quote:
Originally posted by 7smcb:
Why not make available to them the information that there has been a price reduction? I mean, assuming that you actually want to sell the wine...

I think the term for this behaviour is 'anal retentiveness'
quote:
Originally posted by screwtop:
I just bought a bottle of Heartland Director's Cut Shiraz for $27, reduced from $32. The first time I tried this wine I loved it, the second time, not so much. This third time should tell me if I stock up or not.


Finding a good wine on sale is great but sometimes it is possible to find comparable wines more readily available which are priced right from the start. Anyone that likes the Heartland Director's Cut Shiraz (and I am an unabashed fan) may be well advised to keep a little change in their pocket for when the 2012 Troy Kalleske Pirathon Shiraz becomes available on the April 16th Release at $29.95. An all Barossa shiraz sourced from premium vineyards in the Northeast corner such as Belvedere, Moppa, Greenock, Seppetsfeld, Ebenezer. This baby only comes around every four years or so.
CHEERS
nicos - welcome back. You should post more often than every three years!

BTW - if you still maintain your list of what's been marked down across the system, can you please provide a link? Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
nicos - welcome back. You should post more often than every three years!

BTW - if you still maintain your list of what's been marked down across the system, can you please provide a link? Thanks.


+1 -- on both counts!

And thanks for the tip on the Pirathon, I too am a big fan of Director's Cut but missed getting even a single bottle this time.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
nicos - welcome back. You should post more often than every three years!

BTW - if you still maintain your list of what's been marked down across the system, can you please provide a link? Thanks.


The list of products for the February 29th Delist was small enough that it could be copied here.

VINTAGES BOARD-WIDE DELIST EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 29, 2016
CSPC# NAME Was Save New
57356 2012 Howling Moon Zinfandel 22.95 3.7 19.25
223792 Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Blancs 34.95 6.2 28.75
299883 2013 Domaine Ruet Douby Morgon 19.95 3.7 16.25
360255 2013 Reif Estate Reserve Gewurztraminer VQA 18.95 3.2 15.75
366112 2013 Alberto Furque Malbec 16.95 1.2 15.75
414904 Seyringer Jagatee 23.95 3.2 20.75
420687 Sidonio de Sousa Brut Nature Rose 17.95 3.2 14.75
424796 012 Manoir du Carra Les Burdelines Moulin A Ven 22.95 3.7 19.25
427518 2013 Srewn Canadian Oak Meritage VQA 24.95 4.7 20.25
429134 2011 Domaine Charles Audoin Au Champ Salomon Marsannay 49.95 8.7 41.25
429860 2013 Almadi Cabernet Sauvignon 17.95 2.7 15.25
429936 2014 Quercus Sauvignon Blanc 14.95 1.7 13.25
430520 2014 J. Fritsch Alsace Riesling 19.95 2.7 17.25
431163 Varnelli Secco Speciale Anice 49.95 5.7 44.25
432831 2012 Gordon Estate Syrah 32.95 5.7 27.25
433318 2014 Raphael Midoir Pouilly Fume 24.95 4.7 20.25
435388 2010 Biggio Hamina Pinot Noir 53.95 4.7 49.25
651299 2011 Cantina del Taburno Fidelis Sannio Aglianico 19.95 2.7 17.25
662197 2013 Mazzei Badiola 18.95 3.2 15.75
977843 2013 Alvaro Palacios Velles Vinyes Les Terrases 48.95 9.2 39.75
987503 2014 Bollini Barricato 40 Chardonnay 15.95 2.2 13.75

Hope the formatting is clear enough to read...

BTW, any product to be delisted at my store has had the bin tag marked with a red dot (courtesy of a bingo dabber) which lets customers know that these products are to be price reduced effective on a Monday in the near future. This prevents someone buying a Les Terrases on Sunday at $48.95 and then returning on Monday to buy some extra bottles learning they could have saved nine bucks if they had waited a day.

CHEERS
quote:
Originally posted by nicos:
BTW, any product to be delisted at my store has had the bin tag marked with a red dot (courtesy of a bingo dabber) which lets customers know that these products are to be price reduced effective on a Monday in the near future. This prevents someone buying a Les Terrases on Sunday at $48.95 and then returning on Monday to buy some extra bottles learning they could have saved nine bucks if they had waited a day.
CHEERS

Thank you, nicos. LCBO could use more PC's like you. A LOT more.
I had never stepped foot in the Oakville store at Dundas and Trafalgar, but stopped on my way home from a conference to grab a bottle of the 2011 Ridge Monte Bello to add to my existing supply. I was surprised to see that in addition to a good supply of the aforementioned markdowns, they had marked down a couple dozen other items. I grabbed a couple of the 2004 Faustino I Gran Riserva @ $28. Despite the tacky packaging I think what's inside is actually pretty decent traditional Rioja.

There were lots of discounted wines I wouldn't be interested in buying at any price, but a few that interested me were:

2011 Maison Roche de Bellene Puligny-Montrachet Les Referts 1er Cru - $71
2012 Vincent De La Remondière Marsannay - $24.00
2013 Antinori Castello della Sala Cervaro della Sala - $46
2011 Paitin Sori' Paitin Barbaresco - $39
2004 Faustino I Gran Riserva Rioja - $28
2013 Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chardonnay - $61
2013 Flowers Sonoma Coast Chardonnay - $52

+ More
A number of overpriced items on VSO have been discounted - in their bin ends.

I passed on all but two bottles of the 2012 Chante Cigale CNP Vielles Vignes.

Edit - and the 2012 St. Prefert CNP Reserve...
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
quote:
Originally posted by Lohengrin:
Bollinger Grande Annee down to $136.75

Not sure the vintage though.


MV


"MV"?? I only see vintage bottles on cellartracker. And the picture of the bottle on the Vintages website shows a vintage though none is mentioned otherwise
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
quote:
Originally posted by Lohengrin:
Bollinger Grande Annee down to $136.75

Not sure the vintage though.


MV


"MV"?? I only see vintage bottles on cellartracker. And the picture of the bottle on the Vintages website shows a vintage though none is mentioned otherwise

Machine, if you're joking, you missed the mark by an M. You should have said MMV. As in 2005.

It's not in the same league as the 2002 or 2004, but it's still a Grande Annee.
quote:
Originally posted by Lohengrin:
quote:
It's not in the same league as the 2002 or 2004, but it's still a Grande Annee.

Worth trying at that price?

I'm just basing that comment on what I know of the vintage and what I've read about the 2005 GA specifically. Apparently the 2005 Grande Année more of a near-term drinker. Personally, I'm on the fence re: value. For near-term drinking there are plenty of solid NV bottles for half that price or less. Still, I like the GA style very much...
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by Lohengrin:
quote:
It's not in the same league as the 2002 or 2004, but it's still a Grande Annee.

Worth trying at that price?

I'm just basing that comment on what I know of the vintage and what I've read about the 2005 GA specifically. Apparently the 2005 Grande Année more of a near-term drinker. Personally, I'm on the fence re: value. For near-term drinking there are plenty of solid NV bottles for half that price or less. Still, I like the GA style very much...


I passed when I realized it's the 2005. 2004 great, 2002 amazing, 2008 really looking forward too. 2005? I'd rather buy something else.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I passed when I realized it's the 2005. 2004 great, 2002 amazing, 2008 really looking forward too. 2005? I'd rather buy something else.


Something else available here by any chance? I need more bubbly.
quote:
Originally posted by 7smcb:
Weston/401 has NV Diebolt-Vallois Cuvée Prestige BdB for $48.25.

You mean I didn't get them all?
quote:
Originally posted by 7smcb:
Weston/401 has NV Diebolt-Vallois Cuvée Prestige BdB for $48.25.


They have over a case left as of about 10pm.

Thoughts/notes on this? How does is stack up against the Giraud Hommage recently discounted?
I thought I cleaned them out!!!

I had one this weekend and thought it was good - very good. Leans to the cleaner, sharper / less yeasty style of champagne. I got some lovely floral notes on the nose I really liked.
The little bugger is putting them out a few at a time, like mouse droppings...

Next time, I'm going to put him up against the wall and grill him!
2012 Inglenook 1882 on sale for $62 at the Carleton Place store. Seems like a good deal, until you realize that's the REGULAR price at the SAQ.....
not necessairily a discount alert but weston has some 2011 Az. Ag. Randi 'Burson' Ravenna Rosso that i tried on a punt the other night at $18 having never tried a ravenna IGT - i liked it enough that i went back and bought 12 more today.

There is also some diebolt-vallois left on the shelf and 2013 shafer red shoulder ranch marked down to $54
There are a half dozen 2004 Conterno Fantino Sori Genestra available at Cooper Street. Tagged at $109 but scanned and bought at $98 each. Not sure how great of a deal it is relative to US prices but I suspect it's good.
quote:
Originally posted by JDWest:
There are a half dozen 2004 Conterno Fantino Sori Genestra available at Cooper Street. Tagged at $109 but scanned and bought at $98 each. Not sure how great of a deal it is relative to US prices but I suspect it's good.

$109 was the price for this wine in the Fall 2009 Classics catalogue.
Not much to talk about lately under the 'value' topic at the LCBO. I'm not sure this qualifies either, but it is the best I have seen at Crossroads in quite a while:

2011 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo @$37 (stained labels)
2013 Boroli Langhe Anna Rosso @$13.50 (blend of 50% nebbiolo, 33% barbera, 11% merlot)

If that doesn't do it for you, then fuhgeddaboudit. Value ain't happenin in Ontario!
There was some 2012 Gramercy Village idiot Mourvedre on the shelf for $52 (i think) when i passed through Weston last night.
The Rideau/King Edward store here in Ottawa has a few bottles of 2004 Dunn Howell Mountain Cabernet in their wine fridge for $99.
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
The Rideau/King Edward store here in Ottawa has a few bottles of 2004 Dunn Howell Mountain Cabernet in their wine fridge for $99.


All of which I'm guessing you bought??!! Wink
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
The Rideau/King Edward store here in Ottawa has a few bottles of 2004 Dunn Howell Mountain Cabernet in their wine fridge for $99.


All of which I'm guessing you bought??!! Wink

No, I left a few
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
The Rideau/King Edward store here in Ottawa has a few bottles of 2004 Dunn Howell Mountain Cabernet in their wine fridge for $99.


All of which I'm guessing you bought??!! Wink

No, I left a few


Then someone got the others as there is only one left! But I forgive you..... Razz Smile

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×