so??? what did you all buy?

me, so far, not much, Beychevelle, got 3, a case of Beaumont and a case of senejac because they always sell out fast

will eventually buy

catemerle

malescot

siran

clerc milon

darmilac

latour martilac

pape clement...

trying to play the game to see how sales go so I can avoid giving the government my deposit 30 months in advance... pretty much just buying drinking wines that I enjoy, nothing earth shattering as an investment, 3300 for petrus, I paid 999 for 2014 and it scored the same FFS

anyone buy anything special they researched? I didn't put much effort into looking at the 2018 year,

Original Post

Zippo. The last vintage I bought in any quantity was 2009. I did buy some 2012, 14 and 15, but only 12-24 bottles of each vintage - and I bought all of those in the states. Even with the exchange and duty it's still cheaper to shop there than through the KGBO - provided you shop around and wait for the deals.

what sunny said, but at reduced quantity even then.  KGBO is completely f---ed on BDX pricing.  multiples worse than the normal degree of gouging.  they dont care if someone keeps buying it, and if not they flog it on classics a few years later at exponential higher prices than what open market commands.  

One example:

2014 Chateau Montrose cost me $107 USD.

Meanwhile the 2017 is $249 from the KGBO and the 2018 is $325.  (The 2018 is readily available in the US for $170, and I expect you can find offers for less than that. JJB usually has excellent Bordeaux futures pricing in their private email offers.)

haggis posted:

Last time I bought futures was 2000.  I just cherry pick later, often for better prices.  Plus, at age 65, I'm not interested in holding anything long-term.

Same here, for the same reason.  In other news, happy to see you are (just barely) older than me! 

Add Reply

Likes (0)