Given the popularity of the many LCBO-bashing threads that criticise them for charging too much and not letting us have enough high rating-point wines, I thought its time to stop sawing that same old log and take a different road.

So here's my first price alert...

2003 Azelia Barolo has been reduced from $53 to $42

It may not be your very best Barolo, but a good buy at the new price. Some stores don't seem to realise this has happened and their shelf stickers still reflect the original price, but you will get the lower price when you go to cash out.
Original Post
Good find. Also a decent buy is the '03 Scavino (normale) Barolo has also been on sale for a while at $45 from about $55.

On using the term "LCBO bashing", I'm not sure that's a fair thing to say. Reporting that Bordeaux costing $100 at LCBO is badly priced when it costs $60 elsewhere is not "bashing" but simply stating a fact.

I remember another "inventory clearance" sale thread which recommended the Torbreck Struie at $45 sale prices as a good buy. Also, with every Vintages Release thread are posts recommending good value wines. I remember one thread a while ago recommending the Madrigal from California for $20 when the same costs $35 in the US. Whether good bargains or bad deals, people here report the facts.

It's just that it's much more the case that prices are higher at LCBO that it appears is "bashing"; but instead, good or bad, it's calling a spade a spade.
Stevey - I wasn't objecting to the LCBO-bashing. It's well-deserved, and I generally share in the sentiments expressed. And I am a definite Libertarian-minded supporter of Slan's opinion that the government should get the **** out of the beverage business and other places it doesn't belong.

I do, however, think that we could use a thread that focuses on any opportunities that can be found at the LCBO for a good buy.

P.S. - Good point about the 03 Scavino. I had forgotten about that one.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Given the popularity of the many LCBO-bashing threads that criticise them for charging too much and not letting us have enough high rating-point wines, I thought its time to stop sawing that same old log and take a different road.

So here's my first price alert...

2003 Azelia Barolo has been reduced from $53 to $42

It may not be your very best Barolo, but a good buy at the new price. Some stores don't seem to realise this has happened and their shelf stickers still reflect the original price, but you will get the lower price when you go to cash out.


Thanks for the heads up, good idea for a thread BTW.
The LCBO has this 90-91 point Barolo on sale as well, SEGHESIO BAROLO VIGNETO LA VILLA 2003
Was $55 now $43.00 Smile
And since our out-of-town friends are dumping on 2003 Barolo, it reminds me that one of the more enjoyable wines I've had recently is...

2003 Corino Barolo @ $43

It was released through the in-store discovery program on March 15 and there's still some of it around. It's a very nicely blended (not single vineyard) Barolo for a decent price.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Stevey - I wasn't objecting to the LCBO-bashing. It's well-deserved, and I generally share in the sentiments expressed. And I am a definite Libertarian-minded supporter of Slan's opinion that the government should get the **** out of the beverage business and other places it doesn't belong.


No sweat, agree that this would be a great thread to start because good deals are relatively rare at LCBO!

Here's another one of a very limited nature... was just at Summerhill after lunch today and see two bottles of '05 Beaucastel Hommage in the coolers. Probably a return from the May Classics. The $325 asking is a very good price but alas too rich for my blood and thus still there begging to be picked up.
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Stevey - I wasn't objecting to the LCBO-bashing. It's well-deserved, and I generally share in the sentiments expressed. And I am a definite Libertarian-minded supporter of Slan's opinion that the government should get the **** out of the beverage business and other places it doesn't belong.


No sweat, agree that this would be a great thread to start because good deals are relatively rare at LCBO!

Here's another one of a very limited nature... was just at Summerhill after lunch today and see two bottles of '05 Beaucastel Hommage in the coolers. Probably a return from the May Classics. The $325 asking is a very good price but alas too rich for my blood and thus still there begging to be picked up.


They were just available at SAQ for $249 - might still be available
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
They were just available at SAQ for $249 - might still be available


Wait a minute... wasn't this suppose to be an bash-free LCBO zone? ;-)

Seriously though $249 is a great price for this wine! It's selling $400+ in many places in the US.
quote:
Originally posted by screwtop:
I just bought a bottle of Heartland Director's Cut Shiraz for $27, reduced from $32. The first time I tried this wine I loved it, the second time, not so much. This third time should tell me if I stock up or not.
$27 sounds like a very good price for that wine. I bought one bottle of the current release (@$32) and liked it as much as I did a couple of years ago. Do let us know how it went with the third bottle.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×