I make my normal lasagne with ricotta cheese (I like the richness), but I know some people use cottage cheese instead. I'm planning on trying a new recipe for a ground veal and broccoli lasagne that calls for cottage cheese. My first thought was just to use ricotta instead, but I began wondering if the richness of ricotta might hinder the flavors of the veal/broccoli from coming forward and that is why the recipe calls for cottage cheese. Any thoughts on that or should I just go ahead and use ricotta?
Original Post
I'm not Italian (although my name suggests it is). I've never heard of cottage cheese being used in a pasta or dessert dish that had Italian origins. In fact, I don't think I've eaten cottage cheese, and I love cheese.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
I'm not Italian (although my name suggests it is). I've never heard of cottage cheese being used in a pasta or dessert dish that had Italian origins. In fact, I don't think I've eaten cottage cheese, and I love cheese.

It's actually somewhat common for lasagna. I've had lasagna once with cottage cheese (I didn't make it), and didn't like it nearly as much. Was a little bland for my taste. So ricotta for the new recipe its is.

Thanks all.
Ricotta obviously. Cottage Cheese - gross. My assumption is that CC was used as a cheap and readily available alternative - this is common I believe in bulk made lasagna - for example made in school cafeterias or camps etc. I am sure I have eaten it in that context growing up.

To be avoided.
Actually, there is a very good reason why the recipe calls for cottage cheese.

It's because the author of the recipe can't spell ricotta.
After posting this, I did a search online regarding the subject. There was actually a long thread on some food/cooking site with people arguing about whether to use ricotta or cottage cheese. I was amazed because like everyone here I've always used ricotta. Guess there is a contingent that really likes cottage cheese. Maybe if your mother made lasagna with cottage cheese when you were growing up it might just be what you're used to, but I just don't see the appeal.
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
I agree with bechamel and meat sauce. But for the OP I went for the best suited answer to the question. Smile

+1
Normally for lasagna I use ricotta, béchamel sauce with parmigiano, meat sauce and mozzarella -- and then I serve it with additional meat sauce on the side. This new recipe I'm trying doesn't call for the béchamel, though I might include it.
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
I agree with bechamel and meat sauce. But for the OP I went for the best suited answer to the question. Smile

No white sauce. This calls for a tomato sauce, thick and rich
I use bechamel with a ragu...no ricotta or cottage cheese in mine. But if I had to choose it would be ricotta.
Guys....bechamel sauce for lasagna: Should it be medium or thick? Do you mix it with mozzarella in between the layers? Just curious as I would like to use this.
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
After posting this, I did a search online regarding the subject. There was actually a long thread on some food/cooking site with people arguing about whether to use ricotta or cottage cheese. I was amazed because like everyone here I've always used ricotta. Guess there is a contingent that really likes cottage cheese. Maybe if your mother made lasagna with cottage cheese when you were growing up it might just be what you're used to, but I just don't see the appeal.

i will admit that i just threw up a little in my mouth when i read cottage cheese in lasagna

garfield would certainly not approve
quote:
Originally posted by WineTrooper:
Guys....bechamel sauce for lasagna: Should it be medium or thick? Do you mix it with mozzarella in between the layers? Just curious as I would like to use this.

thick and cheesy.

the other ingredients are wet enough that you'll get more water extraction as you cook.

This acts like a cheese base much like mac and cheese
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
I make my normal lasagne with ricotta cheese (I like the richness), but I know some people use cottage cheese instead. I'm planning on trying a new recipe for a ground veal and broccoli lasagne that calls for cottage cheese. My first thought was just to use ricotta instead, but I began wondering if the richness of ricotta might hinder the flavors of the veal/broccoli from coming forward and that is why the recipe calls for cottage cheese. Any thoughts on that or should I just go ahead and use ricotta?

Be serious. Ricotta. Cottage cheese is not for lasagne by any stretch.
When I was growing up in Iowa, mom made it with cottage cheese. Ricotta was simply not available in local stores then (the horror). Perhaps this is an older recipe? As for me, I would use ricotta, there will never be cottage cheese in my lasagna.
quote:
Originally posted by GalvezGuy:
When I was growing up in Iowa, mom made it with cottage cheese.

I didn't grow up in Iowa, but my mom used cottage cheese as well, probably for the same reason as yours. Keep in mind, I was probably 8 when I first had it, but I liked it. Wouldn't go back, but it worked...

PH
I don't think ricotta cheese was well known outside of the Italian-American circles back in the day. You can probably add other ingredients to that list.
Like "Parmesian" cheese. Only sold by the artisinal farmers at Kraft. I ingested a lot of cellulose fiber in my youth... It was better than American cheese though...

PH
I don't think I've ever had lasagna with cottage cheese. Like prison, it's an experience I don't feel that I'm missing out on.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
I don't think I've ever had lasagna with cottage cheese. Like prison, it's an experience I don't feel that I'm missing out on.

I am SO stealing that line.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.