LCBO Online auction

quote:
Originally posted by Gsmfan:
I say mad rush on Saturday. Why would I post my bid now?

i agree.....i haven't bid at all...
Now....that is more to the fact that I have no money after losing my mind at the october auction and in the fall classics....
I am trying to hold off but if there are deals, I will be in
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Hard to fathom staying home on a Saturday evening just to buy more wine - or worse yet, going out and staying glued to your smartphone!

Y'all need a psycho!

But I rather do that than standing in line on Saturday 9am in front of LCBO and hopefully get 1 bottle of the release. Bang
Anybody picked up anything interesting? I wanted to taste some old Bordeaux (to make sure I should stick with buying some given how long they can take to mature). So I got an 1982 Calon Segur and 3 1990 Chateau Haut Marbuzet. Not sure they're the best I could get but they were affordable and should give me a good sense of what an older Bordeau can be like.
quote:
Anybody picked up anything interesting? I wanted to taste some old Bordeaux (to make sure I should stick with buying some given how long they can take to mature). So I got an 1982 Calon Segur and 3 1990 Chateau Haut Marbuzet. Not sure they're the best I could get but they were affordable and should give me a good sense of what an older Bordeau can be like.

I nearly bid on that one. The 82 Calon Segur looked nice, less certain about the Marbuzet, but the price looked reasonable. Hope you enjoy and please post notes!
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Looks like almost 200 lots (25%) went unsold. If I were a cash-strapped provincial government, not sure I'd be too happy about that.

Were the opening bids set by the seller or by Mr. Yoxall and team?

I'm not surprised. Some of the reserves were set so high that I just ignored those lots. I wasn't really looking at the Bordeaux, but I didn't see much value among the rest.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:
I picked up the magnum of poggio antico 1995 bdm, primarily because I want to compare it with a younger vintage.

ABryce, congrats on your first auction purchase. It's all downhill from here. Wink

Sure sounds like a fun ride though!
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I watched a few lots and then went to KL & Wine bid and scratched my itchy trigger finger there with some SGN's and 2001 J.J.Prum auslese. Potentially some 1992 Dalla Valle as well.

Rob, what kind of duties and shipping costs do you end up having to pay when ordering from this website? Does it differ whether you bid on something vs. simply purchase?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I watched a few lots and then went to KL & Wine bid and scratched my itchy trigger finger there with some SGN's and 2001 J.J.Prum auslese. Potentially some 1992 Dalla Valle as well.

Rob, what kind of duties and shipping costs do you end up having to pay when ordering from this website? Does it differ whether you bid on something vs. simply purchase?

I'd also like to know
K&L has no buyer premium so it's just shipping to so place in the US where you have to go pick it up. WineBid has a 14% premium plus shipping. Still cheaper and you can buy $50 bottles all day long from auctions in the US whereas the LCBO one seems to be mostly trophies or near enough to to not matter.
One advantage you have with K&L auctions is that they will hold onto your wine. In my case, I don't travel into the US very often and they have been holding some wine since October until my next scheduled trip to Indian Wells in March.

By contrast, the LCBO doesn't want to provide storage for you (not sure I really blame them) and pushes you to pick up your auction wine asap.

Add Reply

Likes (0)