As my long-serving friend and LCBO store manager shared with me last week, "the warehouse is so incredibly overstocked right now, and there's more wine coming this way. Hold off for a bit; prices will drop, they have to."

I can't see there not being quarterly fire-sales, at the very least. And yes, those sales prices should have been the regular prices. The LCBO is greedy and this is much needed comeuppance.
quote:
Originally posted by tannic bastard:
I've heard from a little bird that the LCBO is particularly overweight on champagne, so watch in the future for a big champagne sale (I hope).

Funny, I blogged about that this week. In France, 2009 Q1 sales were down 29% over last yr; in foreign markets, off by more than 40%. You could ham-and-egg that the LCBO is off up to around 40%, too.

I'm looking forward to Champagne houses getting a big kick in the teeth. In the last 5ish years, they've created a price bubble just like Bordeaux. Time for the small gods to come back down to earth.
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy Kelley:
And yes, those sales prices should have been the regular prices. The LCBO is greedy and this is much needed comeuppance.


I couldn't agree more. There have been some baffling price hikes in recent months. One example previously noted by others: what gives with the $60 price tags on Ridge Geyserville and Lytton Springs when past vintages were priced at $40-45. Another is Chateau Musar for $80!! through the online site. Past pricing was approx. $50.
Start unrealistically high and then manufacture excitement by a "sale" of wine that in actual fact is still overpriced.
But, as we all know it's the only show in town, so they'll get our money sooner or later.
A little bird told me that beginning April 25 a number of "price adjustments" will take place (mostly from Sept. and Nov. 08 Classics):
RIVERA CASTEL DEL MONTE NERO DI TROIA PUER APULIAE 2004 was $43 now $34
CHÂTEAU CLOS DE SARPE 1999 was $76 now $59
MITOLO G.A.M. SHIRAZ 2006 (mag) was$130 now $100
MOCCAGATTA BARBARESCO BRIC BALIN 2004 was $75 now $59
CHÂTEAU SMITH-HAUT-LAFITTE ROUGE 2001 was $135 now $99
CLOS DE L'ORATOIRE 2003 was $100 now $79
CHÂTEAU PONTET CANET 1999 (mag) was $219 now $169
WARRE'S VINTAGE PORT 1994 was $115 now $89
QUINTA DE RORIZ VINTAGE PORT 2005 was $65 now $52
PENFOLDS YATTARNA CHARDONNAY 2005 was $99 now $75
TWO HANDS LILY'S GARDEN SHIRAZ 2006 was $66 now $50
and many more...
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh, that sounds promising, especially the Two Hands and the ports. Of course, it will be that many more bottles I'll have to schlep down to the store to get refunds on. I'm already up to nearly a case, with nearly $50 of total refunds due. Just the Two Hands alone should double that.
Some of those are going to be very hard to find. For example, the product search on LCBO's web site said there are zero bottles of the Clos de L'Oratoire out there.

Still, the 1994 Warre's is the only wine I would buy more of. The $89 price is slightly lower than what I paid. I'd buy the Moccagatta Bric Balin, but $59 is still not such a great price. Same for some of the others.
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
The sad thing is that the majority of the "sale" prices should have been the original cost.


The bordeaux are still expensive even at sale price. E.g., 2 I'm interested in, the '01 Guiraud is about $70 US (LCBO "sale" = $115) and the '05 Canon-la-Gaffelière $130 US (LCBO "sale" = $185).

Luckily there's no inventory of these anyway except in Ottawa. Roll Eyes
On Champagne, the LCBO is so stuffed with inventory it has enough to last through all of 2009 without ordering any new product. I've seen only a couple deals on champers, but I'm banking on further price reductions.

An agent I chatted with last week believes the LCBO will sit on most of the 2005 Bordeaux it still has, and re-release them 3-5 yrs from now, when markets recover and people go back to paying inflated prices for claret (I'm sure that will happen).

You're far more likely to see deals on Bordeaux from less-trumpeted years like '99, '02 and '04. As for the so-called "sales" on some '05s, yes, the LCBO prices are usually higher, forex adjusted, than the average regular US selling price. When I see that, I don't buy.
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy Kelley:
An agent I chatted with last week believes the LCBO will sit on most of the 2005 Bordeaux it still has, and re-release them 3-5 yrs from now, when markets recover and people go back to paying inflated prices for claret (I'm sure that will happen).

I'm sure you're right about the demand for high-priced vintages bouncing back. In fact, I'm not really sure there has been much decrease in buying among the big spenders in TO and Ottawa.

But it seems ironic that the LCBO may be doing an about-face on their goal of keeping inventories down to a bare minimum.
Stevey, the LCBO has 1 P&L but the Vintages P&L does roll up into the larger LCBO P&L. If you're Tom Wilson, who has a shitty record at best the last 2 years (declining volume and dollar sales), you are decidedly concerned about the Vintages financials. The costs of carrying over higher-end '05 clarets is marginal compared to discounting them by 25-40% right now, booking the sale at a lower strike price vs. carrying over the inventory as an asset on the balance sheet, and selling in the near future for a substantially higher price. It is naive to assume Vintages financial performance is not under the microscope (internally and externally) and merely sucked up into the LCBO's larger financials.
I only saw the consolidated P&L view and do not know results for Vintages only but according to their latest published Annual Report, results are improving year-to-year so I'm not sure where the "shitty records" are. I don't know who Tom Wilson is either but LCBO is not a normal business as the only game in town, so any reductions in sales volume of higher end products can be attributed to the economy and not to any loss in market share to which management may be responsible. And if Tom is concerned about his financials today then holding inventory for a few years isn't going to help his financials now and if you say he's been getting "shitty" results already, then he could be fired long before the '05's are back on the shelves in a few years, not helping him at all.

In other words, I just don't see how holding onto any '05 clarets can be of any help. It's a risk that even if prices do go up in a few years, how much higher into the stratosphere can LCBO mark up their bordeaux? Are we going to see $500 for the '05 Leoville Barton in a few years? Is there a price ceiling that above which the public will simply refused to pay? I don't know but I know, for me, the ceiling has already been reached.

But if the agent has inside information, then I guess he knows better.
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
I only saw the consolidated P&L view and do not know results for Vintages only but according to their latest published Annual Report, results are improving year-to-year so I'm not sure where the "shitty records" are. I don't know who Tom Wilson is either but LCBO is not a normal business as the only game in town, so any reductions in sales volume of higher end products can be attributed to the economy and not to any loss in market share to which management may be responsible. And if Tom is concerned about his financials today then holding inventory for a few years isn't going to help his financials now and if you say he's been getting "shitty" results already, then he could be fired long before the '05's are back on the shelves in a few years, not helping him at all.

In other words, I just don't see how holding onto any '05 clarets can be of any help. It's a risk that even if prices do go up in a few years, how much higher into the stratosphere can LCBO mark up their bordeaux? Are we going to see $500 for the '05 Leoville Barton in a few years? Is there a price ceiling that above which the public will simply refused to pay? I don't know but I know, for me, the ceiling has already been reached.

But if the agent has inside information, then I guess he knows better.


I have to agree with Darcy. If the LCBO lowers the price significantly across the board for their 2005 bordeaux's they have to write down the whole value of them. That's a big paper loss. As you so rightly said, as the LCBO is the only game in town, they don't have to mark-to-market their assets/inventory against any other companies (they are the market...)so they can afford to sit on those '05's as they "appreciate in value" or sit on them as they "ride through this economic downturn".

I think we also overstate the importance of this to the LCBO. Fine wine is important to us, but to the LCCBO, on the balance sheet of a few BILLION, the inventory of 2005 bordeaux is propbably less than $10-15 million or so.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
I only saw the consolidated P&L view and do not know results for Vintages only but according to their latest published Annual Report, results are improving year-to-year so I'm not sure where the "shitty records" are. I don't know who Tom Wilson is either but LCBO is not a normal business as the only game in town, so any reductions in sales volume of higher end products can be attributed to the economy and not to any loss in market share to which management may be responsible. And if Tom is concerned about his financials today then holding inventory for a few years isn't going to help his financials now and if you say he's been getting "shitty" results already, then he could be fired long before the '05's are back on the shelves in a few years, not helping him at all.

In other words, I just don't see how holding onto any '05 clarets can be of any help. It's a risk that even if prices do go up in a few years, how much higher into the stratosphere can LCBO mark up their bordeaux? Are we going to see $500 for the '05 Leoville Barton in a few years? Is there a price ceiling that above which the public will simply refused to pay? I don't know but I know, for me, the ceiling has already been reached.

But if the agent has inside information, then I guess he knows better.


I have to agree with Darcy. If the LCBO lowers the price significantly across the board for their 2005 bordeaux's they have to write down the whole value of them. That's a big paper loss. As you so rightly said, as the LCBO is the only game in town, they don't have to mark-to-market their assets/inventory against any other companies (they are the market...)so they can afford to sit on those '05's as they "appreciate in value" or sit on them as they "ride through this economic downturn".

I think we also overstate the importance of this to the LCBO. Fine wine is important to us, but to the LCCBO, on the balance sheet of a few BILLION, the inventory of 2005 bordeaux is propbably less than $10-15 million or so.


I think you are right....it is easy to miss the fact that VINTAGES sales account for such a small protion of the overall P&L of the LCBO. Having said that, I would love to see them sell the 05's off below futures prices.......I can see it already. All of us line up with our reciepts to get our money back and buy it at the cheaper price.
This latest online exclusive has to be the biggest rip-off in LCBO history.

$200 for a mag of Fontalloro! Even at the extremely overpriced Ontario retail of $70/750ml that's a HUGE premium for a mag... I can still buy this in the states for $42/bottle or $88/mag! The Galatrona is the same... $375 for a mag when I believe the '04 sold for about $100/bottle last year. Are these mag's made out of gold???? Is the wine better in a mag????
Gee -- a sales only at ONE store ... hmmm ... Rideau & King Edward is a nice store -- but --no transfers ..?

first wine I look at ...HITCHING POST ST. RITA'S EARTH PINOT NOIR 2005 ...need some more Pinot & Like Lafond & Sanford from area .. gee ...at WS rating of 76 points .... you better drop that price just a bot more ..:-(

Greg
Nothing really caught my eye on the whole list. And 20% off really isn't a sale. It probably brings some of the wines close to US retail prices, at best.

Greg H, the LCBO never transfers wine unless it's at the full retail price. When you have no real competition, you don't have to make the effort.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
I totally hear you....I am a 1977 baby and have had to source all of my birthyear port form the states....


Such a pain. I need to find someone in the states that comes to Toronto now and then.

How did you go about getting your ports ?
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy Kelley:
Nothing really caught my eye on the whole list. And 20% off really isn't a sale. It probably brings some of the wines close to US retail prices, at best.

Greg H, the LCBO never transfers wine unless it's at the full retail price. When you have no real competition, you don't have to make the effort.

IMO the wines which are worth buying are:

RIESLING SPÄTLESE 2007 Wehlener Sonnenuhr (Wegeler) $27.60
BAROLO LA VILLA 2004 (Seghesio) $52.65
BAROLO GINESTRA 2004 (Paolo Conterno) $51.05

I think both the Seghesio and Wegeler are a little below US pricing. Paolo Conterno isn't imported to the US.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne1979:
It makes me sad seeing all the cheap vintage port on winebid.com that we can't order here in Ontario =S


I totally hear you....I am a 1977 baby and have had to source all of my birthyear port form the states....


Last year i bought a 1977 Smith Woodhouse 1.5L at LCBO @ $391.70. Don't know whether it worth or not. Roll Eyes
quote:
Last year i bought a 1977 Smith Woodhouse 1.5L at LCBO @ $391.70. Don't know whether it worth or not.



I would say no, except of course that we in Ontario have no options unless we can buy in the US or elsewhere while travelling. Vintage ports, like bordeaux, is massively over-priced in Ontario, like twice as much as the average price in the US. That said, sometimes the prices are closer and I have bought many bottles here.

Welcome, BTW! Smile
I was just in the Queens Quay store and couldn't believe how packed the shelves were!!

I can just imagine how full the warehouse must be. They must be moving as much inventory to the stores as possible to make room.

Nice to see you can pick up decent bottles on sale as well (Roncaglie 2004 Barbaresco).

Cheers

MP
For anyone interested, someone returned a couple bottles each of 2001 Yalumba The Signature and 2004 Haan Shiraz Prestige to the St. Lawrence Market LCBO. There is also a full case of 2001 Clarendon Hills Grenache which is an ISD for this Saturday's release.
2006 Clos Des Papes is still available for $99 at classics. I struck out on the 05 and assume I will strike out on the 07. I noticed 07 is selling for $120 + in the US on futures. Take tax out $99 is essentially $87 ish... CT rates it pretty well.. anyone have any thoughts ? Anyone tried it ?
Hi

think that --#97576 -- 2003 Domaine Cazes Côtes du Roussillon Villages Alter de Cazes -- at $16.55 is a very nice value.

Appreciate knowing if your bottles showing a weak cork? And day#2 is better than day#1.

WS gives it a 90 and CT is close - could get spoiled at $17 - drank two at the old (higher( price - have more now.

Greg
I'm starting to think about Christmas wine-giving.

I have two categories of wine recipients. There are those who are interested in wine and I have no difficulties finding wine gifts for them. The other (larger) category are those people who drink wines but aren't especially involved with their wine choices. These are the ones I have a harder time with. I usually try to put together a selection with one sparkling, a basic red & white, and a dessert wine. The pails they sell at the LCBO make a good base for wrapping up 4 bottles as a gift.

This year I am at a bit of a loss to find a sparkling wine and a dessert wine. There are lots of options around, but I can't think of any real QPRs in those two categories. The issue is that I try to find wines which are not on everybody's standby list (e.g. Segura Viudas) but I'd rather find something that might be a little new for the recipients.

Any suggestions?
quote:
Originally posted by tannic bastard:
I urge you to buy every last bottle of this .


Cava, eh...is there a barfing emoticon? just kidding, i see cellartracker rates this ok. i think i prefer prosecco but maybe will get one, never can have too much bubbly stuff around.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
I'm starting to think about Christmas wine-giving.

I have two categories of wine recipients. There are those who are interested in wine and I have no difficulties finding wine gifts for them. The other (larger) category are those people who drink wines but aren't especially involved with their wine choices. These are the ones I have a harder time with. I usually try to put together a selection with one sparkling, a basic red & white, and a dessert wine. The pails they sell at the LCBO make a good base for wrapping up 4 bottles as a gift.

This year I am at a bit of a loss to find a sparkling wine and a dessert wine. There are lots of options around, but I can't think of any real QPRs in those two categories. The issue is that I try to find wines which are not on everybody's standby list (e.g. Segura Viudas) but I'd rather find something that might be a little new for the recipients.

Any suggestions?


Not sure what your budget is but the Yalumba Museum Reserve Muscat is delicious, has an attractive bottle and there is still plenty around at about $25. Both the Stratus Icewines (red and Reisling) are nice but are pricier at $39.
I found a store that had a case of 24 2005 Ch Suau on sale for $14. Not a great sauternes, but certainly a good QPR and one that most people will enjoy.

For the sparkling wine, all I can think of noe is the Roederer Estate that is in the Dec 5 Vintages release ($28). But I keep thinking that I should bre able to find something of equal quality for closer to $20.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Based just on the teaser list they put out, there's one wine that I will be getting more of and that's the 2004 Paleo Rosso. I bought 6 at the original $99 price and will turn that into at least a case at the sale price if I can.


I haven't had Paleo Rosso before, but am a big fan of Cab Franc - when it's ripe & done well. Do you tend to pick up any heat, or taste the alcohol, in the Paleo Rosso?
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy Kelley:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Based just on the teaser list they put out, there's one wine that I will be getting more of and that's the 2004 Paleo Rosso. I bought 6 at the original $99 price and will turn that into at least a case at the sale price if I can.


I haven't had Paleo Rosso before, but am a big fan of Cab Franc - when it's ripe & done well. Do you tend to pick up any heat, or taste the alcohol, in the Paleo Rosso?

The long growing period and often hot climate that you get in Tuscany ripens the fruit so that you don't get the vegetal flavours that so often come with cab franc, but I've never noticed the alcohol. (I just looked at the bottle and see it is posted at 13%)

I haven't quite tried all the vintages since they changed to 100% cab franc in 2001 (I've never even seen any 2002), but the 2001 and 2004 vintages are my favourite vintages. The 01 is very ripe and expressive, while the 04 has more structure and flavour depth. The price we are being offered here in Ontario compares favourably with the price in Italy (55-59 Euro) and is better than the US price.
The full sale list is up at vintages.com now. Other than the Paleo and a couple of Alsatian dessert wines, I don't see much to get me out of my easy chair.

I perked up when I saw 2003 Cerretalto on the list, but searching for inventory showed nothing available.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
I perked up when I saw 2003 Cerretalto on the list, but searching for inventory showed nothing available.
The JJ Prum reisling is also at zero inventory. I am convinced that half the reason they do this is to get around their exchange policy for those who don't have a receipt - mark down bottles with no inventory for anyone else who's bought it already to get squeezed on the exchange.
The LCBO search engine shows no quantities of 03 Casanova di Neri Cerretalto available anywhere. However, at least some stores are being shipped cases of this wine prior o the sale.

Lesson is that you shouldn't assume that search engine is always correct. It might pay to ask at your local store.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
The LCBO search engine shows no quantities of 03 Casanova di Neri Cerretalto available anywhere. However, at least some stores are being shipped cases of this wine prior o the sale.

Lesson is that you shouldn't assume that search engine is always correct. It might pay to ask at your local store.


right, i'll ask the people in the store, since they have a different search engine
There's another factor at play, too. The main warehouse may have product sequestered for the sale that has not yet been delivered to a retail location.

As it's been explained to me, when wine is received at a store, the quantity is then activated in the LCBO inventory system. So, store X might have a 1-case allocation but is showing quantity 0 now. When store X gets those bottles this Thurs or Fri, then that quantity would be updated to show 12. So, really, you have to check Friday evening to know what store has what physical quantity of a wine.
quote:
Originally posted by Yuka:
right, i'll ask the people in the store, since they have a different search engine


It's not about the search engine but the inventory system. The search engine is just a query tool. And while store staff may use a different search engine, they're querying the same inventory system, so they're seeing the same data as you. That's my understanding anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Darcy Kelley:
There's another factor at play, too. The main warehouse may have product sequestered for the sale that has not yet been delivered to a retail location.

As it's been explained to me, when wine is received at a store, the quantity is then activated in the LCBO inventory system. So, store X might have a 1-case allocation but is showing quantity 0 now. When store X gets those bottles this Thurs or Fri, then that quantity would be updated to show 12. So, really, you have to check Friday evening to know what store has what physical quantity of a wine.


Someone from the inside might know better but my understanding the LCBO # is set up centrally but it's up to the individual stores to enter their own inventory they receive into the system. So it's totally dependent on store staff and in some cases it's missed entirely either because they forgot or the LCBO # wasn't set up or was cancelled centrally. For example, the Atrium store had the 2005 Flaccianello on the shelves for probably 2 months but it was never shown in the inventory system.
Hi
Here are the links for Burgundy clearouts in ascending value from $28 thru $$80 ( stopped there ) - I see one or two - any additional pointers welcomed - looking for the funk-barnyard type and have only had a couple of Burg's which have been middle of cherry pop-funky continuum

Greg

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=629654
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=601567
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=201156
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=496442
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=200890
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=518624
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=661038
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=412443
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=332881
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=717049
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=616751

ps - was interesting to see LOUIS JADOT SANTENAY ROUGE CLOS DE MALTE 2005 9( CT # 412443 ) shows a street price of $25 - vs - clearout price of $60 - most of the others seemed much closer than this example
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
FWIW, the Queens Quay store has 2005 Caymus SS for $139 per bottle. The last time it was released here it was more like $155+


Probably the residual from the catologue Caymus release a month or so back.

How was it, by the way?
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
FWIW, the Queens Quay store has 2005 Caymus SS for $139 per bottle. The last time it was released here it was more like $155+


Probably the residual from the catologue Caymus release a month or so back.

How was it, by the way?


There were so many wines being poured last night that I was a bit overwhelmed. I do recall the Cliff Lede stealing the show over the Caymus. I'll be doing them both again tonite so I'll have a better idea how it is showing.
I second that on the Cliff Lede. While I enjoyed the concentration of the Caymus SS, the Cliff Lede was a more balanced, elegant wine. Ripe, articulated fruit and a good deal of oak spiciness. I'm not a fan of spicy oak, in general, but here it works.
Did you guys catch the article in either the NYT or WSJ last week (can't find it now) about many of California's high end wines down 40% in price from a year ago? If they're that cheaper there, I can't see the LCBO not negotiating a similar discount when buying. Time will tell.
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy Kelley:
Did you guys catch the article in either the NYT or WSJ last week (can't find it now) about many of California's high end wines down 40% in price from a year ago? If they're that cheaper there, I can't see the LCBO not negotiating a similar discount when buying. Time will tell.


Did not see that, but it makes sense since it seems like USA economy is about to hit the toilet again! Hold on to your hats, October is almost here!!
Frown
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
I love the Cliff Lede too, just having a really hard time with the $75 tariff. Probably will go back for a couple more because I'm weak, but this has really come up in price over the last few vintages.


Yeah, I see it readily available Stateside for $20 less. I had it again last night along with 2005 Caymus SS. The Lede is a well structured bruiser and should be forgotten for several years. The Caymus was surprisingly good to go, a much more elegant Cab compared to Lede. Both great in their own way.
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
There were so many wines being poured last night that I was a bit overwhelmed. I do recall the Cliff Lede stealing the show over the Caymus. I'll be doing them both again tonite so I'll have a better idea how it is showing.


Thanks!
Drank it over three hours on Wednesday and thought it was nice but not at the level of the 2005. It's very backward right now and much more traditional in style. I would give it 89 points and hope that it will improve with cellaring. I won't be touching my bottles until at least 2014-2016.

You'll find it quite austere right now, even with a lot of air.
They are obviously getting rid of Vintages-on-Line and are dumping the remaining inventory. But I have never seen such niggardly price discounts! Is anyone really going to buy a mediocre $50 wine for $5 off?

How about 2004 Alpha Estate Red from the leading wine regions of Macedonia for $35? I think they really want to keep these wines for themselves. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I meant to post about this a couple of weeks ago, but I'll add it now. I found a 375ml of 2003 Chateau Haut-Mayne Sauternes for $23 at my local LCBO clear-out bin. I haven't really been able to find any information about when this was released and what the original list price was. Most importantly I haven't been able to find any professional reviews on it though it has a ct avg of 90.8 which I would consider decent for the money.

Not sure if it was old stock or a return, but I'd guess the latter. The cashier told me it had been delisted the day I bought it which I thought was kind of strange.

Any thoughts?
quote:
Originally posted by tannic bastard:
It was released Sep 30, 2006 for... $23. LCBO strikes again!


Thanks tb, 2/3 from Guide Hachette and the VA score are both really reassuring. I'll hold this for a few years and open and if it is flawed then it'll be going back.

On a side note I paid $23.05 for my bottle. Not discounted at all! I'm guessing the extra $0.10 is due to the increased bottle deposit since this was released.
When their inventory goes down to the last few bottles, the LCBO have been putting them into a 'last chance' bin which customers mistakenly assume is price-reduced. It looks like a clear-out bin, but if you read the sign, it doesn't actually say so.

Just part of the game.
Walked into Laird St LCBO yesterday and found a large number of items marked down by 30%. Picked up some:

2005 Hartford Court 4 Hearts Chardonnay (not as good as the 2007, but a good buy at $35)
2005 Roux & Fils Chassagne-Montrachet Les Macherelles
2006 Gunderloch Riesling Spätlese Rheinhessen Nackenheim Rothenberg
2006 Henri Gouges Nuits St George Les Pruliers
2008 Tenuta dell'Ornellaia Serre Nuovo
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy Kelley:
Did you guys catch the article in either the NYT or WSJ last week (can't find it now) about many of California's high end wines down 40% in price from a year ago? If they're that cheaper there, I can't see the LCBO not negotiating a similar discount when buying. Time will tell.


Yes, I can't see LCBO not negotiating a similar discount, AND I also can't see them passing the entire discount on to their customers.
Isn't this related to the whole pricing fiasco that was revealed a year ago by a number of folks here as well as columnists in the dailies - they work off fixed markups, so they can charge more if the supplier charges them more. I recall hearing something about the chateau/distributor being told by the LCBO to charge more or they'd be dropped. It's been a while though any my brain is increasingly foggy these days.
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:
FWIW, HAWKES CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2004 is $29.95, down from its original $31.95 back in December 2009. Oddly, it seems to be selling in the US for about $40. The Can/US price differential caught my eye - not often seen on LCBO shelves.


Saw this on the shelf at one of the satellite stores and recalled your posting. Definitely needs air; dranked over 2 days and was clearly better on day 2 - dense blackcurrent with hard but well integrated tannins, as good as other California cabs at twice it's price at least. Good structure and weight, this can be stored for another 5 years easy.

Excellent for $40 nevermind $30 at LCBO. Went back and cleaned the store of its remaining bottles. Thanks for the tip VinToronto!
The '04 Hawkes Cab is disappointing.

There shouldn't be so much brett (if any) in an Alex Valley Cab. This has brett on the nose and palate. Strike two is the capsicum; is a noticeable bell pepper tang. Might be a 90+ point wine for some, but not me.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×