnbeNAxdU



Should be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0DMbCKnAg


Notwithstanding the above, I have been told that they don't do ISTs on discounted products because it is already 'costing them on the discount, and it doesn't make sense to spend $15 (cost) to transfer to another store when they are already discounting it. The other policy on ISTs is that it is at the discretion of the consultant at the store with the inventory. Some hoard it like it's their own private stock. Others are happy to help out. Ah, the machinations of our government monopoly... and so it goes...


Good to know. The customer service rep at LCBO definitely said this was a discontinued product, though. Not discounted. Perhaps she just misspoke.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
I frequent a number of different stores, as I'm sure most of us do. Without fail, every time I cultivated the kind of relationship with a PC jhcwine describes, they got transferred to another store. I was starting to develop a complex around this but was told "that's just what happens." So I don't bother trying anymore.

It would be interesting to get some perspective on this thread from nicos.


I hear you VinT. On the most recent transfer, the PC I've known the longest got transferred to a closer store - go figure. I'm enjoying it while it lasts, touch wood.


Quite true on that, VinC and VinT. I developed a good relationship with "James" at Bayview Village and then he was transferred. This happened a couple of times. Conversely, several of the PC's at Queens Quay seem to have been there quite a while.
quote:
Notwithstanding the above, I have been told that they don't do ISTs on discounted products because it is already 'costing them on the discount, and it doesn't make sense to spend $15 (cost) to transfer to another store when they are already discounting it.

OK, let's follow through with the logic here. A bottle doesn't sell because nobody wants to spend x dollars on this crappy wine. So the LCBO discounts it which generates a willing buyer at another outlet, but the LCBO won't let him buy it because it is on discount. So the LCBO gets to hang onto its crappy bottle longer.

I think I'm getting the hang of it now...
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Notwithstanding the above, I have been told that they don't do ISTs on discounted products because it is already 'costing them on the discount, and it doesn't make sense to spend $15 (cost) to transfer to another store when they are already discounting it.

OK, let's follow through with the logic here. A bottle doesn't sell because nobody wants to spend x dollars on this crappy wine. So the LCBO discounts it which generates a willing buyer at another outlet, but the LCBO won't let him buy it because it is on discount. So the LCBO gets to hang onto its crappy bottle longer.

I think I'm getting the hang of it now...


Yeah, it really doesn't make much sense. Maybe a policy that says it won't be shipped for two weeks after the discount -- so that time is given to clear out the inventory at the new price -- but after that surely a buyer is a buyer and anybody who is willing to pay money should be accommodated?

As for the original post and the issue related to additional trips for their trucks: I've always assumed that they have regular trucks driving back and forth between their central warehouse and the branch offices -- just for the purpose of distributing the new releases.

And, assuming that you aren't pressing for some kind of quick timelines on the transfer, then the bottles would just piggyback on to those trucks. No extra driving or fuel costs, just a little administrative work for somebody to get the transferred bottles on and off.

Am I over simplifying?
For those who prefer stories with an ending, here's how things ended up (although it's a bit like the end of the last episode of the Sopranos).

1. I haven't heard back from LCBO customer service - even though they said I would.

2. I happened to speak to the store manager and the PC today and I filled them in on what the clerk had said to me. This was the first that either of them had heard about it. The store manager was appalled and said he would give the clerk some customer service training.

3. The store manager said that ISTs are actually easier to do now than they were in the past, but when you're requesting a transfer from a larger store it can take longer, because they wait to consolidate all their transfer requests every couple of days.

4. The PC said that she has no idea why the LCBO phone rep told me that the product couldn't be transferred because it was "discontinued". LCBO doesn't even use that term. According to the PC, products are "delisted"... and in fact, ALL Vintages products are, technically speaking, delisted products. (This makes no sense to me, and I'm guessing it's more misinformation. I'm just reporting what I was told.) However, there is nothing to prevent an IST of a delisted product.

5. The PC called the other store this morning and put in a request for my 4 bottles. She received word a few hours later that the 4 bottles I wanted will be shipped tomorrow.

The amount of misinformation and confusion around something so bloody simple is headache-inducing. I'm still not clear on the facts, or what the truth is... or if there IS a singular, definitive truth.
"All VINTAGES customers may ask for regular release product to be transferred between stores if stock is still available two weeks after the release date. In-Store Discoveries products may be transferred one month after initial release. Please contact your local LCBO store to make arrangements. If you are looking for specific products or store locations, use our search options found in the top navigation."

"The LCBO & VINTAGES Clearance Sale offers price reductions on a selection of Wines, Spirits & Beers — on some familiar brands! Clearance product supplies are limited. Product selection may vary by store. No transfers between stores. In-store shopping only. Prices & savings subject to change."

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×