quote:
Originally posted by tannic bastard:
Quinta do Vallado Touriga Nacional 2008 in todays VSO for $32
https://www.vintagesshoponline...?lang=en&item=137018
US release for this was $50+. Currently on "sale" at Wine Library for $50.


Big wine. Opened with sawdust and black bitter fruit balanced by some richness. Wood and tannin seemed to calm down after maybe 15 minutes in the glass to leave a big wine, with a little port-like medicinal quality on the finish that could have been better balanced with a bit more flesh in the middle (maybe just closed, and the nose was fairly faint after the initial pour). A few unexpected hints of red fruits (i.e. raspberries) here and there on the nose and palate. Will give the rest of the bottle another go tonight. I like wines like this, but might not be everyone's cup of tea.
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
quote:
Originally posted by tannic bastard:
Quinta do Vallado Touriga Nacional 2008 in todays VSO for $32
https://www.vintagesshoponline...?lang=en&item=137018
US release for this was $50+. Currently on "sale" at Wine Library for $50.


Big wine. Opened with sawdust and black bitter fruit balanced by some richness. Wood and tannin seemed to calm down after maybe 15 minutes in the glass to leave a big wine, with a little port-like medicinal quality on the finish that could have been better balanced with a bit more flesh in the middle (maybe just closed, and the nose was fairly faint after the initial pour). A few unexpected hints of red fruits (i.e. raspberries) here and there on the nose and palate. Will give the rest of the bottle another go tonight. I like wines like this, but might not be everyone's cup of tea.


As per usual Machine...thanks for taking one for the team....I am still on the fence on this one and will wait to see your final impressions tonight. Thanks again
More of the same tonight. Drank from burgundy glass over probably 6 hours. Muted nose of maraschino cherry. Black and tannic, black cherry and plum, and some red fruits on the nose and palate. Yesterday's port-like medicinal qualities are nowhere to be found (they were reminiscent of tawny port that had been opened for several days I think...all gone now, which is fine with me). If tasted blind i would swear this was CDP with maybe 40% or less grenache, maybe a mix between 2005 and 2007 CDP. As I near the bottom of the glass I am getting a little more candied cherry. I like tannin and bitter plus fruit in the mix, and although I don't find anything I dislike here, it just seems closed to me. Enjoyable for what it is now, but closed. Balance was fine except maybe the bitterness, and did not get any of the mocha, spice, or iron that WS got, but I'm fine with this one.
Took a chance and grabbed 3 of the 2009 Dauvergne-Ranvier Vacqueyras Vin Rare - $25.95

A candidate for wine of the vintage, the 2009 Vacqueyras Vin Rare, a blend of 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah aged in both tank and small oak, is one of the most spectacular, concentrated and ageworthy wines I tasted from the 2009 vintage. Its opaque purple color is accompanied by full-bodied, massive flavor concentration. This highly textured, layered wine has plenty of blackberry and kirsch fruit intermixed with licorice, camphor, graphite and forest floor. Complex as well as youthful and primary, this sensational Vacqueyras should drink well for 10-12+ years. 93 Points (Robert Parker)
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by aml:
Took a chance and grabbed 3 of the 2009 Dauvergne-Ranvier Vacqueyras Vin Rare - $25.95

+1

I assume you got the RP review on eRP. I'm not a subscriber and I don't see that posted anywhere else on the net, must be pretty new...


Had this on Thursday night...not overly impressive at this point. No formal notes, but I would rate it about an 88. Heavy kirsch and licorice notes, but I wasn't getting a lot of graphite or forest floor. I found this to be a bit hot on the finish. I'll hold my other two and see where it goes, but I'm not expecting much.
quote:
Originally posted by Bigprovolone:
It must be leftovers from a special order or something because Summerhill also had the 06 Dominus too, seems like someone dug out a stash!


As you are probably aware, the older bottles we find here and there have a high probability of being returns. With the unusually old items that aren't easily associated with classics program, I check with the PC. LCBO policy on returns (even with bottles accompanied by a product complaint - dump it down the drain brown) is to stick it right back on the shelf for the next unsuspecting customer.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigprovolone:
It must be leftovers from a special order or something because Summerhill also had the 06 Dominus too, seems like someone dug out a stash!


As you are probably aware, the older bottles we find here and there have a high probability of being returns. With the unusually old items that aren't easily associated with classics program, I check with the PC. LCBO policy on returns (even with bottles accompanied by a product complaint - dump it down the drain brown) is to stick it right back on the shelf for the next unsuspecting customer.


I wouldn't be concerned with the products mentioned. The 2006 Dominus is available via VSO right now, so it's not like it is something that has been out of the supply chain for a number of years. The older Beaucastel are leftovers from the Vintages Beaucastel Dinner last year, that were initially offered via Direct Sales, but then shipped out to Queens Quay.

With other older products, I can certainly agree with you. I've returned product that I believe to be defective, and as long as it is unopened, I'll see it back on the shelf the next day.
These didn't seem to go so quickly at first. I bought two on Thursday with 27 still in stock. Someone must have grabbed a bunch. I'll be picking them up later this week to try over the weekend. I hope I don't end up regretting that I had not bought more.
quote:
Originally posted by imwithid:
These didn't seem to go so quickly at first. I bought two on Thursday with 27 still in stock. Someone must have grabbed a bunch. I'll be picking them up later this week to try over the weekend. I hope I don't end up regretting that I had not bought more.

I think that "someone" calls himself tannic bastard. Just a wild guess Wink
quote:
Originally posted by imwithid:
These didn't seem to go so quickly at first. I bought two on Thursday with 27 still in stock. Someone must have grabbed a bunch. I'll be picking them up later this week to try over the weekend. I hope I don't end up regretting that I had not bought more.


Overall, they did go quite quickly. There was well over 300 units when it was originally posted here. It dwindled down to just over 30 after about 48 hours and then stayed there until this announcement.
quote:
Originally posted by Bigprovolone:
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
Large format 2009 Beaucastel on VSO as of this morning.


Grabbed myself a mag and double mag this morning!


Looking forward to the offline in 2045 when that baby will be ready to open. Wheel me into the restaurant, pour some down my feeding tube and let's party!
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigprovolone:
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
Large format 2009 Beaucastel on VSO as of this morning.


Grabbed myself a mag and double mag this morning!


Looking forward to the offline in 2045 when that baby will be ready to open. Wheel me into the restaurant, pour some down my feeding tube and let's party!


Im sure we can all get a taste interveinusly (spelling challenged) Lol
quote:
Originally posted by imwithid:
quote:
2009 Beaucastel


So the 1500 mL goes for $179 and the 3000 mL for $409? Did I miss something at the 3000 mL mark? I take it the $49 premium is the showcase value?


Larger formats are often more than twice the price, usually due to their scarcity and collector's demands. If you are buying just to drink, then buy 2 bottles of the 750ml.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by imwithid:
quote:
2009 Beaucastel

So the 1500 mL goes for $179 and the 3000 mL for $409? Did I miss something at the 3000 mL mark? I take it the $49 premium is the showcase value?

Larger formats are often more than twice the price, usually due to their scarcity and collector's demands. If you are buying just to drink, then buy 2 bottles of the 750ml.

As Mimik states, Magnums typically cost more than just twice the price (reflecting 2 bottles content). This is due to more than 'collector demand' and scarcity, however. Fewer bottlings in this format typically make production costs higher (shorter runs, unique bottle & label requirements, etc).

These formats are sometimes considered 'collectable' for a couple of reasons and 'showcasing' is not typically the first for a serious collector. Wine worth aging will age better, over a longer period of time, in this format. Many owners & wine makers will tell you that this is the 'preferred format' for cellaring long term. So if this is your intention than this format is certainly something to consider if given the option. How much of a cost premium this is worth is up to you. For some wines you will find the cost demanded to be quite substantial.

Larger formats can be cosidered as well. However, above the magnum format size you are dealing with hand-cut corks and waxing. The potential of leakage/seeping issues is typically higher and the 'loss' of a corked or otherwise damaged wine greater. All things to consider with larger formats.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by imwithid:
quote:
2009 Beaucastel

So the 1500 mL goes for $179 and the 3000 mL for $409? Did I miss something at the 3000 mL mark? I take it the $49 premium is the showcase value?

Larger formats are often more than twice the price, usually due to their scarcity and collector's demands. If you are buying just to drink, then buy 2 bottles of the 750ml.

As Mimik states, Magnums typically cost more than just twice the price (reflecting 2 bottles content). This is due to more than 'collector demand' and scarcity, however. Fewer bottlings in this format typically make production costs higher (shorter runs, unique bottle & label requirements, etc).

These formats are sometimes considered 'collectable' for a couple of reasons and 'showcasing' is not typically the first for a serious collector. Wine worth aging will age better, over a longer period of time, in this format. Many owners & wine makers will tell you that this is the 'preferred format' for cellaring long term. So if this is your intention than this format is certainly something to consider if given the option. How much of a cost premium this is worth is up to you. For some wines you will find the cost demanded to be quite substantial.

Larger formats can be cosidered as well. However, above the magnum format size you are dealing with hand-cut corks and waxing. The potential of leakage/seeping issues is typically higher and the 'loss' of a corked or otherwise damaged wine greater. All things to consider with larger formats.


Great post, KSC. I learn something new every time I check these boards. Thanks. Smile
Two new markdowns that are pretty good deals IMO:

2007 Chante Cigale Tradition Ch√Ęteauneuf Du Pape - Release: $37.95 Markdown: $31.20
2008 Stolpman Vineyards L'Avion Roussanne - Release: $46.95 Markdown: $38.05

If I had a wine budget left I'd pick up a few of each.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×